PDA

View Full Version : THE MANA LEAK OPEN 1, Stratford, CT., September 3, 2006

Pages : [1] 2

Iamfishman
08-08-2006, 03:16 PM
What: TMLOpen 1(The Mana Leak Open 1)

When: Sunday, Septemeber 3, 2006

Where: Gamingetc Tournament Center and SuperStore
555 Lordship Boulevard (Exit 30 off I95)
Stratford CT 06615
1-800-380-1115 (until permanent lines are hooked up next week, though 800 will always work)

Lodgings: If any are interested in Lodgings, please mention it in a reply to this thread. I may be able to establish a special room rate at a nearby hotel.

Time: Registration: 10:00 - 11:00 am
Tourney Starts PROMPTLY at 11:00 am(To avoid a prolonged tournament, this will be strictly enforced. Latecomers will be subject to a round 1 loss.)

Cost: $20 Entry Fee
Format: Legacy

Proxies: $2 per proxy(5 proxies maximum)
The decision to include proxies was a tough one. Eventually, I would like to get rid of them in these events. It was with much research and deliberation that I decided these tournaments stand the best chance of growing if we can use proxies to get people interested (and buying cards they would proxy) for Legacy, so that we can still have a huge turnout, even without proxies. That said, with the cost of $2 per proxy, only 5 maximum, and the separate no proxy prize structure(see below)**, I think I have provided many benefits to those who play with no proxies.
Cut: Cut to top 8.

Dopeness Factor: The number of even integers between 4000 and 7000 that have four different digits.

Prizes: Because this is my first time doing this and I have no rough estimate for attendance, I have set up a few contingencies of prize support. I have tried to be generous with the prize support, but I know this might still not YET be on par with TMD Open. Keep in mind that the first Waterbury only had 30 something people, and at one time had 16. If we have more than 70 participants I will continue to increase the prize support accordingly.

Prize Support based on 25-40 Participants
1st Prize – Choice of:
-100 Booster Packs of any type 2 set the store carries
-Imperial Seal + 20 booster packs
-Timetwister + 50 boosters packs
-Library of Alexandria + 50 booster packs
-Library of Alexandria and Timetwister
-10 dual lands of your choice*
-$200 in cash.

2nd Prize – Choice of:
- 50 Booster Packs from any type 2 sets the store carries
- Timetwister
- Library of Alexandria
- 5 dual lands of your choice*
- $100 in cash

3rd Prize – Choice of:
- 30 Booster Packs from any type 2 sets the store carries
- 3 dual lands of your choice*
- 3 Resets
- $60 in cash

4th Prize – Choice of:
- 20 Booster Packs from any type 2 sets the store carries
- 2 dual lands of your choice*
- 2 Resets(If 3rd place player does not want them)
- $40 in cash

5th – 8th Prize – $35 store gift certificate
9th Prize – 5 Booster Packs from any type 2 set the store carries

Prize Support based on 41-70 Participants
1st Prize – Choice of:
-170 Booster Packs of any type 2 set the store carries
-Imperial Seal + 110 booster packs
-Timetwister + 120 boosters packs
-Library of Alexandria + 120 boosters packs
-Library of Alexandria + Timetwister + 70 booster packs
- Unlimited Mox of choice + 10 booster packs
-17 dual lands of your choice*
-$335 in cash.

2nd Prize – Choice of:
- 85 Booster Packs from any type 2 sets the store carries
- Timetwister + 35 booster packs
- Library of Alexandria + 35 booster packs
- 8 dual lands of your choice*
- $165 in cash

3rd Prize – Choice of:
- 50 Booster Packs from any type 2 sets the store carries
- Library of Alexandria
- Timetwister
- 5 dual lands of your choice*
- 3 Resets + 25 booster packs
- $100 in cash

4th Prize – Choice of:
- 35 Booster Packs from any type 2 sets the store carries
- 3 dual lands of your choice*
- 3 Resets(If 3rd place player does not want them)
- $65 in cash

5th – 8th Prize – $35 store gift certificate + 9 boosters of your choice

9th Prize – 9 Booster Packs from any type 2 set the store carries
10th – 16th Prize – Ravnica Block Draft Set

Additional prizes no matter how many players we have:
Last Place Prize – Prize TBD
Farthest travelled participant: FREE ADMISSION TO MAIN EVENT
Round by Round Rafflee – Prizes TBD

If we have 75 or more people, at the end of round 5 we will be taking sign ups for a FREE tournament for a playset of Force of Wills. The tournament will require you to use the same deck used in the main event(to make life infinitely freakin' easier) and to ensure speedy signups and send off.

Magic Trivia(FREE and with PRIZES) will be held for all interested participants after the top 8 starts.

* I don’t have an infinite number of dual lands, so, if the everyone wants the same dual land and I run out of a certain kind, I will still get it for you(either by buying it from the store or off Ebay and having the seller send it directly to you).
** Additionally, the top 8 finishers with no proxies(whether you top 8 or not) will receive the following prize support in addition to any other prizes you may win:
1st with no proxies: $40 cash
2nd with no proxies: $20 cash
3rd – 4th with no proxies: $10 cash
5th – 8th with no proxies: $5 cash

Nightmare
08-08-2006, 03:23 PM
I want to bring as many people to this as possible.

Virginia - It's closer than Syracuse.
Syracuse - It's closer than Virginia.
Massholes - It's in your backyard.
Portland - Fly, fatass, fly.
Texas - Do you still exist on this site?

Seriously, I have heard NOTHING but good things about Ray's tournaments, and I expect this one to be no different. (Even if you didn't take my advice about proxies, Ray :wink: )

tivadar
08-08-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm moving that weekend but will do my best to attend. I'll probably have a better idea about things once it gets closer. I'll try to "drag" some of my friends along too :-P.

EDIT: This is SO not in the MAers backyard btw, didn't realize it was on the coast of connecticut... Good three hour drive for me, especially on a sunday... 84 sucks balls for traffic. </whine>

CavernNinja
08-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Ewww. Proxies sucks tard balls.

legacyplayer0
08-08-2006, 03:37 PM

Dude, you just made me picture tard balls. Way to ruin my day.

AnwarA101
08-08-2006, 03:39 PM
This seems like a great event. Though I have to say that I'm not in favor of proxies in Legacy. As someone who lost cards recently I'm still against proxies in Legacy. The difference between Legacy and Vintage is that the cards in this format for the most part are very affordable. Decks can be built from anywhere from 100-300 dollars and don't lose their value like Standard decks. Having actual cards represents some amount of work someone has gone through to find the right cards for his deck. That person should get all the advantages for the work they have done. Proxies imply that the format is overly expensive which it clearly is not.

quicksilver
08-08-2006, 03:47 PM
At first I thought this tournement for mana leaks. I was like, wow what a lame prize.

Getsickanddie
08-08-2006, 03:49 PM
The prize support for this event seems stellar.

Kadishack
08-08-2006, 03:50 PM
This sounds great. Hopefully school does not start that next monday...that would suck.

Caboose
08-08-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm in Columbus and will gladly pitch in for gas if anyone passes through here.

Iamfishman
To all those who voted for no proxies...I hear ya.

I did however mention extra prizes for not playing with proxies and never mentioned it. The post has been edited. See the double star postscript.

AnwarA101
This sounds great. Hopefully school does not start that next monday...that would suck.

It won't unless you guys have school on Labor Day!

quicksilver
08-08-2006, 03:56 PM
My school has school on Labor day. :(
But fortunatly for me I'll be on co-op for fall quarter in MD still.

Ebinsugewa
08-08-2006, 04:05 PM
My school has school on Labor day. :(
But fortunatly for me I'll be on co-op for fall quarter in MD still.

Wow, this is probably the best tournament ever. Like seriously. Worcester is totally showing up.

quicksilver
08-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Wow, this is probably the best tournament ever. Like seriously. Worcester is totally showing up.

What did your post have to do with my post? Why did you quote me?

Jander78
08-08-2006, 04:27 PM
This event looks excellent. The title is hilarious. I'm glad to see this coming out of the Vintage community as it only expands the support for the Legacy format. The main reason I'm personally not in favor of proxies is because I actually like the sanctioning of tournaments and having it tracked by the DCI, but that's really not anything that's going to keep me away from playing in one of these. Hopefully I'll be able to make it, but as of right now, the scheduled weekend doesn't work for me :(. So everyone support this so Ray has the incentive to host another one of these. I don't think it's going to be hard to acheive the 41-70 goal that Ray has mapped out for prize support. Plus you can't argue with a dopeness factor like that.

Moby Dick
08-08-2006, 04:31 PM
worcester is there.
proxies suck balls, more balls that not having it sanctioned.
You should definetly have some sort of regulations for how to proxy cards, so we don't have some dumbass show up with a proxy thats an inch thick :/

Getsickanddie
08-08-2006, 04:47 PM
You should definetly have some sort of regulations for how to proxy cards, so we don't have some dumbass show up with a proxy thats an inch thick :/

Yeah I think you should def. specifiy that they have to be written on basic land.

URABAHN
08-08-2006, 10:37 PM

Couple things bother me about the event. First, having proxies means it's not sanctioned. Simply put, it would be like playing casual magic. Second, the event is Labor Day Weekend, which means traffic, and lots of it on the way up Friday or Saturday, and plenty more on the way back Monday. Third, the timing sucks. Kaddy's tournament was last weekend, Gen Con is this weekend, and Star City Games Duel for Duals is in October. That's an awful lot of travel in 90 days. Food, gas, lodging, and entry fees = $$$$.

On a positive note, the prizes look fantastic.

Iamfishman
08-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Couple things bother me about the event. First, having proxies means it's not sanctioned. Simply put, it would be like playing casual magic. Second, the event is Labor Day Weekend, which means traffic, and lots of it on the way up Friday or Saturday, and plenty more on the way back Monday. Third, the timing sucks. Kaddy's tournament was last weekend, Gen Con is this weekend, and Star City Games Duel for Duals is in October. That's an awful lot of travel in 90 days. Food, gas, lodging, and entry fees = $$$$.

On a positive note, the prizes look fantastic.

Some replies, take it or leave it.
1.) If you have ever been to a Waterbury, you would certainly know that "non-sanctioned" most certainly is not synonamous with "casual magic".
2.) While Labor Day means cars on the road, people should come up Satruday night or Sunday morning(and who is coming up Friday). Furthermore, where as the holiday weekend means more travellers, it also means many people can come without having to take a Monday off from work.
3.) The tournament is a full 3 weeks after Gencon and 5 weeks before SCG. I think that is plenty of a buffer zone(especially with those events being in Indianapolis and Virginia, respectively).

Ebinsugewa
08-09-2006, 12:17 AM
What did your post have to do with my post? Why did you quote me?

Nothing, I really don't know how that happened. My bad.

Peter_Rotten
08-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Team Albany. Negotiations are in the works. The boss may let me off the hook for this one.

Machinus
08-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Any Legacy players from NC (or even VA/SC) that want to carpool, please let me know ASAP. I'm moving to Raleigh soon, which hopefully will make a difference.

I also strongly disagree with proxies, but I trust Ray to run a great event and I'm sure people won't be disappointed.

insertnamehere
08-09-2006, 10:29 AM
1. As I said flyers will be in the western MA area by saturday. If you need help let me know because I can always help.

2. Does this mean there will be "The mana leak Open" playmats?

See ya there
Bill

Whit3 Ghost
08-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Team Albany. Negotiations are in the works. The boss may let me off the hook for this one.
how far of a drive is this?

quicksilver
08-09-2006, 10:57 AM
how far of a drive is this?

geez can you not use mapquest?!

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=albany&1s=ny&1z=&2pn=&2a=&2c=&2s=&2z=06851&r=f

2 and a half hours, it's right in your back yard. I don't want to hear excuses that it is two far away. The virginian's have twice that distance we we are glad it is so close.

Drathro
08-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Proxies, ick!

Just what I want to do, spend the day trying to read people's chicken scratch, and forgetting that that plains is really a Chains of Mephistopheles.

On the other hand, I could finally play with "Chains of Mephistopheles." :smile:

Seriously, though, proxies + distance = not likely.

Nightmare
08-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Seriously, though, proxies + distance = not likely.The prize support of this tournament is better than anything we've seen not run by SCG. They only get better if you don't use proxies. You live like 2.5 hours from there, why would you want to miss this?

quicksilver
08-09-2006, 11:36 AM
proxies + distance = not likely.

You know I think I explicitly said that I didn't want to hear excuses about drive distance in my post directly above yours. You are some of the closest source members to this tournement, most will be traveling father than you, and you have the nerve to not go because of distance! You my friend, are very lame.

scrumdogg
08-09-2006, 01:57 PM
2.5 hours from Albany? Suck it up boys, that's a cakewalk. Besides, there are a number of points to consider... A) fantabulous prize support - this is as good or better than the SCG D4D tournies (not that those aren't awesome & appreciated) including lots of chioce (choices are good) B) potential for an ongoing series C) proxies disappearing as the series continues D) which would mean eventual sanctioning D1) hell, half the people in any tourney are going to be disappointed - either they sucked out (and are unhappy that their rating is getting kicked in the teeth) or they do well (and are unhappy it isn't sanctioned...ya can't win as an organizer!) D2) there are NO lareg WOTC events scheduled or on the horizon that give a rat's ass about your Eternal rating...ergo, you can still build it up elsewhere for GP Siberia in winter '09....

tivadar
08-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Actually, the thing that honestly concerns me most is labor day weekend anywhere near 95/85. I go to school and live in boston, which should be 2.5 hours. I can see it taking me 4 hours to get there with traffic... As I said, I'm still trying to make it, but with it being move in weekend for most colleges in the area, traffic is going to be a bitch and a half no matter which direction you're coming from (New York or Boston = bad).

The prize pool for this is awesome, though, and I'm still trying to make a large tourney. Perhaps I'll actually get to meet some people besides the worchester crew finally.

scrumdogg
08-09-2006, 02:20 PM
The traffic Sunday AM should be fine - people are going to be travelling on Friday & Saturday early - not Sunday AM. Sunday night might be more problematic, but you are headed back to Boston, won't most of the people be headed out of Boston/NYC at that point?

tivadar
08-09-2006, 02:36 PM
It's not the holiday I'm worried about people travelling for, it's college move-in. The whole weekend tends to be pretty horrible around boston. Getting out MAY not be terrible, getting back in will be...

scrumdogg
08-09-2006, 02:40 PM
If this is on the coast, couldn't you take the train? That would obviate any Boston traffic...and by the time you get back to Boston, wouldn't Mumsy & Pa-pa already be bedded down in the empty nest and off the road?

Kadaj
08-09-2006, 03:54 PM
If by some bizarre miracle I manage to acquire the cards I'll need (yes it's above the alotted Proxies) and not have any commitments that weekend I'm most definately coming to this. It's as close as any large Legacy tournament will ever be to me, and the prize structure looks fantastic. Even if I can't be there, I think this will be a great tourny, sanctioned or no.

Good work Ray!

TheBirdMan
08-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Yeah, this prize structure is great, especially for 20 bucks I hope the upstate ny crew crew can make it there.

Drathro
08-10-2006, 10:58 AM
You know I think I explicitly said that I didn't want to hear excuses about drive distance in my post directly above yours.
I think it was pretty clear in my post that it was the proxies I don't like, and I just drove 2.5 hrs to a tournament this past weekend, so its obviously not just about distance. I'm sorry if one word in my post caused you to have such a reaction. Also, just because you don't wan't something doesn't mean it won't happen. Deal. PS: Try to be polite. Personal attacks are discouraged on these boards.

So what is the rule for proxy construction at this tournament anyway? Maybe I can be swayed to go, if the proxies are required to be recognizable.

URABAHN
08-10-2006, 01:44 PM
So what is the rule for proxy construction at this tournament anyway? Maybe I can be swayed to go, if the proxies are required to be recognizable.

No changing your mind. You said you weren't going, so don't go! You went to a tourney last weekend, you'll have to drive to this one, and you don't like proxies. Don't go.

Drathro
08-10-2006, 02:22 PM
No changing your mind. You said you weren't going, so don't go! You went to a tourney last weekend, you'll have to drive to this one, and you don't like proxies. Don't go.
What's your problem? Have I been rude to you at some point in the past?

Ebinsugewa
08-10-2006, 07:50 PM
"The mana leak Open" playmats?

Quoted for super coolness. I'd love to pick one of those up, what's the deal?

Bane of the Living
08-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Thats just great, I cant wait to play against another 20+ Solidarity players who didnt own Resets. Proxies are not cool in Legacy.

Just because, Ill be sure and proxy 4 Shahrazards. All opposed to proxies should join my crusade.

tivadar
08-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Wait, you mean I can proxy my 4x 1996 world champions? Hmm...

quicksilver
08-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Wait, you mean I can proxy my 4x 1996 world champions? Hmm...

No that card is not tournement legal even if you did own it. You can only proxy cards that are legacy legal.

proxy 4 Sharhazards

Holy crap I am so doing that. I'm totally going 0-0-X. Be prepared for me to burning wish and death wish for shaharazad's from the upper games into the lower games!

Mulletus
08-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah, the proxies and non-sanctitude turn me off slightly.... But the prizes seem too saucey to care. I don't feel like driving either, maybe someone will let me tag along.

Is there a nearby drinking establishment?

Bane of the Living
08-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Is there a nearby drinking establishment?

My car.

tivadar
08-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Drinking in Bane's car, more incentive for me to come... Should I bring the vodka or the beer?

Anusien
08-11-2006, 11:53 AM
No that card is not tournement legal even if you did own it. You can only proxy cards that are legacy legal.

Holy crap I am so doing that. I'm totally going 0-0-X. Be prepared for me to burning wish and death wish for shaharazad's from the upper games into the lower games!
God you people are amateurs. There's only one way to play Shahrazad. First, you need Vedalken Orreries and Miraris (bonus points if you Flash Copper Gnomes into play to put Orrery into play to create a subgame in response to lethal Brain Freeze). You also need creatures with lots of Leaves Play abilities, so you can abuse the stack even more with your Wishes (Shahrazad, copy with mirari, let the copy resolve, Death Wish out a creature from the main game and put its leaves ability on the stack in the main game).

quicksilver
08-11-2006, 11:57 AM
God you people are amateurs. There's only one way to play Shahrazad. First, you need Vedalken Orreries and Miraris (bonus points if you Flash Copper Gnomes into play to put Orrery into play to create a subgame in response to lethal Brain Freeze). You also need creatures with lots of Leaves Play abilities, so you can abuse the stack even more with your Wishes (Shahrazad, copy with mirari, let the copy resolve, Death Wish out a creature from the main game and put its leaves ability on the stack in the main game).

Yes but I don't ever plan on returning to an upper game, just keep making more sub games withing sub games until time is called.

tivadar
08-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Yes but I don't ever plan on returning to an upper game, just keep making more sub games withing sub games until time is called.

Hmm, and I thought meddling was to name high tide or cunning wish. I'm going to have a hard time naming Shahrazad with meddling, seeing as I'm not entirely even sure how it's supposed to be pronounced. Thank god Zzzyxas's Abyss isn't legal!

Bane of the Living
08-11-2006, 12:20 PM

So thats 2 Shahrazad decks.. Or is that 3 Anusien? Comon people get on the band wagon.

Drinking in Bane's car, more incentive for me to come... Should I bring the vodka or the beer?

VODKA

Anusien
08-11-2006, 12:22 PM
I can't go, but if I go, I'd run a serious deck. To do any less is to endanger what is potentially the biggest non-Wizards run tournament for Legacy. Plus, if you don't like having proxies, do two things: A) Go and don't use them. He's only allowing them because he thinks people might need/want them to break into the format. B) Politely ask next time for a sanctioned tournament, and have your friends do the same.

scrumdogg
08-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Perhaps my brain is simply too sleep starved, but why isn't the 1996 World Championship card legal? Where does it say that? The fact that only one exists & it is in a vault somewhere doesn't invalidate it. If it is legal (and IamFishman is the one to say as it is his tournament & it's already non-sanctioned) I know exactly what deck I am going to play :) If it is not legal, the proxies have one positive effect - we know it will be a field packed with Solidarity (yes everyone DOES own Resets), Faerie Stompy (yes everyone DOES own Sea Drake) and Gro (simply the best deck in the format...and now you don't need either Forces or 4x duals :) Wait, a Legacy metagame at a huge turnament that IS predictable? That could be good.....

Oh, and Nate? Feel free to run Shaharazads....I'll dodge you in the first round and then track your progress at the tables on the bottom by the anguished screams of your opponents :) Protest is a fine thing....futile & self-destructive protest? Not so much....

quicksilver
08-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Perhaps my brain is simply too sleep starved, but why isn't the 1996 World Championship card legal? Where does it say that? The fact that only one exists & it is in a vault somewhere doesn't invalidate it. If it is legal (and IamFishman is the one to say as it is his tournament & it's already non-sanctioned) I know exactly what deck I am going to play :) If it is not legal, the proxies have one positive effect - we know it will be a field packed with Solidarity (yes everyone DOES own Resets), Faerie Stompy (yes everyone DOES own Sea Drake) and Gro (simply the best deck in the format...and now you don't need either Forces or 4x duals :) Wait, a Legacy metagame at a huge turnament that IS predictable? That could be good.....

Oh, and Nate? Feel free to run Shaharazads....I'll dodge you in the first round and then track your progress at the tables on the bottom by the anguished screams of your opponents :) Protest is a fine thing....futile & self-destructive protest? Not so much....

I did do some research on this awile back thinking about playing it in oath at a type 1 where proxies where allowed. I did eventually find out that it was not legal. Let me go search again to find out exactly why.

Ewokslayer
08-11-2006, 01:13 PM
I did do some research on this awile back thinking about playing it in oath at a type 1 where proxies where allowed. I did eventually find out that it was not legal. Let me go search again to find out exactly why.

Woot, someone else is bored at work too.

On Topic:
I am thinking of going to this now that I am 90 minutes away, though driving by myself seems less than fun.

Maybe I will even play a different deck than Solidarity.
Perhaps:

Faerie Stompy (yes everyone DOES own Sea Drake)
When did Sea Drake become so damn hard to find and valuable?
For me it would be proxied Psionic Blasts (I really should have bought them when SCG had them on sale) and Sea Sprites :frown:

quicksilver
08-11-2006, 01:18 PM
I am thinking of going to this now that I am 90 minutes away, though driving by myself seems less than fun.

Oh don't worry you won't have to drive by yourself. All you have to do is put up the virginian people and we can go together!

Edit: on the 1996 world champion thing. The card is not in the gatherer data base. So therefore it cannot be legal in any tournaments. I think I had better reason before, but I believe this one is just as valid.

Ewokslayer
08-11-2006, 01:23 PM
I have already made the offer to Anwar with no real response.
Curse you Virginians and your inability to plan more than 12 hours in advance.

EDIT: I am suddenly feeling very Texan. :frown:

quicksilver
08-11-2006, 02:50 PM

I was talking to Anwar yesterday about this, he is the one that mentioned it to me. He doubts he will we going since he will have job+school. But I am interested in going as I am sure other NoVa people. All they have to do is contact me. I don't want to be waiting till the last minute this time. I don't want to hear the morning of "Hey who is giving me a ride", because guess what, you arn't going then. I want to have final plans for who is going at least a week in advance. So if you want to go message me or else you probably won't be going.

And I too feel like a Texan, using threads to pm each other, however other peope are probably interested in this conversation.

Ewokslayer
08-11-2006, 03:43 PM
He doubts he will we going since he will have job+school.
Whatever, It is Labor Day Weekend, job + school shouldn't enter into the equation. I guess he doesn't want his share of the SCG contest prize. :smile:

FireAndIce
08-14-2006, 05:34 PM
@ all those persons who oppose proxies

myself and the store that I go to will definitely be attending this tournament with roughly 8 people going. however, we are just breaking into legacy and as such we do not have all of the required number of duals and such that makes the format possible to play with no proxies. ray has already said that there will be additional prizes for those whom play without proxies.

as for how the proxies will be drawn on. why don't we just all agree that they will be made up in accordance to the way that ray specifies for all waterbury tournaments. that is...you take a land (preferably a plains) cross out the word plains, the card type, etc and then write in what the card does as neatly as possible. they will not be perfectly legible. yet they will be ok. besides why do you seek to restrict access to the tournament completely? allowing only 5 proxies ensures that some money must be spent anyway. (forces still needed for solidarity, duals or forces for thresh etc)

as for the person who said that the tournament will not be as competitive as someone who has attended many waterbury tournaments i can assure you that while waterbury was not as competitive as when i played in us nats it was at least as competitive as say regionals. the fact is that people still want to win.

AnwarA101
08-14-2006, 10:15 PM

I can hear that in tone your voice!! We are Virginians, but I guess you aren't?? I knew you were a turncoat all along. Pretending to be nice to the Virginians, but you were a New Yorker all along!!!

Oh by the way, I always hear you are going to play something else, but then you decide to beat people over the head with Solidarity. I would love to see you play Red Death, but I fear it will be a cold day in Hell before that happens!!

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-14-2006, 10:51 PM
You never know.. he may end up surprising you and the rest of us!!:tongue:

I however, will be playing Vintage deck, and perhaps I will T8 without anyone noticing my card pool!!! Ancestrall is just like Brainstorm!!... except I just don't put two cards back! :laugh:

Ewokslayer
08-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Oh by the way, I always hear you are going to play something else, but then you decide to beat people over the head with Solidarity. I would love to see you play Red Death, but I fear it will be a cold day in Hell before that happens!!

I don't have the cards for Red Death and I wouldn't want to loss out on the top prize for no proxies when I win this thing.

Jim
08-15-2006, 05:58 PM
So, I've thrown it out there to Mr. Nightmare (Adam) that if we have arrangements or whatever for a place to crash for the night, that I could drive some people from the Syracuse area. I haven't heard anything back from that yet, but we'll see. Anyone else from around Syracuse have any preliminary plans for this thing, that's now in a couple of weeks?

Iamfishman
08-16-2006, 02:16 AM
Hi all.

I'm back from Gencon(where by the way after last years top 8 with u/r landstill, I played Stasis to a 3-0-1 start in the legacy champs before losing two in a row).

Time for some replies.

1. As I said flyers will be in the western MA area by saturday. If you need help let me know because I can always help.

2. Does this mean there will be "The mana leak Open" playmats?

See ya there
Bill

Bill has been a great asset in getting the word out about this tournament. Bill, I can't thank you enough for your help.

As for playmats, there will be none for the first time around. If the event is successful, however, there will certainly be playmats possibly as soon as the second event(and if so, the winner of TML#1 will get a mat).

2.5 hours from Albany? Suck it up boys, that's a cakewalk. Besides, there are a number of points to consider... A) fantabulous prize support - this is as good or better than the SCG D4D tournies (not that those aren't awesome & appreciated) including lots of chioce (choices are good) B) potential for an ongoing series C) proxies disappearing as the series continues D) which would mean eventual sanctioning D1) hell, half the people in any tourney are going to be disappointed - either they sucked out (and are unhappy that their rating is getting kicked in the teeth) or they do well (and are unhappy it isn't sanctioned...ya can't win as an organizer!) D2) there are NO lareg WOTC events scheduled or on the horizon that give a rat's ass about your Eternal rating...ergo, you can still build it up elsewhere for GP Siberia in winter '09....

I have tried(and will be trying) to give away as much prize support as possible. My goal is to grow these tournaments focusing less on making money, and more on growing their attendance and reputation. Please keep in mind though that I am not the owner, nor worker, of any store. My affiliation with gaming.etc is simply that they are providing me a place to play in exchange for bringing people in to their store. As such, it is harder, though still important to me, that I give a way a fantastic prize structure.

Eventual disappearance of proxies and sanctioning? A possibility.
Do I know anything for certain right now? Of course not.

GP SERBIA 09? Wotc didn't release that info yet...how did you know about it?

I think it was pretty clear in my post that it was the proxies I don't like, and I just drove 2.5 hrs to a tournament this past weekend, so its obviously not just about distance. I'm sorry if one word in my post caused you to have such a reaction. Also, just because you don't wan't something doesn't mean it won't happen. Deal. PS: Try to be polite. Personal attacks are discouraged on these boards.

Proxy rules (in accordance with rules set forth by SCG) can be found here
http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=29470.0

Proxies will be checked at the time of registration and players will be expected to have all significant information about the card written on it.

Additionally, if you have a card(like Chains of Mephistopheles) with alot of text or oracle different from the printed card, feel free to print out the oracle wording and bring it with you to your matches. If you have said slip of paper, you can write "see rules text" on your proxy and show it to your opponent whenever the card is played during your match. This obviously will not be counted negatively as "bringing outside notes to a match."

@ all those persons who oppose proxies

myself and the store that I go to will definitely be attending this tournament with roughly 8 people going. however, we are just breaking into legacy and as such we do not have all of the required number of duals and such that makes the format possible to play with no proxies. ray has already said that there will be additional prizes for those whom play without proxies.

as for how the proxies will be drawn on. why don't we just all agree that they will be made up in accordance to the way that ray specifies for all waterbury tournaments. that is...you take a land (preferably a plains) cross out the word plains, the card type, etc and then write in what the card does as neatly as possible. they will not be perfectly legible. yet they will be ok. besides why do you seek to restrict access to the tournament completely? allowing only 5 proxies ensures that some money must be spent anyway. (forces still needed for solidarity, duals or forces for thresh etc)

as for the person who said that the tournament will not be as competitive as someone who has attended many waterbury tournaments i can assure you that while waterbury was not as competitive as when i played in us nats it was at least as competitive as say regionals. the fact is that people still want to win.

Thanks for your support and I am glad you will be making it down. As for proxies, see what I said above.

In accordance with this last quote, though, comes a request of you, the Legacy player. I am not as into the Legacy community as I am the Vintage community, however, I really want to see these events be successful, and I know you do too. I can't stress enough the importance of what FireandIce is doing in spreading the word of this event. Only be encouraging the spread of Legacy will your format continue to grow. Please pass news of this event to all you know and encourage them to come check it out.

Thanks,
Ray

Machinus
08-16-2006, 02:36 AM
I really appreciate your support and enthusiasm for this event. If this one is successful, I'm hoping that it will be easier to organize traveling plans in the future. (So, who wants my tech?)

Ewokslayer
08-18-2006, 08:56 AM
(So, who wants my tech?)
[raises hand] I do, I do, pick me, pick me,

Whit3 Ghost
08-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Me too dammit, me too.

Bryant Cook
08-18-2006, 11:51 AM
I really appreciate your support and enthusiasm for this event. If this one is successful, I'm hoping that it will be easier to organize traveling plans in the future. (So, who wants my tech?)

Let me guess. 37 color stax? With 8 exalted angels and Uba mask?

Watcher487
08-18-2006, 12:05 PM
GP Siberia in winter '09....
Hey ixnay on the Prixnay there Scrum, I'm looking to be the only guy from New York with 12 byes at that GP.

Well since I do have the Monday off as well, I might as well go to this damned thing too. If anyone is interested in a ride for Albany just send me a PM. At least I can try to beat Fisherboy if he plays Stasis again... at least the Needles helped in game 2.

Peter_Rotten
08-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Negotiations with Wife-queda have failed. Failed and failed again. Team Albany will not be showing up unless another member drives the ball-and-chain-free members.

quicksilver
08-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Negotiations with Wife-queda have failed. Failed and failed again. Team Albany will not be showing up unless another member drives the ball-and-chain-free members.

You were able to get away to play magic on your aniversary but you can't get away this time?

Peter_Rotten
08-18-2006, 03:53 PM
You were able to get away to play magic on your aniversary but you can't get away this time?

I never said that Wife-Queda makes sense.

quicksilver
08-18-2006, 03:55 PM
I never said that Wife-Queda makes sense.

Oh she's probably just on her period, try asking next week.

Iamfishman
08-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Hey ixnay on the Prixnay there Scrum, I'm looking to be the only guy from New York with 12 byes at that GP.

Well since I do have the Monday off as well, I might as well go to this damned thing too. If anyone is interested in a ride for Albany just send me a PM. At least I can try to beat Fisherboy if he plays Stasis again... at least the Needles helped in game 2.

I would talk trash back, but I will not be playing in my own event.

You'll just have to wait for some other time to beat my stasis deck.

:cool:

Machinus
08-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Let me guess. 37 color stax? With 8 exalted angels and Uba mask?

I play monocolored Stax. Sometimes, no colors at all.

herbig
08-18-2006, 08:16 PM
I just hope the EPIC project is completed by that time so I can win with something else for a change.

Also, this may be the clone's triumphant return to Legacy. Be prepared for twice the Herbig.

Di
08-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Be prepared for twice the Herbig.

That makes my boner huge.

/stoked

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Twice the Herbig!?!?! 0_o

scrumdogg
08-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Identical twins...or clones...or mime stunt doubles...or something...but there are supposedly two of it/them/him

insertnamehere
08-18-2006, 10:59 PM
Not to burst anybodys bubble. The crew from West Springfield will be there in full force. If anybody from Western MA is going and needs a ride come and see us Sundays at the Dragon's Lair.

Cranky wives/girlfriends need not attend attend.

For those of you that don't know where Western MA it is the Capital of all that is Vintage/Legacy.

Tradewhore.

bigbear102
08-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Ray, will you be able to play Vintage on the side, possibly for a few draft sets? We can see who is the actual $500 Vintage Champion of GenCon. Hopefully we will have some time, as I do want to see how my deck does against something like yours. Jim, I should be hitching a ride with you, if you have talked to Adam lately that is....

Iamfishman
08-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Ray, will you be able to play Vintage on the side, possibly for a few draft sets? We can see who is the actual $500 Vintage Champion of GenCon. Hopefully we will have some time, as I do want to see how my deck does against something like yours. Jim, I should be hitching a ride with you, if you have talked to Adam lately that is....

I am down for this, but the only time I forsee myself having time is after the Magic Trivia, which will start after the top 8 begins. If you are still around, I'll certainly take that challenge.

Ray

Mulletus
08-20-2006, 12:36 AM
I need a ride to this, who has an equally loose interpratation of the open container laws as myself? lol

herbigtoo
08-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Like my brother said, I may be there. It's been a while since I've played with these cards though. Does anyone have some Ehrnams I can borrow for my deck? It's unbeatable.

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Rawwwrr... It is officially confirmed. Team Deadguy A.K.A Team Rochester will be there, as will "Cozy", the newest member on our team. CozyTendrils.dec will make people cry. Unfortunately, Zach Fine will not be there, but he will be with us in Spirit. I'm pumped for this tourny!!!

Jim
08-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Matt -
I talked briefly with Adam, and I'm still in talks about borrowing the van for the weekend, so that we can transport more people, but i should have at least a car available to drive. I heard the Herbig bros are coming with us, also Trevor i think too if i have the van.
Alright, I'll be getting in touch with Adam after negotiations tonight with the Mom about the van, hopefully it's a go. Adam said he's working on where we can stay with Trevor and people, so I'm waiting to hear on that.
...pretty excited about this.

Iamfishman
08-21-2006, 11:54 PM
This is shaping up to be quite the event, and I am excited about the perspective attendance. I could very easily see these events becoming a frequently run, large scale tournament on par with The Mana Drain Open.

This first one will really be the jumping pad, though. Be sure to tell your friends.

quicksilver
08-22-2006, 09:57 AM
I know a lot of people from Virginia are coming, it looks like we will have three cars.

Jander78
08-22-2006, 11:13 AM
I think there are at least 2 cars (hopefully more) coming from Syracuse.

quicksilver
08-22-2006, 11:16 AM
I think there are at least 2 cars (hopefully more) coming from Syracuse.

OMG, I think this is the first time I have ever seen you guys leave syracuse to go to someone elses tournement. I'm sure you'll probably change your mind when you realize it is greater than 5 minutes away.

Jander78
08-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Umm....I was at the first few Waterbury tournaments. Weekends are just tough sometimes. This one is too, because I'll be getting home at like 4am on Sunday and leaving shortly after to drive out to this tournament. But I don't plan on missing this.

Nightmare
08-22-2006, 11:21 AM
I have a full minivan coming out, plus another full carload. This hopes to be the first showing of The EPIC Syndicate, so we're all pretty excited about it. I'm pretty sure you can expect a little more travelling from Syracuse in the near future. It doesn't hurt that a) Ray holds amazing tournaments, and b) The prize support is phenomenal.

Mulletus
08-22-2006, 03:01 PM
So do any of the Syracuse cars have room for me? I think Doug wants to come too.

Moby Dick
08-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Anyone going from the worcester area, I need a ride.

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-22-2006, 07:47 PM
This tourny is gonna be insane!!!!!:cool:

herbig
08-22-2006, 08:14 PM
If by insane you mean a Herbig-Herbig finals then yes, that is quite insane. One more piece of power will allow me to proxy Grim Long without borrowing cards anymore. Is Gearhart going to this? He's about due for another top 8 as well.

URABAHN
08-22-2006, 08:30 PM
What rates can you manage at nearby hotels?

Di
08-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Umm....I was at the first few Waterbury tournaments. Weekends are just tough sometimes. This one is too, because I'll be getting home at like 4am on Sunday and leaving shortly after to drive out to this tournament. But I don't plan on missing this.

Not sure if you're aware of this but I already called dibbs on your open seat so I'm comin too. :) When is everyone planning on leaving and shit like that though, because I'm going to need to know...

AnwarA101
08-22-2006, 09:18 PM
If by insane you mean a Herbig-Herbig finals then yes, that is quite insane. One more piece of power will allow me to proxy Grim Long without borrowing cards anymore. Is Gearhart going to this? He's about due for another top 8 as well.

Who is this guy? I mean you think he would be amazing considering the way he talks on here. I played him and he fizzled after playing 15 spells in a storm deck. He had the audacity to call my deck wasteful, but while he was going off he had to disrupt his own spells and remand them so that he would have a draw spell. Wow, If I sucked that much I wouldn't talk too much. I would consider myself lucky that I was basically playing against an auto-win and I just barely won.

herbig
08-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Ouch. I had to google "audacity" just to make sense of your words, but ouch. In referance to that game, I made an insane play error not Remanding the initial Brain Freeze, giving your deck five more turns to kill me unhindered and get a draw to put you into the top 8. Didn't happen though.

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-22-2006, 09:41 PM
What rates can you manage at nearby hotels?

To tell you the truth, my Dad found some pretty savage Hotel Rates.. he is taking down 5 of us "The Other" Team Deadguy members, and he found us a motel for 56$ at an EconoLodge. That's not including taxes and such.. but still pretty sick for cramming a bunch of Magic Players into a room. Not to mention it has 2 Queen Size Beds! I know the Team Unicorn players would prefer to have just one bed, but at any rate, good rates at EconoLodge everyone!!!!

Lego
08-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Is there anyone coming from the Boston area who can pretend they don't know me, and thereby condescend to give me a ride to this tournament? I'm down for gas money and all that :smile:

legacyplayer0
08-22-2006, 11:33 PM
To tell you the truth, my Dad found some pretty savage Hotel Rates.. he is taking down 5 of us "The Other" Team Deadguy members, and he found us a motel for 56$ at an EconoLodge. That's not including taxes and such.. but still pretty sick for cramming a bunch of Magic Players into a room. Not to mention it has 2 Queen Size Beds! I know the Team Unicorn players would prefer to have just one bed, but at any rate, good rates at EconoLodge everyone!!!!

Dibs on a bed.

Getsickanddie
08-22-2006, 11:42 PM
a motel for 56$ at an EconoLodge.

EconoLodges are fucking gross. I got a room at the Holiday Inn for 69 dollars. Whose up for frolicing with me in the indoor swimming pool after a quick work out at the onsite gym?

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Dibs on a bed.

Sorry Phil, but we will be rolling for beds just like we did at Gp Philly. I however, get to use my weighted die!!! :cool:

Kadishack
08-22-2006, 11:59 PM
EconoLodges are fucking gross. I got a room at the Holiday Inn for 69 dollars. Whose up for frolicing with me in the indoor swimming pool after a quick work out at the onsite gym?

Rick and I will most definately join in with you :wink:
I still have no idea where we are going to stay. I can't wait for this tournament!!!!

troopatroop
08-23-2006, 12:24 AM
I may be able to drive down to this. Any albanians wanna come along?

Iamfishman
08-23-2006, 01:47 AM
So I checked out the site today and it looks AWESOME! Plenty of space, immaculately clean, nice new tables and chairs, everything you could ask for.

Also, as far as travelling goes:

1.) I found the train station in the middle of town. It is about a 2 mile drive from the site.
2.) There is a Ramada right next door to the tournament site. I don't know if they have the best rate available, however, next to the site is very convienant.
3.) Hope the Labor Day weekend makes doing a Sunday tournament more of an option. Perhaps in the future we could look at the possibility of a Saturday if it makes sense. No promises yet though.

Di
08-23-2006, 03:46 AM
Rick and I will most definately join in with you :wink:
I still have no idea where we are going to stay. I can't wait for this tournament!!!!

You did tell Rick I was riding with you guys right? I'm sayin, I don't want to miss this as it's the last time I'll probably get to play for the year.

Nightmare
08-23-2006, 07:37 AM
Syracuse: Since I appear to be the one organizing this from our end, here's all the info -

3 Cars:
1) Jander who is bringing Diablos and Kadilak (1 seat open)
2) Getsickanddie who is bringing wastedlife and NickRIT2000 (1 seat open)
3) Jim who is bringing me, herbig, herbigtoo, and bigbear102 (1 seat open)

Jander has a show on Saturday, and plans to leave after that. I don't know if he is leaving at night or early am. He said he doesn not plan to get a hotel, and chances are he'll drive back Sunday night.

Trevor is leaving Saturday and staying at Holiday Inn both Saturday and Sunday nights. He has room for one more (we'll probably steal that spot).

Jim is leaving Saturday and (hopefully, reservations haven't been made yet) staying at Holiday Inn. Plans right now are to leave Sunday night, but we could find a seedy place to crash if necessary. I don't, nor do any of you I'm sure, feel like paying for 2 nights.

troopatroop
08-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Any room in a hotel I could buy? I could sleep on any floor. *fingers crossed*

Getsickanddie
08-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Syracuse: Since I appear to be the one organizing this from our end, here's all the info -

3 Cars:
1) Jander who is bringing Diablos and Kadilak (1 seat open)
2) Getsickanddie who is bringing wastedlife and NickRIT2000 (1 seat open)
3) Jim who is bringing me, herbig, herbigtoo, and bigbear102 (1 seat open)

Jander has a show on Saturday, and plans to leave after that. I don't know if he is leaving at night or early am. He said he doesn not plan to get a hotel, and chances are he'll drive back Sunday night.

Trevor is leaving Saturday and staying at Holiday Inn both Saturday and Sunday nights. He has room for one more (we'll probably steal that spot).

Jim is leaving Saturday and (hopefully, reservations haven't been made yet) staying at Holiday Inn. Plans right now are to leave Sunday night, but we could find a seedy place to crash if necessary. I don't, nor do any of you I'm sure, feel like paying for 2 nights.

We are only staying Sunday night.

Di
08-23-2006, 03:44 PM

This is my best bet, as I have class on Monday morning.

Also, I thought Bryant was riding in Rick's car...? Last I heard, I got the last seat in Rick's car.

Getsickanddie
08-23-2006, 04:18 PM
This is my best bet, as I have class on Monday morning.

Also, I thought Bryant was riding in Rick's car...? Last I heard, I got the last seat in Rick's car.

Nah, he's riding with Wowelko and I.

Deep6er
08-23-2006, 04:31 PM

Yeah, you should see me there too. Also, this is the Top 8 that I've been saving my... Top 8's for. Don't think about that one too much. Not many people understand how amazing I am. :)

Krieger
08-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Not many people understand how amazing I am. :)

I an not so sure there is much to understand here you are not amazing.

Machinus
08-23-2006, 04:50 PM
At least he posted.

How'd you like my props dave?

Deep6er
08-23-2006, 04:59 PM
At least he posted.

How'd you like my props dave?

They were pretty solid. :).

Also, I am much more amazing than Krieger's brain is able to handle, thus looking like un-amazingness to the uninformed (Krieger). :)

Or obviously Quicksilver. Man, what a douchebag, you'd think a giant pro like Dave Price wouldn't be such a bitch. :)

quicksilver
08-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Yeah, you should see me there too. Also, this is the Top 8 that I've been saving my... Top 8's for. Don't think about that one too much. Not many people understand how amazing I am. :)

I don't think you are that amzing. Pretty much all you do is copy the deck Herbig invented (and try to claim you invented it!), do mediocre in a couple events, and then rest on your laurels. I'd be surprised if you ever see another top 8.

AnwarA101
08-23-2006, 05:50 PM
I don't think you are that amzing. Pretty much all you do is copy the deck Herbig invented (and try to claim you invented it!), do mediocre in a couple events, and then rest on your laurels. I'd be surprised if you ever see another top 8.

Wait, Mike Herbig invented a deck? Then why doesn't he know how to play it!

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Insults flying back and forth.. It's getting cold in here! :cool:

legacyplayer0
08-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Insults flying back and forth.. It's getting cold in here! :cool:

You're Mom's flying back and forth! Oh!

Watcher487
08-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Wait, Mike Herbig invented a deck? Then why doesn't he know how to play it!

I don't know why you guys don't understand Mike Herbig. Mike Herbig let BigBear top8 at Legacy Champs. If Mike Herbig was in the top8, he would have roundhouse kicked the guy playing goblins and win Legacy Champs. Mike Herbig definatly knows how to play Solidarity cause he taught Gearhardt how to play the deck at Big Arse 1 when he top8'd that tourney and made everyone think about how Solidarity was the most broken deck coming after the split.

Ohh and Mike Herbig for President.

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-23-2006, 07:03 PM
That, and Mike Herbig gave me cheese crackers after Kadilak's DLD!! What a great guy!

Phil... Cozy was flying back and forth!!!

herbigtoo
08-23-2006, 11:07 PM
I think Mr. Poorsport over there doesn't understand Mike's sarcasm.

I did hear that Mike Herbig learned how to play Magic from a Shaolin monk in a secret school in the Andes. He was allowed a meager ration of rice and green tea for two months and forced to stare down a table at 2x Meddling Mage and 2x Chalice of the Void. It took him two months to work out that puzzle but ten years once rule of law was added. And I heard his penis is really big.

Mulletus
08-23-2006, 11:29 PM
And I heard his penis is really big.

So you've been talking to Teenieboper?

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-24-2006, 12:41 AM

ROFL... Mulletus you're hilarious!!! I hope you show up to this tourney.. drunk as a bitch!!

P.S. Down some brew on the ride over, it will make you Top 8 again!

Lego
08-24-2006, 12:48 AM
And I heard his penis is really big.

Actually, he's been living with the kid his whole life. *shudder* Creepy.

herbig
08-24-2006, 12:53 AM
He is also genetically identical to me.

bigbear102
08-24-2006, 01:20 PM
He is also genetically identical to me.

Too bad coolness isn't genetic, or else we would have had 2x the Herbig at GenCon.

troopatroop
08-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Is there room in a hotel room? I promise I'm very nice and respectable, and would certainly pay! I'll bring a sleeping bag!

quicksilver
08-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Mike Herbig definatly knows how to play Solidarity cause he taught Gearhardt how to play the deck

Oh that's where gearhart learned to suck at the deck.

herbig
08-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Oh that's where gearhart learned to suck at the deck.

oh snap (http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?&id=12374)

quicksilver
08-24-2006, 01:38 PM
oh <AHREF="http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?&id=12374">snap</A>

Oh man, you can't even make a coherent post either. I think solidarity is just beyond your skills.

herbig
08-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Oh man, you can't even make a coherent post either. I think solidarity is just beyond your skills.

co‧her‧ent  /koʊˈhɪərənt, -ˈhɛr-/
Pronunciation[koh-heer-uhnt, -her-]
–adjective
1. logically connected; consistent: a coherent argument.
2. cohering; sticking together: a coherent mass of sticky candies.
3. having a natural or due agreement of parts; harmonious: a coherent design.
4. Physics, Optics. of or pertaining to waves that maintain a fixed phase relationship, as in coherent light.

Which defination of coherent are you operating under?

quicksilver
08-24-2006, 01:49 PM
co‧her‧ent  /koʊˈhɪərənt, -ˈhɛr-/
Pronunciation[koh-heer-uhnt, -her-]
–adjective
1. logically connected; consistent: a coherent argument.
2. cohering; sticking together: a coherent mass of sticky candies.
3. having a natural or due agreement of parts; harmonious: a coherent design.
4. Physics, Optics. of or pertaining to waves that maintain a fixed phase relationship, as in coherent light.

Which defination of coherent are you operating under?

Obviously the one pertaining to waves that maintain a fixed phase relationship.

The definition I was using is "capable of thinking and expressing yourself in a clear and consistent manner" and "signifies that something can be clearly and easily understood". Your post was anything but clear.

Nightmare
08-24-2006, 01:58 PM
I could read it fine. HTML for the win.

quicksilver
08-24-2006, 02:02 PM
I could read it fine. HTML for the win.

Even if the forums accepted html tags, he forgot the space between the "a" and "href".

edit:you know I'm just messing with you cause this thread is supposed to be about as much trash talking as possible, even if that trash talking is about your html.

Di
08-24-2006, 03:48 PM
@everyone

Suck a dick no homo.

herbig
08-24-2006, 08:36 PM
@everyone

Suck a dick no homo.

I don't get it.

kirdape3
08-24-2006, 09:10 PM
You guys are sooooooooooo bad at trash talking. Please stop. That is all.

Iamfishman
08-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Wow...8 Pages...this must already be one of the Source's longest threads.

Am I right?

herbig
08-25-2006, 12:02 AM

Am I right?

You TMDer with your fancy moxes and lotuses. But in response to your question, yes.

iOWN
08-25-2006, 12:04 AM

Am I right?

Not compared to some of the deck threads. But still, really long for a tournament.

There are still Proxies allowed, right?

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Not compared to some of the deck threads. But still, really long for a tournament.
There are still Proxies allowed, right?

Um... as far as the first page of the thread says, yes Proxies are still allowed at 2$ a pop. (Maximum of 5). And additional cash is rewarded to T8 players without Proxies. Anyone want to Proxy basic lands with me?! :confused:

herbig
08-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Just so everyone knows, I'll be holding "Beat the Herbig" side events for packs of Fallen Empires or basic land, your choice. I'm not bringing them though because I don't expect to have to pay out.

AnwarA101
08-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Just so everyone knows, I'll be holding "Beat the Herbig" side events for packs of Fallen Empires or basic land, your choice. I'm not bringing them though because I don't expect to have to pay out.

How about you pay people 10 cents everytime you make a mistake with Solidarity? Wait, this might be a bad idea because you'll go into debt to pay off even the first few games!

Ewokslayer
08-27-2006, 05:44 PM
I will take on all challengers in the Solidarity Mirror.

herbig
08-27-2006, 07:49 PM
How about you pay people 10 cents everytime you make a mistake with Solidarity? Wait, this might be a bad idea because you'll go into debt to pay off even the first few games!
Given how extremely poor I am, this may not be a good idea. On a related note, what is everyone up to the night before? Our crew will be in town and probably down to hang out or something. Whats there to do in Stratford?

Watcher487
08-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Is anyone from Albany looking to go to this thing, cause I'm not dragging my own sorry ass unless I get a couple of peeps to ride with me.

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Given how extremely poor I am, this may not be a good idea. On a related note, what is everyone up to the night before? Our crew will be in town and probably down to hang out or something. Whats there to do in Stratford?

I don't think there is alot to do in Stratford. My dad was trying to find stuff to do to pass the time and he couldn't find much for the weekend, besides some museums.. and yeah enough said. If anybody knows of any way to be entertained the night before.. speak up!

troopatroop
08-27-2006, 10:58 PM
I may go.

bigbear102
08-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Anybody have any foil Spirit Mongers that is going to this thing? I have a friend who wants me to pick some up.

Lego
08-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Anybody have any foil Spirit Mongers that is going to this thing? I have a friend who wants me to pick some up.

Don't lie, you want to pick some up, right? It's okay, I want some Foil Tuskers myself :wink:

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-28-2006, 08:01 PM
While we are on the discussion of cool cards, does anyone happen to have a playset of alternate 4th Edition Uncle Istvans?

URABAHN
08-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Some of the Virginians are looking for cheap lodging in CT. Does anyone go camping up there or have crash space at their pad?

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Some of the Virginians are looking for cheap lodging in CT. Does anyone go camping up there or have crash space at their pad?

Are you willing to pay a little money?? Because I know at the EconoLodge, a room is 56$ and it has two Queen Size Beds and a rollout cot on a sofa. If 5 or 6 people wanna split a room, thats less than 10 bucks a person, and everyone should sleep alright with the two beds and the roll out.

Nightmare
08-29-2006, 07:54 AM
Don't lie, you want to pick some up, right? It's okay, I want some Foil Tuskers myself :wink:I'll hook you up with at least one next time I see you.

Iamfishman
08-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Less than a week until this event. Let's hear some predictions...who is gonna win. My money is on someone from Virginia versus someone from Mass in the finals.

Winning Deck: Iggy-Pop

Getsickanddie
08-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Less than a week until this event. Let's hear some predictions...who is gonna win. My money is only someone from Virginia versus someone from anyplace other than Mass in the finals.

Fixed.

But yeah, Syracuse is coming for our prizes.

insertnamehere
08-29-2006, 10:43 PM
My moneys on MA. The team from W. Springfield will have the most top 8 spots, including the #1 spot.

tivadar
08-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Boston is in the hizous? But seriously, insertname, there's this expression, it's called cold day in hell :-P. Bring the competition, make me eat my words ;).

EDIT: When did MA become a legacy mecca anyways? Seems like three groups started going at it separately, Western, Central, and Eastern, and there's just a lot of legacy in the state now, it's awesome. I'm still working on growing the Boston crew, but Worchester and Springfield seem to have developed very well.

Shriekmaw
08-29-2006, 10:47 PM
My moneys on MA. The team from W. Springfield will have the most top 8 spots, including the #1 spot.

If I had to bet money, then I'll bet on "The Crew" that will come up from Syracuse and show you why we are the capital of Legacy.

Lego
08-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Boston is in the hizous?

I guess I'm trying to join that crew now, so I better represent.

I'll hook you up with at least one next time I see you.

You're my hero! Italian BEBs coming your way soon, BTW :wink: No word yet about the Brainstorms.

EDIT: Just after I posted this, it occured to me that BEBs are most certainly not Hydroblasts. Yay for me... I'll work on that :frown:

Bryant Cook
08-29-2006, 11:18 PM
We all know what's really going to happen. It's going to be a VA/'Cuse top 8. Herbig will beat Gro in top 8, play against X in top 4, draw for 1st. Um... Well atleast that's been the last few patterns from events 'Cuse has played in. I predict a metric fuckton of Solidarity since there's proxies. (Little Timmy) "Gee golly gosh DAD, you don't have to spend 100$ so I can play the deck! Just give me 28!" Then little Timmy will get his hopes crushed because of sadistic people who play Meddling Mage/Chalice of the Void. After this he will cry for about 5 minutes before learning what yu-gi-oh is...Hense why you don't have proxy tournaments.

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-30-2006, 01:45 AM
True... Solidarity will be in full force at this tournament. If I had the deck together, I would probably play Jander's 5/3 Stax list. It's soo solid.

emidln
08-30-2006, 08:49 AM
I really wish I could make this. Sounds like a haven for Sun Tower.

Nightmare
08-30-2006, 09:06 AM
I really wish I could make this. Sounds like a haven for Sun Tower.I was talking to Colby yesterday, and he was pretty bummed you guys couldn't make it out to this, too. Hopefully we can get you guys all out to one of these events soon.

Kadaj
08-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Solidarity will be out in force, with the better pilots making Top 8 (Herbig and Gearheart my money's on), but a lot of inexperienced players faltering due to lack of experience. Gro and decks like Stax and 5/3 will flourish by beating up on the lesser combo decks/players, and decks like Angel Stompy and Goblins will need a lot of luck with the pairings to do anything constructive.

Winning Deck: UGw Thresh

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Winning Deck: Mike Herbig splitting for first

FIXED.

Bryant Cook
08-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Winning Deck:Herbig with anything.

QFT.

Nightmare
08-30-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure whether you all know this or not, but back in '93, Mike Herbig got a flat tire when driving through a small suburban town, and bumbled into the nearest driveway to change it. He opened his trunk to find that he had no spare. Trying to make the most of this unsettling situation, he walked to the garage of the house he stopped at, and there he saw two men playing a game of cards. "Hi," he said, "I'm Mike. I just got a flat tire in front of your house, and I was hoping I could call a towtruck." One of the men replied, "Sure, go ahead," and he called AAA. The operator told him it would be about a 30 minute wait, which was unfortunate, since it had just begun to rain. The kind gentlemen in the garage offered to let him wait inside with them, and grateful, Mike obliged. As he sat waiting for the towtruck to arrive, he watched these men play what appeared to be a strange new game. After a few rounds, he began to get the hang of what was happenning, and commented, "Is there a way to stop the other guy from playing his cards? It seems like there should be a way. You know, like a counter to his spell." Looking back at him, Richard Garfield just smiled, and said, "You know what Mike? You're right."

quicksilver
08-30-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure whether you all know this or not, but back in '93, Mike Herbig got a flat tire when driving through a small suburban town, and bumbled into the nearest driveway to change it. He opened his trunk to find that he had no spare. Trying to make the most of this unsettling situation, he walked to the garage of the house he stopped at, and there he saw two men playing a game of cards. "Hi," he said, "I'm Mike. I just got a flat tire in front of your house, and I was hoping I could call a towtruck." One of the men replied, "Sure, go ahead," and he called AAA. The operator told him it would be about a 30 minute wait, which was unfortunate, since it had just begun to rain. The kind gentlemen in the garage offered to let him wait inside with them, and grateful, Mike obliged. As he sat waiting for the towtruck to arrive, he watched these men play what appeared to be a strange new game. After a few rounds, he began to get the hang of what was happenning, and commented, "Is there a way to stop the other guy from playing his cards? It seems like there should be a way. You know, like a counter to his spell." Looking back at him, Richard Garfield just smiled, and said, "You know what Mike? You're right."

LOL, so herbig not only invented solidarity, but counters as well huh?

herbig
08-30-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm not sure whether you all know this or not...

Thats pretty much how it happened, except that I was wearing a Sinead O'Connor t-shirt and Rich called me a pussy.

Edit: And this time around I will not be playing Solidarity. I'll be piloting an EPIC homebrew: Mono-blue High Tide Combo with Reset. Solidarity is such a stupid name anyways.

quicksilver
08-30-2006, 02:56 PM
But just to get this straight, he was driving when he was 8 or 9 right? I don't doubt herbig could do this, cause if his driving skills are anything like his magic skills, I have no doubt he had his license long before he was 8 years old.

Nightmare
08-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Thats pretty much how it happened, except that I was wearing a Sinead O'Connor t-shirt and Rich called me a pussy.Don't forget the time when you were wearing that same shirt, pulled out a Loxodon Hierarch, ripped it in half and yelled "Fight the REAL power!"

herbig
08-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Don't forget the time when you were wearing that same shirt, pulled out a Loxodon Hierarch, ripped it in half and yelled "Fight the REAL power!"
Oh the 90s were good years.

tivadar
08-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Hey quick question, don't remember seeing this mentioned previously in this thread, but I'm assuming there will be vendors there? I need to pick up a few cards before the tourney, and it would be nice to know they'll be available there. Thanks ahead of time.

Shriekmaw
08-30-2006, 04:42 PM
I was curious for anyone that is familar with the area if there are good eating establishments in the area?

Since we have a good drive down there it would be nice if there is a place close by to get something to eat throughout the day.

I'll appreciate any help, thanks.

Getsickanddie
08-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Edit: And this time around I will not be playing Solidarity. I'll be piloting an EPIC homebrew: Mono-blue High Tide Combo with Reset. Solidarity is such a stupid name anyways.

You are the man.

I was curious for anyone that is familar with the area if there are good eating establishments in the area?

More importantly, is there any good bars around where I can pick up some hookers?

quicksilver
08-30-2006, 04:57 PM
More importantly, is there any good bars around where I can pick up some hookers?

I think team unicorn will be visiting some gay bars, you could go with them if you want.

Iamfishman
08-30-2006, 05:52 PM
The torunament is being held in a store, not a hotel, so the store should have plenty of cards (read as staples) to help you out before the start of the event.

As far as local restaurants...I am not sure...I am not familiar with the area. All I know is that there is a Duchess across the street. It is fast food, but it is top quality and really fresh.

And I would just also like to point out that this thread now has more pages than the Tournament Announcement thread itself. But than again...its not about size, right?!?

Nightmare
08-30-2006, 05:59 PM
And I would just also like to point out that this thread now has more pages than the Tournament Announcement thread itself. But than again...its not about size, right?!?? The tournament announcements forum has 12 pages in it...

If we can find a bar, we're staying Sunday. I don't care if half our car doesn't drink.

URABAHN
08-30-2006, 06:07 PM
I think team unicorn will be visiting some gay bars, you could go with them if you want.

@Iamfishman

Could you find out about bars where Unicorns are welcome?

Iamfishman
08-31-2006, 01:05 AM
@Iamfishman

Could you find out about bars where Unicorns are welcome?

Well, there are:

Happy Harrys
The Guy Parade
Stickshakers
and
The Back Door

I believe all of those bars allow Unicorns.

Nightmare
08-31-2006, 07:08 AM
Ray, you are awesome. I can't wait for this weekend. I'll be sure to introduce myself to you when we're there.

quicksilver
08-31-2006, 10:20 AM
So what are everyone's predictions for the top 8. I am thinking 1 Solidarity, 1 Thresh, 1 Iggy pop, 1 goblins, + 4 random decks no one could predict.

Whit3 Ghost
08-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Deadguy
Thresh
Solidarity
5/3
4 random

TheInfamousBearAssassin
08-31-2006, 10:45 AM
2 Goblins
1 Zoo
1 Angel Stompy
1 Solidarity
1 Iggy Pop
1 Truffle Shuffle
1 Landstill

Nightmare
08-31-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm going out on a limb to say that Faerie Stompy (or its equivalent) will have a breakout tournament here. I'm expecting a lot of Solidarity and Tendrils, and a lot of Thresh. Faerie Stompy has good game against all these. Also, Jotun Grunt will be in the T8, I guarantee it.

herbig
08-31-2006, 11:10 AM
I'll go ahead and say it: Madness will top eight, along with Trix, Flame Vault, and Prosbloom. Truffle Shuffle will be hated out of the tournament.

Machinus
08-31-2006, 11:52 AM
The top8 will be

3 IGGY POP
3 TOAD CONFINEMENT
1 MONOBROWN STAX
1 ELVES

tivadar
08-31-2006, 12:36 PM
I'll go ahead and say it: Madness will top eight, along with Trix, Flame Vault, and Prosbloom. Truffle Shuffle will be hated out of the tournament.

That's a pretty bold quote considering flame vault doesn't even work anymore, even AFTER the re-ruling... But then again, legacy has been going crazy recently, wtf with the T8 at the championships, I mean, really?

Shriekmaw
08-31-2006, 12:50 PM
The Top 8:

1 Faerie Stompy
1 Goblins
1 Iggy Pop
1 Landstill
1 Solidarity
1 Survival
2 Threshold

That is my prediction, but there will probably be 1 or 2 completely random decks that we haven't thought of to make the Top 8.

blarknob
08-31-2006, 12:54 PM
I love that everyone is qualifying their top 8 prediction with things like "and some random decks nobody can predict"

Seems like Gencon really shook peoples view of the format.

Ewokslayer
08-31-2006, 01:18 PM
I love that everyone is qualifying their top 8 prediction with things like "and some random decks nobody can predict"

Not really. Legacy Top 8's always have a least one deck that is completely unexpected.

D4D2 Enchantress, DAL
DLD2 Train Wreck
D4D3 Mantle Affinity, Red Death
D4D4 Faerie Stompy
DLD3 Blue Skies, 5/3

quicksilver
08-31-2006, 01:35 PM

It's not based just off gencon. Almost every single large legacy top 8 has been about half to a quarter of complete randomness. I'd actually be shocked if there was no randomness.

bigbear102
08-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Be prepared to fork over my hotel fare if you wanna go to the bars because I'm not paying to stay another night and I'm not 21, and I'm not sitting around outside waiting for drunk people.

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-31-2006, 01:57 PM
Be prepared to fork over my hotel fare if you wanna go to the bars because I'm not paying to stay another night and I'm not 21, and I'm not sitting around outside waiting for drunk people.

You do know you can slip in a few drinks here or there.. you may not be able to bar it up... but you could try to be 21??? Or just pretend you are in Europe and order some brews and at some bars, to be honest... they won't give a shit and they will hook you up.

AnwarA101
08-31-2006, 02:02 PM

Waiting for drunk people sucks!!! Don't do it!! You'll be bored out of your mind!!

Michael Keller
08-31-2006, 04:19 PM
Waiting for drunk people sucks!!! Don't do it!! You'll be bored out of your mind!!

QFMFT.

scrumdogg
08-31-2006, 05:23 PM
QFMFT.

Ummmm...Mike, you usually ARE the drunk people....

Moby Dick
08-31-2006, 09:02 PM
I still need a ride... anyone?

scrumdogg
09-01-2006, 12:26 AM
I still need a ride... anyone?

No :) Never.....from anyone.....get a job

Jim
09-01-2006, 10:13 AM

Hey, I'm driving and also stay in that room, (if we are in fact staying in a motel, which is unclear at this point, which is the day before we leave. awesome) and I also am not sitting around waiting for drunk kids. If at all possible I want to head back sunday night, because I don't want to pay for another night, and I don't care about driving through the night - it been done better. So, don't worry.

Herbig really needs to find out soon (today) if we're staying at his aunt's for free or not.

Also, play testing last night was good stuff. I can't wait to play on sunday.

NANTUKO_SHADY
09-01-2006, 11:53 AM
2 days... can't wait!!! Hah this shall be rather interesting. In the hopes of saving some money, Team Rochester is leaving on Saturday at 3 A.M. and driving non-stop to CT. BTW, are any of you sourcers planning on staying at the Econo-Lodge like 15 minutes away from the tournament site??

Moby Dick
09-01-2006, 02:51 PM
No :) Never.....from anyone.....get a job

How would a job get me a ride?...dumb ass... It sucks that my parents don't love me enough to drive 8 hours :/

Bryant Cook
09-01-2006, 02:56 PM
How would a job get me a ride?...dumb ass... It sucks that my parents don't love me enough to drive 8 hours :/

That kind of attitude is EXACTLY why you don't have a ride, Mr. Dick.

Shriekmaw
09-01-2006, 04:45 PM
2 days... can't wait!!! Hah this shall be rather interesting. In the hopes of saving some money, Team Rochester is leaving on Saturday at 3 A.M. and driving non-stop to CT. BTW, are any of you sourcers planning on staying at the Econo-Lodge like 15 minutes away from the tournament site??

I think you mean 3 A.M. on Sunday morning instead of Saturday morning. Then you would only have to spend one night if you choose to. Right?

Mr. Nipples
09-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Me, and several other sourcers from Virginia are going to be staying in an Econolodge in Connecticut, and I'm pretty sure that it's the same one you guys are staying at.

NANTUKO_SHADY
09-01-2006, 07:01 PM
I think you mean 3 A.M. on Sunday morning instead of Saturday morning. Then you would only have to spend one night if you choose to. Right?

Yes my bad, lol Sunday at 3 A.M., because leaving Saturday at 3 A.M. would kind of defeat the purpose of leaving at such a terrible hour.. We are only staying the one night after the tournament.

@ Mr. Nipples= Sweet, EconoLodge FTW. Perhaps a Team Unicorn Party afterwards at the lodge???

Bryant Cook
09-01-2006, 09:39 PM
The WHOLE reason I'm going is to hear stories about the Unicorn shower. Screw the event.

scrumdogg
09-01-2006, 10:16 PM
That kind of attitude is EXACTLY why you don't have a ride, Mr. Dick.

QFMFT - NOBODY loves you enough to drive you 8 minutes, much less 8 hours. A job = money, money = a vehicle, a vehicle = transportation...or do I need to use smaller words? Looking forward to seeing some people from back in the day from Quse, although NNY has fallen through (damn them). Question about the store - A) how well stocked are they usually? B) do they buy bulk rares or even other cards? If anyone knows, I would appreciate the info, having never been there personally.

jeremys
09-01-2006, 11:07 PM
QFMFT - NOBODY loves you enough to drive you 8 minutes, much less 8 hours. A job = money, money = a vehicle, a vehicle = transportation...or do I need to use smaller words? Looking forward to seeing some people from back in the day from Quse, although NNY has fallen through (damn them). Question about the store - A) how well stocked are they usually? B) do they buy bulk rares or even other cards? If anyone knows, I would appreciate the info, having never been there personally.

maybe job=$=car=go, 3 words and a symbol, doesn't get much smaller than that.

NANTUKO_SHADY
09-01-2006, 11:17 PM
The WHOLE reason I'm going is to hear stories about the Unicorn shower. Screw the event.

YES!!!!! :tongue:

Moby Dick
09-01-2006, 11:40 PM
A job = money, money = a vehicle, a vehicle = transportation...or do I need to use smaller words?

What good would a car do if I can't drive...

Iamfishman
09-01-2006, 11:51 PM

Can't say for certain, however here is the link to the stores site...hope this might be helpful.

www.gamingetc.com

rodgon666
09-02-2006, 12:05 AM
tsk tsk tsk... i have some bad newss for all you east coast players...

MinoraTeam is here from San Diego... i guess we just got lucky with the timing of your tourney and all. So well make sure to give you a good run for your money. HAHAHAHA

We have to represent the West coast and all... since it seems like no one else does on this site. so we might as well take the price with us back to SD.

Getsickanddie
09-02-2006, 12:24 AM
MinoraTeam is here from San Diego... I guess we just got lucky with the timing of your tourney and all. So we'll make sure to scrub out, and donate all of our money to you.

Fixed.

Obfuscate Freely
09-02-2006, 12:40 AM

Yeah I am just lucky that I can "play" with these guys on a weekly basis and we get to play Magic too.

Mr. Nipples
09-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Yes my bad, lol Sunday at 3 A.M., because leaving Saturday at 3 A.M. would kind of defeat the purpose of leaving at such a terrible hour.. We are only staying the one night after the tournament.

@ Mr. Nipples= Sweet, EconoLodge FTW. Perhaps a Team Unicorn Party afterwards at the lodge???
So wait? You guys are coming on Sunday? Well, I only have the lodge room for the Saturday night before the tourney. Oh well. Even if a Unicorn tent is pitched it would be a Unicorn-only affair. Sorry boys.

rodgon666
09-02-2006, 12:55 AM
Getsickanddie:

well be glad to donate our money...but well see who comes out on top!

scrub!...( hahaha, just kidding man. ive looked forward to playing with people over here. Ive heard good things and bad things, so ill make my own decision when we all play. .. of course that doesnt change the fact that we are taking the prizes back home. but perhaps you can get third. HAHAHAHAHA)

Getsickanddie
09-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Getsickanddie:

well be glad to donate our money...but well see who comes out on top!

scrub!...( hahaha, just kidding man. ive looked forward to playing with people over here. Ive heard good things and bad things, so ill make my own decision when we all play. .. of course that doesnt change the fact that we are taking the prizes back home. but perhaps you can get third. HAHAHAHAHA)

I'm just fuckin' with you guys, I'm glad to hear that the West Coast is going to represent. This event sounds like it is going to be great.

NANTUKO_SHADY
09-02-2006, 01:53 AM
So wait? You guys are coming on Sunday? Well, I only have the lodge room for the Saturday night before the tourney. Oh well. Even if a Unicorn tent is pitched it would be a Unicorn-only affair. Sorry boys.

Yeah, we are peeling at an awful hour to save a night in the Motel, but we are staying over the night after the tournament so we can go out and because my Dad doesn't want to drive home after the tournament. But a team Unicorn-only affair?? cmon.. you can't even let us in for a minute??

Whit3 Ghost
09-02-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm just fuckin' with you guys, I'm glad to hear that the West Coast is going to represent. This event sounds like it is going to be great.
As far as my knowledge goes, the Glens Falls crew can't make it to this one. You won't be able to beat me senseless with Berserks for the 3rd tournament in a row...

scrumdogg
09-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Can't say for certain, however here is the link to the stores site...hope this might be helpful.

www.gamingetc.com

Thanks, I appreciate it & possibly someone else needs the ability to trade in for cards as well :) See you all (except Joe Roy) there tomorrow.

Side note: For those of you not blessed with knowing Joe Roy in person....his online persona sums it up but doesn't give you the full flavor. You may remember him from his several previous banned Source accounts but his deliberate asshattery is only magnified in real life. If there is a way Joe can cause aggravation or trouble or strife or dissension or stress - he will do so. Deliberately. With malice aforethought. Yet he wonders why he gets treated like a leper pedophile (with ebola...and apologies to leper pedophiles everywhere...).

herbig
09-02-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm about to head out for the journey to CT to pick up my prizes. Good luck to everyone going and I look forward to meeting all the Sourcers. Peace.

Jim
09-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Herbig - I'll see you in a couple of hours. Just got out of work, and now packing, then picking up Matt (BigBear), then to Adam's (Mr. Nightmare), then we're off to that mystical land known only as... Connecticut.

Good luck kiddies. Should be fun.

NANTUKO_SHADY
09-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Team Rochester will be doing a testing gauntlet tonight until 3 A.M., that is the time in which we will finally depart for CT. Sleep in the car FTW.

Moby Dick
09-02-2006, 05:32 PM
I'll give $100 to anyone who can give me a ride.

Bryant Cook
09-02-2006, 05:53 PM
I'll give $100 to anyone who can give me a ride.

Alan, C'mon, even I'd do that.

scrumdogg
09-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Alan, C'mon, even I'd do that.

Side note: For those of you not blessed with knowing Joe Roy in person....his online persona sums it up but doesn't give you the full flavor. You may remember him from his several previous banned Source accounts but his deliberate asshattery is only magnified in real life. If there is a way Joe can cause aggravation or trouble or strife or dissension or stress - he will do so. Deliberately. With malice aforethought. Yet he wonders why he gets treated like a leper pedophile (with ebola...and apologies to leper pedophiles everywhere...).

A chance to quote myself :) $100 is not nearly enough compensation for dealing with Joe Roy 2 hours each way, confined in a vehicle (which you would be legal to drive by the time you earned enough....) and then all day in a tournament setting.

Lego
09-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Unfortunately, it doesnt look like I'll be making it to this thing. I had high hopes, as tivadar was going to bring me, but we never finalized the plans, and he has yet to call me. Dude, if you read this, give me a call :smile: I won't get my MAC address added to the school list until Tuesday, so it's been tough to get online, but the cute girl down the hall lent me her laptop :wink:

NANTUKO_SHADY
09-03-2006, 03:00 AM
Team Rochester is now departing off of very little sleep... good luck to all and see you in CT.

Cozy.Dec will make T8. :tongue:

Jander78
09-03-2006, 04:00 AM
Just got done from a show.....leaving on no sleep. Should be a good combination.

Fortifitakitors
09-03-2006, 06:42 PM
J. Christ??!?!
Does anyone that dropped have any statistics, like how many people were there, who is in the top 8/16? Anybody?

Kadaj
09-03-2006, 06:49 PM
106 people showed, an incredible turn-out. Unfortanately, the only person I know got into the top 8 is Mr. Nightmare, who Nantuko-Shady conceded to in the last round before I left.

All in all it was an awesome experience for all of the 5 rounds of magic I played (4 in the main tourny, 1 in the side-event). The store kicked ass, the people were great, and Ray organized a great tourny.

Props:

Ray, for running this thing.
Jotun Grunt, for being brutal on so many decks.
Nantuko-Shady and his crew, for being really nice and cool to talk to.
The guy I scooped too before I left for agreeing to mail me 2 FoW's if he won (he said this after I had conceded, not as a bargaining agreement).
Mr. Nipples and Deeper6, for being awesome as well.

Slops:

Me, for owning Mana Drains and 3 pieces of Beta power and not any duals.
The person playing a T2 deck with duals and lightning bolts for playing a T2 deck with duals and lightning bolts.
Angel Stompy for being a bad choice in this meta.

Despite the scrubbing out, the tournament kicked ass and I'm definately coming back next time.

Pre-emptive congrats to anyone who made top 8.

Moby Dick
09-03-2006, 06:53 PM
I have no idea why, but I have this strange hope that justin and allan went 0-3 drop.

Fortifitakitors
09-03-2006, 07:18 PM
106 people showed, an incredible turn-out.

That is EXCELLENT!!!! I hope there will be another in the future.

Ebinsugewa
09-03-2006, 10:16 PM
I have no idea why, but I have this strange hope that justin and allan went 0-3 drop.

Justin went 5-2 I believe, finishing in 11th, Allan went 3-2-2 (fucking slow-ass deck) and finished like 30 something. I ran into problem matchups and went 2-3 drop to eat. I was in contention for some prize but it really wasn't worth it, I went to go chill with the general Legacy community.

Props: Lego, Cavius, Kadi, all the cool people I got to meet in person.
Ray for organizing a fantastic tournament.
Burning Tog for being sexy.
Pizza deals, two slices, chips, and a soda for $5, no price gouging in general at the store.
Legacy community for making Magic fun.
Meeting Dave Feinstein.
Beating Dave Feinstein.
Hearing Osyp's name pronounced "Osyp.. Lebe..alphabet.. Oh yeah, how many Pro Tours have you won?"

Slops: Herbig for barely making prize.
Gearhart and Chang feature match of the century that I couldn't watch because I play a slow-as-balls deck.
Slow as balls decks in general.
I.E. Truffle Shuffle, this means you.
Someone for scrying a Serum Visions card to their hand and acting completely nonchalant about it. Seriously, WTF.
Me for not capitalizing on the game loss by losing games 2 and 3 to the most ridiculous series of rips ever. Like runner-runner-runner to win. Again, WTF.
Sleeping through your alarm clock for 45 straight minutes. Need I say, WTF.

EDIT: Major WTF goes to.. drumroll please.. REANIMATOR FOR LUCKSACKING LIKE NOBODY'S BUSINESS sadface.

Peter_Rotten
09-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Details? MUST. HAVE. DETAILS.

edit: No, no, no, no. Please don't tell me two reanimator decks made it to T8. Extra frowny face. At least UG Madness went 2-2.

Ebinsugewa
09-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Details? MUST. HAVE. DETAILS.

edit: No, no, no, no. Please don't tell me two reanimator decks made it to T8. Extra frowny face. At least UG Madness went 2-2.

Yeah, I forgot to put that in my slops.
Nightmare t8'ed, that's the only name I recognized besides Feinstein. Then we left.

Fortifitakitors
09-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Stuff from the mana drain site

More
Dave Feinstein is (RG Beats)
Nick Cagly (sp) (Affinity)
Vial Goblins is in (made finals)
UGRW Threshold T8ed and lost to Goblins
Two Reanimator decks made it (unsure whether they were Orlove style or traditional), one of them was Ashok (The Method)

Zero IGG or High Tide T8ed
Zero Tendrils decks make it

A small percentage of Goblins decks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
So a Vial Goblins made the finals

1st ?
2nd Goblins
3rd UGRW Thresh?
4th Dave Feistein?
5th Reanimator
6th Mr. Nightmare?
7th ?
8th Reanimator?

Sketcky information, hmm ambiguous.

Peter_Rotten
09-03-2006, 10:38 PM
I'll say again... Reanimator? UGH! What did it do against a format running StP? A deck that runs a free Planar Void main? Counterspells? Ugh. Legacy, you make me shed a tear.

Fortifitakitors
09-03-2006, 11:38 PM
I think I know why it top 8'ed (ReAnimator)

1. Nobody was expecting it.
2. Simic Sky Swallower is nearly unstoppable when on the field,
Simic Sky Swallower 7cc
Flying, Trample
Can't Be the target of spells or abilities
6/6

I am willing to bet no one had side board tech for game two of a match to get rid of the then unstoppable Simic Sky Swallower.

Plus there are two Reanimate like cards, Reanimate and a split card from Apocalypse which is 2cc

Anusien
09-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Animate Dead can bring back Akroma.

Also, anyone remember Zombie Infestation? Beats StP a lot.

Di
09-04-2006, 12:02 AM
This tournament sucked. Getting lost on the way home sucked. Rick getting a ticket sucked. Then I got a fucking ticket a minute after I got in my car. What the fuck.

Fuck you, fuck you, fuck everyone.

FireAndIce
09-04-2006, 12:37 AM
also reanimator players happen to be inherently lucky. round 6 im playing for top 8 with ugw thresh against a reanimator deck with rituals, putrid imps, reanimation cards, duress, therapy, and big guys. i win game 1 cause im savage. game 2 i misboard and he chokes me out. game 3 i have gas but so does he. i have double daze double counterspell and a fow. i daze his imp. i daze the exhume on his imp. i let the therapy on himself resolve. i fow an exhume pitching c-spell (i played a dude). next turn i c-spell the reanimation spell he cast the next turn and make another dude. he draws reanimate and brings back bringer of the blue dawn. i proceed to draw 16 out of 17 lands and 0 STPs. he draws nothing off blue bringer except chokes and braids which do nothing. im sitting patiently and i draw nothing :( eventually blazing archon ends it. i still havent drawn a swords and im about 43 cards in. :(

Moby Dick
09-04-2006, 12:49 AM
LOL, I would have owed top 8 with my md furnaces, reanimator, lol.

lets see, thresh,gobs,reanimator < my furnaces, darkblasts,plagues,huge critters

Ebinsugewa
09-04-2006, 01:40 AM
LOL, I would have owed top 8 with my md furnaces, reanimator, lol.

lets see, thresh,gobs,reanimator < my furnaces, darkblasts,plagues,huge critters

I'm not sure how they snuck past Legacy, as far as I know, there were only two Reanimators in the whole (105?) field. If I had played one, Burning Wish for Edict ftw. People seriously undervalue non-targeted removal in this format still.