4 Forbidden Orchard
4 Gemstone Mine

//Sideboard
4 Pact of Negation
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Salvage Titan
2 Grand Abolisher
1 Storm Entity

For those of you who aren't familiar with Legacy, Cheeri0s plays Glimpse of Nature, a billion 0-cost creatures, and Grapeshot. It wins pretty regularly and turn 1, and folds pretty hard to Force of Will (less hard than it used to, with the advent of Noxious Revival).

The Modern version is mostly equivalent; since Wizards was smart enough not to give me Glimpse to play with, Paladin is used instead for consistent Turn 2-3 wins. And, it has a lot of trouble fighting through removal.

The gameplan is simple (though piloting is not):

1) Stick a Paladin Turn 1, 2, or 3
2) Begin playing out all of your equipments
2.5) If you have the mana, play a second Paladin before playing any more equipments
3) When you run out of equipments, play Retract
4) Repeat until you've drawn your entire deck and racked up a huge Storm count
5) Play an Opal, tap it for mana, play a second one, kill them with Grapeshot

You can Noxious Retracts back to the top before playing your last equipment, keeping the chain going. Or, you can Noxious Paladin back after he eats a Bolt and try to go off again. If you need a card RIGHT NOW, but have no draw power, Noxious even plays well with the tutors.

Spoils and Plunge might seem dangerous. But they are completely necessary. With 6 tutors, the odds of opening with Paladin or a tutor in your first 7 is about 74%. The odds of seeing one of these cards within one mulligan is about 92%. By the time you mulligan to 5, it's 96.8%. These odds are extremely important, because the more reliably this deck can have a Paladin, the more consistently it kills fast.

Spoils is obviously more dangerous than Plunge, since it has the chance to just kill you outright. However, it has the important quality of curving into a Turn 2 Paladin. It also has only about an 11% chance to kill you if played Turn 1, on the play, naming a 4-of (though it has about a 15% to put you in Bolt range, which is pretty bad if you don't just win Turn 2). When you take into account games that you open with Paladin or Plunge, Spoils will kill you in 2% of games that you play.

More Plunges is an option, having more tutors increases the deck's consistency and speed. There are a lot of sideboard options. I've experimented with Erayo/Ethersworn Canonist to decent results, and also some transformational Affinity boards that gave less than stellar results.

4 Probes used to be autoincludes, until we found that Revival was just better in that slot. If you want to play them, and have an idea where they can go, they aren't half bad (though they clash with the tutors).

Like I said before, removal is the absolute biggest concern the deck has. And it's also everywhere. Abrupt Decay, Dismember, Bolt, Path. The 4 Noxious Revivals are the main out. Also helpful is having the 6 tutors, so that you are capable of finding a second Paladin. Pact of Negations and Abolishers do a lot of work out of the sideboard, and the other two Abolishers wouldn't be terrible. They force your opponent to blow a removal spell, right now, because if they don't you get to kill them when you untap.

evanmartyr
12-14-2013, 12:17 PM
With regards to your Spoils math, are you counting the times spoils removes both grape shots, or Plunge forces you to take a grapeshot when you were looking for something else, essentially fizzling?

serenechaos
12-14-2013, 01:13 PM
I am not including these odds for two reasons: 1) The odds of exiling both Grapeshots before seeing 1 Paladin are >1%, and 2), this does not result in an autoloss. It is still possible to combo out, untap with 5-8 mana, and start playing huge Sigils and swinging. Thisobviously makes you even more susceptible to spot removal, but in general if they had it you wouldn't have started comboing out anyway, so it is a viable plan of action.

cherub_daemon
12-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Have you given any thought to running Leyline of Anticipation? Being able to go off at instant speed would get you around a lot of hate, and being able to delay going off until lethal is on the stack should reduce fizzling. Vintage Belcher runs it, sometimes just out of the board. Not sure you've got the mana right now to hardcast it if it came to that, though.

serenechaos
12-26-2013, 05:49 PM
It's an interesting possibility, however most of the hate that the deck faces is also instant speed. Any deck can just wait an extra turn to do anything and hold up Bolt or Path forever, and I lose the waiting game.

It would also be exceptionally difficult to cast, and extras would be dead draws mid-combo, while spare Pacts are just added protection.

cherub_daemon
12-26-2013, 06:47 PM
It's an interesting possibility, however most of the hate that the deck faces is also instant speed. Any deck can just wait an extra turn to do anything and hold up Bolt or Path forever, and I lose the waiting game.

It would also be exceptionally difficult to cast, and extras would be dead draws mid-combo, while spare Pacts are just added protection.

The fact that the hate is instant doesn't matter, because they can only counter a single draw with it, right?

serenechaos
12-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Hmm, that's true enough I suppose. I'll definitely look into it.

cherub_daemon
01-02-2014, 11:52 PM
Quick thoughts that I might flesh out more later:

Given Puresteel Paladin's "other " ability, Twisted Image is a hilarious alternate/supporting win, with Accorder's Shield and friends. Also cheaper than Grapeshot, and not stopped by Leyline of Sanctity or similar.
The Retract/Noxious Revival suite seems like it could help you go off with fewer equipment in the deck, giving you more room to run protection. It would slow you down a hair, because you can't pay life for Retract.
Do you ever have issues paying for Retract and Grapeshot? Seems like it would be an issue.
Apostle's Blessing is cheap "colorless" protection.
Hurkyl's Recall in the board seems like an easy call for Affinity.

serenechaos
01-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Quick thoughts that I might flesh out more later:

Given Puresteel Paladin's "other " ability, Twisted Image is a hilarious alternate/supporting win, with Accorder's Shield and friends. Also cheaper than Grapeshot, and not stopped by Leyline of Sanctity or similar.
The Retract/Noxious Revival suite seems like it could help you go off with fewer equipment in the deck, giving you more room to run protection. It would slow you down a hair, because you can't pay life for Retract.
Do you ever have issues paying for Retract and Grapeshot? Seems like it would be an issue.
Apostle's Blessing is cheap "colorless" protection.
Hurkyl's Recall in the board seems like an easy call for Affinity.

1) That's an interesting possibility. It seems to have a lot more problem with chumps though, compared to Storm Entity.

2) Possibly, but I would be extremely risky. This deck really needs a critical mass of equipments when going off.

3) Never. Retract is "free" off Mox Opals, and by the time you cast Grapeshot, you should be holding your entire deck in your hand (i.e. 4 Opals, Paradise Mantle if your Paladin can tap)

4) Blessing is a card I've considered before. I currently like Pact more.

5) I've considered a miser Recall maindeck on several occasions, and it's definitely great sideboard tech for Affinity.

cherub_daemon
01-09-2014, 09:04 PM
I feel foolish for suggesting Twisted Image as an alternate win, when the better answer was staring me in the face. Given the tutor package? Laboratory Maniac.

serenechaos
01-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Lab Maniac seems vaguely doable. As the deck's biggest weakness is spot removal, I would prefer an alternate wincon that is relatively safe from that.

metalhead
06-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Lab Maniac seems vaguely doable. As the deck's biggest weakness is spot removal, I would prefer an alternate wincon that is relatively safe from that.

Maybe play a 1 of Chromatic Sphere. Sphere being a mana ability does not allow your opponent to respond to drawing the card.

TheDeadMan
06-29-2014, 03:23 AM
Just curious but have you tried Serum Powder over spoils of the vault? It allows you to sculpt your opening hand, and what cards get removed so you don't run into removing both grapeshot. At that point it all most seems like you can cut the 2 plunge for some MD protection ie: pact of negation/apostle's blessing which adds more survivability to the deck given the amount of removal your going to face on the day. Maybe something along the lines of:

Dudes: 4
4 Puresteel Paladin

Utility: 5
3 Retract
2 Noxious Revival

Wincon: 2
2 Grapeshot

Protection: 5
3 Pact of Negation
2 Apostle's Blessing

Free Stuff: 8
4 Serum Powder