PDA

View Full Version : [Deck - CaNG Finalist] Bunnies

Shadow
03-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Well, I have been lurking around The Source for some time and playtest with Evil Roopey constantly. This is an idea I had a while ago, and Bryan helped me tweak the deck to be one of the best metagame decks you can play right now. The deck has the ability to beat Threshold and Goblins while still having a decent game against the rest of te field. Hard to believe, right?

-Any sort of well built Zoo deck should inherently have a good game against Goblins; your creatures are bigger, come down just as fast, and just plain look sweeter than any Goblin.

Using that piece of information, I decided to tune my Zoo deck to beat Gro. In doing this I have a positive record against both Goblins and Gro, and since you are playing aggro control you have a decent game against random bullshit.

When you think of Zoo, you automatically think of some sort of Green/Red-based aggro deck that has some small controling elements, traditionally burn. While I use the same concept, I don't run Green or Red. I took a look at the current meta-game and immediatly noticed that Aggro-Control is the way to go. Being able to beat the control and combo decks, while still being able to have a game against aggro. Nice little combination of Archtypes if you ask me. While this version can probably have a better combo match-up if tuned to a combo meta, it is now currently tuned for Threshold.

Well, enjoy:

// Lands
4 [U] Scrubland
4 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
4 [B] Swamp
2 [A] Plains
4 [ON] Flooded Strand

// Creatures
4 [EX] Carnophage
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
3 [CHK] Isamaru, Hound of Konda
4 [OD] Rotting Giant
4 [UL] Mother of Runes
3 [UD] Phyrexian Negator

// Spells
4 [TE] Sarcomancy
4 [JU] Cabal Therapy
4 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
4 [B] Swords to Plowshares
4 [TE] Diabolic Edict

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [UL] Engineered Plague
SB: 3 [R] Disenchant
SB: 4 [US] Duress
SB: 4 [AP] Gerrard's Verdict

Sceptical? Trust me, I would be too if I hadn't played the deck myself for some time. We have tested just about every card that could fit into the deck, and this is the build we think will be the best in the current meta.

Why play Black/White over 3Color Zoo? Well, that is probably the main question I should answer to explain why this deck should be played. Right now, Bryan and I think that the more controlling lists of Zoo is the way to go right now. Why? Because you have to outcontrol Threshold. This is quite a task to tackle while still being able to beat Goblins. We noticed that Diabolic Edict was just an amazing card against Threshold while still being good against just about every other deck. You might say it's not so hott versus Goblins, but since they are going to be struggling to keep up with your big creatures, it will most definatly throw off there entire game-plan just making making the lose one creature. Now, after that is said, Black and White happen to be the best colors at controling the board while still playing the aggro deck. You have good card advantage, the best hand disruption, the best removal, and some pretty effecient creatures.

If there are some questions about why some of the cards are in here:

Mother of Runes: Well, as I said earlier you want a more controling version of the deck. I tested Savannah Lions in this spot, but Mom was much better. It let's you run Negator without too much to worry about, in addition to giving you some protection from cards like Pyroclasm and spot removal. If Mom ever gets active, one spot removal spell isn't enough, and if they have two they will most likely hit Mom with the second, leaving your real threats on the board.

Phyrexian Negator: He seems like he would be poor, but is actually quite strong. He is bigger than most Gro creatures, and hits for a ton. In combination with Mom, he is insane. He's in here for a stronger late game. This deck is meant to go into turns 6-7, so you are going to need something that can handle the creatures in this format that come down around that time.

Dark Confidant: This, in my opinion, is the entire reason to run the deck. He produces card advantage, while going aggro. He might be the biggest Bolt target aside from Goblin Lackey in this entire format, because just like Lackey if he isn't dealt with, you will win the game.

Isamaru/Carnophage/Sarcomancy/Rotting Giant: This is obviously what makes up the aggro portion of the deck. These are the most effecient creatures in your colors, and they do a really good job of killing people.

Cabal Therapy: Threshold rolls over to Therapy/Flashback/Clock. Throw in some removal spells for when they try to recover, and you are set. Not only does this card swing the Thresh match-up, but is good against combo, and half-decent against Goblins. It is one of the most versatile cards in the format and it fits right into this deck.

Edict/Swords: Its your "burn" that is actually good against big creatures. They have been considered, for as long as I can remember, the best removal spells in the game.

Jitte: Well, if you didn't notice the recuring theme of life loss in this deck, here is the card that helps the recovery, while being an absolutely amazing card. Giving you one of the best late games of any Zoo deck, and making your match-ups against random decks much better.

The sideboard is quite straight forward. Against combo decks such as Solidarity and Nausea you side out your creature removal for discard, improving your match-up a lot. Against Goblins, you side out Edicts for Plagues just because Goblins, can go insane. Disenchant is for decks like Rifter and Diddly-Dal, giving you answers to cards you can't deal with otherwise.

The match-ups:

Threshold: Preboard 70-30. Postboard 70-30. They really don't have much in the sideboard for you, and you side in nothing for them, so the match plays out quite similarly both games. :)

Goblins: Preboard 65-35. Postboard 70-30. Seems decent. Like I said, you have a positive match against Goblins just because of the style of deck you are running.

Rifter: Preboard 45-55. Postboard 50-50. This is a tight matchup. There deck is built to beat decks like yours, and you have a hard time dealing with that. You want to side out your creature removal for Duresses, Disenchants, and a Verdict, but that only improves the match-up slightly.

Solidarity: Preboard 40-60. Potboard 65-35. Siding out the dead cards for higly relevant cards makes this match-up much, much better. They will probably side in Disrupts against you, assuming you are going to do exaclty what you do do, so be aware of that.

Golden Grahams: Preboard 75-25. Postboard 80-20. After some testing, you side in Duresses over Jittes in this match-up, and you have a fast clock and an insane amount of distruption for there combo. Also, be aware that you can lose to their disruption.

That is the deck.

Sarah

bigredmeanie
03-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Interesting deck list. Spectral Lynx seems like a very good inclusion in this deck, over Negator. A format with Bolt, and GELMPALM Incenerator, is not a good format for that guy.

But just so you know any deck that has to run SCRUBlands can't be good.

Also you claim such a positive matchup against grow, but their creatures are bigger and better than yours. Mongoose, and Bear are still better than all your creatures. Also a Mage naming Edict and all they have to to is counter Swords, Jitte, keep Confidant off the board, and let their enforcer do the talking.

Lego
03-13-2006, 06:51 PM
This list seems like it's just screaming for Vindicate. I'm not sure, but in my 4 color zoo, Vindicate was the bomb. It just takes care of so much random jank.

Evil Roopey
03-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Also a Mage naming Edict and all they have to to is counter Swords, Jitte, keep Confidant off the board, and let their enforcer do the talking.

Good job, you proved her point. The thing is they can't possibly do all those things while facing down a clock.

This list seems like it's just screaming for Vindicate. I'm not sure, but in my 4 color zoo, Vindicate was the bomb. It just takes care of so much random jank.

I can't see a valid reason to run Vindicate. It's expensive and you don't have Sinkhole/Wasteland to compliment the land destruction route.

Rastadon
03-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Also you claim such a positive matchup against grow, but their creatures are bigger and better than yours. Mongoose, and Bear are still better than all your creatures. Also a Mage naming Edict and all they have to to is counter Swords, Jitte, keep Confidant off the board, and let their enforcer do the talking.

That's a lot for them to do. She's got 16 removal spells, plus Confidant to draw into more. Gro can put up a fair fight with counters, but in the end there's just too much stuff to take care of, and that's not even including Cabal Therapy. Good luck countering that.

Yes, once they hit threshold they go nuts. But before then they're nothing. Early game, the Gro player won't risk blocking sarcomancies and Brunnies has the early game. When Gro hits threshold, I'm thinking that Jitte, Negator, and STP are the most important cards.

But yeah, I'd advocate Vindicate like a mofo. It's sheer awesomeness can't be ignored. Hell, you could probably cut STP and it'll be ok.

Revert_To_Saved
03-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Spectral Lynx does seem like an especially good inclusion given the current state of the format.

What exactly are the Verdicts in the board for? Just seems as if in the matches you'd side them in (Combo, I'm guessing) Hymn would be better.

Evil Roopey
03-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Verdict is for the life gain and the discard. We found out that Duress and Therapy was more than enough by itself. Verdict just makes it remarkably in your favor so that you can side out those removal spells.

kimberley
03-13-2006, 09:26 PM
I don't want to entirely doubt, this deck can put a lot of pressure on NQG in the early game...and maybe have a positive matchup, but i can't let you get away with messed up argument like this:

Yes, once they hit threshold they go nuts. But before then they're nothing. Early game, the Gro player won't risk blocking sarcomancies and Brunnies has the early game. When Gro hits threshold, I'm thinking that Jitte, Negator, and STP are the most important cards.

(@Rastodon, and @Shadow as well)
What did you say?
What are we talking about in the first place?
It is not unusual that NQGw plays MD Worship and/or MD Needle...anyways...they will bring that stuff in for sure game 2.
NQGr will have lots of fun with a Negator...

So... i am not very satisfied with this:

Threshold: Preboard 70-30. Postboard 70-30. They really don't have much in the sideboard for you, and you side in nothing for them, so the match plays out quite similarly both games.

Excuse me, if i sound way to critical - i am just confused. :)

Anusien
03-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Negator is awful against everything but Mono-U and Reset High Tide. He's fairly awful as a blocker, and it seems like it would absolutely suck to get him Gempalm Incinerated.

The problem with BW is you don't have very many BIG creatures, just lots of efficient ones. The problem is, if you keep throwing out 2/1s, eventually you're going to lose because Goblins get Ringleader advantage. Especially when your draw engine (Bob) loses to all hate imaginable. You run both fewer and worse creatures than Goblins, and they have Vial to pump them down more efficiently. You're basically relying on trading for infinity and then getting a Jitte active.

Try SoFI over Jitte. SoFI costs 1 more, but it's much more efficient and useful the turn it comes down.

AnwarA101
03-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Negator is awful against everything but Mono-U and Reset High Tide. He's fairly awful as a blocker, and it seems like it would absolutely suck to get him Gempalm Incinerated.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Negator is very big threat in this format. He can turn goblins into defensive mode very quickly and goblins is a very bad defensive deck. I've personally used Negator to beat Goblins many times. Sure he can be Gempalmed and you lose if your opponent has 3+ goblins in play, but often times he just kills the goblin player before it matters. He is also amazing against all forms of control in this format. He can kill a control player quickly without any drawback at all. I think your making an assumption here that isn't correct at all.

Rastadon
03-13-2006, 11:27 PM
@kimberley:

Firstly, I'm posting tired so I probably don't know what I was talking about. I was saying that this deck is going to have the upper hand early game with cheap creatures with better stats. Keep in mind, this is pre-thresh. But once they hit thresh it shuts off alot of avenues this deck has. Suddenly Rotting Giant, which is the 2nd most efficient card in the deck, can only trade with their weakest creature.

I think I was just reccommending strategies to take, like accumulating Jitte counters to use on their 4/4 Wearbear when they drop it. I don't know what I was thinking, the aggro strategy hits a brick wall when they've got more beefier creatures.

Evil Roopey
03-13-2006, 11:36 PM
@kimberley:

Firstly, I'm posting tired so I probably don't know what I was talking about. I was saying that this deck is going to have the upper hand early game with cheap creatures with better stats. Keep in mind, this is pre-thresh. But once they hit thresh it shuts off alot of avenues this deck has. Suddenly Rotting Giant, which is the 2nd most efficient card in the deck, can only trade with their weakest creature.

I think I was just reccommending strategies to take, like accumulating Jitte counters to use on their 4/4 Wearbear when they drop it. I don't know what I was thinking, the aggro strategy hits a brick wall when they've got more beefier creatures.

Exactly, and that is exactly why the more controling version of the deck is better than the ones that aren't.

Lego
03-14-2006, 12:32 AM
Test Vindicate before you just right it off. The sheer jank crushing power is enough in and of itself, but beyond that, it'll increase your thresh matchup and is a removal spell that isn't dead against Solidarity :) I'd probably take out a couple creatures for it, removal is good.

Eldariel
03-14-2006, 03:41 AM
I'd personally definately run Spectral Lynx. Pro-green regenerators are pretty big against Threshold (R-variants can't kill it and none of their groundbeaters trample and even W-variants only have StP, and you have Therapy) and regenerators period are pretty good against Goblins, Rifter (they only have StP that can kill Reggers, all other removal they have is either damage-based or doesn't say 'can't be regged' like Vengeance) et co.

Bongo
03-14-2006, 04:25 AM
Has Flesh Reaver been tested?

Dr.ugs
03-14-2006, 05:51 AM
Black based aggro seems to be very popular.I advice you to run Vindicate over Diabolic Edict.You are saying that StP and Edict are your "Burn" but Burn cards are never dead and having 8 dead cards against quite a lot decks donīt seem that good to me.There is no reason not to run Vindicate , even if you donīt have any LD to support it , it still comes nasty against Enchatments and Artifacts.

Negator really isnīt that great you should try something like Spector instead.It gives you more disruption and without negator I would not run MoR(allthough it has some nice interaction with equipped creatures) and Specral lynx is the card that I would replace it with.

Therapy just isnīt enough against Treshhold you need more disruption.

I would advice you to either go the Mono Black way(you might want to take a look at slumpy) because it has a better mana curve , more disruption and more efficient beats or if you want to stay B/W than you could look at the Deadguy Thread(I see NO reason why this should be better than Deadguy?).

If you still want to make something different then use the goot white as well as the good black cards.Make a metagame deck with Silver Knight,Withered Wretch , Plague Splitter etc.. instead of semi good cards like rotting giant.

Shadow
03-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Test Vindicate before you just right it off. The sheer jank crushing power is enough in and of itself, but beyond that, it'll increase your thresh matchup and is a removal spell that isn't dead against Solidarity :) I'd probably take out a couple creatures for it, removal is good.

Cutting creatures seems horrible. If anything at all, I would cut StP.

I'd personally definately run Spectral Lynx. Pro-green regenerators are pretty big against Threshold (R-variants can't kill it and none of their groundbeaters trample and even W-variants only have StP, and you have Therapy) and regenerators period are pretty good against Goblins, Rifter (they only have StP that can kill Reggers, all other removal they have is either damage-based or doesn't say 'can't be regged' like Vengeance) et co.

I'll test it more in depth, but it seems poor. Not having any actually big creatures seems bad.

Has Flesh Reaver been tested?

Yes, he was actually in the original list of the deck. After killing myself more than my opponent, he was taken out.

Black based aggro seems to be very popular.I advice you to run Vindicate over Diabolic Edict.You are saying that StP and Edict are your "Burn" but Burn cards are never dead and having 8 dead cards against quite a lot decks donīt seem that good to me.There is no reason not to run Vindicate , even if you donīt have any LD to support it , it still comes nasty against Enchatments and Artifacts.

Negator really isnīt that great you should try something like Spector instead.It gives you more disruption and without negator I would not run MoR(allthough it has some nice interaction with equipped creatures) and Specral lynx is the card that I would replace it with.

Therapy just isnīt enough against Treshhold you need more disruption.

I would advice you to either go the Mono Black way(you might want to take a look at slumpy) because it has a better mana curve , more disruption and more efficient beats or if you want to stay B/W than you could look at the Deadguy Thread(I see NO reason why this should be better than Deadguy?).

If you still want to make something different then use the goot white as well as the good black cards.Make a metagame deck with Silver Knight,Withered Wretch , Plague Splitter etc.. instead of semi good cards like rotting giant.

First of all, the reason Edict is so good in this deck is because it can kill Nimble Mongoose. I would definatly not cut it for VIndicate.

Now, I'm going to take a page out of you guys' book and say: Test Negator before you ride it off. He is amazing. I will be testing Lynx in the spot today, but I'm going to tell you that it probably won't work.

dre4m
03-14-2006, 09:11 AM
If you need to take care of gro problems, Withered Wretch and Spectral Lynx give them fits, especially if you happen to control a Mother of Runes, too. Hmm... come to think of it, mom hoses almost all the problems for your deck short of an engineered plague, as long as you can get her active, and it's pretty sweet to see your opponent have to send your MoR farming instead of, say, a Phyrexian Negator. That being said, you still have a pretty hard time with E. Plagues and Humility, so Vindicate or Mortify could be good additions. Personally, I would definately include Lynx.

Atwa
03-14-2006, 05:10 PM
First I like to say I really like the deck, it plays very well.

Well, at least it beats Deadguy. Since Deadguy had gained a lot of poppulairity lately, mirrormatches are something you should be prepaired for. Since I really hate playing the deadguy mirror (even more than the high tide mirror) I've never played deadguy in a tournament, as much as I like B/W-decks. I'd give this a try in a tournament.

About the Negators, everybody understands they are a very risky to play, but after a couple of games testing I think they deserve the spot. All you have to do is play them smartly.

I think the only real problem for this deck might be burn. at least the first game.

Zilla
03-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Rifter: Preboard 45-55. Postboard 50-50. This is a tight matchup. There deck is built to beat decks like yours, and you have a hard time dealing with that. You want to side out your creature removal for Duresses, Disenchants, and a Verdict, but that only improves the match-up slightly.
If it's actually a meta concern, there's always Stench of Evil for the SB. :laugh:

Eldariel
03-14-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure if Negator is the right card to cut for Spectral. I'm pretty sure he's quite pivotal for the deck's functioning, as the deck has a stunning lack of true smashing power without the Negator. I'd cut probably 2 1-drops and 2 Giants to keep the manacurve somewhat intact, and not give away too much power while still getting room for the wonders of regeneration.

Shadow
03-30-2006, 08:33 AM
/ Lands
4 [ON] Flooded Strand
4 [A] Scrubland
4 [B] Swamp (1)
1 [A] Plains (1)
4 [ON] Bloodstained Mire

// Creatures
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
3 [OD] Rotting Giant
4 [UL] Mother of Runes
3 [UD] Phyrexian Negator
3 [ON] Wretched Anurid
4 [EX] Carnophage

// Spells
4 [B] Swords to Plowshares
4 [JU] Cabal Therapy
4 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
3 [TE] Diabolic Edict
3 [MR] Chrome Mox
4 [TE] Sarcomancy

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [7E] Engineered Plague
SB: 3 [R] Disenchant
SB: 4 [AT] Hymn to Tourach
SB: 4 [US] Duresss

This is the new list that I have been running. Chrome Mox has proved to be insane, giving you some damn explosive starts and you can make up for the disadvantage with Bob.
The deck has been playing much more smoothly now.

Kadath128
10-17-2006, 06:38 PM
So no one has discussed this deck in many months...

However, I recently have gotten tired of playing Goblins here in Vancouver and after failing to come up with an interesting Obliterate I tried to build a deck that would make use of the Scrublands I bought for Deadguy. I came up with a list that was decent against Gobs and Thresh but a tad inconsistent. I found this list through 'zilla's redirect of a B/W Weenie thread.

The List:
// Lands
4 [U] Scrubland
2 [UNH] Plains
3 [UNH] Swamp
4 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
4 [ON] Windswept Heath
3 [TE] Wasteland

// Creatures
3 [CS] Jotun Grunt
3 [CHK] Isamaru, Hound of Konda
3 [ON] Wretched Anurid
4 [AP] Spectral Lynx
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
4 [UL] Mother of Runes

// Spells
4 [IA] Swords to Plowshares
3 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
4 [JU] Cabal Therapy
3 [TE] Diabolic Edict
3 [MR] Chrome Mox
2 [TE] Sarcomancy

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [P2] Armageddon
SB: 3 [UL] Engineered Plague
SB: 3 [TE] Perish
SB: 3 [NE] Seal of Cleansing
SB: 3 [US] Duress

The differences:
Grunt is rockin in the format, even if he his temporary. He trades or offs every major ground pounder in the format.

Isamaru, cause he's a negligent drawback 2/2 for W

Lynx is power against thresh as the only real option is to swords it or counter it since it wont be dying in combat to their oversized creatures, and it makes it easy to get counters on Jitte.

Only other big differences I can think of are 'Geddon, which is sick with Utility beaters down, and

Seal of Cleansing since I cry to CotV. Although for 2 it still owns if you dont beat them to it with a seal any deck that is going to cast CotV that fast isn't doing much else early game so you can still beat through.

Anywho, that's my bit.

f|i[p]
03-25-2007, 01:43 PM
I know this deck has not been talked about for quite some time... I brought it up since I was planning to bring this to my local tournament in a few weeks..So I might Need some help and suggestions.. thanks

The List:
// Lands
4 Scrubland
4 swamps
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Plains
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Windswept Heath

// Creatures
2 Jotun Grunt
3 Phyrexian Negator
2 Wretched Anurid
2 Spectral Lynx
4 Dark Confidant
4 Mother of Runes
2 Nantuko Shade

// Spells
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Sword of Fire and ice
3 Cabal Therapy
3 Duress
3 Vindicate
2 Chrome Mox
4 Sarcomancy

// Sideboard
SB: 2 Armageddon
SB: 3 Engineered Plague
SB: 2 Perish
SB: 1 Vindicate
SB: 1 Duress
SB: 4 Hymn to Tourach
SB: 2 Withered wretch

Card choices...

I replaced Edicts with Vindicate since Thresh is not a concern of mine since there's only one guy that would probably play thresh in our tournament.. The vindicates saves up space for my sideboard since I wouldnt have to put disenchant effects on it.. It also isnt dead against combo and control match up as well...

The single Sword of fire and ice, is just there since I dont have the 4th jitte.

The nantuko shades are there because I often felt like I needed a bigger body on the board... I didnt put them as a 4 of since they were very mana intesive..Also having them would make it seem that each and every creature I have is a must kill... its more of a threat than carnophage..

At our local tournament the metagame consists of ...
(Im just assuming the no. that would be present because it has been a long time since we had a legacy tournament here)

1-2 White weenie or angel stompy variants
1 Meathooks (counter sliver)
1-2 Rifter
0-1 Loam confinement
0-1 Threshold
3-6 Goblins
1-2 Solidarity
2-3 Rg beats or zoo variants
1-3 Madness
1 Iggy pop
0-1 Angel stax
1-3 Sligh
1-2 Landstill
1-3 suicide black

the rest are random aggro decks and a real small amount of control decks..

aisman132000
03-25-2007, 03:03 PM
I would try and find room for silver knight especially considering that your meta game has a lot of goblins, sligh and rg beatz/zoo. You should probably cut negator as it seems like it will be pretty weak against those decks.

Nihil Credo
03-25-2007, 06:14 PM
I have yet to find a deck where Spectral Lynx is anything more than mediocre against non-Gro opponents... replace them with Silver Knights ASAP. Don't cut Negator, he is powerful against Goblins, even more so since you run Equipment and Mommy.
Wretched Anurid is better off as 1 Rotting Giant and 1 Silver Knight.
Also, the SoFI and the Shades you added are both fairly expensive cards. They are going to screw up your curve, since Bunnies is a very mana-light deck. At first glance, I'd cut the Swords for a third Chrome Mox.

About the SB: Cut the fourth Vindicate (too expensive) and the Perishes (no real reason in your meta), replace with your choice of Needles, Crypts. Alternatively, grab 3x Dystopia and remember to side out your Moms and Grunts when you bring them in. They are absolutely hell on WW/AS, Slivers, Threshold, and sometimes Madness (depending on the build)

Radley
03-26-2007, 04:28 AM
Nice.. Phyrexian negator + mother of rune :eek:

You got more creature choices other than spectral lynx and nantuko shade? I think nantuko shade in a 2 color deck isn't that much effective.

f|i[p]
03-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Im not sure my mana base can support WW consistently. thus I did not include silver knight.Also, as I remember this deck already does quite well against goblins....I might have to test it first if the manabase can support the knight.

The spectral lynx is mediocre against alot of decks.yes... I just got really annoyed at troll ascetics and blastoderms smashing my face on the last tournament when I have smaller creatures in play. Untargetable green creatures are very annoying.. Edicts would have been good except that they would probably have another creature in play to sacrifice.. Thats one of the reasons I run perish in the sideboard and lynx main deck.

Rotting giant I didnt include because it had bad synergy with jotun grunts.

I didnt want to go 3 chrome mox because, If i did draw it late/mid game.. it usually sucked.I also dont want to pitch in too many spells for mox..But I will have to try it first since the last list this decks creator submitted had 3 chrome mox...

Dystopia is a cool suggestion I will have to test it on the perish slot..although with confidant, thats alot of life loss...

As for the nantuko shade... I was really looking for a creature that was a real threat, and kept switching from shades, anurids and hypie..I even tried stonecloakers for the added evation and protection(I will have to try the stonecloakers again)... but in the end, I wanted a big body that is not easily killed that could hit for 3-4 a turn... phyrexian warbeast could be another option, I havnt tested it though. Lots of efficient creatures but no realy big body except for negator and grunt..I was thinking of plague sliver but im
quite sure it would not be a good idea, its slow.. the shades are not as bad as you think...thats why I only run 2.. But if there would be a better one for this slot, I would replace them..

vigilante
03-26-2007, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't be too concerned about the suitability of Shade for this deck...according to the list you posted earlier, there's only two lands in the entire deck that don't produce black (or fetch it via fetchland -> Scrubland). Even Flagstones of Trokair searches up a Scrubland when it gets Wasted or sacrificed to Negator. With so many ways to access so many black sources, Shade seems like a natural fit.

Plague Sliver, however, sounds like a liability in a deck already running Sarcomancy, Dark Confidant and Wretched Anurid. I think that the resource and tempo loss generated by Phyrexian War Beast leaving play would hit you hard, and those guys are like lightning rods for removal. Stonecloaker is a creature I've got a lot of respect for (from playing it in Death & Taxes), but in this case I'd just stick with Shade in your deck...it hits harder than Stonecloaker and is much more resilient as a finisher.

f|i[p]
04-10-2007, 02:11 AM
So I took this deck to a 25 man tournament on the weekend...

I made a few changes to it though..

The List:
// Lands
4 Scrubland
4 swamps
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Plains
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Windswept Heath

// Creatures2 Jotun Grunt
3 Phyrexian Negator
2 Wretched Anurid
2 Spectral Lynx
4 Dark Confidant
4 Mother of Runes
1 Carnophage
1 Isamaru

// Spells
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Sword of Fire and ice
4 Cabal Therapy
3 Smother
2 Vindicate
2 Chrome Mox
4 Sarcomancy

// Sideboard
SB: 3 Engineered Plague
SB: 2 Perish
SB: 2 Vindicate
SB: 4 Duress
SB: 4 Hymn to Tourach

The result... 3-3 overall
The metagame was not as I expected(aggro oriented).. It was full of landstill...

Game 1 LANDSTILL 0-2
game1 i couldnt disrupt him, he took out all of my creatures with fire and ice.. countered the big ones... GG..
game2 I put in all my disruption but it still wasant enough...he had vedalken shackles sided in. which I duressed out... although he had a standstill in hand..I was more scared of the shackles... Factories could block isamaru and sarcomancies all day...mother of runes was virtually useless... jst being able to protect my creatures.. GG..

Game 2 Threshold 2-0
game1 he counters mother of runes-which I had 2 of in my opening hand..Had 2 jitte as well..he counters 1... counters spectral lynx.. I lay down a jitte cast a sarcomancy later on.. and proceed to beat with him...GG
game2 again I get 2 mothers... I duress .. took off a null rod.. Hymn.. he counters.. lay down a mother... and another mother....smother his were bear...then he lays down a nimble mongoose 3/3... I draw into another mother.. lay her down.. I have 3 mothers in play...I draw into grunt.. and beat down... then he dies after 3 turns...I win with mother of runes beat down.. beating down for 1 every turn after...

Game 3 Iggy pop 0-2
game 1 .. he comboes off on the 4th turn.. with sarcomancy and negator in play...
game 2 I side out all creature control and got disruption.. I got a good hand with sarcomancy therapy.... hymn.. and lands...I go sarcomancy first...at least id get flash back from the sarco..He goes 1 land.. 3 lotus petal. i think .. goes off and tendrills me down to 8...i beat down with sarcomancy.. cabal therapy was useless.. he didnt have any hand left.. he draws into land.. then confidant.. he lays him down... sadly I dont have creature control.. he draws into another confidant with confi... next turn he draws 3 cards.. tendrills me again .. gg.... Maybe I made a mistake in playing...this is the only the second time I played against iggy..

Game 4 Counter sliver 2-0

Game 1.. I managed to lay down sarcomancy and isamaru i think...he counters mother and jitte... I proceed to beat down... he lays down a sinew.. I smother...I beat down.. I get a negator down.. he counters...I put down confidant wich draws into jitte.. I win..
Game 2.. He gets mana screwd with daze...he dazes my first turn confidant with mox and land... he lays down his land again...on his turn.. I put down anurid...next turn he had no lands.. I guess he played with a 1 land hand... I vindiate his land the next turn.. He loses due to mana screw..

Game 5 Fish 2-0
Game 1 I managed to put early pressure.. mother of runes being countered ..I lay down a jitte for the win after a while..
Game 2 I put in duress hymn.. which he counters... I lay down a confidant which he counters... I put down a negator .....I smother a mongrel..he had rootwallas on the board with vial at 2.. draw into sword of fire and ice.. he has 1 in hand.. I was quite sure it wasnt a counterspell. I put down the sword.. didnt equip it yet.. I beat down with negator.. he puts down a guilded drake..swiched with my negator.. he then beats me down.. while me beating him down with a drake equiped with sword of fire and ice.. pinginng his negator every turn... at some point we were both down to 6...wiht his negator and vial as his last permanent..I was down to 6.. he attacks.. me.. IM down to 1.. i attack him with his drake for the win...

Game 6.. Salvager combo 1-2
game 1. I managed to put pressure with sarcomancy and negator... which forced him to fizzle... I therapied his lions eye...he didnt put it down because he was thinking I had vindicate in hand...
game 2 he wins with a game keeper...and 3 cabal therapies in graveyard... he therapied my swords...which I had 2 in hand...Simic skyswallower for the win...I wish i had edict..swords were dead..
game 3- He top decks salvager on his 6th turn.. with no hand.. I discarded most of it and with lions eye diamond in his gravyard and spellbomb.. I lose...
he duressed my swords before that...

I thought i Had a very good game against salvager... If i won this match.. I would have made it on the top 8.. 8th spot but luck is luck.I gave him the sweep.. so at least hed have a better chance at top 8....which he got...

So the top 8 was...well I only rem 7 ..

2 goblins.. one with white splash..
3 landstill
1 iggy pop
1 salvager combo.. Im not sure about the other

Over all I think this is a very good aggro control deck.. It needs more tweaking though...More big bodies...2 cc for 3/3
Ive noticed this deck also seems to be suicidal. confidant and anurid..ouch... jitte is a must...

If I were to change anything it would be...
Spectral lynx -unless it were a threshold heavy metagame or a green filled metagame then u could keep him.. if not.. I would replace him for a bigger body...
Sword of fire and ice definitely would be jitte...I jst have 3 at the moment..
I may add another chrome mox for more explosive starts.. jst like shadow suggested on his final build...
Smothers may be edicts.. depending on metagame..
Carnophage and isamaru.. im not sure of.. the did well being first turn plays...
Vindicate.. Im not yet sure if I love it or want to change the spot... they did well.. giving me land d. versus factories.. I also used it for counterbalance...and land screwed slivers..So maybe id keep them in for now..
Jotun grunt... Im still unsure if their good... But I really think they do what they have to against any deck...they get countered ..most of the time..which could be bait..
Perish I would definitely replace..with graveyard hate...crypt... withered wretch or extripate....

The deck did good overall..and it did very very well against aggro control decks...As for combo.. I dont get to play test against any combo players ..thus my lack of play skill...hence perhaps the loss...

the deck needs further optimization.. and fat creatures are the first to come in my thought...2cc for 3/3 would be good...or evation which I would really love...flying would be the best. since they can block as well...

I think Ill have to test... serra avenger.. perhaps they would work as a 2 off in the lynx's slot...I dont think WW on the 4th turn... would be a problem.. since this deck was designd to go 5-6 turns..

MVP all day was negator... I usually won, with him in play...mother secondly.. she loved me soo much that she showed up on all my games except salvager...

raharu
07-18-2007, 04:33 AM
Could this deck make use of Jotum Grunt or Serra's Avenger? They look like nice additions to the deck, since it has gotten ragged on for not having much solidity in terms of big creatures. Since you take damage from some of your stuff, is SoLS worth it? Could you take out sacromancy for vindicate? Although it would move the curve up a little, you would loose less life and have the never dead-jank crushing power everyone loves. That's my two cents. ^_^

C-Aleric
07-18-2007, 01:25 PM
This deck was basically designed to have Jotun Grunt fix the graveyard problem. Put equipment on him, and make sure the 3 turns he's in play he is beating the hell down. Seems like an auto-include of at least 2-3 in the maindeck.

raharu
07-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Oh wow... I didn't see the mention of Chrome Mox when I posted last time (at 5 AM ^_^). With the moxen, why not run Phyraxian Arena over Confidant? It's not vulnerable to Lava Dart and since you run lots of equipment, it might draw away some of the removal aimed at your equipment and moxen, which you might want to keep on the table a little bit more... I just thought I might bring Arena up since everyone wants to run Confidant, but ignores Arena in just about everything, even though it's just as good, if not better in some decks. Well, I'm done now, so yeah... ^_^