PDA

View Full Version : [VINTAGE] Sideboard help! 5C Keeper.

MoxMonkey
09-05-2014, 02:07 PM
I've never been one to use SB's but in vintage it's a must so I need some help on this. Looking for other options to use but heres the SB:

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b508/juzam007/10665915_10204358403777057_1214496251724068016_n_zps20721a1d.jpg (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/juzam007/media/10665915_10204358403777057_1214496251724068016_n_zps20721a1d.jpg.html)

Here's main deck for ref:

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b508/juzam007/10689571_10204358684784082_1142688028920758726_n_zpsace7ef58.jpg (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/juzam007/media/10689571_10204358684784082_1142688028920758726_n_zpsace7ef58.jpg.html)

thecrav
09-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Check either:

The vintage portion of this site (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?77-Deck-Development-(Power))
The Mana Drain (http://www.themanadrain.com/)

H
09-05-2014, 03:25 PM
I think you are on the right track, but since I don't know your meta it is hard to say exactly what you might need.

I do not particularly love Leyline versus Dredge. It is very vulnerable and can be almost uncastable. I am not sold on one Misdirection and Hurkyll's seems dubious out of the board. I would probably make the Recall another Chewer, because Chewers are amazing versus Shops.

Your maindeck has some decisions that I wouldn't personally make, like basic Swamp, 3 Deathrite with only 4 Fetches, maindeck Balance, 3 Bolts, Merchant Scroll, and only 1 Jace. None of these are actually bad, just possibly not the best. However, if your meta is a filled with creatures, you are going to destroy them.

MoxMonkey
09-05-2014, 03:55 PM
There are some playing r/u/g - b/u/g decks, but we also have gush and doomsday running around.

The mana base I'm still messing around with. so I'm not too worried about that yet.

aahz
09-05-2014, 06:28 PM
There are some playing r/u/g - b/u/g decks, but we also have gush and doomsday running around.

The mana base I'm still messing around with. so I'm not too worried about that yet.
Phew. I was going to have to point out how terrible that manabase is. Get some more fetches to fuel DRS asap.

Is white really worth it for just Balance and a single Swords? Seems like you could shore up the manabase by cutting white and compensate with other colors. (I know it's hard to cut Balance when your copy is Alpha/Beta, but Vintage can be a harsh, unforgiving mistress sometimes)

I think you'd really benefit from Engineered Explosives in that deck. Maybe cut both Swords for one EE main and one in the side. Trygon Predator and Vendilion Clique are worth a look. You might also swap a Bolt for Fire//Ice so you can Scroll for it.

With 3 Drains, you want 2 basic Islands. Thoughtseize is also likely better than Duress here.

All that said, this deck feels really schizophrenic. I feel like it would be more effective to either 1) cut DRS and move more toward Grixis style Vault/Key control or 2) cut Vault/Key/Academy and go more mana disruption with Wastelands. It seems like you are trying to do both and that usually doesn't work out so well.

MoxMonkey
09-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Balance wasn't added because of being A/B. It's one that I've ran in every keeper deck I've built.

And I use swords incase I have no counters for after the tinker or oath get one of their targets. EE I don't think would work for me.

Duress I can see changing to thoughtseize. That one I'm just seeing how I like it. But probably in the end they will be thoughtseize.

Fire/ice for bolt I will definitely give a shot. I never thought of that!

I'm not sure I want to have more creatures at this point, but clique and trygon are always on the back burner for options.

aahz
09-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Trygon is mainly for the Shop matchup, but it also works against Oath if you can land it early. I can see it not being worth it in your meta though.

I disagree about EE. It's awesome in Grixis when I can usually only blow it for 0-3 reliably, but you could even potentially hit an opposing Jace or Lodestone (note that it is an artifact and Sunburst counts the mana you use to pay for sphere effects). It's also solid against Delver, Young Pyromancer tokens, and dredge's zombie hordes. Seems like it was made for Keeper style decks IMHO. Try it out, you might be surprised how effective it is.

The more I think about it, the better 2-3 Wastelands seem. Mana denial, extra dredge hate, and more food for DRS.

If you play vs lot's of creature decks, I think the Deluge could be maindeck (especially if you don't want EE). Possibly even a second in the board. Since you're running the basic swamp, Snuff Out is an often overlooked possibility (it kills Lodestone dead). I'd also think about Spell Snares to board in as hard counters against decks susceptible to it.

Anyway, some food for thought. Good luck! Glad to have more people interested in Vintage!

H
09-06-2014, 10:40 AM

Well, RUG Delver and BUG Fish are going to get ruined by so much maindeck removal. However, Gush and Doomsday require more counters, but more specific ones, like Flusterstorm. I feel Balance is better in the board, but if you feel you must maindeck it, I guess that is ok. I would swap the Fluster and the Balance if it was me.

Engineered Explosives really shines in the Shops match where you can slide it under Spheres, but of course it can do something versus Fish too. Doesn't sound like you are too worried about Shops though, so it's probably not worth it.

I like Duress at this moment, because it cannot be Missdirected and no life loss. Two things stand out to me about this list though: there are 27 mana sources and there is only 2 things that actually draw cards (1 Jace, 1 Ancestral).

I recently ran the following to a ninth place finish at a 92 man, to give you can idea what I like to run:

Business (36)

4 Force of Will
2 Mental Misstep
2 Duress
1 Flusterstorm
2 Spell Snare
2 Mana Drain
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Tinker
1 Tezzeret, the Seeker