PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Building Mono-Black Reanimator

SuckerPunch
08-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Updated Thread and Deck:

Okay, I've gotten a lot more playtime with the deck and have settled on what I think will be my final build.

Reanimator 1.0

17 Swamp - For good luck.
4 Dark Ritual

4 Putrid Imp
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Blackmail

4 Reanimate
4 Exhume
4 Animate Dead
2 Life/Death

4 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
4 Spirit of the Night
4 Simic Sky Swallower
2 Bogardan Hellkite

Sideboard:
2 Life/Death
4 Dance of the Dead
2 Bogardan Hellkite
4 8/8 Untargetable
2 Duress/Sickening Dreams
1 Swamp

You really have to try out the deck's curve and at the very least goldfish with it to see why I made the specific choices I made and why I opted to run so many creatures and animate effects. It really helps to be insanely consistent when you're likely to face atleast one Swords or Counterspell per game. Yes you don't draw a lot of cards, but this build lets you topdeck like a fiend.

The list may look like a pile just going for a speedy win but it has a lot of subtle synergies and an airtight curve and clock.

I like Bogardan Hellkite (the new card from Time Spiral) a lot more than Thunder Dragon only because this is a fast build so both cards hit the same creatures, but Hellkite doesn't slow down your win against combo.

I've tried both the green, red and the blue splash and am completely convinced that neither is worthwhile.

The only time the blue splash is worthwhile is if you're going for a slower more controllish build and want to run Intuition. Otherwise, a combo deck like this wants to mulligan when it doesn't have the right pieces, it can't afford to mulligan because it's color screwed, which happens too often when you opt to splash. Also the additional vulnerability to Wasteland is not worth it if you're not going for a slow controllish build.

In general I am convinced that the slower more controllish route is NOT the way to go. As the game drags on, the amount of hate you are suseptable to that your opponent brings in is very significant. Also the lifeloss from Reanimte is only worth it if you can end games before turn 4-5 or so.

Putrid Imp is the best discard outlet you could ever hope for since it lets you play it turn one, but actually discard the card turn 2 right before you're going to reanimate it, thus avoiding a lot of graveyard hate. Cabal Therapy has great synergy with Putrid Imp and Blackmail as well. Cabal Therapy, Blackmail and Duress from the side all can greatly hurt combo.

The sideboard in specific is designed to allow you to modify the deck to deal with what ever hate this deck most commonly runs into.

The 4 Reanimate and the very low curve help me get away with just 16 lands and 4 Rituals but you can bring a Swamp in from the side and subout the Reanimates for Dance of the Dead when you can't afford the lifeloss.

Against heavy creature removal, you can bring in a full 8 Untargetable threats.

Against enchantment destruction, you can bring in life/death.

Best of all, against slower more controllish decks that pack tons of creature removal, you can side out all 12 discard slots and bring in 6 more fat creatures and 6 more reanimation effects. This effectively means that a full 3rd of your deck is fatties and a full third of it is reanimate effects. You are forced to not play anything turn one so you have to discard a creature turn 2and so forth, but you also run such a high density of creatures and reanimate effects that you can push on through and win even through 2 Swords and a counterspell or two.

kicks_422
08-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Here's the build that I'm testing...

18 Swamp
4 Dark Ritual

1 Akroma - best. fattie. ever.
1 SSS - I used to fear StP. Not much now.
1 Angel of Despair - against stuff like Confinement
1 Phantom Nishoba - life gain when its starting to hurt
1 Visara - knocks creatures off the board
1 Blazing Archon - stops aggro on its tracks, at least buying you a few turns
4 Avatar of Discord - discard engine, beater as well, nutz with Dark Ritual
4 Squee, Goblin Nabob - pitch to ZI or Avatar

4 Duress - protection
4 Cabal Therapy - protection
4 Buried Alive - search for a toolbox creature and/or Squees
4 Zombie Infestation - discard, Squee engine
4 Reanimate - lifeloss hurts, but I'll slit my wrist to cut your throat
4 Exhume - best reanimation spell IMHO

SB
4 Pithing Needle - Crypt, Wretch
4 Sickening Dreams - blazing fast aggro
1 Magma Giant - see above
1 Ascendant Evincar - see above, as well as those reliant on 1/1's (Welder)
1 Symbiotic Wurm - Putrefy and stuff
1 Plated Slagwurm - see above
1 Silent Specter - combo
1 Crosis, the Purger - see above
1 Scion of Darkness - Survival variants, mirror

3 Win conditions:
1) reanimated fattie
2) hoardes of Zombies via Squee-ZI engine
3) Avatar of Discord

Granted it still has a hard time against graveyard hate, but I've been having fun with it... And i'm very happy with the toolbox configuration... :tongue:

EDIT: That list is in the old Reanimator thread here somewhere... You might want to check that thread out for ideas...

xsockmonkeyx
08-11-2006, 10:03 PM
That list is very nice.:smile:

@suckerpunch: What kind of reanimation do you want to emphasize/use in your deck? Are you interested in the reanimation of your own big creatures, like the deck above, or the reanimation of creatures in general(exploit creatures in the opponants graveyard, recurring creatures with triggered "comes in to play abilities", etc.)?

SuckerPunch
08-12-2006, 02:49 AM
I did a through search for reanimator and turned up nothing. A link to the old thread if you have it would be very helpful kick.

That list looks incredible kick. How's it been working for you. Have you played any of the top tier decks like solidarity, thres, goblins, and deadguy. How does it generally fare?

Mainly, I notice that the deck runs 12 great discard engines (though I would consider Funeral Charm in place of Buried Alive), but only 8 Reanimate effects.

This seems like a waste considering that all the discard engines discard multiple creatures that can be reanimated.

So I would....

-4 Cabal Therapy
+4 Animate Dead

and possibly Funeral Charm in place of Buried Alive.

I would think you would want to supplement your reanimation with 4 animate dead as above (better than dance of the dead, necromancy, living death, and recurring nightmare imo) to ensure you always have one when you need it, even if one of them gets countered.

Have you given any thought to that?

xsock,
I want the reanimation to be versatile. I don't mind reanimating your opponents Mystic Enforcer but Exhume is very good too.

Slag
08-12-2006, 11:46 AM
I ran a mono black reanimator at day 2 of the D4D, and stunk up the place. The only thing I can really add is that you should probably unify your reanimation targets. Without blue's quality engine, you're going to be at the mercy of whatever fatty you happen to draw. What I mean is, include 3-4 thunder dragons in your reanimation suite. It acts as a sweeper and a kill card, and you'll probably want one as often as possible. You won't always have buried alive, and it stinks to have a sky swallower as your only creature facing down a hoard of gobs. You can still run a toolbox of your favorite fat, but don't bank on always having a buried alive or the right creature.

SuckerPunch
08-12-2006, 02:48 PM
I would love to see what build you ran (or wished you ran) just as a source of reference (number of discard outlets, reanimation effects etc).

Slag
08-12-2006, 04:23 PM
1 Engineered Explosives

Creatures
3 Phantom Nishoba
1 Plated Slagwurm
3 Putrid Imp

Enchantments
4 Zombie Infestation

Instants
4 Dark Ritual

Legendary Creatures
1 Razia, Boros Archangel
2 Squee, Goblin Nabob

Sorceries
2 Buried Alive
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Exhume
3 Infernal Tutor
2 Reanimate
4 Sickening Dreams

Basic Lands
18 Swamp

Legendary Lands
4 Tomb Of Urami

Sideboard:
4 Damping Matrix
3 Tormod's Crypt
4 Engineered Plague
4 Hymn To Tourach

The main problems I had were not having enough of a guaranteed clock against combo, and not having enough sweepers against aggro.

The idea was to have mana consistancy, being mono black, but also not to be too dependant on the graveyard. Besides typical reanimation strategy, you can also go control -> urami, or stall with ZI. In reality, that didn't work out so well, as the only quality engine I had was infernal tutor, which was only so-so. Sickening dreams was nice, but thunder dragon would have done the same job as well as actually killing people. I am of the camp that you should risk having too many discard outlets over too few.

If I were to change it, I would sneak in some thunder dragons, but I would also have a transformational - beatdown sideboard, perhaps with negator or flesh reavor or the like. This would throw off graveyard hate sideboard strategies, and increase your consistancy against combo.

kicks_422
08-12-2006, 08:44 PM
In my list, I only have 8 reanimate effects because it's not my only way of winning... Sure, they can counter my Exhume, but they'll run out of them with the discard and have none left when I drop an Avatar or a ZI with 2 Squees in the yard...

That's also the great thing about Buried Alive, as it can get Squees in the graveyard... I would neveer cut it, especially since Dark Ritual is present... I've won a lot of games by this set-up:

T1: Dark Ritual, Buried Alive for 2 Squees and Akroma
T2: ZI
T3: Duress, Exhume

or

T1: Duress
T2: Dark Ritual, Avatar of Discord (discard two fatties), Reanimate

The deck's very versatile, and I feel comfortable knowing that reanimation isn't my only way of winning... :tongue:

I would also never cut the Therapies, as Duress+Therapy can win games on their own, as well as nabbing multiple Swords, Crypt, etc... And also for Animate Dead, if you do want to squeeze that one in, that's one less way of reanimating Akroma... It will get her in play, but the enchantment would fall off of her... I'm not sure when though; next upkeep, I think...

SuckerPunch
08-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks so much again for posting your lists guys.

Slag, your build differs a ton from kick's so I would love to hear your input on that build as it's probably close to what I'll testing and then building and slowly modifying into my own deck. For example, you opted for 22 land over 18. Do you think that's neccesary, or do you get mana flooded.

Good reasoning, kick.

If no one has any other advise to add, I'll slowly start getting the cards. So please give me any other advice, suggestions, alternate discard outlets that you like more etc if you have them.

Before I do though, do you have any quick input on around how well it does versus top tier decks. Not testing results per se. Just a general performance outlook from when you played the deck, like when you usually won and stuff..

How's the mana base been, 18 lands, 4 rituals seem too low, would chrome mox help a ton? I'm probably going to run 2 Tomb of Urami over 2 Swamp like Slag, just for the hell of it. Do you think that's unneccesary.

And most importantly, how do you feel about 2 Last Rites and 2 Animate Deads in place of Cabal Therapy. Or possibly how about Last Rites in place of Zombie Infestation. Last Rites I think is incredibly strong in this deck but in your experience, is it too mana intensive.

kicks_422
08-13-2006, 12:48 AM
In my experience, 18 land + Dark Ritual has been enough, but in MWS it isn't (I hate that shuffler... LOL...) You might already be getting hurt a lot with the Reanimates, but if you feel that Tomb of Urami might give some leverage, it's worth a shot...

Thresh is a difficult match-up, as they have Mages and Swords, as well as Needles for ZI... This is where your discard comes into play (and that's why I advocate Cabal Therapy so much), as it could buy you a few turns to get what you need into play...

On Goblins, first game is okay, depends on both of your hands' speed... Game 2 with Sickening Dreams (out Duress) and SB Magma Giant and even Evincar helps out a lot, but they could still get those nutz draws...

There's a chance of racing Solidarity (Duress and Therapy!), SB with Crosis and Silent Specter helps a bit...

I would never take out Therapies or ZI... If there's something that could be cut, it might be 2 Squees, but I'd only do that for a tutor or draw...

All in all, it's a fun deck to play because of all the options you have and how each game plays different from the last (beatdown with Akroma, Avatar, or swarms of Zombies?)... That said, graveyard hate still sucks... :tongue:

SuckerPunch
08-13-2006, 02:26 AM
Thank you for the excellent feedback guys.

After a couple of test games though, I've been pretty unhappy about the current lists. Neither of them can consistently get fat out till turn 3 or 4 sometimes. This I have found far too slow against combo and goblins.

Both builds had excellent ideas though. Putrid Imp is a nice fast discard outlet, much faster than Avatar of Discard. And 4 Reanimate is also blazing fast.

I merged ideas from both of them and added some of my own tech, Unmask, Chrome Mox etc, to get a deck that consistently gets fat out turn one or turn two while also packing a ton of disruption that often doubles as a discard outlet.

I edited it into my opening post above.

Feedback would be appreciated. But I really don't want to lose the consistently speedy fat aspect of the deck if I can help it.

kicks_422
08-13-2006, 05:35 AM
The above list you posted is solid, but then again you're drifting back into the problems you raised before in reanimator... Reliance on getting a fattie out of the yard, and keeping it alive...

Testing might prove me wrong though... Post results once you get them, as I'm wary of going all-out cutthroat reanimator without a viable back-up plan... No, Threshed Putrid Imp doesn't count (though that little guy used to win me games... LOL). :tongue:

SuckerPunch
08-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Nevermind, if you notice, I added a second edit outlining the massive failure of that experiment. It only works about 40% of the games, no matter how aggressively you mulligan.

I've proxied up a number of different variants including one with Intuition, one with Enlightened Tutor, and a build akin to yours.

They are all too slow, but your build may well be viable. Regardless, I've grown somewhat disheartened with Reanimator altogether now that I know I can never hope to get a build that can consistently get fat on the table very quickly.

Slag
08-13-2006, 12:55 PM
I think you've hit the heart of the matter. Reanimator, to function properly in 1 color, needs excessive redundancy. This weakens your game as you have to be completly devoted to your one goal - reanimation. This also makes you incredibly susceptible to graveyard hate. To overcome this, you need a quality engine, which black does not have a lot of. The blue splash helps somewhat, but careful study is still dependant on the stacking of your deck, and intuition is very slow. The alternative is to forego speed in favor of another strategy. A few months ago, EvilRoopey posted a deck with a threshold-like quality engine and control suite, which tries to circumvent the consistancy problem and treat reanimation like a control finisher. You might want to look at that and see if it treats you any better.

SuckerPunch
08-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Nah, at that point I'll just stick with my Thres deck.

I was just attracted to the notion of consistently being able to turn an Akroma sideways on the second or third turn.

The mods can feel free to lock this thread, unless you guys want to discuss and further develop reanimator for your builds.

kicks_422
08-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Well,Reanimator never was a top-tier deck anyway to start with... It's a fun deck, sure... But it needs some more pieces (and Entomb getting unbanned :tongue:) before it could become a legitimate contender...

TheDarkshineKnight
08-14-2006, 12:48 AM
I don't know what it is about your deck, Kicks, but I love it.

kicks_422
08-14-2006, 02:15 AM
@TheDarkshineKnight: LOL, thanks... All I'm waiting for is a decent tutor/draw for mono-black as the last piece before taking it to a tourney...

I've tried Infernal Tutor, but Results have been negative... So I'm still waiting... C'mon Wizards, give me a good one... :tongue:

xsockmonkeyx
08-14-2006, 06:31 AM
I think you've hit the heart of the matter. Reanimator, to function properly in 1 color, needs excessive redundancy.

You can increase redundancy with Urza's, Mishra's Bauble. A 60 card deck becomes 52. The draw next upkeep cantrips might slow you down too much to be effective though.

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Yay! More people interested in Reanimator! Haha I love this deck, way way long ago I played Mono-black Reanimator and I had a blast with it. I never really did insanely good with it, but I did ok and the deck was hella fun to play. However, with the current meta and such, I really don't think that Reanimator, especially Mono-black, can compete in today's modern meta. Reason being is because of all of the graveyard hate for Threshold that decks are packing, they just so happen to hose Reanimator as well. It's almost like a 2 for 1 when they pack Tormod's Crypt and such, thinking they are going to play against Thresh all day. IF you are to play Reanimator and wish to play competitively, play the Mean Deck Reanimator build. The list is on TMD I believe, it splashes blue and red for Intuition (ThE NuTz), and Burning Wish. Both of these cards are retarded, and make alot of your not so good matchups alot better. Overall, I like how you guys are working on Reanimator and best of luck to you.:cool:

TheDarkshineKnight
08-14-2006, 02:16 PM
@TheDarkshineKnight: LOL, thanks... All I'm waiting for is a decent tutor/draw for mono-black as the last piece before taking it to a tourney...

I've tried Infernal Tutor, but Results have been negative... So I'm still waiting... C'mon Wizards, give me a good one... :tongue:

I was wondering, have you thought about adding maybe Sundering Titan to the board to maindeck. He's big, and his effect is awesome.

kicks_422
08-14-2006, 08:54 PM
I tried him out before, and yes the effect is great, but IMHO overkill... You want fatties that kill your opponent, and since it's got no evasion, that's a minus for him... But in today's meta, I might try him out to board against Thresh... :tongue:

Skogen
08-16-2006, 12:42 AM
Here is just an idea. I guess it isn't a "true" mono-black build, but I think it would be a pretty cool idea anyways.

// Lands
16 Swamp
// Creatures
2 Juggernaut (Might just be a place holder for better fat)
2 Sundering Titan
2 Triskelion
4 Hypnotic Specter
// Enchantments
2 Dance of the Dead
2 Animate Dead
// Spells
4 Cabal Ritual
4 Dark Ritual
4 Skeletal Scrying
3 Buried Alive
4 Duress
4 Exhume
4 Hymn to Tourach
3 Reanimate

Cabal ritual will probably be the first thing to go, since probably/does have poor synergy with Skeletal scrying. I figured I'd give skeletal scrying a try since we would have a lot of burnt spells sitting in the yard (dark rit, all of the reanimation spells etc). I love the idea of basically paying two (Exhume) to throw down a titan onto the table. I liked the idea of trike in the MD to ping of stupid creatures. Like I said, just an idea I came up with like 2 hours ago.

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Eww.. please cut Cabal Ritual. It seems rather awful in this deck. Also, in place of Juggernaught try running Akroma Angel of Wrath, as she is pretty nuts. Also, the main reason why Reanimator has a decent matchup with Goblins and other fast aggro is because of Zombie Infestation. That card is a definite 4 of in this deck! Good luck!

Skogen
08-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Duly noted on the fat change up. For some reason before I didn't realize that using DotD on Akroma was awesome. Stupid me. I put 2 of Zombie Infestations MD, since I figured I am not going to run up against goblins all of the time, and 2 SB for when I do run up against goblins.

Even though this deck may not be techincally 'viable' in the current format, it is still very fun to play. Nothing beats an opening hand of Dark Rit, Swamp, Swamp, Buried Alive, Dance of the Dead, Animate Dead, and Duress.

// Lands
16 Swamp
// Creatures
3 Triskelion
2 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
4 Hypnotic Specter
2 Spirit of the Night
// Enchantments
2 Dance of the Dead
2 Animate Dead
2 Zombie Infestation
// Spells
4 Dark Ritual
4 Skeletal Scrying
4 Buried Alive
4 Duress
4 Exhume
4 Hymn to Tourach
3 Reanimate

TheDarkshineKnight
08-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Eh, uh, Skeletal Scrying? WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU RUN THAT IN REANIMATOR?!? Honestly, the point of the deck is to dump stuff into the discard pile, and use reanimation spells to bring said stuff on to the field. Removing cards from the game is somewhat, oh, against your strategy.

Skogen
08-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Eh, uh, Skeletal Scrying? WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU RUN THAT IN REANIMATOR?!? Honestly, the point of the deck is to dump stuff into the discard pile, and use reanimation spells to bring said stuff on to the field. Removing cards from the game is somewhat, oh, against your strategy.

I figured I'd give skeletal scrying a try since we would have a lot of burnt spells sitting in the yard (dark rit, all of the reanimation spells etc).

What exactly am I going to do with all the reanimation spells when they are sitting in the yard? Regrowth them? Christ. You must think that I would be stupid enough to remove the creatures from the game.

On the other hand you may be able to draw the conclussion that I wouldn't want the draw because I would draw into the creatures instead of using Buried Alived to make them go to the yard and play them for much cheaper. But that wasn't your argument.

Honestly, please think before you post.

DeathwingZERO
08-17-2006, 01:10 AM

That's about as smart as saying Dragon shouldn't use 4 Squees, because unless you have Bazaar or Compulsion on the board, he's taking up valuable space in your hand.

The whole point is to cycle through the deck as quickly as possible, and Scrying serves as a card to throw away things like used Dark Rit, Duress, Reanimate, Buried Alive.....etc, etc, etc to gain a few more cards for a little life and mana invested. Consider it a "late game" tactic (by late I mean turns 4 on) to get a little more steam going. Everything you do in order to get said creatures in the graveyard requires spells that are just graveyard fodder once cast, so your basically just making them say "1: Pay 1 life, draw a card". Reanimator rarely cares about it's life total, as long as reanimating a game winner (such as Akroma) won't cost them the game.

It's also a good boost against control and aggro alike late game, giving you the chance to get into that much needed reanimation spell, or forcing a counterspell on your opponent so you can cast the one already in your hand next turn, tapping them out on theirs in the process.

In all honesty, I haven't seen a good reanimator deck that didn't play at least 2 of these cards in it, just for the much needed steam if your first couple turns don't get enough beats on the board.

Edit: Also, in case nobody noticed, Zombie Infestation maindeck means you don't worry about drawing into your threats, they instead turn into a 2/2 creature for you. How nifty.....

NANTUKO_SHADY
08-17-2006, 02:17 AM
I will say this over and over, ZOMBIE INFESTATION is retarded in this deck. It's one of the reasons this deck is actually decent. It seems pretty good against slowing up Goblins and other random aggro. and like Deathwing said, Zombie Infestation allows you to create threats and blockers when you feel like it, not hope you draw into your threats.

Mirrislegend
08-17-2006, 02:54 AM
I will say this over and over, ZOMBIE INFESTATION is retarded in this deck
QFT

More specifically, ZI is abso-fucking-lutely BAHROKEN in any deck that runs black and likes putting stuff into the graveyard. It is a must run in all reanimator, not just Mono Black

The Rack
08-17-2006, 02:59 AM
Why would just go for beats? I would want situational creatures to hammer the opponent no matter what the field looked like. Grab a Braids, Titan, Ascendant Evincar and that takes care of most decks.

DeathwingZERO
08-17-2006, 03:34 AM
I agree Sundering Titan is SAVAGE in this deck. At the cost of your swamp, you've easily 2-1 nearly any deck in the format, even the decks playing 2 colors with basics. He wouldn't even need to swing, the favor gained from him coming into play would be rediculous enough. I think we've seen this proven correct time and time again with Survival Welder decks using him. Also, a Trike wouldn't be a bad idea. Nice trick to pick off weenies then chump block.

SuckerPunch
08-27-2006, 01:19 AM
kicks, Slag, and Skogan,

I'm interested to hear if you guys have had a lot more playtime with your decklists yet, enough to advocate any updates to your original decklists.

Also of interest, here's Orloves Reanimator deck, it's not monoblack, and I'm not convinced it's better than the builds some of you guys posted, but it's still inspires some cool ideas...

Orlove's Quote (frome 7 months ago):

Since people were curious, I decided to start a thread on the deck now, even though I'm also planning on writing a report.

First of all, here's the list I actually played:

4 Zombie Infestation
4 Squee, Goblin Nabob
3 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Phantom Nishoba
4 Exhume
3 Reanimate
4 Careful study
4 Burning Wish
3 Intuition
4 Duress
4 Cabal Therapy
1 Last Rites

4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Polluted Delta
2 Swamp
1 Island
1 Mountain
2 Underground Sea
1 Badlands
4 Wasteland
2 Mox Diamond

Sideboard
3 Last Rites
1 Reanimate
1 Buried Alive
1 Sickening Dreams
1 Pyroclasm
1 Echoing Ruin
3 Petradon
3 Disrupt
1 Plated Slagwurm

I went 4-1-1, drawing in the last round to make T8.

The key card in the list is definitely Zombie Infestation. It will almost singlehandedly win many games for this deck, especially in otherwise poor matchups. It is one of the major reasons why the deck has such a spectacular game against Goblins.

The next crucial element of the deck is definitely the discard spells. 4 Duress and 4 Therapy is a huge wrecking ball that can just tear people's hands apart (especially if they're sandbagging two swords). Intuition can get triple Therapy against Tide and the like, or you can throw a random Therapy in the mix if you're going for say, your last two Squees. Infestation and hardcast Squee make flashing back Therapy easy, and in some matchups you can just sac Akroma and then Exhume her again the next turn, especially if you have several spare animation effects and have Intuitioned for Therapies. Finally, Last Rites is a huge beating against almost every deck, and siding in two for the two Mox Diamonds against control strategies is just such a beating.

The final cornerstone of the deck is Burning Wish. This card just does so much. It gets Buried Alive to either tutor up fatties to animate or Squees to feed Infestation. It gets Reanimate to animate something on the cheap. It gets Sickening Dreams or Last Rites as discard outlets. Last Rites is also huge disruption, while Sickening Dreams provides a Pyroclasm that you can cast for 2BR in one turn, a way to kill larger creatures, and can act as a finisher, especially against decks like MWC or Tide. Finally, Pyroclasm and Echoing Ruin provide general utility.

Careful Study is just ridiculously good, especially if you have at least one Squee in your opening hand.

Akroma is simply the best reanimation target. Haste is crucial, as it speeds up the clock and lets her basically ignore sorcery speed removal, as you can just play another animation effect and attack again. Vigilance is very good against pretty much anything with creatures, especially when combined with First Strike. Flying, Trample, and First Strike also combine to make her essentially impossible to block effectively. Finally, Protection from Red is strong against Goblins, and Protection from Black is at least theoretically useful. If I'd been able to borrow four, I would have had four maindeck.

Finally, the manabase is just so good. Fetches and basics give me insane stability, and allied colors means I have no trouble getting the mana I need to cast my spells. Wastelands weren't spectacular, because everyone seems to be ready for them, but they're not bad. They compliment the Petradon plan very well, but I'd test Factories there, since that might be better overall.

The only real SB cards are the Petradons and Disrupts, which come in for control and combo. Petradon owns manabases, especially basic Islands. Disrupt buys time against combo, since you just hit whatever you can (Brainstorm and Impulse are very good targets). You really just want to buy enough time for your Petradons to finish the job. Leave one Akroma in against combo, though, because she is quick with the beats.

Against control, Disrupt is also really good, stopping Swords, Disenchant, Fact or Fiction, Vengeance, Force of Will, and other annoyances. They may be worse now that the list is public, but if your opponent slows down all their spells to play around them, they've done their job and you can just cycle them off of whatever.

Plated Slagwurm was just filler, and should have been something like Eater of the Dead for Survival hate. I basically didn't prepare for RG survival, and lost to it in the top 8, due to keeping an inappropriate hand game 1 (no discard for Survival) and to concocting a poor SB plan (exhume is basically fine against them, but I sided too many out).

Overall, I found the deck very solid, and often capable of doing broken things that just outclassed my opponent's deck.

kicks_422
08-27-2006, 03:26 AM
To tell you honestly, it was Orlove's list that inspired me to make a reanimator deck of my own... I loved how he combined the Wild Zombies engine with the reanimator strategy, and when lots of good fatties in RAV block came out (Angel of Despair, Razia, Blazing Archon), I decided to give it a try...

Actually, the only change I've made so far is adding a Garza Zol to the MD... It's been nice for me so far, providing additional card draw, though the improvement she brings to the deck overall has been pretty minor, if any at all...:tongue:

SuckerPunch
08-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Your build is awesome kicks.

The only comment I have is that when I ran the deck, I've felt like I wanted just a smidgeon less discard and a smidgeon more reanimation effects as the first one gets countered or the first creature destroyed so often.

Thus I would make the following change to your list...
-1 Buried Alive
+1 Animate Dead.

As good as Buried Alive is, it's mana intensive, and also sucks in multiples. I thinks its perfect as a 3 of.

Tacosnape
08-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Animate/Dance suboptimal in any build running 4x Akroma, since Animate/Dance just falls off of Akroma? I can maybe see Animate, but Dance seems awful.

kicks_422
08-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Yes, it falls off... No way should you be running it in a build with 4 Akroma... But in a toolbox version, being able to get any creature except one mght be good enough (though the one you can't get is arguably your best one)...

Is lifeloss a huge deal for you? If not, I'd suggest you use Life/Death first... So you can still get Akroma... :tongue:

TsumiBand
08-28-2006, 12:03 AM
In regard to Animate Dead and Akroma, actually you *can* reanimate Akroma with it successfully.
I don't have the judge explanation as a link, unfortunately, but it works like this:
Animate Dead comes into play and becomes an Aura with Enchant Creature.
Akroma is targetted since ProBlack doesn't apply while she's in the yard.
Akroma comes into play.
Animate Dead and friends attempt to enchant her but since pro-black creatures can't be enchanted by black enchantments, it stays in play as a simple Enchantment.
Since Akroma was never actually enchanted by Animate Dead and the wording says "When -this- leaves play, destroy *enchanted* creature", she remains in play.

Now, whether or not Animate Dead is actually an optimal reanimation spell depends on your deck. But insofar as the 4x Akroma, 4x Animate Dead plan goes, it's basically a one-sided Exhume.

kicks_422
08-28-2006, 08:34 PM
I saw the thread about this rules question... Apparently the argument is still not settled... If it does work that way, then I'm really going to be running Animate Dead... I'll be posting a new list once the rules have been clarified... :tongue:

TsumiBand
08-29-2006, 01:49 AM
I saw the thread about this rules question... Apparently the argument is still not settled... If it does work that way, then I'm really going to be running Animate Dead... I'll be posting a new list once the rules have been clarified... :tongue:

Not settled? It's a clear case of the "Can't Rule". Pro-black creatures can't be damaged, enchanted, blocked or targeted by black things. Animate Dead can target it while it's in the yard but can't enchant it. gatherer.wizards.com stipulates that if Animate Dead's ability 'fizzles' it just stays in play as an Enchantment. Even if the Animate Dead were destroyed, it never enchanted Akroma so it can't "destroy enchanted creature".

Tacosnape
08-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Okay, so now that it's been settled in the other rules thread that Animate Dead and Dance of the Dead DO get Akroma back (while staying in play as a simple enchantment) we can get to work.

I propose that Spirit of the Night now become the next #2 beatstick of the deck, since Animate/Dance works on him much the same way as it does Akroma. That gives us a large array of 6-power haste flying first-striking beatsticks that won't be easy to get rid of.

I also propose that based on this, Exhume and Reanimate are vastly inferior to Animate / Dance. No more life loss, no more opponents getting a creature back too.

Also, what do people think of possibly loading the deck with Chrome Mox and trying Chalice of the Void in this deck, since Chalice at 1 wouldn't stop anything that wasn't Duress, Ritual, or Therapy?

quicksilver
08-30-2006, 03:08 PM
(while staying in play as a simple enchantment)

Technically the Animate dead does not stay in play, it is put into the graveyard, it just doesn't take akroma with it.

Tacosnape
08-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Technically the Animate dead does not stay in play, it is put into the graveyard, it just doesn't take akroma with it.

Not according to Chris Richter.:P

The Animate Dead's attach ability fails, which means the part about it becoming an Aura fails also. It stays as the type it is, and it stays where it is.

quicksilver
08-30-2006, 04:23 PM
which means the part about it becoming an Aura fails also
What is your reasoning bhind that statement? What would possibly make that fail along with it?

When Animate Dead comes into play, if it's in play, it becomes an Aura with enchant creature. Put target creature card from a graveyard into play under your control and attach Animate Dead to it.
Enchanted creature gets -1/-0.
When Animate Dead leaves play, destroy enchanted creature. It can't be regenerated.

Animate dead turns into an aura. It then fails to attach itself to akroma. Then as a state-based effect it is put into the graveyard because that is what happens to auras when they are not attached to anything. I'm sure Chris was not saying that it happened this way, since it was a faily irelevant point and he was agreeing that akroma stayed in play. There is nothing that says that once it turns into an aura, that if it can't attach it goes back to being a non-aura. There is also nothing in the rules that says an enchantment cannot become an aura if that aura cannot attach to anything.

Tacosnape
08-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Animate dead turns into an aura. It then fails to attach itself to akroma. Then as a state-based effect it is put into the graveyard because that is what happens to auras when they are not attached to anything. I'm sure Chris was not saying that it happened this way, since it was a faily irelevant point and he was agreeing that akroma stayed in play. There is nothing that says that once it turns into an aura, that if it can't attach it goes back to being a non-aura. There is also nothing in the rules that says an enchantment cannot become an aura if that aura cannot attach to anything.

That's...a valid point. I think I'll email him back and ask.

Animate Dead makes my head explode. Gah.

EDIT: Either way, at least we know that Akroma stays.

EDIT 2, THE SEQUEL: You're completely right. My mistake. Chris just emailed me back. That makes a lot more sense. Here's the email clip.

>>Thanks for all your help! One more quick question.
>>Does Animate Dead stay in play as an enchantment, or
>>does it go to the graveyard?

It becomes an aura enchantment that is not attached to anything, so it will go to the graveyard.

SuckerPunch
08-30-2006, 06:08 PM
That's really interesting. I do think that losing the toolbox utility (not being able to grab simic sky swallower vs. Swords rich decks and such, not being able to grab Angel of Despair/Sundering Titan against a deck that's mana screwed or a maindeck Worship) would be quite bad however.

Thus I propose that Animate Dead be run over Exhume, since it works with other creatures as well, but that Dance of the Dead be left behind.

What I propose now is a mental exercise regarding the most broken manner in which to abuse Entomb.

Wizards banned Entomb, with just about the worst explanation "it's one of the best tutors in the game" imaginable. That's certainly not true. It's only truly broken tutor target is Worldgorger Dragon, and even that I question would be powerful as a deck. Even so, they could easily ban Dragon in place of Entomb and open the format to a number of diverse fun but underpowered archeatypes, from Reanimator decks, to decks that abuse that new Knight, to a control deck that tutors for Dredge and Flashback cards along with Wonder. They left far more powerful tutors from Burning Wish to Mystical Tutor and Enlightened Tutor untouched, thank god, as these tutors are NOT broken, just powerful in certain decks. The same is the case for Entomb (you could argue that they should ban Dragon instead but even that is probably unnecesary).

So as a mental exercise, let's build the most powerful Reanimator deck imaginable if the DCI were to unban Entomb, as a way to show DCI that Entomb in Reanimator wouldn't be broken.

Here's what I have come up with so far...

//Mana
20 Swamp
4 Dark Ritual

//Disruption
4 Duress
4 Mutilate

//Bury
4 Entomb
4 Buried Alive
1 Akroma, Angel
1 Spirit of the Night
1 Angel of Despair
1 Simic Sky Swallower

//Reanimate
4 Reanimate
4 Exhume
4 Animate Dead

//Moddable
4 Night's Whisper

If you unban Entomb, running stuff like Intuition and Careful Study becomes unneeded and monoblack becomes very strong.

The above list has 12 ways to get a creature into the yard, one of which is not playing anything first turn so that you will have to discard the creature second turn.

The list has 12 Reanimate effects so you will always see one in your opening hand and can hope to draw into more even if your first one is countered.

It has the most undercosted card drawer in the format, thought it would be very easy to run 8 Fetchlands, 4 Duals, and run Brainstorm/Careful Study instead.

Is the above list (including the blue mod) the very most broken Reanimator build possible with unbanned Entomb?

I challenge you guys to build a stronger one.

Tacosnape
08-30-2006, 06:26 PM
I challenge you guys to build a stronger one.

That looks fairly optimal to me. You lose the complexities of the Squee/ZI engine, but at the same time you get the ability to only run a grand total of four creatures in the deck, which reduces your dead slots and makes the deck less cute and more effective. Mutilate and Night's Whisper seem flexible, though I can't think offhand of what I'd want in their place.

Reanimator isn't particularly the deck that makes Entomb scare me, though. Entomb scares me more when its used to fetch dredge cards, like Life From The Loam or Golgari Grave-Troll. It also fetches things like Deep Analysis, Roar of the Wurm, etc, and then all the reanimator targets in this deck. Also, unlike the Mystical/Enlightened/Worldly series, you get the card you want right away rather than having to wait a turn to draw it.

Entomb scares me more for the decks we haven't thought of yet than the ones we have.

TsumiBand
08-30-2006, 08:42 PM
My apologies for insinuating Animate Dead stayed in play; I misread the Gatherer rules summary.
It does, however, point out the weakness that Animate Dead's CIP can be countered (Stifle, eg), leaving you with a worthless Enchantment. It can also be Disenchanted in response, as its ability says "When -this- CIP, if it's in play, it becomes...." So the Animate Dead plan is not necessarily king shit, as decks like Angel Stompy maindeck Disenchant and could randomly game 1 you. But it is the most one-sided with the least potential for personal drawback so it begs research.
As an aside, Zombie Infestation is, in fact, incredible in a deck like this. You don't have to run Squee to make it good; in concert with cards like Putrid Imp you can speed the kill by a turn assuming ZI goes unchallenged. It also gives you the ability to, like, do stuff when you don't draw half of your reanimation game.

Lego
08-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Even so, they could easily ban Dragon in place of Entomb

For what it's worth, Worldgorger Dragon is banned...

Clark Kant
09-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Hey there! Im Rodrigo Gonzalez from San Diego, and i was the other person in the top 8 with B/G reanimator.

Well here is the decklist that i used and have been using for several months, Ill make some comments about some of the card choices i expect people will ask about afterwards.

4 Putrid Imp
4 Buried Alive
3 Animate Dead
4 Reanimate
2 Recurring Nightmare
4 Exhume
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Buried Alive
4 Dark Ritual
2 Sickening Dreams
2 Pernicious Deed

2 Windswept heath
3 OverGrown Tomb
4 Polluted Delta
4 Bayou
5 Swamp

1 Ascendant Evincar
1 Thunder Dragon
1 Braids Cabal minion
1 Phanthom Nishoba
1 Symic Sky Swallower
1 Sundering Titan
1 Symbiotic Wurm
1 Akroma Angel of wrath
1 Angel of Despair
1 Bringer of the Blue Dawn

/sb
4 Defense Grid
3 Choke
4 Naturalize
2 Sickening Dreams
2 Pernicious Deed

Ok ill separate the cards into the basic elements of the archtype which are discard ( getting creatures into the grave) and reanimation, also utilities such as disruption and such.

Discard:

Imp : Cheap effective discard that works as a lackey blocker and beats down when necesary.

Cabal Therapy: Great when making opponent discard and really good for you as an outlet as well. makes the imps usefull after the creatures are already in the yard.

Sickening Dreams: kills weanie hordes as well as undisruptable discard, since the discard is in adition to the casting cost. Works well as last moment burn spell.

Buried alive: Best tutor after entomb for these decks ( PLEASE UNBAN IT WIZARDS!!!)

Reanimation:

Reanimate: duh. cheap and effective, also good at taking opposing critters.

Exhume: reanimation with a minor drawback.

Animate dead: It only got better after the rescent Pro black trick. Awesome!

Recurring nightmare: Nothing better than beaing able to switch out your fattie for a better one later in the game.

Creatures:

Akroma : DUH...i hear shes good.

Sundering Titan: One sided armagendon against any deck with duels. and hes huuuuuge!

Symic Sky Swallower: Flying Mongoose on crack. Wins games almost as fast ... and sometimes faster than Akroma.

Blazing Archon: great against Madness, Goblins and the mirror. and also any random aggro.

Phanthom Nishoba: YAY! Spirit link and near undestructability! goblins and burn aggro hate this card.

Thunder Dragon: Three damage to all non flyers and it stays in play. If it wasnt for Echo crater hellion would be here.

Angel of Despair: Kills any other anoying thing thats too expensive to deed, or just as a tempo boost.

Symbiotic Wurm: B I G fatty ! Allows beats post flash back therapy, and it works well with Braids.

Braids: Tempo advantage if out early and lock later on with the wurm. Great against Solidarity and random combo like belcher and iggy pop.

Bringer of the Blue Dawn : Perhaps the most controversial card in the deck, But if you stop to think about it, if your drawing 3 cards a turn you shouldnt be losing. ( just for concideration. I dont think ive lost a match where they left the bringer alive because they thought it wasnt powefull ...HA! )

The side board and two deeds main are the reason i splashed green in this deck. Humilty kills you if you dont have a deed or a naturalize.

Choke destroys grow.

Defense Grid annoys solidarity and landstill like hell.

And the extra Sickening Dreams and Deeds come in against Goblins and Grow respectively.

Match ups:

The deck itself has a good match against most of the field. But it shines its best in random metagames.

as ie mentioned before, i have been playing this for several months. close to 8 months or so with this build. so extensive testing against several decks has been done.

Goblins:
70-30 if mono red and green red, 60- 40 if they have white for swords.

Grow:
with white..50-50 ( it really depends on who gets the best hand, swords play a huge part since they can put me in a clock, and as long as i dont nuke their lands with a titan they have a good even chance)

With just red ...70-30 ( no swords mean i win by both beats and if i get a Blazing Archon to stall enough to nuke the board with both titan and others).

Solidarity:
45-55 If i can get any disruption early enough and a couple therapies ( one flashed back) with a fatty for a clock, its all good. still not an easy match. After sideboard it gets considerably better. Choke helps, Grid stalls enough. But sometimes they pull it out of their ass.

Homebrew/ Pikula:
your hardest match would have to be Homebrew. Reanimator is a combo deck, so having every answer to it hurts alot ( swords... duress... hymm...edict...and wretch main hurt quite a bit but its still in range of being won. more like a 35-65.)

If there are any questions please ask.

If you want to check the consistency of the deck, check for the last 6 months in the top 8 in san diego, I believe we stoped posting results on the source a while back. but youll see that whenever i played reanimator ( this build ) i top 8'd, every sinlge time, and the tournaments old for about 30 - 40 people. not tiny 8-15 ish.

this deck arhctype is awesome to play and competitive as hell. but the hate still comes from everyone thats a skeptic about the consistency of its wins.

Based on that tourney top 8ing build, I came up with this list...

I wanted to keep it monoblack for budget reasons but I borrowed enormously from his build to create the below deck... what do you guys think?

4 Putrid Imp
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Buried Alive

4 Reanimate
4 Exhume
4 Animate Dead

4 Dark Ritual
2 Sickening Dreams
2 Plunge into Darkness

4 Petradon - Works With Wastelands
1 Akroma, Angel - Win Fast
1 Spirit of the Night - Win Fast
1 Simic Sky Swallower - Antiremoval
1 Angel of Despair - Anticontrol
1 Phantom Nishoba - Antiaggro
1 Silent Specter - Anticombo

4 Wasteland
16 Swamp

Team-Hero
09-11-2006, 07:20 AM
I am a little intimidated by the lists that I have seen here... but here is my build:

4 watery grave
4 underground sea
4 polluted delta
1 bloodstained mire
1 flooded strand
2 islands
4 swamp

4 peutrid imp
4 dark ritual
4 daze
4 force of will
3 exhume
4 reanimate
3 animate dead
2 sickening dreams
3 Tourbulant dreams

4 bringer of the blue dawn
3 mindleech mass
2 silent specter

Any comments that would help my build?

kicks_422
09-11-2006, 08:55 AM
You need a better creature base than that, IMHO... You need the Akromas and Simic Sky Swallowers and whatnot to make a feared reanimator deck...

wmagzoo7
09-12-2006, 10:40 PM
I think that unbanning entomb would be a major downside for the dci considering it would power up the following decks
salvagers, confinement, reanimator, ichorid, pebbles and probably more decks that could abuse the graveyard along with perhaps a crucible/ glacial chasm deck.
As for the optimal reanimator decklist I am not sure at all because I have not really studied the lists and figured what would work but I think everyone has come to a turning point of whether or not you go aggro and run the whole 6/x flying tranmpling hasty creatures or run utility that helps to close the game after a bunch more turns.

throst54
09-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Has anyone considered using Pox as a discard outlet?

SuckerPunch
09-13-2006, 01:34 AM
Okay, I've gotten a lot more playtime with the deck and have settled on what I think will be my final build.

Reanimator 1.0

16 Swamp
4 Dark Ritual

4 Putrid Imp
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Blackmail

4 Reanimate
4 Exhume
4 Animate Dead
2 Dance of the Dead

4 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
4 Spirit of the Night
4 Bogardan Hellkite
2 Simic Sky Swallower

Sideboard:
4 Life/Death
4 8/8 Untargetable
2 Simic Sky Swallower
2 Dance of the Dead
2 Duress/Sickening Dreams
1 Swamp

The list may look like a pile just going for a speedy win but it has a lot of subtle synergies and potential strategies.

Putrid Imp is the best discard outlet you could ever hope for since it lets you play it turn one, but actually discard the card turn 2 right before you're going to reanimate it, thus avoiding a lot of graveyard hate. Cabal Therapy has great synergy with Putrid Imp and Blackmail as well. Cabal Therapy, Putrid Imp and Duress from the side all can greatly hurt combo.

The 4 Reanimate and the very low curve help me get away with just 16 lands and 4 Rituals but you can bring a Swamp in from the side when you're going for a slower strategy.

Against heavy creature removal and/or few blockers, you can bring in a full 8 Untargetable threats.

Against enchantment destruction, you can bring in life/death.

Best of all, against slower more controllish decks that pack tons of creature removal, you can side out all 12 discard slots and bring in 6 more fat creatures and 6 more reanimation effects. This effectively means that a full 3rd of your deck is fatties and a full third of it is reanimate effects. You are forced to not play anything turn one so you have to discard a creature turn 2and so forth, but you also run such a high density of creatures and reanimate effects that you can push on through and win even through 2 Swords and a counterspell or two.

kicks_422
09-13-2006, 02:39 AM
14 fatties?... That's a lot of creatures... Maybe cut it down to 10-12?... I only run 6-8 in my build, but I have the Avatars and Squee-ZI engine, so I think 10-12 is just about right...

Blackmail is... Well... Interesting... Have you tried out Last Rites in that spot?...

SuckerPunch
09-13-2006, 03:03 AM
Last Rites and Buried Alive were both tried. Both were far too slow.

Without Buried Alive, you acutally have to draw into the creatures you're going to discard. The only way to ensure that you do is to run 14.

It's not all bad though. Even if a creature gets Sworded, you usually have back up this way.

kicks_422
09-13-2006, 07:16 AM
But that's the moot point of your strategy... You don't have card draw...

If you don't have a creature, a reanimate spell, and a discard outlet in your opening 7, you're going to have to rely on your topdeck... What if you're missing one component? Two?...

You might want to take a look at Overeager Apprentice's flavor text for advice... :tongue:

SuckerPunch
09-13-2006, 11:36 AM
In using the deck, roughly 60% of hands let you reanimate a creature on the second turn, and that's without mulliganing. Taking mulliganing and top decks into account, it's rather consistent and only fizzles about a fifth of the time.

And when hate is heavy, you can go the 30 Reanimate, 30 Beatstick direction post sideboard, and just draw go until you have to discard stuff.

I like Bogardan Hellkite (the new card from Time Spiral) a lot more than Thunder Dragon only because this is a fast build so both cards hit the same creatures, but Hellkite doesn't slow down your win against combo.

If I was using life/death and reanimate over animate dead, I would certainly opt for Rorix Bladewing over Spirit of the Night. The 3 life you don't lose is very significant.

Also, I've tried both the green, red and the blue splash and am completely convinced that neither is worthwhile.

The only time the blue splash is worthwhile is if you're going for a slower more controllish build and want to run Intuition. Otherwise, a combo deck like this wants to mulligan when it doesn't have the right pieces, it can't afford to mulligan because it's color screwed, which happens too often when you opt to splash. Also the additional vulnerability to Wasteland is not worth it if you're not going for a slow controllish build.

In general I am convinced that the slower more controllish route is NOT the way to go. As the game drags on, the amount of hate you are suseptable to that your opponent brings in is very significant. Also the lifeloss from Reanimte is only worth it if you can end games before turn 4-5 or so.

Clark Kant
09-28-2006, 08:13 PM
This could use a bump.

I would interested to see what the most current lists look like.

r_x_
10-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Have you guys considered Arcanis, the Omnipotent as a solution against Control? I remember playing it on old extended and he was almost autowin. +3 cards a turn is too good to be passed, IMHO.

I'm planning to build a list like this, so far I have it proxied:

18 Swamp
4 Dark Ritual

4 Putrid Imp
4 Cabal Therapy
3 Sickeninig Dreams
3 Buried Alive

4 Reanimate
4 Exhume
4 Animate Dead
2 Dance of the Dead

2 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
2 Arcanis the Omnipotent
1 Thunder Dragon
1 Braids Cabal minion
1 Phanthom Nishoba
1 Symic Sky Swallower
1 Sundering Titan
1 Symbiotic Wurm

I know the list isn't perfect, but it has decent game against Goblins (80/20, 20 games) and Landstill (70/30, 22 games), haven't tested against other decks yet.

Dquick
06-22-2009, 09:00 PM
hey guys, diggin this up. here's my list, could i get some opinions? btw this is a casual deck, which should be obvious in my list, currently i'm in the "ironing out" stage i'd like to say, where it's more, what cards get 4copy's, which get 3, and which get cut altogether.

The guts:

4 entomb
3 Buried alive (most builds run four, i run 3 because it's the only 3 cc spell)
4 Dark Rit
4 Exhume
4 Reanimate
3 Animate dead(thinkin of going to 4 and cutting a reanimate)
4 Cabal Therapy
3 Duress(4 is too many, only synergizes with therapy)
3 Demonic tutor (interested to hear people's opinion on this card)

4 Putrid Imp(should make every list, swiss army knife of R.A.)

The Glory:

Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Arcanis the Omnipotent(not so omnipotent, maybe impotent)
Angel of Despair
Empyrial Archangel (omg, favorite overall first creature on the field)
Hellkite Overlord
Inkwell Leviathan (replaced simic sky swallower, F.U.BLUE)
Reya Dawnbringer (not great)

The Mana:

14 swamps
1 lotus petal
1 chrome mox

btw how do you guys suggest dealing with a prince of thralls in the mirror match?

davidboan
06-22-2009, 11:52 PM
1 of My team mates plays mono black Reanimator. I can't remember His is exact list but its something very close to this:

LAND
17 Swamp

SPELLS
4 Animate Dead
4 Exhume
4 Reanimate
4 Dark Ritual
4 Buried Alive
4 Sickening Dreams
4 Duress

DUDES
4 Putrid Imp
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Reya Dawnbringer
1 Empyrial Archangel
1 Platinum Angel
1 Bogarden Hellkite
1 Hellkite Overlord
1 Magister Sphinx
1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
1 Phantom Nishoba
1 Woodfall Primus
1 Tidespout Tyrant

Dquick
06-23-2009, 01:17 PM
i like magister sphinx! i considered platinum angel but meh, never tried that dirty scheme. woodfall primus looks pretty sweet as well, flashback cabal therapy, then destroy something else on their field. but,, what does your friend do for card draw?

some of the creatures that didn't make main deck but were fun along the way were:

Bladewing the Risen(on a team with hellkite overlord, you're opponent is on a 2 turn clock)

Simic sky swallower(good card, but not as good at inkweller, still on sb for control)

knollspine dragon(very fast way to refill your hand after the first creature hits the field, kinda miss him actually. 7/5 flier helps as well)

arcanis is on the choppin block, maybe knollspine will come back or i'll go pick up the blue bringer of the dawn.

sphinx of steel wind(not a good fit for my deck, almost never needed him or when i did he couldn't deliver)

Dquick
06-24-2009, 04:36 AM
any other thoughts on my list? is reanimator so far forgotten?:mad: lol

Mastikor
06-24-2009, 04:43 AM
Entomb and Demonic Tutor are banned in Legacy.

Dquick
06-24-2009, 12:22 PM
yes, but the thread has much about illegal reanimator builds so i posted in here.

Dquick
07-02-2009, 02:05 AM
Tidespout tyrant rocks! ill post my updated list soon,tutors definately were a mistake in this deck.

Poron
07-02-2009, 04:27 AM
just add Boseju and go savage... they are all sorceries!

roflwaffles
08-06-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm not quite sure if Putrid Imp is worth it in the case that Entomb is unbanned. Putrid Imp and the discard method is played strictly because it serves as an insufficient substitute for the Entomb toolbox engine. If you want a discard engine for monoblack, I'd recommend the Zombie Infestation/Krovikan Horror/Squee engine instead, which synergies greatly with the reanimator. However, U/B Reanimator outclasses monoblack by far, even with Entomb legalized, because the deck really wants Careful Study and Mystical Tutor, since black has no quick draw nor efficient tutors. Plunge into Darkness would be an acceptable tutor if it wasn't for the deck's reliance on Reanimate, which would cause too much life loss. With the Infestation engine, you don't need the reanimator method alone and you have an alternate win condition by making 2/2 zombies on each player's turn. With no feasible tutor, monoblack would probably benefit more from an alternate win condition/discard enabler.

Legacy Monoblack Reanimator

Lands (22)
18 Swamp
4 Dark Ritual

Spell(26)
4 Entomb
4 Exhume
4 Reanimate
2 Animate Dead
4 Duress
4 Zombie Infestation
3 Buried Alive
1 Contamination

Creatures (12)
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Woodfall Primus
1 Phantom Nishoba
1 Woodfall Primus
1 Inkwell Leviathan
1 Ascendant Evincar
1 Visara the Dreadful
1 Verdant Force
1 Empyrial Archangel
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
2 Krovikan Horror

A U/B version would probably look like this, and run alot smoother

Land (22)
4 Polluted Delta
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Underground Sea
5 Swamp
1 Island
4 Lotus Petal

Spells (30)
4 Entomb
4 Careful Study
4 Exhume
4 Reanimate
2 Animate Dead
4 Duress
4 Mystical Tutor
4 Brainstorm

Creatures (8)
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Sundering Titan
1 Visara the Dreadful
1 Woodfall Primus
1 Phantom Nishoba
1 Empyrial Archangel
1 Sundering Titan
1 Bogardan Hellkite

sco0ter
08-07-2009, 03:45 AM
Entomb is still banned. (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Resources.aspx?x=judge/resources/sfrlegacy)

TheMightyQuinn
08-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Buried Alive into 3 Demigod of Revenge seems really sexy.

heroicraptor
08-09-2009, 01:13 AM
Buried Alive into 3 Demigod of Revenge seems really sexy.

Demigod triggers when you cast the spell, not when it enters the battlefield.