PDA

View Full Version : [SCG D4D Report] Red Death Top 4 Day 1

powergamer1003
07-10-2006, 06:26 PM
So I am not sure what to play for the duel for duals, I am deciding between angel stompy, 3C angel stompy, and gro. However, as soon as AnwarA101 send me the list of Sui that he had been working on, I knew had to play it. Here is the list I piloted. Many of the cards needs no explanation, as I am sure AnwarA101 will write about them, and there is already a Sui thread about it. However I will briefly explain some of the card choices. Note: I did not create this deck at all, I just piloted it to Top 4 on Day 1 of the Duel for Duals. Also this is my first tournament report, so bear with the mistakes and typos.

Lands
7 Swamp
3 Badlands
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Polluted Delta
4 Wasteland

Creatures
4 Phyrexian Negator
4 Nantuko Shade
4 Hypnotic Specter
3 Rotting Giant
1 Wretched Anurid

Disruption & Tempo
4 Sinkhole
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Duress
4 Dark Ritual

Removal
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Chain Lightning

Sideboard
4 Infest
4 Dystopia
4 Rise/Fall
3 Pithing Needle

Card Choices:

Negator- Does this card even need explanation? So many players just got overrun by his pure power. He simply plows through goblins.

Rotting Giant- This card fills the slot Anurid had, with virtually no drawback. With the Sac lands, burn and rituals, one can usually support the graveyard removal that he causes.

Wretched Anurid- This is to prevent you from getting or god forbid 3 Giants on the board. The 3-1 split from Giant, Anurid worked out perfectly.

Hypnotic Specter- Stop reading this thread if you need an explanation for this card.

Lightning Bolt/Chain Lightning- These removal turned out to be very efficient. Giving one more outs against goblins, and the deck some reach.

Sideboard Choices

Rise/Fall- This card proved to be not as hot, as I thought it would be. The idea behind it was with 4 side board slots open, why not try playing hymn to tourach 5 through 8.

Tournament Report

Round 1- John Dial (Ravager Affinity)

As soon as I found out what he was playing I was kicking my self for not adding in the overloads in the board, which Anwar suggested to me.

Game 1- I am on the play and start out with a Bloodstained Mire, and pass
He plays turn one artifact Land ,arcbound worker, Paradise Mantle, Paradise Mantle, Frogmite, Frogmite. I burn his frogmite at end of turn, and untap an play a rotting giant. He drops an ornithopter. I attack next turn and he blocks with his worker, putting a modular counter on the ornithopter. I drop a Hippie, and pass the turn. He plays a Ravager and passes. I am manage to attack in and do some damage, until he draws a cranial plating and I am forced to go on the defensive. I proceed to loose after he kills me with a 9/3 ornithopter.

Sideboard- -4 Duress + 3 Pithing needle, 1 Rise/ Fall

Game 1- I start out strong, but there is nothing interesting here, he just overwhelms me with men, I cant stop him.

After loosing my first round I was feeling really bad, however I knew I had to win out, so I tried to go for it.

Record 0-1-0
Round 2- Matt Maurice (Solidarity)

Game 1- My turn one Hippie gets force of willed. Everything else gets remanded until he goes off in my face.

Sideboard – 3 Chain lightning,1 lightning bolt, + 4 Rise/Fall

Game 2-I resolve a turn one Hippie and it becomes; he plays land says go; I swing he discards; I hymn; he plays land, says go, I swing, he discards, I rise fall two more cards. He proceeds to scoop after that. I think some other things might have happened, but I can remember.

Game 3 I get another turn one Hippie ( I know), and he does some cantriping. I swing in. I sinkhole, which gets disrupted. He plays a land. I swing in. I rise/ Fall, that hits two cards. He proceeds to loose the game again after that.

Record 1-1-0
Round 3- Unknown Playing Dead guy ale variant.

Game 1- I start out playing a land, He Starts out with a Isamaru, Which gets quickly bolted. I then play a hymn to tourach, ripping a swords and vindicate out of this hand. He plays a land, I waste, and drop a rotting giant. I ride him in for the win.

No sideboard changes

Game 2- he starts with out the same with an isamaru, which I chainlightning. Then he plays a confidant, which proceeds to dies as well. I hit him with some LD and hand disruption, and he proceeds to die to shade, and hippie.

Record 2-1-0
Round 4 Scott ( Overlord 95) – Gro Splash Black
I am not exactly sure about what happened in this match up. I do know this:
Game 1- I think i get the early beats on, and he does not stabilize, against my disruption. He does not have any way to get rid of my threats.

Sideboard -3 Chain lightning -1 Lightning bolt + 4 Dystopia

Game 2- he gets rid of my men with a bunch of diabolic edicts, and drops his men. It becomes me with about 6 lands, a rotting giant, and a Nantuko Shade, facing down 2 mongeese and a wearbear. However Dystopia comes down and his team starts dropping fast. He drops another bear, and I drop to 4 to the dystopia, and then I crack in with shade. He ends up taking 12 from the attack, and then proceeds to scoop it up next turn

Record 3-1-0
Round 5 Unknown Goblins

Game 1- I get a turn on Hippie, and get going. Hymn, bolt, and other things resolve. He gets a couple goblins down, but I have double rotting giant, and the cant get damage through.

Sideboard -4 Duress +4 Infest

Game 2- I have some early threats, but I hold back on playing them, because of infest. He drops may threats, and I infest away his team. I proceed to drop shade and rotting giant and needle his vials. I crack in again, and again, and he looses fast.

Round 6 Brain Lusk ( Smart Goblins)

Game 1- I kill his early lackey, and drop a rotting giant. He plays a pildriver, but a wasteland and a sinkhole, make sure he plays nothing else.

Sideboard- 4 duress + 4 Infest

Game 2 -
He sideboarded in disenchants; expecting me to bring in engineered plagues. He plays a bunch of men, which I infest. Then I drop men, and I beat in. He drops more guys, and I kill some with some a lightning bolts and chain lightning and drop double rotting giant. Then I play Shade and Hippie, and I start swinging. He plays more men, but goblins are so bad on the defensive. I proceed to swing in for the win.

Record 5-1-0
I get paired against a solidarity player in the next round, but I draw with him, getting in the top 8.

TOP 8 Unknown (playing life from the loam control Tog)
Game 1
I am confused upon what this deck is when I play against him, but I shrug it off. I play a first turn negator against him, which resolves. He drops a trop and exploration plays another land and passes. I play a wasteland, don't use it though, and duress. He has double pyroclasam, counterspell, another Volcanic Island, and a life from the loam. I hit a pyroclasm, and swinging. He plays pyroclasam, and I sac both lands, he then plays the other volc. Draw and attack. He goes down to 10. He draws and passes. I attack again, but he casts moment's peace. I play a land and pass. He draws and passes. I attack and he flashes back moment's peace. I play a land and drop a Nantuko Shade. He does nothing after that I attack again, and pump shade once knocking him to 2. At my end step he cases cunning wish, which I respond by lightning bolting him, and he looses.

Sideboard- No Changes

Game 2
He plays a land and passes. I play another turn 1 negator. He plays a land, and casts life from the loam on his turn bring back a fetchland. I attack, and then play a land and drop a shade. He dredges back life from the loam and casts it. I attack in. He takes 8. I pass He plays a land and passes. I attack. He casts moment's peace. I untap and attack again, and the same thing happens. He then runs out of gas for the next attack, and proceeds to loose the game.

TOP 4 James ( Solidarity)
There is not much to say in this matches. Game one I loose, because i get a slow start and have to mulligan to 6.

Side boarded -3 Chain Lightning -1 Lightning Bolt +4 Rise/Fall

Game 2- I mull to 5 and when my hippie gets forced, I am in dark water. I play a hymn and a rise/fall the hymn is ok, the rise fall hits land, flash of insight, which helps him. He proceeds to go off on my later. I scoop

All in all the trip was a blast I am glad that this deck made back to back top 8's with only 1 player playing it on day 1 , then 2 players playing it on day 2. I think it really has potential. You have to except that your burn match up is terrible, but its worthwhile.

Props go out to: Anwar for inventing such an awesome deck. Jesse Hatfield, for letting us use his house. The Rest of the VA crew for being awesome. Achmed, for making in to the top 8 with angel stompy after playing 4 rounds of red decks. Anyone who is in anyway involved in the thunder bluff discussion. Finally, all the judges who looked up the oracle text on Anaba Grunt.

Slops go out to: Calosso for being him self. Jack, for creating yet another deck. And Gearheart for creating the solidarity Vs solidarity mirror.

quicksilver
07-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Grats on making top 4. And grats to Anwar for top 8ing, I still haven't been able to find out how the top 8 of day 2 turned out. Although Anwar did do well day 2 with this deck, in all fairness his first three rounds were all against solidarity which is one of his best match ups, and he only beat one non-solidarity deck in the swiss (but I don't remeber what that one was, it might have even been solidarity again)

Machinus
07-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Good work. Hopefully I can face this deck in the future.

Whit3 Ghost
07-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Hmmmmmm.

What I like are Sinkhole and Hymn. I don't like Duress, Waste, Shade or Chain Lightning. In my testing with a version of BR agro ( Darkest Hour) I have realized that those slots are better used for more creatures/disruption. 20 doods is a lot, but I prefer 22-24 to allow for more consistant draws. Test Sedge Troll(a personal favorite because of it's ability to block everything and Magma Jet to allow for more consistant Draws. I'd also like to see a one drop creature like Carnophage or Sedge Troll.

I'm really glad to see a BR deck do well(although I wish it was me http://www.starcitygames.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif ), Congrats!

AnwarA101
07-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Congratulations to powergamer1003. He played the deck really well. I told him before I gave him the deck was that he had to play it well and he did. He also did suggest the 1 Anurid instead of the 4th Rotting Giant and he was right about that.