PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Bringing Out the Dead - Underplayed Cards

TheInfamousBearAssassin
04-29-2006, 06:02 AM
Was going through some old cards and came across a couple that I felt were worth dusting off and reconsidering.

Card Name: Nova Pentacle (AQ)
Card type: Artifact
Casting cost: 4
Oracle text: 3, Tap: The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to you this turn, that damage is dealt to target creature of an opponent’s choice instead.

- Can shut down attacking waves a creature at a time, unless those waves are multiple Mongeese.

Card Name: Disharmony (LG)
Card type: Instant
Casting cost: 2R
Oracle text: Play Disharmony only during combat before the declare blockers step.
Untap target attacking creature. Gain control of that creature until end of turn.

- I'm thinking this could shine particularly in U/R Landstill, creating 2-for-1s, and giving the deck a cheap answer to untargetable and pro-red guys... assuming they have friends that aren't those things.

Card Name: Fire Covenant (IA)
Card type: Instant
Casting cost: 1BR
Oracle text: As an additional cost to play Fire Covenant, pay X life.
Fire Covenant deals X damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures.

Diefendorf already sides this in his Zoo deck, but no one else seems to know it exists. Cheap, instant speed potential four-for-ones are powerful in aggro or aggro-control decks, even at a hefty life cost. It certainly kicks Goblins in the nutz.

Rastadon
04-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Ahm gettin' bettah! I feeel happy!

Nova Pentacle doesn't shut down a wave a creatures, only one or two at max. Source = 1.

Equinox is a card that I feel could be very strong against Ruination and non Waste non basic hate.

Evil Roopey
04-29-2006, 04:24 PM
I think Waylay is a very underplayed card. Even after it's errata, it's a 3 for 1 against Goblins, and can take down a Werebear and block another. Seems strong to me.

Koby
04-30-2006, 03:16 AM
Firestorm is severly needing a deck to abuse. It's amazingly strong in Life from the Loam decks -- but said decks lacks focus.

kirdape3
04-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Disharmony is cute, but Ray of Command is in a base color and makes Disharmony look awfully terrible. Nobody plays Ray of Command, either.

Doesn't Zoo/(R/x) aggro just run a billion protection men for the mirror matchups? Silver Knight and Paladin en-Vec don't particularly care about the Covenant, and those are the creatures you'd need to tag, no?

martyr
05-01-2006, 01:54 AM
Firestorm is severly needing a deck to abuse. It's amazingly strong in Life from the Loam decks -- but said decks lacks focus.

Enter Hellbent(+Madness+Flashback+Threshold).

Something like:

4x Jagged Poppet
4x Dark Confidant
4x Nimble Mongoose
4x Werebear

4x Duress
4x Terminate?
4x Firestorm
4x Rancor
4x Taste for Mayhem

I dunno. There are so many good cards with so many possible synergies that it'll be a bit before we work out the ideal Hellbent/Madness/Threshold/Flashback deck, but god will it be ridiculous when we do.

Evil Roopey
05-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Enter Hellbent(+Madness+Flashback+Threshold).

Something like:

4x Jagged Poppet
4x Dark Confidant
4x Nimble Mongoose
4x Werebear

4x Duress
4x Terminate?
4x Firestorm
4x Rancor
4x Taste for Mayhem

I dunno. There are so many good cards with so many possible synergies that it'll be a bit before we work out the ideal Hellbent/Madness/Threshold/Flashback deck, but god will it be ridiculous when we do.

I've been working on it. Hellbent seems lacking in the deck though. There is no real reason to ruin your manabase for a couple decent cards.

Brushwagg
05-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Well a few of my favorites:

Lim-Dul's Vault:So good but hasn't really seen any play since Dragon.

Avoid Fate:Thank you 6th Edition rules.

Sword of the Ages:A little expensive. Mass tokens anyone?

Jester's Mask:Again a little expensive but a bomb if it hits.

parallax
05-01-2006, 10:49 PM

Avoid Fate:Thank you 6th Edition rules.

@Vault: Agreed, but it's only really great in non-storm combo decks. Which we don't have many of.

@Avoid Fate: WTF does 6th Ed. have to do with this card? And wtf would you play it in? In fact, wtf all around on this one.

Lego
05-01-2006, 11:36 PM

Except in Ninja Gaiden :wink:

MattH
05-02-2006, 02:07 PM
@Vault: Agreed, but it's only really great in non-storm combo decks. Which we don't have many of.

@Avoid Fate: WTF does 6th Ed. have to do with this card? And wtf would you play it in? In fact, wtf all around on this one.
It originally only countered enchantments and interrupts (and the only interrupts it could counter were REB/BEB and the Laces). Now it counters instants too.

Nightmare
05-02-2006, 02:13 PM
As for Jester's Mask, the card is godawful. It takes a bajillion mana to play, then it takes a whole turn to get it active, then it doesn't even win the game. I'd rather have Cap in every situation, and even Cap sucks in Legacy.

Phantom
05-02-2006, 03:36 PM
It originally only countered enchantments and interrupts (and the only interrupts it could counter were REB/BEB and the Laces). Now it counters instants too.

In the same vein, I always thought Burnout could be a solid card now. Card advantage + disruption vs. Thresh/Solidarity.

Hoojo
05-02-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm currently working on a way to abuse Unearth. Not ground breaking, but it may have some neat tricks with Troll or Eternal Witness.

Brushwagg
05-02-2006, 10:15 PM
As for Jester's Mask, the card is godawful. It takes a bajillion mana to play, then it takes a whole turn to get it active, then it doesn't even win the game. I'd rather have Cap in every situation, and even Cap sucks in Legacy.

Like I said it's expensive. But giving your opponent all lands in their hand can win games. Will I ever play it in Legacy no, it's just an old card that use to be really good.

@Avoid Fate:It's a Green counterspell. Yes it's kind of narrow but it does stop STP. I've played it in the last 6 months or so, SB in The Game, and my opponents have gone, "WTF??!!!"

Found another one.

Rainbow Efreet:With 2 Blue mana open really hard to kill. Just phase out in response to whatever might kill it.

MasterBlaster
05-03-2006, 12:07 AM
I'd love to see Crop Rotation used in some deck. With Serra's Sanctum, Cabal Coffers, and Gaea's Cradle you would think it could be easily abusable. It could also see use as a sort of counter to Wasteland.

Lego
05-03-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm currently working on a way to abuse Unearth. Not ground breaking, but it may have some neat tricks with Troll or Eternal Witness.

Reanimate Volrath's Shapeshifter with it :wink:

Rainbow Efreet

We're talking about really bad MUC decks on one of the threads, check out the pile I recently posted. He's the win condition :wink:

Watcher487
05-03-2006, 12:33 PM

@Avoid Fate:It's a Green counterspell. Yes it's kind of narrow but it does stop STP. I've played it in the last 6 months or so, SB in The Game, and my opponents have gone, "WTF??!!!"

I used to play it in Survival (Both FEB and CSJ) It was really good for the random surprise. The big thing is that it protects a permenant that you control so even though it looks narrow it does nail down alot of stuff especially in alot of the un-conventual matchups. (ie. Solidarity, Rifter, and Burn.)

bigredmeanie
05-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hoojo

Reanimate Volrath's Shapeshifter with it

If your going to use Survival and Shapeshifter just use Reanimate. besides, it comes into play as a Shapeshifter, because the reanimate/unearth spell is what's on top.

dahcmai
05-03-2006, 03:05 PM
I used Angus Mackenzie for style points to replace my spike weaver for laughs. lol

Arboria and Land Equilibrium are still begging to be broken. You'd think it would be possible by now with all the new cards since then.

Land Equilibrium + Ghost Quarter = OMG Combo lmao

Tacosnape
05-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Agreed with Evil Roopey. Waylay is a freaking monster. I've been running it in RGW Survival Sideboard, as not only does it sweep some serious Goblins/Mongeese off the board, it's also a decent assault for six with Anger in the graveyard.

Sword of Light and Shadow's one of the most underappreciated cards I can think of, also. (Everyone loves Jitte and SoFI, but nobody likes SoLS) Protection from White and Black stops a huge portion of creature removal in the format (Stick it on a Silver Knight and rock house) The Lifegain's a minimal effect, as Loxodon Warhammer's far better for that, but the returning of a creature can be very useful if you're running things like Kami of Ancient Law, Mogg Fanatic, and so forth. I think it falls victim to not having an established deck for it.

Psychic Purge is fun too. It's one blue to zap a Lackey, Confidant, Lavamancer, and so forth. And if it gets Hymned out of your hand, the look on your opponent's face is worth far more than the 5 life they'll lose.

Atwa
05-05-2006, 06:24 AM
I used to play it in Survival (Both FEB and CSJ) It was really good for the random surprise. The big thing is that it protects a permenant that you control so even though it looks narrow it does nail down alot of stuff especially in alot of the un-conventual matchups. (ie. Solidarity, Rifter, and Burn.)
How is Avoid Fate going to help against Rifter? They cycle most cards they have, and the only treads you really want to counter (Humility and Lightning Rift) can't be countered with it. The fact it counters instants is rather sweet I think.

Rastadon
05-05-2006, 09:30 PM
I don't think Avoid Fate is really all that great. It's cool that Green's got a counterspell and everything, but so what? I don't care what deck you're playing against, if they pack red they pack medium to insane amounts creature kill. So you've countered a Lightning bolt. Great. They ahve so many more ways to deal with it,a nd you've just dealt with one.

Watcher487
05-05-2006, 09:44 PM
How is Avoid Fate going to help against Rifter? They cycle most cards they have, and the only treads you really want to counter (Humility and Lightning Rift) can't be countered with it. The fact it counters instants is rather sweet I think.
Well I just re-looked up Avoid Fate and now it counters just Instants and Auras. (BOOO)

In FEB I ran 4 counters and 6 Discards spells on top of 3 Avoid Fates in the board. Now while it didn't allow me to take out thier bigger threats, I at least had a trick up my sleeve for when I went to win.

dahcmai
05-06-2006, 01:07 AM
I've been re-using Gueirilla Tactics to deal with the hymns out of Deadguy ale and it's been pretty fun.

Dismantling Blow has been useful again also for dealing with Rifter. Thresh has the colors and the mana to pull it off usually.

I'm surprised propaganda hasn't made a comeback since goblins has a hard time with something like that.

MasterBlaster
05-06-2006, 02:39 AM
One card that I think is underplayed is Maze of Ith. Too bad its a horrible card with Wasteland running around and doesn't tap for mana.

Benie Bederios
05-06-2006, 05:57 AM
I'm surprised propaganda hasn't made a comeback since goblins has a hard time with something like that.

Propaganda can't deal with Goblins. It comes down to late and only delays them a little, and it can be REB'd. Where Wrath of God just stops them far better and even Shackles is better.

MattH
05-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Well I just re-looked up Avoid Fate and now it counters just Instants and Auras. (BOOO)

In FEB I ran 4 counters and 6 Discards spells on top of 3 Avoid Fates in the board. Now while it didn't allow me to take out thier bigger threats, I at least had a trick up my sleeve for when I went to win.
What else were you using it counter? It never could counter a Lightning Rift.

Tacosnape
05-06-2006, 12:21 PM
I've been re-using Gueirilla Tactics to deal with the hymns out of Deadguy ale and it's been pretty fun.

I did that with a Dodecapod last night. Good Times.:cool:

One card that I think is underplayed is Maze of Ith. Too bad its a horrible card with Wasteland running around and doesn't tap for mana.

But it's absolutely freaking incredible if your opponent's running Umezawa's Jitte.

...As I found out from being on the Umezawa's Jitte end. Repeatedly.:mad:

MasterBlaster
05-06-2006, 02:19 PM
But it's absolutely freaking incredible if your opponent's running Umezawa's Jitte.

...As I found out from being on the Umezawa's Jitte end. Repeatedly.:mad:
Maze of Ith is also great to have after you Wrath of God your opponents creatures away. Its nearly impossible for them to build up a game winning army again.

...As I found out by having my creatures WOGed and Mazed. Repeatedly.:mad:

iOWN
05-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Psychic Purge is fun too. It's one blue to zap a Lackey, Confidant, Lavamancer, and so forth. And if it gets Hymned out of your hand, the look on your opponent's face is worth far more than the 5 life they'll lose.

I've actually been using it in a Monoblue Aggroish deck for awhile, and it's been pretty good.

One I would say is underplayed is Teferi's Response. With so many Wastelands in the format, this saves a land and draws two.

Another, maybe, Drop of Honey?

Rastadon
05-07-2006, 04:16 PM
I would think that Blood Moon or Back to Basics or some sweeping non basic hate would be big in Legacy, no?

iOWN
06-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Yes, Blood Moon is definitely an effective card; the lack of play is probably due to the lack of red control? At the least it should be seeing more play in Rifter SB.

Nebuchadnezzar - Therapy on a stick? Maybe good in some kind of Tog Control?

Mirrislegend
06-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Disrupt is very underplayed.

I mainly use it as a SB card, especially in any Fish builds. I bring it in to great effect vs Burn, Homebrew, Solidarity, and to some success vs Rifter and Thresh. It's just ridiculous.

And I agree that Psychic Purge is underplayed. It is difficult to run, however, as it seems narrow at first (a SB card vs Homebrew and random Black decks) but then again, it kills Lackey and other relevant x/1 creatures, and adds a bit (admittedly not much, but a bit) of reach to Blue. This is confusing enough to convince anyone to just turn away from it :frown:

Hoojo
06-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Stunted Growth
Ice Age rare
3GG
Card Type: Sorcery

Rules Text (Oracle): Target player chooses three cards from his or her hand and puts them on top of his or her library in any order.

I've been thinking of trying to use this card, but I'm not sure if I'd be better off with Plowed Under.

Also, I've been looking at Natural Balance; seems it might have potential.

noobslayer
06-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Candelara of Tawnos. It seems so good, but I can't find a way to break . The trouble is finding repeated ways to untap it. So far I had come up with the rather card intensive Echoing Truth+Helm of Awakening+Bubbling Muck+Candelabra of Tawnos.

Finn
06-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Candelabra of Tawnos+Bubbling Muck+Tendrils of Agony=beginnings of a combo deck

iOWN
06-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Or just a High Tide deck, also including some untappers?

calosso
06-18-2006, 04:57 PM
AnwarA101 tried it in Spring tide.

pooispoois
06-18-2006, 06:55 PM
A lot of cards in this thread are reactive, like Avoid Fate, Arboria, etc, but a card I think could be powerful in the format and is a proactive card is Yawgmoth's Agenda. In fact, I'm now on an unofficial quest to break it.
Also, it has Yawgmoth in its name - statistics state it should be broken!

Alfred
06-18-2006, 07:25 PM
The single-most underplayed card in the format is Winter Orb. It hoses a lot of decks.

Mirrislegend
06-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Winter Orb is indeed, awesome, but when its coming out of the SB to screw over 100%, purely-control-devoted control decks. Which is... what 3, maybe 4, decks in the format? And you probably need to count TrainWreck.dec in that (I'm not digging at TrainWreck, in fact I love it, but its not part of many testing gauntlets yet, despite its showing in that major t8).

Winter Orb is a staple in my sideboards, but it really can only go MD in a deck designed to abuse it. And such decks are few and far between, and of those decks, ones that work are just diamonds in the rough. I spent ages on a winter orb deck (my CaNGD II submission: http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3386 ) and it still didnt turn out to be that awesome (:cry:).

The point is, Winter Orb is good, but really not MD material

Phantom
06-18-2006, 09:31 PM
The point is, Winter Orb is good, but really not MD material

Agreed. Way too many Goblins and Thresh running around to maindeck Orb.

MattH
06-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Stunted Growth
Ice Age rare
3GG
Card Type: Sorcery

Rules Text (Oracle): Target player chooses three cards from his or her hand and puts them on top of his or her library in any order.

I've been thinking of trying to use this card, but I'm not sure if I'd be better off with Plowed Under.

Also, I've been looking at Natural Balance; seems it might have potential.
This is a fun card from way back, but I think it's just a worse, slightly faster Fugue. Plow Under sets them much further back, since they had to pay the resources (land drops) for the cards they're putting back.

Bane of the Living
10-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Krosan Grip and Sudden Shock are ridiculously underplayed at the moment. Pick them up people.

Eldariel
10-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Krosan Grip and Sudden Shock are ridiculously underplayed at the moment. Pick them up people.

Could you explain me why you'd want to play Sudden Shock in this format? I mean, sure, it kills Mogg Fanatic without you taking 1, but that appears to be pretty much the only widely played card, against with it's better than the burn-spells. One has to always remember that the quality of specifically, burn, counters and removal in general is many times higher in Legacy than in other formats, while creatures are about the same, so for 'em to be worth it, they need to be really incredibly pushed like Lightning Helix or Magma Jet. I mean, not many spells cards can match Lightning Bolt or even Chain Lightning in terms of pure efficiency.

Complete_Jank
10-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Card Name: Plains
Card type: Basic Land
Oracle text: Tap add one white mana to your mana pool. (This is a mana ability.)

Way under played.

Bane of the Living
10-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Could you explain me why you'd want to play Sudden Shock in this format? I mean, sure, it kills Mogg Fanatic without you taking 1, but that appears to be pretty much the only widely played card, against with it's better than the burn-spells. One has to always remember that the quality of specifically, burn, counters and removal in general is many times higher in Legacy than in other formats, while creatures are about the same, so for 'em to be worth it, they need to be really incredibly pushed like Lightning Helix or Magma Jet. I mean, not many spells cards can match Lightning Bolt or even Chain Lightning in terms of pure efficiency.

Well, it kills Meddling Mage. Thats a huge reason. Also Wild Mongrel, Basking Rootwalla, Nantuko Shade, Psychatog, un-threshed Werebears, and it still takes out all the goblins just the same as jet does but if you aim this one at Siege Gang he wont be hucking goblins at you.

dahcmai
10-28-2006, 01:43 AM
Sudden Shock I expect to scare off a lot of decks by itself. Kind of like the effect Pithing Needle has on Survival Decks. Sure, Survival get's shut down by the card, but Survival is still super powerful for the format.

Think about that and then realize Sudden shocks kills damned near every single typical control deck kill card there is. Morphling (situationaly), Pychatog, Rainbow Efreet? Fah.. They are nothing to it.

I expect Krosan Grip one will see more play though, just because people like efficiency and Sudden shock really doesn't have that for the mana. The Green one can wipe a Disc, shackles, Keg, Deed, and all kinds of board sweeping goodness in one hit with no problems. There's something to be said for that.

Avoid Fate has it's uses, but I think it'll sit in extended more than anywhere. I am glad to see it in standard since it got a renewed use though.

I am actually predicting Pox to make a serious comeback too. Everyone can see that synergy. Smallpox is amazing, no one can argue with that. 2 black to do all that? Yeah, that's good. I tried replacing Sinkholes with Smallpox in a couple decks to try it out and I love it. Especially, if you have the Flagstones to support your scrublands.

I am surprised no one is using Scrying Sheets as a small engine in mono color decks though. It's sick in standard and should at least be half decent in Legacy. All you have to do is make yourself vulnerable to the unplayed Icequake. lol If there was a mono-blue control deck in Legacy that could hold it's own, I'd try to jam them in.

and I still say Land Equilibrium can make something damnit.

Goblin Snowman
11-03-2006, 12:25 PM
The Abyss, Moat, Gradza's Assassin, Promise of Power (in Train Wreak)

Citrus-God
11-03-2006, 12:44 PM

Let's see...

It hits Sakura Tribe Elder, Nantuo Shade, Wild Mongrel, Basking Rootwalla, Viridian Zealot, more with the Sariface this creature if you get priority.

As for Krosan Grip, this is my one main reason to run this card: it hits Aluren.

Eldariel
11-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Let's see...

It hits Sakura Tribe Elder, Nantuo Shade, Wild Mongrel, Basking Rootwalla, Viridian Zealot, more with the Sariface this creature if you get priority.

I'll give you Steve (why would you ever want to spend turn 2 Shocking Steve though?), but if opponent has a target for Zealot he needs to destroy, he'll do so with his priority after he has cast it and if you only play the target afterwards, anything will do. Nantuko Shade will rarely be able to outgrow a Bolt and Rootwalla dies to a Bolt too. Mongrel you're right about, it just doesn't appear to see play in any relevant decks. It just doesn't seem like there're real reasons to play it over 8-Bolt plan here unless your metagame consists of 20% Madness, and really, not even then, since it costs more and doesn't go to the dome as effectively when you need to finish it. I guess, somewhere, there may be some deck that could consider them in addition to the 8 Bolts, but if there is, I haven't seen it yet.

As for Krosan Grip, this is my one main reason to run this card: it hits Aluren.

For Grip, I agree. Although, my #1 reasoning is Jitte. Rather not have the counters come off, and if opponent uses the counters immediately, I'll have much easier time killing the equipped creature. But yea, Grip is great.

Goblin Snowman
11-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Crypt dies to Grip. In Thres, that's pretty awesome.

Finn
11-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Krosan Grip hits Crypts too. What I like about the split second stuff is making the opponent THINK you have it. I think I may leave my sideboard face-up with Krosan Grip on top the next time I have it in there. Then, perhaps I will count out the three mana rather obviously without it in my hand. I may even ask the opponent how many counters are on the Jitte and ask who has priority. This could get fun.

EDIT: yeah, what Eldariel said.

Elfrago
11-04-2006, 03:45 AM
Grip hoses counterspells... that's enough for me!

laststepdown
11-04-2006, 03:54 AM
top 10 most underused cards in legacy
1. lotus petal
2. goblin welder
3. enlightened tutor
4. transmute artifact
5. berserk
6. tangle wire
7. natural order
8. pyroclasm
9. shadow of doubt
10. fact or fiction

(imho)

xsockmonkeyx
11-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Main deck Disenchant/Naturalize

Elfrago
11-05-2006, 05:54 AM
Main deck Disenchant/Naturalize

Usually there are a couple of them in the Main, but you can't afford more since often they are dead cards...

kicks_422
11-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Stifle is the most powerful underplayed card in Legacy right now. I'm still running it as a 4 of in my build of Meat Hooks, and I'm never dissapointed with it. Fishesque decks should start with 4 Stifle, right after 4 FoW IMHO.

Silverdragon
11-05-2006, 06:37 AM
Usually there are a couple of them in the Main, but you can't afford more since often they are dead cards...

And this shows why they are underplayed. Many people believe in this mantra "they only kill artifacts and enchantments so they are dead cards" but there are so many decks out there that play maindeck artifacts or enchantments that in most metagames it could be worth running them maindeck.

Another underplayed card imho is Ancient Tomb. It gives you 2 mana and the drawback is not relevant until you reach your last 2 lifepoints. This card is so good I almost like it more than Workshop :)

Elfrago
11-05-2006, 08:53 AM
And this shows why they are underplayed. Many people believe in this mantra "they only kill artifacts and enchantments so they are dead cards" but there are so many decks out there that play maindeck artifacts or enchantments that in most metagames it could be worth running them maindeck.

Another underplayed card imho is Ancient Tomb. It gives you 2 mana and the drawback is not relevant until you reach your last 2 lifepoints. This card is so good I almost like it more than Workshop :)

Aganist Goblin it kills only Aether Vial, and if you have enough time and mana to waste a disenchant on a Vial you have already won...

Aganist Solidarity is a dead card.

Aganist ******** it kills Pithing Needle wich is useful if you have other cards with activated abilities.

This shows that is useless aganist at least 50% metagame.

Eldariel
11-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Aganist Goblin it kills only Aether Vial, and if you have enough time and mana to waste a disenchant on a Vial you have already won...

Not true. Unless you can take out/shut down Vial, no deck with either blockable, or slow, kill is going to be safe against Goblins. They just chain stuff and kill you out of the blue with EOT-Upkeep SGCs and such, pinging you for ~4 every time in the process and even swinging for lots if swinging is still legal (no Moats or such).

xsockmonkeyx
11-05-2006, 12:43 PM
I feel its a matter of winning more game 1's. Disenchant provides a cheap, effective solution to a lot of general strategies so it can improve your game one chances against a diverse field. Unless you know that they would be dead against the majority of your meta, Disenchant/Naturalize is pretty effective main deck material.

Moczoc
11-05-2006, 01:14 PM
I think that Destructive Urge is a card that has huge potential. With an 1 mana-evasion-critter and a Chrome Mox you can lock your opponent on turn 2.

MasterBlaster
11-05-2006, 01:31 PM
I think that Destructive Urge is a card that has huge potential. With an 1 mana-evasion-critter and a Chrome Mox you can lock your opponent on turn 2.

Problem with that strategy is that the most played creature kill(STP, Lightning Bolt, Innocent Blood, etc.) all cost one mana.

mikekelley
11-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Definatley crop rotation. There has to be a way to abuse the ever loving crap out of that card.

Kronicler
11-07-2006, 01:17 AM
IMO abuse it in a Kobold storm deck with Glimpse of Nature and Slate of Ancestry and use crop rotation to get a Gaea's Cradle and activate the slate to ensure that your combo doesn't fizzle.

Team-Hero
11-07-2006, 02:50 PM
I like Coalition Honor Guard against burn decks.
Tahngarth, Talruum Hero is also a strong card once you've established control of the board... although it is expensive to cast, he is worth it. I've tested him a couple of times.
Drop of Honey is a nice answer to a lot of aggro decks when you need that little something to stall the game. It kills creatures and it prevents the opponent from feeding the enchantment with more so it dies off.

iOWN
11-07-2006, 02:59 PM
I've been working on Drop of Honey, but it's just really hard to work with. It is just really bad against Goblins, as they can explode for twenty life in one turn and Drop is just too slow to really hold them off effectively. All I've got so far is that you can keep it in play with Forbidden Orchard.

Eldariel
11-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Drop of Honey combined with other removal is nice though. Nuke the Warchief and wither their side of the boad. Heck, fun with Time Vault, skip an early turn and take an extra turn to nuke another dude.

Whit3 Ghost
11-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Ensnaring Bridge, especially in Pox and Stax. Locking down Goblins/Agro/Thresh seems really good

emidln
11-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Ensnaring Bridge, especially in Pox and Stax. Locking down Goblins/Agro/Thresh seems really good

I'd just like to note that I've been playing this card forever. It's amazing in Stax. I wish I could run 8.

Vardaman
11-07-2006, 09:13 PM
What about Zombie Infestation? I'm always meaning to build a deck with that.

Mirrislegend
11-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Stifle is the most powerful underplayed card in Legacy right now. Fishesque decks should start with 4 Stifle, right after 4 FoW.

QFT. Stifle is amazingly underplayed. It's never dead: every deck run fetches, and a turn 1 stifle vs a fetch is an immense tempo boost.

Goblin Snowman
11-07-2006, 09:52 PM
What about Zombie Infestation? I'm always meaning to build a deck with that.

I'm working on abusing that card to in the worst way, currently in a build with Survival, 4 Squee, and 4 Krovikan Horror. Only problem is I don't have enough ZIs yet.

Vardaman
11-07-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm working on abusing that card to in the worst way, currently in a build with Survival, 4 Squee, and 4 Krovikan Horror. Only problem is I don't have enough ZIs yet.

I'll have to chat with you tomorrow about it. Are you thinking about blue for Intuition and Careful Study? What else?

Goblin Snowman
11-07-2006, 10:49 PM
It's a GB Survival List with 4 Taiga just for Anger. Instead of Baloth, I use ZI and Mongrol for beaters. I run 2x Oath of Ghouls/Oversold Cemetary since they are the hawt with ZI and generally good all around with Survival, since free Genisis is really good. The deck is still very rough, but if you want me to make a thread for it, I will.

Zuriya
11-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Living Death
http://www.magiccards.info/autocard/living%20death
Perhaps in Reanimator or other decks.
A Wrath combined with Patriarch's Bidding just has to see play.

The Rishadan Pirates are also quite nice.

laststepdown
11-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Any deck with more than 1 color should be running Lotus Petal, imho.
Also, I can't figure out why Goblin Welder isn't the best creature in the format yet. He has such amazing synergy with Lotus Petal.

kicks_422
11-15-2006, 02:48 AM
Because it's in the same format where Lackeys are running rampant. Too much creature hate is in the format for decks using him to arise.

And with all the brokenness present in the format, I don't think turning Welder into a BoP that untaps by sacrificing an artifact once a turn is the one that stands out the most.

raudo
11-15-2006, 06:05 AM
Hmm.. some cards that have always been underplayed came to mind:

Ray of Command
Binding Grasp
Goblin Bombardment

valor
11-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Because it's in the same format where Lackeys are running rampant. Too much creature hate is in the format for decks using him to arise.

And with all the brokenness present in the format, I don't think turning Welder into a BoP that untaps by sacrificing an artifact once a turn is the one that stands out the most.

I agree with the first part, Welder will just die to things like StP, Darkblast, etc. Theres not that much to do with him in this format as opposed to T1 where there is so much, and the Artifact based decks in this format do fine without him, he would slow them down (5/3, even all the Stax variants).
If you are going to use him, Lotus Petal isn't a bad card to use with him, not for mana just for something to switch with, which I agree on. Using him for color fixing is pretty inefficient.
On the subject of Lotus Petal the problem is that it isn't permanent, and only Combo decks really need the speed it gives for the most part. In most cases, decks have such a low average CC that they would rather the Petal be a land.

laststepdown
11-16-2006, 04:16 AM
If you were under any assumption that Welder should be used as mana accel, ever, just drop it.

Vamore
11-16-2006, 10:24 AM
A lot of cards in this thread are reactive, like Avoid Fate, Arboria, etc, but a card I think could be powerful in the format and is a proactive card is Yawgmoth's Agenda. In fact, I'm now on an unofficial quest to break it.
Also, it has Yawgmoth in its name - statistics state it should be broken!

Yawgmoth's Agenda will never be broken. Ever. Seriously. Although, I remember when it first came out, it had some buzz, then died when people realized this card was not tournament worthy.

emidln
11-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Goblin Welder is really busted in UbaStax. The thing is, you need to run it out of the board against certain decks to make it most effective. It's really good vs Control games 2 and 3 where it acts as an anti-counterspell, as well as against randomness where it does fancy tricks with Life from the Loam and Mishra's Factory, as well as Uba Masks sometimes. I've even won from under Primal Order s due to Welder.

I'm sure that Welder would be equally busted in Wildfire Stax or even splashes from U-based or W-based Stax. The thing is, you use him when your opponent boards out creature hate, or when they board in a lot of artifact hate.

Bane of the Living
11-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Welder is pretty fuckin good in Belcher.

Its funny you mentioned a Loam Welder deck, I was thinking about it myself. With artifact lands or just Mishras you can weld in Lotus Blooms now. I wonder if its worth testing that.

emidln
11-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Welder is pretty fuckin good in Belcher.

Its funny you mentioned a Loam Welder deck, I was thinking about it myself. With artifact lands or just Mishras you can weld in Lotus Blooms now. I wonder if its worth testing that.

I just like having an uncounterable engine to getting my lock pieces. It's really nice to be able to set Chalices @ 2, 3, and 4 and then dredge back LftL, replay it (countered) to put it back in the yard for next turn and then activate factory with itself and weld it in for something Juicy. You can keep replaying factory from a Crucible and still get full advantage of LftL. The whole setup has been really saucy.

MattH
11-16-2006, 08:12 PM
I've tested it. It's not worth your time. It sure as fuck wasn't worth mine.

SpikeyMikey
11-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Living Death
http://www.magiccards.info/autocard/living%20death
Perhaps in Reanimator or other decks.
A Wrath combined with Patriarch's Bidding just has to see play.

The Rishadan Pirates are also quite nice.

Funny you should mention it. I've got a janky Death deck put together, it's a lot of fun to play. Witness is amazing with Living Death. So is Diabolic Intent. I'd say it has potential, but it's too janky to actually play in a serious tourney, if I won, I'd have to see my name next to it on the T8 report, and that'd be just too embarassing.

Blair Phoenix
11-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Suppression Field. An early Suppression Field screws over fetchlands, and makes everything from Aether Vial to survival cost more to use.

Goblin Snowman
11-21-2006, 05:23 PM
While messing with G/B Survival Advantage, I stumbled across the "Keeper of the X" cards. They have very decent abilities, and at least three of them are very playable.

Keeper of the Dead - Good in a deck that already uses Oath of Ghouls
Keeper of the Beasts - I make guys that kill Goblins!
Keeper of the Mind - "U" Draw a card sounds good to me

Solpugid
11-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Speaking of oath of ghouls, it's a really underplayed card. So is oversold cemetery. Combined with dredge, those cards can become both card advantage engines and tutors (much like survival...and even great in combo with survival!).

ApokalypseKid9
11-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Speaking of oath of ghouls, it's a really underplayed card. So is oversold cemetery. Combined with dredge, those cards can become both card advantage engines and tutors (much like survival...and even great in combo with survival!).
yeah. Too bad oath of druids is banned. UNBAN OATH!

iOWN
11-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Misinformation B
Instant
Put up to three target cards in an opponent's graveyard on top of his or her library in any order.

This seems good to me. Not by itself, but when backed by hand disruption, it can create a nice disadvantage for your opponent.

For example, you've disrupted Solidarity a bit and now they're comboing off with a few cards in their hand, and cast Meditate. In response, you can play this to stack their library with useless cards, like Flooded Strands, hit islands, and used high tides which pretty much can stop them in their tracks (or, that's what it looks like to me).

* Can be used as graveyard hate.
* Can stack useless cards your opponent trashed to pretty much steal their next two or three draws.

I've tested it out a little before but never really got any results.

Edit -- And Zur the Enchanter-Stasis-Confinement is tech.

noobslayer
11-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Goblin Welder, Life from the Loam, Intuition hardly se play anymore, Grave-shell Scarab, and Hauting Echoes. Granted, they've all be played, but not nearly enough as they should have as of late. Add Sundering Titan to that list too.

SpatulaOfTheAges
11-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Sylvan Library + LftL.

Eldariel
11-24-2006, 12:42 PM
I was just going through green cards and while I'm repeating something, here's a short list of what I came up with:
Berserk
Eureka
Sylvan Library
Gaea's Cradle
Crop Rotation
Natural Order
Constant Mists
Exploration
Drop of Honey

It seems like green could support a whole lot more decks than just a few Survival- and Life-archetypes, and providing Thres with critters.

Lego
11-24-2006, 01:22 PM
I was just going through green cards and while I'm repeating something, here's a short list of what I came up with:

Gaea's Cradle

This isn't a green card. Just saying.

Eldariel
11-24-2006, 01:49 PM
This isn't a green card. Just saying.

It's a pseudo-green card. Don't nitpick :P

laststepdown
11-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Crop Rotation has never made it to a final list for me in Legacy-all the good targets (workshop, bazaar) are stuck in vintage forever. Berserk sees as much play as it can-Tog splashes for it. I wholeheartedly agree that Welder, Loam, and Intuition should be seeing alot of play.

edgewalker
11-26-2006, 10:18 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before but chalice of the void is severely underplayed. I was playing a semi-updated version of chalice black last night and did really well against the big 3. I didn't wtfpwn the decks but I had winning records. I'm also not rying to advocate the deck. What I am trying to say is there needs to be more decks that abuse CotV. Mine just happens to use land distruction along with sphere of resistance/3spere

Goblin Snowman
11-26-2006, 11:15 AM
You don't need to comvince me. I run CotV in just about every deck I can justify it in. Like Rifter, MUC, Rock (tech with deed) anything that is control, ect.

Bane of the Living
11-27-2006, 06:34 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before but chalice of the void is severely underplayed. I was playing a semi-updated version of chalice black last night and did really well against the big 3. I didn't wtfpwn the decks but I had winning records. I'm also not rying to advocate the deck. What I am trying to say is there needs to be more decks that abuse CotV. Mine just happens to use land distruction along with sphere of resistance/3spere

Yea I dont think this card is very underplayed anymore. Its probably hovering around where it should be. It still belongs in a tier one deck but that deck has yet to show itself. I feel this should be Tog. Heavy control with lots of removal is great against gobs and thresh. Add Chalice and not only do those decks take a bigger hit, but Solidarity becomes very beatable.

Ebinsugewa
11-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Agreed, I'm trying to work on the best Tog variant for the current meta, because it has inf maindeck and side ways to deal with the format. It's one of the most customizable decks I've ever played, and I'm glad that I got all the rotating cards that you can move in and out of the deck. You can play Haunting Echoes, which is still amazing, Loam engine if you want, or win small with Ice, Deep Anal and the virtual CA from FTK and Fire Imp. I think the most underplayed card is still Psychatog.

Mirrislegend
12-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Court Hussar - Props to Pinder for running it in E.R.A. However, I'm not sure its Legacy-worthy. But definitely makes the cut in every more restrictive format; maybe it will here.

Crackdown - This card is (looks) amazing. It lends a lot of weight to the argument that "Plains" should be at the head of this thread, as most underplayed card. Hell, it even fits into the sb of Rw Gobs, if there's a creature based matchup they're having trouble with. Its reeeeeeeeedonculous

Ghastly Demise: Just a hawt card. And it only shows up in Dark Thresh. What about those survival variants with black? Hmm? And removal in Friggorid ftw?

Stifle: I just had to put this dude back on this list. He really is the definitive underplayed card. And when he starts getting played in a deck, it puts up great numbers. MeatHooks.dec runs a few, in some versions, and became a force, where played, in short order. A Landstill deck t8ed in Spain on the back of 4 MD Stifle. BHWC Landstill, the most resilient and powerful straight-up control deck I've seen in ages, runs 3 MD Stifle. Hanni Fish, an amazing example of the way aggro-control should be built, runs 3 MD Stifle and took Hanni to a friggin 10th place finish (out of 55 harcore players) in the most recent D4D, despite this being Hanni's first big tourney ever (ok, I'm not certain on that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont flame about it: I'm pretty sure I heard it from the horse's mouth on these very forums). Stifle is a god. Expect it to rape you sooner or later.

outsideangel
12-04-2006, 02:58 AM
Court Hussar - Props to Pinder for running it in E.R.A. However, I'm not sure its Legacy-worthy. But definitely makes the cut in every more restrictive format; maybe it will here.

Crackdown - This card is (looks) amazing. It lends a lot of weight to the argument that "Plains" should be at the head of this thread, as most underplayed card. Hell, it even fits into the sb of Rw Gobs, if there's a creature based matchup they're having trouble with. Its reeeeeeeeedonculous

Ghastly Demise: Just a hawt card. And it only shows up in Dark Thresh. What about those survival variants with black? Hmm? And removal in Friggorid ftw?

Stifle: I just had to put this dude back on this list. He really is the definitive underplayed card. And when he starts getting played in a deck, it puts up great numbers. MeatHooks.dec runs a few, in some versions, and became a force, where played, in short order. A Landstill deck t8ed in Spain on the back of 4 MD Stifle. BHWC Landstill, the most resilient and powerful straight-up control deck I've seen in ages, runs 3 MD Stifle. Hanni Fish, an amazing example of the way aggro-control should be built, runs 3 MD Stifle and took Hanni to a friggin 10th place finish (out of 55 harcore players) in the most recent D4D, despite this being Hanni's first big tourney ever (ok, I'm not certain on that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont flame about it: I'm pretty sure I heard it from the horse's mouth on these very forums). Stifle is a god. Expect it to rape you sooner or later.

I'm not sure about Crackdown. Okay, so it's decent against Gro, and Faerie Stompy I guess, but what else? It doesn't stop Goblins, doesn't stop Pikula, doesn't stop Angel Stompy, doesn't stop Fish, doesn't really stop Reanimator... it seems really poor against just about every aggro deck in the format, and only so/so against the aggro-control. I'd probably rather have Reverence all the time. (why, btw, is house with Humility)

But the other stuff, especially friggin' Stifle, I aggree with. Stifle never seems amazing, because it almost never directly wins you the game, but the tempo boost it provides on things like fetches and wastelands, and it's ability to counter stuff like Mage and Chalice and Ringleader, makes it just an all around good card.

Alfred
12-04-2006, 03:13 AM
Crackdown is a worse Meekstone.

Bane of the Living
12-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Massacre

I play this in everything with burning wish. Its a free WoG against white splash gobs, it tools angel stompy. At the very least it kill Meddling Mage but maybe unthreshed bear and goose as well.

raudo
12-08-2006, 05:19 AM
What do you guys think about Goblin Firestarter?

I'm planning to try out fast goblins again. Something with 4x Firestarter, 4x Lackey and 4x Fanatic.

SpatulaOfTheAges
12-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Massacre

I play this in everything with burning wish. Its a free WoG against white splash gobs, it tools angel stompy. At the very least it kill Meddling Mage but maybe unthreshed bear and goose as well.

QFT. Massacre is in the top 3 Burning Wish targets.

Team-Hero
12-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Nether Void and The Abyss are very underplayed. But they are very hard to get... maybe that's why.

Bane of the Living
12-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Nether Void and The Abyss are very underplayed. But they are very hard to get... maybe that's why.

Not really, against the big 3 those cards all suck. They're so expensive that thresh and solidarity can sculpt good hands with counterspells ready. You'll bump into Daze against thresh and The Abyss blows against solidarity. Against gobs both are too expensive thanks to port/wasteland, and have too small an effect to compete with lackey/vial and swarms of gobs.

Goblin Snowman
12-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Not really, against the big 3 those cards all suck. They're so expensive that thresh and solidarity can sculpt good hands with counterspells ready. You'll bump into Daze against thresh and The Abyss blows against solidarity. Against gobs both are too expensive thanks to port/wasteland, and have too small an effect to compete with lackey/vial and swarms of gobs.

Yeah, but they're great in Stax, with the whole 3B CC, Eating perms every turn, and making everything take 6 with Trinisphere.

troopatroop
12-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Yeah, but they're great in Stax, with the whole 3B CC, Eating perms every turn, and making everything take 6 with Trinisphere.

At the point in the game, I think winning would be in order, rather than winning more.

xsockmonkeyx
12-09-2006, 06:24 PM
At the point in the game, I think winning would be in order, rather than winning more.

Exactly.

Smokestack>The Abyss in more matchups(Thresh, Solidarity vs. Goblins) and Void is rediculous overkill on top of 3sphere.

Goblin Snowman
12-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Exactly.

Smokestack>The Abyss in more matchups(Thresh, Solidarity vs. Goblins) and Void is rediculous overkill on top of 3sphere.

The Abyss > Smokestack vs. Goblins, and every non-tier one deck out there. Yeah, Smokestack is better against Solidarity, and better against Thres, but those are not the two decks you need to worry about, seeing as how Stax crushes both. Void is 3Sphere 5-8 if you want them, and it's simply better since there is a good chance that they will hit 3 land without Wastelock/Smokestack. The real problem with Void is that it's not 1-sided.

Troopatroop - Have you ever seen Stax win quickly? There have been numerous times when I sit for roughly 10 turns digging for a win condition. It's a deck with no form of draw, and usually Factory + 3-4 other ways of winning. And if you're killing them with Factory, they still have 9-10 turns (depending on fetches). If I could have a win when I had a lock, I'd start playing the deck again, but until I can magicly win, I won't.

HdH_Cthulhu
12-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Remand!

Early game it is a timewalk!
And you can do a lot of tricks with it...
And it is a cantrip :)

Cait_Sith
12-12-2006, 01:37 PM
I am Cthulhu here! Muahah!

He took my idea of Remand, but it deserves saying again. Remand is an effective Time Walk for a non-aggro deck. For an more aggressive it is still tempo city.

Daze! This baby is alot better than Force Spike in a number of decks, especially ones that are designed to gum up the board.

Aggro_zombies
12-12-2006, 03:29 PM
I am Cthulhu here! Muahah!

He took my idea of Remand, but it deserves saying again. Remand is an effective Time Walk for a non-aggro deck. For an more aggressive it is still tempo city.

Daze! This baby is alot better than Force Spike in a number of decks, especially ones that are designed to gum up the board.
Um, don't just about all builds of Thresh run Daze? It doesn't seem tremendously underplayed to me, and most of the other good blue decks in the format either don't need it or don't want to set themselves back on mana development.

EDIT: There has got to be an awesome deck out there with Mesmeric Orb in it. I mean, Orb + Gaea's Blessing in a Rock type build would be yummy...I already have something similar that I play casually, but with some tuning it should be good.

Bane of the Living
12-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Feldon's Cane

Tech against Solidarity

Complete_Jank
12-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Remand!

Early game it is a timewalk!
And you can do a lot of tricks with it...
And it is a cantrip :)

Don't trick your self into thinking that Remand is too good.

Memory Lapse is more of a Time walk than Remand.

HdH_Cthulhu
12-13-2006, 10:27 AM
yes it is quit the same, but it depands only on the deck you play... I like to draw cards more then let my opponetn miss a draw!

emidln
12-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Memory Lapse has a certain amount of synergy with enemy Dark Confidants though.

Maveric78f
12-14-2006, 08:46 AM
(spellshock * pyrostatic pillar) + eladamri's vineyard
cavern harpy + aether vial
trinisphere of course
boros swiftblade + equipments and boosts
condescend, very good in monoU
sensei's divining top which has a lot of combo around it (counterbalance, words of wind, helm of awakening, ...) and it's fair in every shuffling deck
multicolor cards like lighning helix, crime/punishement, ...

Cait_Sith
12-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Research/Development. They rock on a stick (Literally, yo gotta put em on a stick to make em rock)

lukatron2
12-14-2006, 11:55 AM
did anyone say berserk? or "charge across araba"

mikekelley
12-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Misdirection

I don't know if it's underplayed, or overplayed, or what.

but I don't see it that often, and it is such a cool card.

Works wonder against PsiBlast too.

farood
12-15-2006, 05:07 AM
Hi everybody
-- 1st post --

Wild mongrel
Amazing, with all sort of things

Disrupt
Can be an early gamebreaker as Stifle/daze

Mirrislegend
12-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Does anyone else see a deck developing here? Mana Denial ftw? Stifle, Disrupt, maybe Mana Short. Then white for Chant, Geddon, and StP. :: off to make a decklist ::

Bane of the Living
12-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Mana Short needs a good combo deck to fit into. I was thinking of playing it in my reanimator deck, Golden Gun. Tapping out Solidarity at eot is nice regardless of whether your playing sorc combo tho.

MattH
12-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Mana Short seems 100% worse than both Turnabout and Gigadrowse. Unless your blue deck somehow doesn't have much blue mana...?

outsideangel
12-16-2006, 03:31 AM
I've always thought there should be some way to break Holistic Wisdom, but have never for the life of me been able to think of one.

MattH
12-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Yeah I've tried HW too; Thran Turbine was an interesting card to use.

Atwa
12-16-2006, 08:30 AM
I've always thought there should be some way to break Holistic Wisdom, but have never for the life of me been able to think of one.

I've been useing Holistic Wishdom in my Enchantress list. After tapping a Serra's Sanctum, it works wonderfull to play a second one, let them both go to the graveyard, discard a forest to return a Sanctum back and play it again.

However I have no idea how to base a deck on this card. I think it only works as a supportcard, or as sbtech in a control metagame.

etrigan
12-16-2006, 10:51 AM

I play it with Wild Research in a deck full of instants. It's slow as shit, never wins, but it's fun to play.

Tao
12-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Repeal:

Great in every control deck.

xsockmonkeyx
12-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Then someone tossed out the name Lose Hope. I had no clue this card existed and my immediate reaction was WOW. It's like a Magma Jet in my colors, except it can also answer a 1st turn Lackey. It's not recurrable like Darkblast but the Scry mechanic is so busted. Serum Visions #5 and #6 sounds great, they are going to help me dig for those Plagues against Goblins and Grunts against Threshold, etc. I really like the idea.

Lose Hope. QFT.

Mirrislegend
12-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Repeal:

Great in every T2 control deck.

Fixed.

Also, @ monkey: Do you know if Lose Hope has been tested? I'd really like to know how it works out.

laststepdown
12-17-2006, 02:00 AM
Lose Hope is really freakin' good. When paired with blue.

Mirrislegend
12-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Lose Hope is really freakin' good. When paired with blue.

You've tested this? And found it to be better than Darkblast, specifically? Because yes it seems like it would work, however, the effect just seems to small to make a true impact.

UniversalSnip
12-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Fixed.

And extended and type one. It's just an efficient card.

xsockmonkeyx
12-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Also, @ monkey: Do you know if Lose Hope has been tested? I'd really like to know how it works out.

Dont know. Ask Hanni, he is usually on the ball. I think it would be pretty good in his fish deck, no?

Mirrislegend
12-17-2006, 06:16 PM
And extended and type one. It's just an efficient card.

I'll give you that it has applications in Vintage, but Extended has Echoing Truth, in addition to so many other bounce spells. Repeal is the best bounce in T2, and is useable in a format chock full of 0-cc spells, and goes in most Tron decks, but it wont find a niche outside of that. And none of those 3 situations apply to Legacy

UniversalSnip
12-18-2006, 12:28 AM
I'll give you that it has applications in Vintage, but Extended has Echoing Truth, in addition to so many other bounce spells. Repeal is the best bounce in T2, and is useable in a format chock full of 0-cc spells, and goes in most Tron decks, but it wont find a niche outside of that. And none of those 3 situations apply to Legacy

It's just good in blue control decks of all stripes.

Unfortunately the blue control decks in legacy are, as a rule, piles and it's very unusual for them to put up numbers in any large event. Classical blue control has inferior quality engines and that's all there is to it.

It has nothing to do with the capabilities of repeal itself.

HdH_Cthulhu
12-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Now i have it!

Rise/Fall

This card could act as a Hymn or a bounce and graveyard return spell

AngryTroll
12-26-2006, 03:49 AM
Just looking through cards spread all over my room, a couple screamed "Play me! Play me!!!!"

Crop Rotation

Fact or Fiction
Seriously...you are telling me the last time I played this card was in TJS (Tendrils Combo?) Come on....I think I just really want some UW control deck to be viable.

Troll Ascetic...once one of the three mightiest creatures (ok, so two creatures and a combo spell somehow printed as a creature...I'm looking at you, World-Gorger Dragon), now he doesn't even fit into RGbSA, where he was from the beginning.

Salvager's Game.
Ok, not a card, but an underplayed deck. Seriously.

Survival of the Fittest.
Come on....another underplayed archetype. There must be some combination of 56 other cards that makes this card incredible. I still play RGbSA, but there must be something stupid good that can be done with that card.

LED. You do the math. Come on, it should fit somewhere.

Anurid Brushhopper, Burning Tree Shaman
Both 3/4s for 3, with perks. Goblins hate to see the Shaman, and the Brushhopper is on-color to best make use of its abilities. LftL, Wrath, etc...there must be something cool to do with it. Seriously...3/4s for 3 can come down before Goblins gets a ton of disruption online, and might slip under Thresh's Counterspells.

The Split Second mechanic.
That green one should be in all sorts of sideboards, but what about some of the other cool ones? Weren't there some?

Psychatog!

Wild Mongrel
Another great aggro creature that seems to not get enough love.

Firestorm
A card that can cause huge card advantage...Rootwallas, Deep Analysis, Dredge cards, Eternal Dragon...there are a bunch of cards that can be pitched to this. OOh ooh! Fiery Temper!

These are just a couple of cards that come to mind. These are all cards that I have wanted to use at some point but couldn't find any good home to put them into. Anyway, I would really love to see some cards like Crop Rotation and FoF do broken things.

HdH_Cthulhu
12-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Phyrexian Negetor! Witch deck plays bolt? (yeha burn... but what else?)

Bach 2 Basic -> MWS Nobody plays "Basic lands" I think people dont no that basics even exist in MWS...

Atwa
12-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Phyrexian Negetor! Witch deck plays bolt? (yeha burn... but what else?)
Goblins (in the form of incinerator), Zoo, Zilla Stompy, Red Death. Only to name a few...

Also don't forget we play in a format filled with creature decks. Negator can be played in sideboards against storm combo decks, but shouldn't be played maindeck in a format filled with goblins, ********, fish, angel stompy etc.

Plank
12-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Goblin Grenade? Good-bye Matron, Hello 5 to the dome.

Shadow1798
01-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Goblin Grenade? Good-bye Matron, Hello 5 to the dome.

Goblin Grenade falls under the grievous crime of not being an actual goblin, and thus weakening Ringleader. Ringleader is not a card you want to be weakening.

Bane of the Living
01-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Crop Rotation got me first place this week in a loam deck. Getting things like Glacial Chasm and Tabernacle whenever you want for one mana is a hot deal.

Heres a card people havent seen since Rifter was played.. HUMILITY

laststepdown
01-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Armageddon.
(Definitely) Back to Basics.
Fact or Fiction.
Wildfire.
Chrome Mox.
Damnation.

Mirrislegend
01-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Given the rise of fish decks, with Hanni Fish and some other rogue, but well built, UW Fish decks, that have good games against Goblins, I think this may be Goblin's tool to fight back:

Magistrate's Veto

Of course, Goblins prolly doesnt need it cuz its ridiculous anyways. Stupid gobbos.

Mirrislegend
01-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Armageddon.
Wildfire.

The issue with those cards is that Legacy operates on such a low curve. It's what allows many decks to gain immense tempo advantages from very early on. Mass LD resets the land situation back to where these decks thrive. You would be doing Tier 1 a favor by running these.

Pinder
01-06-2007, 08:18 PM

Ummm...Phantom invented ERA. I'm sure I'd run Hussars if I played it, though. Brainstorm with a 1/2 Vigilance attached can't be all bad.