PDA

View Full Version : Hateful Bears and Punishing Dark Mavericks

Spellchucker
02-10-2015, 07:58 PM
I am trying to put together a Modern GWx aggro build for FNM and maybe larger tournament play down the road. I am just getting started so I apologize in advance for being newbish. Work with me here. Anyhow, I kind of like several Modern GW build including Hatebears, Mavericks (dark and punishing), and GW auras. The issue is that some run on either vial like Kibler's 2013 list using Aether Vial and Voice of Resurgence. Some other lists don't use Vial or Voice. Instead they go with Linvala, Spellskite, and Scavenging Ooze. Also, some splash burn and others black removal. At any rate, it gets very confusing and I am trying to get the most bang for my buck. That being said, I am not going to restrict myself budget-wise so no worries there. I guess I need to ask it this way:

1. If I want to play GW aggro and don't know or will change my meta, what's the most consistent build?
2. Are using professional lists, like Kibler's, a bad idea for FNM?
3. If I want to be a GW aggro player, what staples are a must?
4. Who makes the best sleeves (stupid question I know, but I want to protect my cards)?
5. I see players on youtube making notes. What are they writing and how does it work? Should I be doing it or will I seem pretentious?
6. What do I need to for sure know going into my first FNM? What can I expect?
7. How can I become a better GW aggro player (inside tips or philosophy)?

I suspect I will get my fair share of silly replies, some merited for my newb questions; however, if anyone can really help, I'd appreciated it. Thanks in advance for sharing your time and experience.

Phoenix Ignition
02-10-2015, 11:37 PM
Welcome to Magic, as you're just starting out in Modern you may want to check out discussions on MTGSalvation as it is more active than here. This site is pretty much just Legacy players, some of whom play modern.

Anyway, I'll try to answer some of your questions but there really isn't a definitive best when it comes to a lot of this stuff.

1. There isn't really a most consistent build, but all of them I can find have the following:
~22-23 lands total
4x Ghost Quarter
4x Temple Garden
1-2 Stirring Wildwood
4x Razorverge Thicket
3-4 Horizon Canopy
extra lands

~3 Aven Mindcensor
4 Leonin Arbiter
4 Loxodon Smiter
~4 Noble Hierarch
~2 Qasali Pridemage
3-4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
3-4 Voice of Resurgence
2-3 Scavenging Ooze
other creatures

4x Path to Exile
4x Aether Vial

Sideboards are usually specific to what you'd expect to play against but if you don't have any idea about your local metagame then something like
2x Choke
2x Gaddock Teeg
2x Kataki, War's Wage
2x Kor Firewalker
3x Mirran Crusader
2x Rest in Peace
1x Thrun, the last troll

2. Professional lists are great for FNM, Kibler's is probably pretty good.
3. The cards I listed in the deck above are pretty much used in all iterations of GW hatebears
4. Dragon Shield have the best overall sleeve in my opinion. Some people like Ultra Pro but I've found their hologram on the front to cause indents on the back of other sleeves, possibly marking them
5. Usually they are keeping track of both players life totals with pen/paper but if they somehow see the opponent's hand with a discard spell or Gitaxian Probe, they'll write down which cards they know the opponent has to help with memory.
6. Depends on your location but I hear most FNMs are casual so if you tell the person running the event they'll let you know what to expect.
7. Play a lot. Get used to how you need to change your playstyle based on what deck you're playing against.

YamiJoey
02-11-2015, 02:42 AM
Check out the deck that people like Kibler were playing at the PT. It's basically a pseudo Hatebears deck. Don't screw aroundwith Ghost Quarters and rubbish. Punch them in the face.

MrShine
02-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Check out the deck that people like Kibler were playing at the PT. It's basically a pseudo Hatebears deck. Don't screw aroundwith Ghost Quarters and rubbish. Punch them in the face.

LOVE IT.

I've been testing a deck that turned out to be VERY similar to their "little kid" deck, and it's great; you generally win the Abzan "mirrors" and can put on a very fast clock with T1 Noble T2 Smiter T3 Rhino. I do run Decay, however, which I think is necessary with Splinter Twin being a thing.