PDA

View Full Version : Is there even a reason to judge the CaNG right now?

Artowis
03-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Can we just delete the forum and forget that this iteration of the contest ever existed?

Though we absolutely HAVE to keep the deck that featured 3 FoW, 3 Trinisphere, etc. and went better than 60/40 against the field. That deck is clearly tier.

Or at least rename the contest to 'Create the best (shitty) Zoo deck!'?

Evil Roopey
03-30-2006, 06:32 PM
Can we just delete the forum and forget that this iteration of the contest ever existed?

Though we absolutely HAVE to keep the deck that featured 3 FoW, 3 Trinisphere, etc. and went better than 60/40 against the field. That deck is clearly tier.

Or at least rename the contest to 'Create the best (shitty) Zoo deck!'?

Agreed, I don't want to give up Seas for this bullshit of a contest. The only good deck (EwokZoo) was already a deck that was played in the last D4D. Everyone already knew about it. Oh well.

Zilla
03-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Too fucking bad. Whiners, the lot of you. Josh, you're not allowed to talk shit unless you make an entry that sucks significantly less than what's already there. Furthermore, there are some good entires in there. It comes as absolutely no surprise that the majority of it is crap; there are still some perfectly viable and interesting entries in there.

Roop, you promised the Seas, and we're giving those motherfuckers away. This contest was created at your urging, I'll remind you. It's no one's fault that it didn't produce what you expected.

Seriously, you guys. I know it's all the rage right now to bitch about how every deck is either a Zoo or Stax variant or has Life from the Loam in it, but it is what it is. Those are the entries we got, those are the ones we're going to judge, and one of them is going to win the fucking prize.

Evil Roopey
03-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Too fucking bad. Whiners, the lot of you. Josh, you're not allowed to talk shit unless you make an entry that sucks significantly less than what's already there. Furthermore, there are some good entires in there. It comes as absolutely no surprise that the majority of it is crap; there are still some perfectly viable and interesting entries in there.

Roop, you promised the Seas, and we're giving those motherfuckers away. This contest was created at your urging, I'll remind you. It's no one's fault that it didn't produce what you expected.

Seriously, you guys. I know it's all the rage right now to bitch about how every deck is either a Zoo or Stax variant or has Life from the Loam in it, but it is what it is. Those are the entries we got, those are the ones we're going to judge, and one of them is going to win the fucking prize.

Don't point out the obvious, it makes me sad. :(

frogboy
03-30-2006, 06:43 PM
How does the Wildfire deck not win?

Zilla
03-30-2006, 06:47 PM
The other possible contenders haven't been tested enough to determine that it's the best; but it certainly has promise.

There are others with potential too. We'll discuss it further once all the submissions are in.

Artowis
03-30-2006, 07:09 PM
I didn't submit anything because I realized I would've just submitted one of my infi old decks. :(

And yeah, Wildfire FTW.

Peter_Rotten
03-30-2006, 07:29 PM
I'm not that big a fan of the Wildfire deck - but that's why we have multiple judges. Anyway, that's neither here nor there since it is really a discussion for the judges.

Machinus
03-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Do you guys really think the wildfire deck is good, or do you just think its better than the other decks?

No offense to the deck designer, but 2/3 of the deck is mana! Wasteland and Force of Will annihilate this deck, and those are very prevalent in Legacy.

Is the originality of the deck why you like it? If that is the case, I am very confused. I thought Wildfire was dismissed as unviable as late as last year. I still basically agree with this assessment, but it does not seem that other players agree.

This is less about CANG and more about what people actually think about the card Wildfire in Legacy.

Artowis
03-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Do you guys really think the wildfire deck is good, or do you just think its better than the other decks?

No offense to the deck designer, but 2/3 of the deck is mana! Wasteland and Force of Will annihilate this deck, and those are very prevalent in Legacy.

Is the originality of the deck why you like it? If that is the case, I am very confused. I thought Wildfire was dismissed as unviable as late as last year. I still basically agree with this assessment, but it does not seem that other players agree.

This is less about CANG and more about what people actually think about the card Wildfire in Legacy.

Wasteland doesn't really hurt the deck for that whole '2/3 of the deck is mana' thing. FoW is pretty st00pid though.

And most of the decks in the format can't actually survive getting hit by Wildfire, so I can't see why it wouldn't be any worse than playing some other random board control deck like Wombat or what have you.

None of the decks in the contest would be above tier 2, but the Wildfire one probably has the most potential to not suck and be advanced in the long run.

Machinus
03-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Wasteland doesn't really hurt the deck for that whole '2/3 of the deck is mana' thing. FoW is pretty st00pid though.

I absolutely disagree. If the opposing deck drops a threat and then follows it up with a Wasteland, and perhaps a Rishadan Port/Sinkhole, the game will be over before you begin to execute your strategy. Therefore Wasteland is an even bigger obstacle to this deck than FoW.

MattH
03-31-2006, 12:44 AM
FINE goddammit looks like I'll have to post something so full of newness that you'll marvel at its fresh-baked smell, wafting in the morning dew like bats on their way home to cave.

Nightmare
03-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Honestly, there's so much sarcasm in the posts right now, I can't tell what's serious and what isn't.

kimberley
03-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Agreed, I don't want to give up Seas for this bullshit of a contest. The only good deck (EwokZoo) was already a deck that was played in the last D4D. Everyone already knew about it. Oh well.

I don't understand your point.
CaNGD will be finished tonight, you have got...dunno...87 entries...of which most are even more subpar than we expected. Ok. Fine.

There are two options now:
1. You can hide your anger about this, let any random deck win, that is not represented by at least 5 entries...
....and call the whole thing a pretty good show.
2. You can step out that door and be as cynical as you are in this thread. Despite this would hurt the sites reputation for sure, i have to concede it may include some fun.
For example: You can declare Stax as the winner. Being a non-retard actually includes access to scissors - so sharing 2 Seas among 10 1st place entries in not problematic at all.

SpatulaOfTheAges
04-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Eat it, format, and find it de-LISH-us.

MattH
04-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Let me be the first to congratulate you, and also the first to accuse this contest of being both rigged AND biased.

:D

T is for TOOL
04-18-2006, 09:59 PM
I also must vehemently protest the results of this contest. Aside from the blatant favoritism displayed in awarding the prize to a handicapped contestant, I'm making the claim that my deck was not properly evaluated. Did any of the judges even test Foul Urborg Cowardice Karpulsan Troll Hidden Instinct Sui (FUCK THIS)!? I demand a recount!

Zilla
04-18-2006, 10:22 PM
It should be noted that Foul Urborg Cowardice Karpulsan Troll Hidden Instinct Sui was in fact tested thoroughly by every judge. It was tested against every DTB by every judge because of our anticipation of its superiority. The completely unanimous agreement amongst the judges was that the deck was simply not competitive enough without Life from the Loam and Zombie Infestation. Had the deck included these cards, we all agreed it would be the clear winner. Due to the lack of these key elements, it only made sixth place on all our lists.

Peter_Rotten
04-19-2006, 07:54 AM
Let me be the first to congratulate you, and also the first to accuse this contest of being both rigged AND biased.

Dear Lord, I hope you're being sarcastic. You're being sarcastic, right?

SpatulaOfTheAges
04-19-2006, 11:11 AM
I think he's being facetious.

Peter_Rotten
04-19-2006, 11:41 AM
fa·ce·tious adj.
Playfully jocular; humorous:

Nope. He's surely not facetious.

SpatulaOfTheAges
04-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Main Entry: fa·ce·tious
Pronunciation: f&-'sE-sh&s
Function: adjective

2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious <a facetious remark>

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m
Function: noun

1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm <this is no time to indulge in sarcasm>

pwnd

MattH
04-19-2006, 02:31 PM
I delcare this linguistic battle TO THE DEATH!

Peter_Rotten
04-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Facetious =/= Sarcastic
Facetious is often misused in place of Sarcastic.

Back to the original point: Does MattH actually think that the contest was rigged?

SpatulaOfTheAges
04-19-2006, 04:11 PM
The reverse is true. People use "sarcasm" too loosely, labeling things as sarcastic that are actually, facetious, sardonic, or just ironic.

Peter_Rotten
04-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Oops... You're correct. That's what I get for trying to be a parent when I have important things to do like prove you wrong. Excuse me while I go strangle one, or both, of my children.

scrumdogg
04-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Dear Lord, I hope you're being sarcastic. You're being sarcastic, right?

Neither sarcastic nor facetious, sardonically inflammatory. The lad is being a Type 1 player and attempting to incite the Legacy Apes to roar & beat their chests by poking his (verbal) stick through the bars of our cage (format). SOP, as with kirdape3, accept, ignore, move on.

Zilla
04-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Bullshit. He put a smiley face after it. He was clearly kidding. Not everyone is out to "get us" just because they have an account at TMD. Matt is a Legacy player like the rest of us. He's not berating anyone. Let's move on.

Jander78
04-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Bullshit. He put a smiley face after it. He was clearly kidding. Not everyone is out to "get us" just because they have an account at TMD. Matt is a Legacy player like the rest of us. He's not berating anyone. Let's move on.
and I think scrumdogg's sarcasm just went over your head.....

Zilla
04-19-2006, 06:25 PM
and I think scrumdogg's sarcasm just went over your head.....
I think you're wrong.

Peter_Rotten
04-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Scrumm was simply being facetious.

Jander78
04-19-2006, 06:43 PM
I think you're wrong.
And I think you're a homo.

kirdape3
04-19-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm trying to decide whether or not any of those decks were even worth testing - and you know, none of them were. Not even my own.

Alan, if and when you ever do something worthwhile in the field of Legacy, let me know. Because you've done even less than I have.

Zilla
04-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Alan, if and when you ever do something worthwhile in the field of Legacy, let me know. Because you've done even less than I have.
This will cease now. Both of you.

Artowis
04-19-2006, 07:02 PM
This will cease now. Both of you.

You must feel a lot like your avatar when you look at this place.

MattH
04-20-2006, 01:17 AM
You must feel a lot like your avatar when you look at this place.
Heck, I feel a lot like his avatar when I look at this place!

TheInfamousBearAssassin
04-20-2006, 01:29 AM
It's true that putting a smiley face or "Just kidding" after a statement does not mean that you don't mean it.

It's also true that as the only person that has ever done anything worthwhile in Legacy, or made a single deck in the format capable of winning game 1, that only I have the right to talk. In fact, legally speaking, that makes me the de facto winner of this contest. I could, if I wanted to, take Peter Rotten's car, and he would be powerless to stop me.

MattH
04-20-2006, 01:37 AM
It's also not true that it means that I do! Guess you'll just have to decide for yourselves! Oh the horror!

SpatulaOfTheAges
04-20-2006, 01:50 AM
It's also possible to be facetious and not completely insincere. For instance, there probably was *some* bias. That's unavoidable; people who spend more time around this site were probably more likely to have their decks more thoroughly tested. However, I doubt that Matt or any other rational person would sincerely believe that the contest was legitimately rigged.

Peter_Rotten
04-20-2006, 08:16 AM
... take Peter Rotten's car...
Is this like a "take my wife... please" joke? Because inserting the new flux capacitor into the transmission is going to cost me around 1,500. So, "take my car... please."