PDA

View Full Version : Bant 3-drops

[SLAYER]chaos
01-24-2014, 10:28 PM
I've been having trouble finding the right 3 cost creature for my deck. Loxodan Smiter was extremely underwhelming in the main despite being very good against black decks and blue control. There's been 4 different guys I'm not currently running that I've been deciding between:

Knight of the Reliquary - He's easily the biggest, but most vulnerable to hate and I'm not really running any utility lands. If he gets added I think I'll add some celestial colonades or raging ravine.

Rhox War Monk - A really solid 3/4 body that gains life on offense or defense. Pretty good with exalted and equipment.

Kitchen Finks - Annoying and guaranteed to gain at least 2 life. Probably overall the safest choice, does a lot of things well. Still vulnerable to graveyard hate, doesn't have the biggest body.

Mirran Crusader - Ends games extremely quickly when paired with a sword or elspeth. Probably the most powerful of the 4. Also has the biggest draw back of not really doing as much by himself on the board, needs exalted, equipment, or elspeth.

My list is below for reference. Any other cards I haven't thought of are also welcome suggestions even if they're not creatures. I did test Cold Eyed Selkie in this slot as well and was even more underwhelmed than smiter. Ohran Viper would probably be better as an attacker than draws cards.

Creatures: 22
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Qasali Pridemage
1 Scaveging Ooze
3 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Vendilion Clique
2 Kotr/RWM/MirranCrusader/Finks
2 Sower of Temptation
1 Baneslayer Angel

Spells: 11
4 Path to Exile
4 Mana Leak
2 Spell Snare
1 Steel Shaper's Gift

Planeswalkers: 3
3 Elspeth, Knight Errant

Artifacts: 2
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 SoFaI/SoLaS

Lands: 22
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Verdant Catacombs
3 Breeding Pool
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Temple Garden
2 Glacial Fortress
2 Razorverge Thicket
2 Forest
2 Island

Sideboard: 15
3 Rest in Peace
3 Meddling Mage
3 Loxodan Smiter
2 Spell Pierce
2 Negate
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons

mistercakes
01-25-2014, 12:46 AM
run lotus cobra.

Blair Phoenix
02-03-2014, 01:30 AM
With Deathrite Shaman banned, Knight definitely seems like the superior choice.

[SLAYER]chaos
02-03-2014, 01:37 AM
Yeah, I agree. Just picked up a few.

Timber
02-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Have you tried Vials? Seems like a great way to flash in your 2 and 3 drops, then you have mana open for equiping or Mana Leak during combat.

[SLAYER]chaos
02-03-2014, 11:31 AM
I hadn't thought of that but it could be pretty good. What do you think would get cut for those? The Noble's would probably be the most obvious thing, that would also allow me to have a less forest focused mana base.

dreinal13
02-04-2014, 12:27 AM
What about BNG's Brimaz? It creates better value than the War Monk in most situations.

nedleeds
02-21-2014, 01:46 PM
I like Smiter, you don't have a huge amount of removal (like the RWU's 4 bolt 4 path + SCM package) that let's you get Geist through. Just slamming him and not worrying about bolt or Remand / Leak is a huge boon. He's obviously nuts vs. Liliana.

Have you played vs. Affinity? I think you'll get wrecked. I think 3 Stony Silence in your board as a nice 3 for 3 swap with your SSG 2 Swords would be smart.

Megadeus
02-22-2014, 01:22 AM
I like Smiter and Mirran in this slot. Smither is great vs Control, and Mirran is great in the midrange MU where he is pro decay and can't be blocked by big goyfs and bobs and such.

FoolofaTook
02-23-2014, 08:16 PM
KotR is slow and gets hated on by Scavenging Ooze. And speaking of, why only 1 Scooze? It's a meta-cruncher right now.