PDA

View Full Version : Norin the wary

adrieng
12-24-2013, 12:50 PM
I have been netdecking this deck, which at first glance looks weird ; but after testing is aweseome.
The deck is based on comes into play ability, and norin the wary makes it very good.
Some random combo :
Norin the wary + champion of the parish +2+2 each turn
Norin the wary + mentor draw one card for 1
Norin the wary + chamber 2 1/1 each turn
If you play modern which I am not a huge fan ( I Play mostly legacy) buy norin the wary before it becomes too costy.

4 Norin the Wary
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Soul's Attendant
4 Soul Warden
3 Ajani's Pridemate
3 Mentor of the Meek
3 Ranger of Eos
4 Genesis Chamber
3 Lightning Bolt
2 Path to Exile
2 Dismember
4 Sacred Foundry
2 Clifftop Retreat
4 Arid Mesa
1 Scalding Tarn
3 Tectonic Edge
2 Cavern of Souls
4 Plains
1 Mountain
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
1 Legion Loyalist
SB: 2 Blood Moon
SB: 2 Rest in Peace
SB: 2 Stony Silence
SB: 2 Suppression Field
SB: 2 Path to Exile
SB: 1 Dismember
SB: 4 Wear // Tear

SovietOlga
01-10-2014, 05:50 PM
I have been brewing tribal-humans in modern for a while now and it's been tough. I have tried many different styles of play, colours, and direction with the idea. I ended up with a dega coloured humans deck much like this one, except I played no soul sisters and ran more of an aggressive token style build with Young Pyromancer, Thoughtseize, Gather the Townsfolk, Lingering Souls etc. It played pretty well, and did decently at local tournaments, however, I felt it was missing something but couldn't put my finger on it. As a result, I put it down for a while; the deck's greatest downfall was being a little too greedy with life loss, but hey I'm greedy player hah.

I saw this deck few weeks back from this more recent top finish from a German tournament, I had gotten intrigued by the idea and began testing it. After the first game, I finally saw the card I overlooked in my brainstorming stages...Norin the Wary! This card is insane with the sisters and champion. I began merging my previous deck with this one and ended up with this:

Norwin

Lands:
4 Marsh Flats
4 Arid Mesa
2 Sacred Foundry
1 Godless Shrine
1 Blood Crypt
1 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Cavern of Souls
4 Plains
1 Mountain
1 Swamp

Creatures:
4 Soul's Attendant
4 Soul Warden
4 Norin the Wary
4 Champion of the Parish
1 Grim Lavamancer
1 Legion Loyalist

4 Dark Confidant
3 Ajani's Pridemate

2 Ranger of Eos
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge

Non-Creature Spells:
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lingering Souls
2 Path to Exile
1 Dismember

Sideboard:
1 Magus of the Moon
2 Burrenton Forge-Tender

2 Blood Moon
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence

2 Zealous Persecution
1 Wear // Tear
1 Proclamation of Rebirth
1 Shatterstorm
1 Sowing Salt

IN:

4 Dark Confidant - Um, why wasn't this in here in the first place, it's a human after all! Bob is a beast, not to mention with the sister provide support for him with all the life gain.

3 Lingering Souls - This card is crazy in the first place yet alone even better when paired with either a few soul sisters and/or Purphoros, God of the Forge. I have been considering adding a 4th in here, but I couldn't find the room.

1 Lightning Bolt - I like the reach, what can I say; I feel uncomfortable only running 3... I replaced a Dismember for this, but I may switch back.

1 Grim Lavamancer - A good target with Ranger, can help burn out a creature in the way or even finish off an opponent. I have thought of replacing it with Deathrite Shaman, but the fact that it's a Human makes me want to play him.

OUT:

4 Genesis Chamber - The last set of cards I ended up taking out, I feel that they are a bit clunky, and only rely on the synergy within your deck to take advantage of it. Through testing I found that if my opponent is playing a creature heavy deck as well, they now gain tokens to chump block your fatties (Champion of the Parish and Ajani's Pridemate), block Bob, or even kill you with them. I ended up putting Lingering souls, which I found was a lot more devastating and had a better one sided advantage. Not to mention that it's not a human, and does not apply enough pressure.

1 Dismember - Like I said earlier, I swapped it out for the 4th bolt, but I may switch them back.

3 Mentor the Meek - In my first few games of testing him,I often found that he would get bolted or killed before I could really take advantage of his ability. Bob Maher is just a better and faster Human, what can I say I have a crush on him I guess...

1 Ranger of Eos - Would like to put this back in the deck, but the high mana cost is a little concerning. However, he does provide some good tutor power and card advantage.

Some other notes:

Although Ajani's Pridemageis not a human, this little kitty becomes big in combination of a soul sister as it enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter and gets big pretty fast. Kitty becomes grotesque really quickly with the sisters and Norin the Wary.

I ended up keeping the Blood Moon package, in fact I added in Magus of the Moon, fits the theme, can be uncounterable, which is a bonus. I added one of each basic land to the deck, which is capable of retrieving prior to a bloodmoon-effect thanks to the help of fetchlands.

I added Burrenton Forge-Tender to the sideboard for to help protect from Bolts and can be tutored for thanks to her human friend.

By adding black, we have unlocked the power to the all mighty Zealous Persecution. This card is just crazy against a number of decks, as it can easily be a one-sided board wipe. Not only that but it can swing games and win them.

You may notice that Tectonic Edge has been removed and I can admit there are some loses to the deck by adding the third colour. However, I feel that this build can handle the extra life loss from shocklands and suicidal Bob Maher with the addition of black.

Thoughts? Suggestions?