2 Torpor Orb
2 Disfigure
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Thrun, the last Troll
1 Creeping Corrosion
1 Phyrexian Arena

sublime love
01-08-2014, 01:20 AM
my local store finally started supporting modern. Sunday used to be for legacy. now we do legacy at 10am, and modern at 4pm after legacy ends
Last Sunday was the first day of double events.
I had a feeling the meta game was going to be light on combo decks. Heavy with affinity, 3 color blue control like decks and rogue decks. by rogue I refer to mono blk devotion, that legendary reanimator deck, random brew.
I decided on a deck I knew I could go in blind with. Something that would feel comfortable with that kind of meta. I chose to run rock. It's a deck I have played many times over the years. I go all the way back to when pernicious deed and spirit monger was the cards of choice to build around.
The fallowing is the list I went with. played vrs a rw aggro deck, rwu control, affinity, mono blk devotion.
Lost only to affinity, due to drawing 4 lands in a row, and never seeing a sb card or spot removal. This list worked like a charm. Don't think I would change a thing.

// Deck: Rock
2 Forest
4 Marsh Flats
3 Overgrown Tomb
3 Swamp
4 Tectonic Edge
4 Treetop Village
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Dark Confidant
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Disfigure
3 Dismember
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Thoughtseize
2 Garruk Relentless
4 Liliana of the Veil

// Sideboard
SB: 2 Creeping Corrosion
SB: 4 Fulminator Mage
SB: 2 Golgari Charm
SB: 2 Infest
SB: 1 Phyrexian Arena
SB: 2 Shadow of Doubt
SB: 2 Thrun, the Last Troll

Round 1: rw aggro (win 2-0)
Sb-
out:
3 thoughtseize
1 dismember
1 dark confidant
1 goyf
In:
2 golgari charm
2 infest
2 thrun

Round 2: rwu sphinx control (win 2-1)
Sb-
In:
1 phyrexian arena
2 thrun
4 mage
2 charm
Out:
4 goyf
3 dismember
2 decay

Round 3: affinity (1-2 loss)
Sb-
In:
2 charm
2 creeping
2 infest
Out:
3 thoughtseize
3 Liliana
(sb in 2 mage over 1 ooze and 1 goyf for game 3)
For the reason rest in peace was in his sb, and I wanted to kill infect land. Not sure if I need more mage sb in.
Lost due to only drawing creatures and lands. He ran over me with infect land.

Round 4: blk devotion (win 2-0)
Sb-
In:
2 charm
2 thrun
1 arena
Out:
3 inquisition
2 goyf

He sb in blk layline to stop my grave yard. I took out inquisition due to his deck having a high curve. This match is won with ooze.

I play a new deck every week, prob won't play this next week. looking like bw tokens or gw haters
PC

YamiJoey
01-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Jeremy Dezani piloted this to T8 and it's fairly Rocky. (In that it plays DRS, Bob, and Goyf.)

Yay for on colour Lingering Souls! Darkblast is a sweet addition. It's an absolute house against Affinity, killing basically everything. Board seems good enough, though I personally wouldn't leave home without Pithing Needle if I'm not playing Lightning Bolts.

1 Forest
1 Godless Shrine
4 Marsh Flats
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Swamp
4 Tectonic Edge
1 Temple Garden
4 Treetop Village
1 Twilight Mire
4 Verdant Catacombs

4 Dark Confidant
4 Deathrite Shaman
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf

2 Abrupt Decay
1 Darkblast
2 Dismember
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Lingering Souls
1 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Thoughtseize

1 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Liliana of the Veil

Sideboard
3 Aven Mindcensor
2 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Seal of Primordium
2 Spellskite
2 Stony Silence
1 Thoughtseize
2 Thrun, the Last Troll
2 Torpor Orb

sublime love
01-27-2014, 12:47 PM
For the last month, I have been playing the list I posted above. Only thing I have changed is I took out the creeping corrosion form the sb, and made them disfigure and go for the throat.
I have top 4ed every week, we get about 20 players.
The deck feels very good. losing hard only to MD 8 bloodmoon deck, with MD relics4
it sb into thundermaw
Also lost hard to mono red burn. Every thing else I out play and win.
Sadly not sure how to fix the mono red burn match up. I don't see that being able to be won. Not without major discard in the sb.

Mr. Safety
02-06-2014, 07:33 PM
How are folks adapting without deathrites? Birds/other mana dork or just increasing targeted discard?

YamiJoey
02-07-2014, 04:30 AM
Mana dorks are bad. I'm looking into Fae, UWR/Esper control, or BWx Rock. I no longer have to play Green, I'm free!

EDIT: FTR I'm going back to Dega and playing 3 Bitterblossoms. Might cut to 3 Lilianas, might just stick with the best Walker in Modern.

Mr. Safety
02-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Do you call r/b/w dega because of degavolver ? If so, awesome.

rei4u2005
02-18-2014, 06:55 AM
How about DRS to kitchen finks ?

Timber
02-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Do you call r/b/w dega because of degavolver ? If so, awesome.

You've never heard RWB referred to as Dega? Apocalypse had a name for all the wedge color combinations with their disciples.

Ana - BUG
Ceta - RUG
Dega - RWB
Necra - Junk
Raka - RWU

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Apocalypse

I like Dega better than Borozhov which I heard a lot of people using when "The Aristocrats" deck won PT Gatecrash.

Timber
02-18-2014, 09:39 AM
How about DRS to kitchen finks ?

??

The biggest hit to the BG Modern decks by the DRS ban was the ability to play a turn 2 Liliana of the Veil, not his ability to gain you life.

rei4u2005
02-21-2014, 01:07 AM
This seem promising

Creatures
4 Tarmogoyf 1G
4 Dark Confidant 1B
3 Scavenging Ooze 1G
3 Courser of Kruphix 1GG
2 Kitchen Finks 1G/wG/w

Spells
4 Liliana of the Veil 1BB
3 Thoughtseize B
3 Abrupt Decay BG
3 Inquisition of Kozilek B
2 Maelstrom Pulse 1BG
2 Dismember 1B/pB/p
1 Garruk Relentless 3G
1 Bitterblossom 1B

Land
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Tectonic Edge
4 Marsh Flats
3 Treetop Village
3 Swamp
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Forest
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Twilight Mire
1 Ghost Quarter

Went 4-0 in MTGO

Timber
02-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Reid Duke seemed to have some success this weekend with at BG deck running the usual suspects and a playset of Phyrexian obliterator.

Megadeus
02-23-2014, 09:02 PM
I really like the courser man. He is fairly sweet. Any word on if he is good?

Etched
02-24-2014, 12:00 AM
I really like the courser man. He is fairly sweet. Any word on if he is good?

Well, seeing as he appeared in literally every Jund deck that did well on the PT, I'd say he's alright. :wink:

Phoenix Ignition
03-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Well, seeing as he appeared in literally every Jund deck that did well on the PT, I'd say he's alright. :wink:

Not true. Out of the 7 decks playing Dark Confidant (1 BG, 1 BGw) only 4 of the decks played courser. The BGr that didn't play it was by Adrian Capilitan, and it is also a pretty traditional Jund list.

I think he's a great card though.

mctlegacy
03-14-2014, 02:44 AM
I think they called RWB "the mountains win again" or simple TMWA before....

hehe i'm a dinosaur

You've never heard RWB referred to as Dega? Apocalypse had a name for all the wedge color combinations with their disciples.

Ana - BUG
Ceta - RUG
Dega - RWB
Necra - Junk
Raka - RWU

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Apocalypse

I like Dega better than Borozhov which I heard a lot of people using when "The Aristocrats" deck won PT Gatecrash.

exallium
06-17-2014, 01:09 PM
Do people think bitterblossom is really worth the slot in the MD? I feel like it doesn't do enough, given the meta is filled with combo.

This is my current list:

4x Dark Confidant
4x Tarmogoyf
4x Scavenging Ooze
2x Courser of Kruphix
2x Thrun, the Last Troll

1x Dismember
2x Slaughter Pact
4x Abrupt Decay

2x Maelstrom Pulse
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
3x Thoughtseize

4x Liliana of the Veil

4x Treetop Villiage
3x Tectonic Edge
3x Overgrown Tomb
1x Twilight Mire
3x Swamp
1x Forest
4x Verdant Catacombs
1x Misty Rainforest
3x Marsh Flats
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

SB:
1x Sword of Fire and Ice
1x Sword of Light and Shadow
1x Nihil Spellbomb
1x Grafdigger's Cage
4x Fulminator Mage
2x Golgari Charm
1x Thoughtseize
1x Drown in Sorrow
2x Obstinate Baloth
1x Putrefy

I've got a GPT boston this week, and I know that at least the following decks will be there, just based off my meta:

Mono U Tron
Burn
UR Twin
TarmoTwin
UWR Twin
Pod

Last night I tried the list above and ended up doing very poorly, most of what I attain to the fact that I mulligan'd every single match, twice down to 5, in a 4 round tournament. Some of it was play skill as well, misplaying my scavenging ooze activations, or playing them too early.

I think this deck is an all around "good deck" but I would like to perhaps change the board up a bit. I do have a bitterblossom available, but again I'm not sure at this point whether it's worth it, as the deck is already quite harsh on my life total. How do people feel about 3 coursers? I don't have one but I could definitely borrow one before the weekend.

EDIT: I really think that this deck has the tools it needs to beat almost everything to be thrown at it, I just need to fine tune my own game with it and learn the format a bit better.

YamiJoey
06-18-2014, 08:57 AM
I loved Bitterblossom, but sadly it's just sort of crap right now, what with everyone either being on combo, or having better Bitterblossoms than us.

This is my current list:

Permanents: 21
4 Dark Confidant
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Courser of Kruphix
2 Kitchen Finks
3 Liliana of the Veil
2 Thrun, the Last Troll

Spells: 15
2 Slaughter Pact
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Thoughtseize
3 Abrupt Decay
1 Dismember
2 Maelstrom Pulse

Lands: 24
2 Swamp
2 Forest
3 Overgrown Tomb
1 Twilight Mire
1 Woodland Cemetery
4 Tectonic Edge
4 Treetop Village
2 Marsh Flats
1 Misty Rainforest
4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard
1 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Golgari Charm
1 Life from the Loam
1 Creeping Corrosion
2 Memoricide
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Spellskite
2 Torper Orb
1 Bow of Nylea
1 Courser of Kruphix
1 Liliana of the Veil

I've recently been convinced to play 4 Edges main deck, but have yet to try it. I may cut one for another Marsh Flats and throw it into the sideboard, but I've not ran any numbers or played any games yet.

The sideboard contains the usual range of hate cards, and general plans. I've decided to add cards to fight the mirror that many don't have. These mainly include the additional Courser, and Bow of Nylea. Courser is a massive deal in the mirror. It provides us with card draw and selection that the deck usually lacks, but is also amazing when it comes down to just racing. Suddenly you've gained 4 life and are a combat step ahead. Bow makes your guys individually better than theirs, and means that your Goyfs and Coursers kill theirs. All blocks are chumps when you want them to be. It also has uses in other MU's. Bow shines in RG decks, where you can use it with Bolt to deal 5 damage for one card to a Rest Angel, Archangel of Thune, or even a Tombstalker if that ever crosses your path. Finally, there is Memoricide. My only losses recently have been to the unfair decks like Storm and Scapeshift, so I decided to include Memoricide.

I need to find answers to Infect, but I mostly think I've been a tad unlucky in the games I've played, so we'll have to see. I also like Putrefy. Something I'd never considered.

exallium
06-18-2014, 01:10 PM
I think your deck looks solid against Infect, and you might of just had a bit of bad luck. If Inkmoth is giving you problems (or blinkmoth, whichever the infect one is) perhaps you could split 2/1 Edge/GQ? My thoughts are that infect doesn't necessarily need to build up lands, and may kill you before having an opportunity to drop #4.

That being said, between Lili, AD, Dismember, and SLaughterpact, we should really have an edge vs. Infect and most other aggro decks.

EDIT ---

After some more thinking, along with the recent ChannelFireball vids, Creeping Corrosion might very well be worth a couple sideboard slots. It allows us to pull so far ahead of Affinity, and honestly, they represent around 10% of the meta. Again, that's looking at MODO statistics, so maybe this should more reflect the respective local metas.

exallium
06-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Here's a question.

I'm running the list from Channelfireball, that has a batterskull in the main and one in the side... thoughts of moving the Thrun from side to main, and removing batterskull for 2x finks in side? Not sure I like 5 drop in main with 4 bobs

AggroControl
08-10-2014, 10:26 PM
I think you have to find a way to play 25 land in this wedge. There are no good filter cards in the colors for turn 1 or 2. That makes the land draws a huge problem over the course of a 4+ round tourney.

So maybe a mana base that looks like:

8x fetch
4x shocklands
4x basics
4x Treetop Village
4x Tectonic Edge
1x Urborg TOY or Gavony Township (if BGw) or Horizon Canopy (if BGw)

That's 25 lands, which lowers variance slightly and increases the chances that you can drop a Treetop tapped when you want to instead of having to play it out the turn you draw it.

If you're playing Loam at all then Horizon Canopy becomes a potential draw engine.

If you're on the Lingering Spirits plan then Gavony Township looks good.

Otherwise Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is probably what you want.

Mr. Safety
11-01-2014, 10:56 AM
So for straight bg lists: maindeck disfigure and golgari charm until further notice?

YamiJoey
11-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Is this suddenly the best deck in the format again?

Phoenix Ignition
11-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Is this suddenly the best deck in the format again?

Well if the latest large modern (http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t%5BC1%5D=28&start_date=10/26/2014&end_date=10/26/2014&event_ID=45) tournament is any indicator, no, no it isn't.

trevaftw
11-02-2014, 02:56 PM
I've been fairly decent with this decklist:

Creatures - 12
4 Scavenging Ooze
3 Courser of Kruphix
4 Dark Confidant
1 Siege Rhino

Spells - 19
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Thoughtseize
4 abrupt decay
2 maelstrom pulse
1 slaughter pact
1 path to exile
1 Damnation
4 lingering souls

NCP - 5
4 liliana of the veil
1 sword of war and peace

Lands - 24
4 verdant Catacombs
2 marsh flats
2 windswept heath
2 Swamp
2 Forest
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 overgrown tomb
1 godless shrine
1 temple garden
1 Treetop Village
1 stirring wildwood
1 plains
1 tectonic edge

SB - 15
1 Thrun, the last Troll
1 Siege Rhino
1 Batterskull
1 Thoughtseize
1 Inquisition of kozilek
1 Path to Exile
1 Creeping Corrosion
2 Stony Silence
2 Nihil spellbomb
1 Back to nature
1 Damnation
1 Bow of Nylea
1 Utter End

I auto lost to burn, but otherwise I'm fairly confident in how well the deck plays. Probavbly going to swith to 4 IoK, 2 thoughtseize main and then change the two discards spells in the board to 2 duress

YamiJoey
11-04-2014, 03:28 PM
We have a good MU Vs 6/8, and 11/15. (Discounting the Rock deck.) Seems like a good position to be in.

EDIT: How does 4 Scooze, 3 Courser, 1 Rhino, 1 WaP 'Auto-lose to burn' exactly? It feels like it's getting pretty decent with that build.

Although I'd cut Coursers for Rhinos. Courser is so bad.

Lord Seth
11-05-2014, 12:08 AM
We have a good MU Vs 6/8, and 11/15. (Discounting the Rock deck.) Seems like a good position to be in.

EDIT: How does 4 Scooze, 3 Courser, 1 Rhino, 1 WaP 'Auto-lose to burn' exactly? It feels like it's getting pretty decent with that build.

Although I'd cut Coursers for Rhinos. Courser is so bad.Cutting Courser of Kruphix for Siege Rhino seems to change the mana curve noticeably. Wouldn't Kitchen Finks be a better replacement? I suppose it has anti-synergy with Anger of the Gods but it's much faster at the life gaining than Courser of Kruphix and is at the same mana cost.

I'm actually kind of surprised Kitchen Finks isn't seeing more play in BGx decks right now...

trevaftw
11-05-2014, 06:17 PM

Although I'd cut Coursers for Rhinos. Courser is so bad.
Because all four cards are too slow. Courser gains you life on turn four and same with the rhino. SoWaP doesn't hit till turn 4. Scooze either dies right away or they ignore it till it's a problem. I played the match post board nine times versus a Rw build and every game I was on the play and every time I lost. Maybe against mono red this deck can get there, but not Rw.

EDIT: Also courser isn't terrible. Helps dig through your deck, dodges lightning bolt, filter your draws and works great with bob.

YamiJoey
11-05-2014, 08:12 PM
"Attack with my Monastery Swiftspear and Insectile Aberration." seems to be a popular play, and Courser is just shit against it. Rhino gains you a Bolt, and is a decently sized wall to put in the way. They need to Bolt your Rhino to trade Swiftspear with it, they can Bolt Courser to death with a Swiftspear on the table. It's bad against every URx deck going since UWR turned into a Rest Angel Midrange deck, and it's too slow against Affinity. Against BG it's okay, but you'd rather have a Finks, Snapcaster Mage, or anything that was solid card advantage, rather than just "draw a Land". It's a good effect, but there's tonnes better to do.

I'm basically playing BG, but I cut 4 Bob for 4 Cruise, a pair of removal Spells for a pair of Snapcasters, and the Putrefy/Pulse slot became Sultai Charm. Charm is great. It kills basically everything I wanted to anyway, and has a mode for when I don't need to kill a thing and just want to pour some mana somewhere for a turn. It then becomes a pair of Lotus Petals for the Cruises, or can be Snapped back for card advantage. Snapcaster is way better than Bob, by the way. Bob has to survive, and is way slow. Snap gets you CA instantly, and at Instant speed, so you get to choose what form it takes. Also Treasure Cruise is (obviously) bonkers.

Mr. Safety
11-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Cutting Courser of Kruphix for Siege Rhino seems to change the mana curve noticeably. Wouldn't Kitchen Finks be a better replacement? I suppose it has anti-synergy with Anger of the Gods but it's much faster at the life gaining than Courser of Kruphix and is at the same mana cost.

I'm actually kind of surprised Kitchen Finks isn't seeing more play in BGx decks right now...

Full set in my sideboard (straight bg). Auto swap with bobs against burn and even against ur delver. I also play maindeck ob-baloth x2. Finks may be correct in the main in some number.