PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Combo Elves

trevaftw
08-24-2014, 09:06 PM
I am playing vintage tomorrow. I normally play legacy but I throw this together.

Lands - 18
4 Gaea's Cradle
8 Fetches
1 Bayou
1 Tropical Island
2 Forest
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald

Spells - 15
4 Glimpse of Nature
4 Green Sun's Zenith
2 Natural Order
3 Skullclamp
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Timetwister

Creatures - 28
1 Dryad Arbor
4 Heritage Druid
4 Birchlore Rangers
4 Nettle Sentinel
3 Wirewood Symbiote
3 Elvish Visionary
2 Quirion Ranger
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Reclamation Sage
2 Craterhoof Behemoth
1 Ruric Thar
2 Deahtrite Shaman

Sideboard - 15
3 Duress
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Swang Song
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Creeping Corrosion

No idea what the format is like so any and all input is appreciated.

JPoJohnson
08-25-2014, 02:55 PM
4 Swan Songs with a single Tropical is very greedy with how much LD there is in the format. Same with a single Bayou and 5 black cards in the side.

Di
08-27-2014, 01:51 PM
4 Swan Songs with a single Tropical is very greedy with how much LD there is in the format. Same with a single Bayou and 5 black cards in the side.

To be fair, Deathrite and Birchlore are also colored sources, and Quirion Ranger can protect either land from Strip/Waste. That, and the chances that they aren't hitting Gaea's Cradle instead are fairly slim. So it isn't all that greedy, though I'd consider a second Tropical in general given a total of six blue cards counting the maindeck power.

Koby
08-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Survival of the Fittest can easily replace Natural Order and Craterhoof engine. There seems to be too many engines in the list; focus on the more powerful ones:

Skullclamp
Glimpse of Nature
and
Creature tutors (GSZ or Survival)

socialite
09-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Honestly, this has been tried before to a less than stellar result. IMHO the archetype is a nombo in Vintage.

But if you must...

The list you posted is essentially unplayable in this format.

You need to take a hard look at your local meta game and widely accepted format archetypes and go from there.

From my perspective you really need to figure out if Caverns -> Reclamation Sage is superior to Deathrite Shaman -> Abrupt Decay.

If you focus on Glimpse I'd say Caverns - Sage is the better option. Koby is right in that you need to pick an engine and focus. I'd argue you really do not want more than 1/2 Skullclamp. I definitely think Natural Order is a mistake and Zenith is questionable. The only benefit this deck has in Vintage is it's ability to vomit dudes on the board unfortunately this is bound to run straight into a Toxic Deluge/Oath of Druids.