PDA

View Full Version : Wbr Tokens

trevaftw
12-01-2013, 03:59 PM
So I've always been a fan of Tokens.Dec and with the release of Young Pyromancer and unbanning of Bitterblossom. I've thrown together this Wbr list:

4 young pyromancer

4 intangible virtue
4 Bitterblossom

4 lingering souls
4 midnight haunting

4 path to exile
4 lightning bolt
4 thoughtseize
4 Read the bones

4 marsh flats
4 arid mesa
3 godless shrine
3 sacred foundry
3 Blood Crypt
3 plains
1 Mountain
1 Swamp
1 Kher Keep
1 Vault of the Archangel

Splashing red now the bitterblossom is unbanned may just end up not being needed anymore.

Would love to hear thoughts and opinions on this.

Blair Phoenix
12-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Spectral Procession a possibility at all?

trevaftw
12-02-2013, 01:12 AM
Spectral Procession a possibility at all?

My main concern with that is I like the instant speed option that midnight haunting has (so I can leave mana open during my opponents turn if need be) and that I'm not 100% sure on how often I'd hit WWW consistently turn 3.

igri_is_a_bk
12-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Spectral Procession and Lingering Souls are the cards you build around when playing tokens. It's not really a question if you play Procession or not.

You probably shouldn't play Ghost Quarter here because it's unlikely to save you against Tron (I'm guessing that's what it is for). Instead, you could add 2 or 3 Windbrisk Heights and a couple Vault of the Archangels which are going to advance your own gameplan, rather than disrupt your opponents, which is typically the way to go in a deck with an aggressive supporting cast.

One other idea you could try is dropping red completely for blue to play Polymorph and Emrakul. It's only available if you have zero other creatures in your deck though.

YamiJoey
12-02-2013, 12:47 PM
One other idea you could try is dropping red completely for blue to play Polymorph and Emrakul. It's only available if you have zero other creatures in your deck though.

This doesn't work.

trevaftw
12-08-2013, 02:28 PM
I built a budget version of my list on Modo and played a couple Just for Fun 2 mans and it seems like it could have some good potential. Having on 4 anthems is kind of iffy, might need to make room for a heliod spear somewhere.

trevaftw
12-10-2013, 01:39 PM
I built a budget version of my list on Modo and played a couple Just for Fun 2 mans and it seems like it could have some good potential. Having on 4 anthems is kind of iffy, might need to make room for a heliod spear somewhere.

Going to be streaming this Thursday some time from 11am-1pm with the deck to get a better feel for it against other decks

sublime love
12-16-2013, 12:39 PM
// Deck:
Tokens
W young pyromancer (60)

// Lands
3 Arid Mesa
2 Fetid Heath
3 Godless Shrine
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Marsh Flats
2 Plains
2 Sacred Foundry
1 Swamp
2 Windbrisk Heights

// Creatures
3 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Young Pyromancer

// Instants
2 Lightning Bolt
3 Path to Exile
3 Raise the Alarm
3 Zealous Persecution

// Sorceries
4 Lingering Souls
4 Spectral Procession
4 Thoughtseize

// Enchantments
1 Honor of the Pure
4 Intangible Virtue

// Planeswalkers
1 Elspeth Tirel
1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Ajani Vengeant
SB: 1 Boros Charm
SB: 1 Duress
SB: 1 Inquisition of Kozilek
SB: 2 Mirran Crusader
SB: 1 Rakdos Charm
SB: 1 Relic of Progenitus
SB: 1 Rest in Peace
SB: 1 StonyStony Silence
SB: 1 Sundering Growth
SB: 1 Wear // Tear (Wear)
SB: 2 Auriok Champion

Was what I was looking at for my rough draft
Tokens is weak to combo, do you don't wanna cut too much discard.
I still think I want an inquisition of koz in the MD.
And the sb was is a lot of one UPS due to not knowing what the meta will look like
In new England we see a lot of Jund and ruw flash decks

sublime love
12-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Btw, bw tokens is my go to Modern deck, I road that deck to a Ptq win.
I have yet to test red in it.
Mostly I like red for the sb
I had my "late game" cards as 2 hero 1 Elspeth tirel. I loved Elspeth, everyone made fun of it, when I cast it. But it won me many games.
Not sure if cutting hero is right, and replacing one with sorin. Have not tested that card enough

Benjammn
12-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Instead of Young Pyro, my WBR tokens list has Purphoros. Him plus Lingering Souls = lots of damage.

sublime love
12-18-2013, 10:20 PM
I never even considered that card. I am give that some testing now
not sure if its going to be too much of a cost, but it sounds like a good way to finish a game

Timber
03-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Modern Event deck has been spoiled and it's WB tokens:

http://www.magicspoiler.com/modern-event-deck-spoiler/

trevaftw
03-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Bitterblossom is unbanned, does it help the deck more?

Etched
03-18-2014, 01:40 AM
Bitterblossom is unbanned, does it help the deck more?

Very much so. One of the things that might make tokens show up more often.

FTW
03-19-2014, 09:01 AM
This doesn't work.

Uh, what? It used to be a deck in Standard. This works fine. It's just a bad plan because people can Bolt your token in response to counter your Polymorph.

DragoFireheart
03-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Go WUB

Play Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Polymorph, and Proteus Staff. Could also play some manlands like Creeping Tar Pit.

YamiJoey
03-19-2014, 12:36 PM
Go WUB

Play Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Polymorph, and Proteus Staff. Could also play some manlands like Creeping Tar Pit.

This never worked when I tried it around a year ago. The deck just gets filled with cards that don't do anything on their own. You have zero ways of dealing with a drawn Emrakul. You have no discard to shuffle it, and it then makes all other parts dead. I tried it with various numbers of Emrakul and such, and it was never good. In those spots you could just play random good Creatures like Brimaz and Hero of Bladehold.

Timber
03-19-2014, 02:08 PM
This never worked when I tried it around a year ago. The deck just gets filled with cards that don't do anything on their own. You have zero ways of dealing with a drawn Emrakul. You have no discard to shuffle it, and it then makes all other parts dead. I tried it with various numbers of Emrakul and such, and it was never good. In those spots you could just play random good Creatures like Brimaz and Hero of Bladehold.

What about Liliana and Smallpox for discard and disruption? Would adding the Theros scry lands help?

YamiJoey
03-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Stuff like Lili and Pox might work, but that's a very different deck to where I was at.

FTW
03-20-2014, 08:38 PM
What about this?

//13 spells:
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Path to Exile
3 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix

//18 tokens:
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Bitterblossom
4 Lingering Souls
4 Spectral Procession
2 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

//buffs: 7
4 Intangible Virtue
3 Zealous Persecution

//Lands: 22
3 Windbrisk Heights
4 Marsh Flats
4 Arid Mesa
3 Godless Shrine
3 Sacred Foundry
2 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Mountain
1 Vault of the Archangel

There's a slight glut of 2-drops, with a curve of:
10 / 18 / 8 / 2

Best token generators in the format.
24 instants/sorceries for Young Pyromancer
Cheap removal and discard to dispath early threats while you develop your token armies.
Multiple sources of lifegain to offset lifeloss from fetches+shocks+BB over a long game.
Multiple token buffs.
Card advantage via token engines, Sorin and Windbrisk.
Access to wide range of good sideboard cards.
All but 3/22 lands produce white to facilitate WWW for Spectral despite being a 3-color deck.

Sideboard strategies could include Purphoros, more discard, and the usual suspects.

YamiJoey
03-21-2014, 04:45 AM
Holy crap that is a deck I can get behind. Pyroman -> Linger is one of the more insane plays I've seen lately (which was in Legacy) so I can definitely see myself trying to capitalise on that by casting Lightning Bolts on my opponent's guys. I think the list is a little off, as the manabase seems horrific. The basics with loads of coloured mana symbols in your very important cards, combined with 3 ETBTapped lands, and the generally low count scare me, but the overall idea seems brilliant. I'll have to look into it more soon.

The only real issue is the lack of any plan against Storm. (At all.) You lose that game. It looks to be something like 95/5 against. They would have to fizzle for the full 6 or so turns it would take to kill them.

FTW
03-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Holy crap that is a deck I can get behind. Pyroman -> Linger is one of the more insane plays I've seen lately (which was in Legacy) so I can definitely see myself trying to capitalise on that by casting Lightning Bolts on my opponent's guys. I think the list is a little off, as the manabase seems horrific. The basics with loads of coloured mana symbols in your very important cards, combined with 3 ETBTapped lands, and the generally low count scare me, but the overall idea seems brilliant. I'll have to look into it more soon.

The only real issue is the lack of any plan against Storm. (At all.) You lose that game. It looks to be something like 95/5 against. They would have to fizzle for the full 6 or so turns it would take to kill them.

Yeah the manabase could use some work. Maybe 2 Windbrisk is correct to avoid too many ETB tapped lands and too many mono-colored sources. I've only played Windbrisk in old Standard Kithkin, where you play 4 copies and lay it aggressively on turn 1. But that was a much slower format and Kithkin could still randomly goldfish on turn 4 with Mirrorweave. Basics could probably go - 1 Mountain. I wanted to avoid losing to nonbasic hate like Blood Moon, but I guess there's still no reason to have a basic Mountain.

- 1 Mountain
- 1 Windbrisk
+1 Godless Shrine
+1 Sacred Foundry

And yeah, the Storm MU is awful. Game 1 you just have 4 discard spells. I think that's inevitable. A token aggro strategy doesn't have many synergistic tools to fight combo, especially without something like Cabal Therapy. Game 2 you can board +4 discard and some grave hate, boarding out the Paths and slower stuff like Sorin. Any other ideas?

trevaftw
03-21-2014, 04:37 PM
WRT the manabase when I was playing the list in the OP, I tended to find myself wanting more black than I initially thought. Before playtesting I hade 4 godless, 4 sacred, 1 blood crypt. After testing I liked having more blood crypts than just one. Because the deck can get away with basic plains (or mono colored ETB duals like Windbrisk) I didn't need sacred foundry as often as blood crypt.

Also, to help with lifegain and slightly shore up the storm match up, take out 1 bolt for another helix and then the other two lightning bolts for 2 more discard spells? Also could possibily drop a zealous for another land. 22 definitely seems low.

CaptainTwiddle
03-22-2014, 04:03 PM
With respect to most recent list above, I think the idea is sound, but the numbers might be off.

I think you should be running the full 4 Lightning Bolts. With Young Pyromancer in the list, you want your instants/sorceries to be as cheap as possible so you can extract maximum value from Pyromancer when needed. I also think Thoughtseize is better than Inquisition of Kozilek, as it can hit Splinter Twin, Scapeshift, etc. I don't really like Lightning Helix that much, but I do see that life gain is probably desired, especially if we're contemplating adding Thoughtseize to the mix.

As for the Storm matchup, you can play Rule of Law and Rest in Peace/Nihil Spellbomb in the board.