PDA

View Full Version : Current Metagame and What to Play

Higgs
03-17-2015, 07:51 AM
I have an event coming up and I'm at a loss for what to play. I expect people to play Dredge and Shops (usual suspects), Delver decks, Mentor decks, various Gifts decks and probably the occasional GriselOath list. I've recently played a standard GriselOath list with S&T and was quite happy with how the deck performed but that was before there was so much white in the meta due to Mentor. Now people will be packing Containment Priests.

I always gravitate towards big blue decks but I don't think traditional Grixis-Tezz-Slaver type of blue decks are well positioned in the current meta because you just can't win the CA game against decks with Mentor, Pyromancer, 4x Gush, 4x Dig etc. I don't want to play a Gifts list because I'm not too impressed with the lists people play and I think they are mostly played because of the cool factor. I also don't like the fact that you get hit by standard Dredge hate people pack.

I can't play fun decks like MonoU belcher or Steel City Vault because I'm missing a bunch of cards (Mox Opals, Candelabra, Timetwister, Imperial Seal etc.) and I just can't be asked to splash the cash for just one event. The Oath-Omniscience from VSL deck looks powerful but dull.

So how do you think the Vintage meta is looking lately, how would you attack it? What would you play that is fun but still would not get crushed by Shops and Mentor decks?