PDA

View Full Version : Tmd open 17 - august 13, 2016 - oakville, ct

Iamfishman
08-05-2016, 01:58 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e311/iamfishman/TMD%20Open%2017%20Mat%20V1.3%20Stretched-JPEG.jpg

**Preamble:** Before getting into the official announcement, please allow me to ask two quick things of you that will help make this event incredibly fun and memorable for everyone.
1.) A fairly good estimate of attendance will ensure things like: enough pizza ordered, seating that is neither too little, nor too cramped, additional prize support as warranted, etc. Therefore, can I please, please ask that if you plan on attending let me know either via pm, posting in this thread, emailing me at iamfishman2000@hotmail.com, texting me at 860-605-3730, messaging me on facebook, choosing “attending” in the facebook event(coming soon), sending a carrier pigeon, etc. It is not a binding agreement, but it only takes a second and it will help me get a feel for attendance.
2.) Could I ask those of you who already know what an experience I try to make for each of my events tell others about this so that we can have a great turnout. With the infrequency of my events the last few years, there is a whole new generation of Vintage players who don't know about the TMD Open experience.

In return, I will promise to plan plenty into this event that will leave everyone with some lasting memory above and beyond the vintage they play. So without further ado…

**What:** TMD OPEN 16

**Where:** Oakville VFW
85 Davis St
Oakville, CT 06779
860-605-3730
(This place is literally 0.25 miles from the Waterbury town line, so you can still call it a Waterbury tournament)

**When:** August 13, 2016
Doors open at 10:00 am
Registration is 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Tourney Starts PROMPTLY at 11:00 am (To avoid a prolonged tournament, this will be strictly enforced. Latecomers may be subject to a round 1 loss.)

**Cost:** $50 Entry Fee
(Entry fee must be paid in cash. Because I don't work for a store, I don't have a credit card machine. I apologize in advance for the inconvenience)

**Format:** Type One with FIFTEEN proxies with a cut to top 8.

**Prizes:** (Above and beyond the hundreds of dollars in prizes for all the side events) I will be using a “based on participants” prize scale for the main event prizes.

Prize Support based on 120 Participants
1st Prize –$1600 in cash + Free Entry at TMD Open 18 + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat + an official TMD Open 17 Playmat
2nd Prize –$800 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat
3rd-4th Prize –$400 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat
5th-8th Prize –$200 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat
9th-16th prize –$100 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat
17th prize - 17th prize - An official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat
18th-32 prize – Pack of Eternal Masters

Prize Support based on 100 Participants
1st Prize –$1200 in cash + Free Entry at TMD Open 18 + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat + an official TMD Open 17 Playmat
2nd Prize –$600 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat
3rd-4th Prize –$300 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat
5th-8th Prize –$150 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat
9th-16th prize –$75 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat
17th prize - An official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat

Prize Support based on 80 Participants
1st Prize –$900 in cash + Free Entry at TMD Open 18 + an official TMD OPEN 18 Playmat + an official TMD Open 17 Playmat
2nd Prize –$450 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat
3rd-4th Prize –$225 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat
5th-8th Prize –$115 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat
9th-16th prize –$55 in cash + an official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat
17th prize - An official TMD OPEN 17 Playmat

**Free Side Event:** At the end of round 3 we will be taking signups for a FREE tournament for an Italian Legends Mana Drain. The second place prize is to be determined. This free tournament will be single elimination.

**Card Throwing Competition:** Grab a land card, write your name on it, and flick it across the room. Farthest flung card wins a TMD OPEN 17 playmat. It is that simple! This will be held after the swiss rounds.

**Fortune Cookie Consolation Contest(Get rewarded for losing!):** Improved on my idea from my last tournament...inspired by the clues of Shadows of Innistrad. Every match, every round, the loser gets a fortune cookie. 1 in every 17 cookies has a fortune that says "congrats, you won a prize...see Ray." The prizes are cool foils and foreign vintage playables…stuff like Foreign Gush, Foil Wear//Tear, Korean Dark Rituals, Foil Auriok Salvagers!
But, each of the other 16 unique messages are a clue about a mystery card. They will say things like, "The card is an instant." Piece together the clues individually or with your friends to identify the one correct card out of all magic cards in existence that it has to be and you will win an official TMD OPEN 17 playmat!

**Team rivalry, a.k.a. Braggin Rights Supreme August 2016:** Here is how its gonna go down. Teams of three will agree prior to the event to play as a team and will register (separate from a deck registration...it will be done on a different sheet of paper). Each team’s cost is $9...$3 per person. Then, at the end of the tournament, the teams with the highest combined number of match points(single elimination matches count as 3 points per match, just as in the swiss) will win.
If enough teams enter, there may be a second place prize or more, but the number of teams entering, and thus the collected entry fees, will determine the prizes. In the event of a tie for match points, the average opponent match win percentage from the swiss rounds of the three players on each team will be computed and compared.
After round 3 team designations will be inserted into players names, so teams may view each other team's players and match points on the pairings/standings.

**King of the Hill Table:** Starting with current reigning champ Will Magrann, the King of the Hill table will be one of two featured match tables each round. If Will keeps winning, he will always have a spot at the table. But, whoever beats Will will become the new King of the Hill and defend that table every round until they lose. And how will everyone know that you are the King of the Hill? Easy, of course…you will get to wear this sweet King’s Crown letting everyone know you are the one on top!
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e311/iamfishman/Crown.jpg

**The TMD Open 17 Scavenger Hunt:** When you register, you will receive a list of 20 things, such as “A picture of a hard cast Force of Will” that during the day you will search for and snap pictures of on your camera phone. The first person to find pictures and show me all 20, or the person who has the most after the swiss round will receive an official TMD OPEN 17 playmat!

**FREE Magic Trivia:** Some consider the most fun part of a TMD open to be Magic Trivia. This competition will test your Magic knowledge, take you down memory lane, and give you a fun-filled hour with friends. It is FREE to enter and all teams win prizes. The event starts after the Swiss rounds.

**AND, other cool side events/prizes yet to come!**

**Proxies:** (Borrowing from Nick Detwiler’s guidelines)
Most everyone on these forums knows what a proxy is. A proxy, for the TMD Open 17, will be defined as the following:
A Magic the Gathering card with the full name, card type (instant, sorcery, land, artifact, creature, enchantment, planeswalker), full mana cost and text clearly displayed. This can be done in one of two ways:
1. Using a Sharpie, not pen or pencil, to fill in the required text on a card where it can clearly be read. (Revised lands are excellent for this, new commons and uncommons aren't usually, as they're darker, and far tougher to read.)
2. Using acetone to remove certain text from a card that's close to the intended proxy (i.e. Lotus Bloom, with certain words removed to proxy a Black Lotus, Ancestral Visions with certain words removed to proxy an Ancestral Recall).
Take pride in your proxies! Your opponents should know (at all times) what your proxies are, because they're clearly defined. Using 15 Swamps to make your proxies is a bad idea, as it's going to create confusion. If you're proxying Moxen, please, use a Land from each appropriate color to make a proxy for that Mox (i.e., a Mox Sapphire is on an Island, a Mox Jet is on a Swamp, a Mox Pearl is on a Plains...). Beyond that, please use your best judgment when creating your proxies - we know what will, and what won't, be easily recognizable.
Your opponents should not ever be at a disadvantage because you don't own the cards. There is nothing wrong with using proxies as you slowly pick up the cards that you need to play Vintage, but please consider your opponents while you're making them, as we're out to make this an enjoyable experience for everyone involved.
If you're worried that your proxies may not pass muster, please speak to the head judge of the event before the event starts. Leave enough time to create new proxies, if necessary.
Using paper printouts of card faces, and gluing them to cards, is not acceptable! This alters the thickness of the cards, making the cards marked, for all intents and purposes. Please don't do this, as the judges will be instructed to consider these as marked cards, and enforce punishment according to a DCI Competitive REL event!

**Snacks & Meals:** We will be selling pizza slices, soda, and other snacks.

**Parking:** (See Below)

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e311/iamfishman/Parking.jpg

**Questions, comments, concerns? Please share them all here.**

See you on August 13th,
Ray

Iamfishman
08-05-2016, 02:04 AM
Discussion page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1277679352257429/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel