PDA

View Full Version : Time Spiral Orb of Insight...

Carlos El Salvador
08-28-2006, 03:42 AM
Some amazing things

Orb of insight is up... and... well, It's sort of scary

Threshold: 0
Madness: 10 (Cycle of five cards if you include reminder text)
Shadow: 28 (14 cards if you include reminder text for shadow)!!!
Buyback: 7
Phasing: 0
Legendary: 20
Suspend: 26
Sliver: 54!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Someplace between 17 and 28 slivers apparently, seeing as almost all slivers have the word sliver on them at least twice, and usually three times, I would expect it to be at about 17.)
Recover: 0
Cycling: 0
Ripple: 0
Provoke: 0 (Ahh, obscurity!)
Haste: 14
Spellshaper: 6 (Damnit, that's not an ability, just a crappy creature type!)
Rebel: 8
Mercenary: 0
Protection: 6
Flashback: 23
Storm: 5 (More than likely a cycle)
Affinity: 0
Sweep: 0
Sunburst: 0
Modular: 0
Morph: 18 (yay -_-)
Entwine: 0
kicker: 0
Echo: 13 (There better be an Echo/morph guy... That'd be funny, like a three three with morph of 1 or an echo with a Casting Cost of like 2, cost 4 mana either way, whee!)
Artifact: 40
Creature: 394 (remeber, that is just how often the word creature comes up, this includes enchant creatures, artifact creature, target creature, etc)
Instant: 62
Sorcery: 35
Enchantment: 25
Aura: 16
Trample: 11
Flying: 49
Fear: 1 (Low)
Double: 1
Strike: 6
First: 8 (These three numbers don't make a lot of sense.)
Defender: 3
Vigilance: 3
NO keywords from Rav block.
Splice: 0
Cumulative: 0

Those are all keywords I could think of for abilities.

Totem: 15 (Chronatog Totem has three uses of the word totem. I imagine the other ones do too, so probibly five total.)
Atog: 1 (Atog totem?)
Dragon: 8, Possable five other dragons other than Ur Dragon Scion, seeing as he has dragon in his name three times.
Kobold: 1 (Damn you Kher Keep, getting my hopes up!)
Elf: 5
Goblin: 16
Zombie: 8
Phyrexian: 3
Serra: 2
Tolarian: 1
Time: 72 (Damn you urza and your fetish with time)
Spiral: 0 (no time spiral reprint. yay!)
Mox: 0

If I missed stuff, tell me... I am scared of the Legendary Rebel Dragon with echo flying first strike Trample Morph madness... or something. How do you pay for something with madness in this set... guess we'll find out... now.. .Ooh, discard = 20, Draw - 13!

TheInfamousBearAssassin
08-28-2006, 04:10 AM
Dwarf: 0

Angryemoticon

JeremM
08-28-2006, 04:34 AM
Split: 10
Stack: 10

Two Split Second cards per color. Woo.

And from MaRo's article, it sounds like we're finally seeing a Jaya Ballard card.

on1y0ne
08-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Flanking: 21
Indestructible: 1
Wall: 4 (WTF?)

Eldariel
08-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Merfolk: 1 Gah! I was hoping them back in force.
Lord: 3
Cephalid: 0
Faerie: 2
Equipment: 0
Storm: 5
Orc: 1

Evil Roopey
08-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Merfolk: 1 Gah! I was hoping them back in force.

This guy better be good, or I'ma smack wizards for disgracing the best race in their game.

Nightmare
08-28-2006, 08:28 AM
This guy better be good, or I'ma smack wizards for disgracing the best race in their game.

Dwarf: 0

Evil Roopey
08-28-2006, 09:44 AM
So when you calculate the best race in Magic, do you try and find the least playable. That's what Jack does, do you really want to be like Jack?

Nightmare
08-28-2006, 09:57 AM
So when you calculate the best race in Magic, do you try and find the least playable. That's what Jack does, do you really want to be like Jack?On so many levels, I do.

Anyway, if "best" was synonymous with "most played" then obviously Goblins wins the shit out of that category, not merfolk. Wizards probably comes in second, on the shoulders of Bob and Pikula alone.
"Best" as a synonym for "Most Awesome" puts dwarves far, far ahead of stupid mermaids.

Drathro
08-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Totem: 15 (Chronatog Totem has three uses of the word totem. I imagine the other ones do too, so probibly five total.)
The Totems must be the cycle of artifacts that turn into Restricted-list creatures. Apparently, the Orb of Insight eliminates "Masticore Totem." On the other hand, "Guardian Beast Totem" is a bizarre, but interesting, possibility.

Also, rat: 1. Oh well.

quicksilver
08-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Double: 1
Strike: 6
First: 8 (These three numbers don't make a lot of sense.)

It makes sense to have first appear more than strike. For example, Gemstone caverns has the word first on it, "you're not playing first".

Wall: 4 (WTF?)
Yes, there are only three creatures with defender. But those instnace of walls probably appear more than once on a single card. For example say the card is "Wall of something", creature type "wall", that is two walls right there. Then it could have an ability like "Whenever Wall of something blocks, wall of something does one damage to target opponent". That accounts for all the walls on a single card! So it is not unreasonable to see wall appear more than defender.

edit: Holy crap, Kavu = 4!

edit2: Split = 10, second = 11. I would guess we are getting 10 split second cards, perhaps 2 cycles.

Nightmare
08-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Yes, there are only three creatures with defender. But those instnace of walls probably appear more than once on a single card. For example say the card is "Wall of something", creature type "wall", that is two walls right there. Then it could have an ability like "Whenever Wall of something blocks, wall of something does one damage to target opponent". That accounts for all the walls on a single card! So it is not unreasonable to see wall appear more than defender.I believe the "WTF" refers to Wizards' supposed stance of eliminating the creature type "Wall." That's the major reason they created Defender. Walls shouldn't be classified as creatures. At best, they're artifacts.

quicksilver
08-28-2006, 10:23 AM
I believe the "WTF" refers to Wizards' supposed stance of eliminating the creature type "Wall." That's the major reason they created Defender. Walls shouldn't be classified as creatures. At best, they're artifacts.

No when they changed it over they said they were still going to make some creatures with creature type wall, they just didn't want the creature type wall to be coupled with not being able to attack. They printed a wall in coldsnap, wall of shards. Plus this set is bringing back old stuff, walls seem appropriate.

Carlos El Salvador
08-28-2006, 10:27 AM
I forgot about flanking, I also forgot another ability

Imprint: 0

So far, the one instance of industructable is the only Mirrodin based ability.

And the reason the first double and strike ones don't make sense is that it means there are five creatures with first strike, and one creature with double strike, with 3 other instances of the word first. Or six first strikes with 2 more instances of first and one instance of double. That's also quite an impressive number of flankers in a set.

Fungus: 12
Thallid: 14! OMGIMONFIRETHALLIDIZBAK!

Return of Slivers, thallids, and one merfolk, who is a crappy, crappy card.

Lego
08-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Insect: 6

Insect Advantage FTW.

Thief: 1 *Shrug*

TheInfamousBearAssassin
08-28-2006, 03:23 PM
On so many levels, I do.

Anyway, if "best" was synonymous with "most played" then obviously Goblins wins the shit out of that category, not merfolk. Wizards probably comes in second, on the shoulders of Bob and Pikula alone.
"Best" as a synonym for "Most Awesome" puts dwarves far, far ahead of stupid mermaids.

Somebody get this guy a unicorn high five.

On another note- Fungal Shambler Totem for the win?

AngryTroll
08-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Minotaur: 0
Unicorn: 0

Sad. This seems to be a direct attack on Team Unicorn by Wizards of the Coast because of the emergency bannings that had to be issued to control ThunderBluff. We loved you, Anaba Grunt!

MasterBlaster
08-29-2006, 12:14 AM
Urza's-2
Factory-1
Assembly-worker-4

Edit: I think I'm setting myself up for dissapointment.

Edit 2:
Voidmage-3
Prodigy-1

Edit 3:
Amrou-3
Kithkin-2

Rivs
08-29-2006, 06:47 AM
I suppose you saw this already but it's scary enough to mention it again:

Tolarian: 1
Academy: 1

deadlock
08-29-2006, 07:15 AM
But no 'Necropotence' *cry* :wink:

MasterBlaster
08-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Lightning-3
bolt-2

Edit:
Jaya-3
Ballard-3

Edit 2:
Screeching-1
Drake-1
Why couldn't they reprint the other drake from Portal: Second Age?

Edit 3:
Guardian-3
beast-4
I'm guessing we will get a Guardian Beast Totem.

Edit 4:
Djinn-4
Interesting.

Ivory-2
Gargoyle-4
Ivory Gargoyle Totem?

Phantom
08-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Lightning-3
Edit 2:
Screeching-1
Drake-1

Fuckin A!

I'm way too excited about the 4 Assembly Workers.

quicksilver
08-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Fuckin A!

I am too :)

MasterBlaster
08-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Some more interesting results:
homarid-1
demon-2
demonic-1
lich-1
elder-1
master-3
nosferatu-3(why did I even search for that?)

Edit:
Serra-2
Mishra-1

CavernNinja
08-29-2006, 02:17 PM
I wonder if they name things just to spook people with Orb if Insight. There is probably two different cards, something like Tolarian Shitty Creature and Academy of Idiots but of course the Orb of Insight just has one Tolarian and one Academy. Or maybe it's "Nerfed Tolarian Academy That Sucks"

JeremM
08-29-2006, 03:58 PM
No way Academy's coming back. R&D might have to get run over by a bus for Mana Drain to be reprinted, but it would take a Sherman tank plowing into WotC headquarters for them to bring back the Academy.

Edit 2:
Screeching-1
Drake-1

Because reprinting the most powerful non-toolbox creature ever is never a good decision. It's a formidable clock in Legacy; I can't even begin to fathom how broken it would be when Bolt and StP are not a consideration.

Then again, without the methods of cheating it into play (Vial, 2-lands) it might be slightly more balanced.

MasterBlaster
08-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Because reprinting the most powerful non-toolbox creature ever is never a good decision. It's a formidable clock in Legacy; I can't even begin to fathom how broken it would be when Bolt and StP are not a consideration.

Then again, without the methods of cheating it into play (Vial, 2-lands) it might be slightly more balanced.

Did you just say that you think Sea Drake is more powerful than Psychatog, Morphling, and Exalted Angel?

I wasn't taking power-level into consideration when I said that I wanted Sea Drake reprinted. I just want the damn thing reprinted so I can buy a playset of them for cheap.

Blue creatures shouldn't cost over $100 for a playset!

JeremM
08-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Shit. That's what I get for having faster fingers than brain. Meant to throw a "one of the..." in there. :mad:

Shriekmaw
08-29-2006, 04:51 PM
No way Academy's coming back. R&D might have to get run over by a bus for Mana Drain to be reprinted, but it would take a Sherman tank plowing into WotC headquarters for them to bring back the Academy.

So, what you are saying that its possible. :)

Brushwagg
08-29-2006, 10:36 PM
I like the that they are printing some new Madness stuff. Hopefully they are on par with Basking Rootwalla and Arrogant Wurm.

Drathro
08-30-2006, 10:32 AM
The Time Spiral minisite reveals the card title "Academy Ruins (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/timespiral/week1wallpaper)," so there's the source of the one occurrence of Academy in the Orb. Definitely no Tolarian Academy (as if there was ever any doubt).

Lego
08-30-2006, 03:55 PM
The Time Spiral minisite reveals the card title "Academy Ruins (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/timespiral/week1wallpaper)," so there's the source of the one occurrence of Academy in the Orb. Definitely no Tolarian Academy (as if there was ever any doubt).

Hmm, maybe it says "Tap: Add U to your mana pool for each artifact in your graveyard" :wink:

I'm assuming this is really only two Assembly-Workers. After all, it appears twice on Mishra's Factory.

Phantom
08-30-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm assuming this is really only two Assembly-Workers. After all, it appears twice on Mishra's Factory.

I was thinking it was just 4 creatures that happened to be of type Assembly-Workers, but it could be man-lands. Either way I'm pumped!

Di
08-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Hmm, maybe it says "Tap: Add U to your mana pool for each artifact in your graveyard"

That would probably be more broken than Tolarian Academy itself. Just think of how easily retarded that would be. Arfiact Lands+Life from the Loam oops, add 30+ to your mana pool.

We can dream though...

MasterBlaster
08-30-2006, 09:50 PM
That would probably be more broken than Tolarian Academy itself. Just think of how easily retarded that would be. Arfiact Lands+Life from the Loam oops, add 30+ to your mana pool.

It may be broken in Legacy and Vintage but I think that would be acceptable in Standard.

NoGameShow
08-30-2006, 09:59 PM
On the website for Time Spiral they have a picture of what looks like a Wheel of Fortune and it comes up in the Orb of Insight. That would be an interesting reprint.

Lego
08-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Either way I'm pumped!

Pumped! Get it? Cuz Mishra's Factory pumps Assembly-Workers... yeah, *chuckle* Okay, I'll stop now.

MasterBlaster
08-30-2006, 10:13 PM
On the website for Time Spiral they have a picture of what looks like a Wheel of Fortune and it comes up in the Orb of Insight. That would be an interesting reprint.

Mark Rosewater said that their will be a card called 'Wheel of Fate'. I'm guessing that the new Wheel of Fortune art will be for Wheel of Fate.

DarkAkuma
08-31-2006, 12:00 AM
walk=1
mogg=2
balance=2
sengir=3
poison=0
jar=2
mongoose=3
scroll=2
hymn=1

All i feel like searching for now.

MasterBlaster
08-31-2006, 02:47 PM
According to recent revelations on MTGSalvation Urza's Factory is a land in Time Spiral.

Unfortunately the ability of the land is '7T: Put a 2/2 Assembly-Worker into play under your control'.

7 mana. That sucks.

Tacosnape
08-31-2006, 02:56 PM
According to recent revelations on MTGSalvation Urza's Factory is a land in Time Spiral.

Unfortunately the ability of the land is '7T: Put a 2/2 Assembly-Worker into play under your control'.

7 mana. That sucks.

Either this is a hoax or, more likely, the name is wrong. Orb of Insight has "Urza" listed 0 times.

EDIT: Or, nevermind, Orb of Insight is stupid and doesn't count "Urza" as part of "Urza's."

quicksilver
08-31-2006, 02:58 PM
Either this is a hoax or, more likely, the name is wrong. Orb of Insight has "Urza" listed 0 times.

But it has "Urza's" listed twice.

Peter_Rotten
08-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Walk of Eons 4UU
Sorcery
Target player gains an additional turn after this one.
Buyback - sacrifice three islands

Roar. Infinite turns with 2 Explorations and a Crucible in play. [rolls eyes]

Lukas Preuss
08-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Walk of Eons 4UU
Sorcery
Target player gains an additional turn after this one.
Buyback - sacrifice three islands

Roar. Infinite turns with 2 Explorations and a Crucible in play. [rolls eyes]

Turboland just got viable.

Maybe not viable but this card is worth a try, at least. :)

dwarven_anarchist
09-01-2006, 10:16 AM
You might not even need to go infinite for the Walk to be good. 2-3 turns in a row will likely seal the game. It'd still take a lot of lands, but it might win it for you.

nitewolf9
09-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Hey guys, sorry to be a bit off topic, but could someone please post what orb of insight is? (I can't view wizards.com or some other sites on this machine). Thanks!

MasterBlaster
09-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Hey guys, sorry to be a bit off topic, but could someone please post what orb of insight is? (I can't view wizards.com or some other sites on this machine). Thanks!

Orb of Insight is a program that lets you search for how many times a certain word occurs in the cards of Time Spiral. It searches through mana cost, name, type, rules text, artist, and power/toughness.

kabal
09-03-2006, 09:09 AM
I was bored...

Phyrexian 3
Cabal 3
Krosa 1

Knight 13
horror 3
Djinn 4
wizard 15
kavu 4
bird 4
cat 1
snake 1
centaur 1
orc 1
wurm 8
Saproling 12

lightning 13
token 26
graveyard 51
draw 3
copy 10
search 13
shuffle 11
counter 59

EDIT: I thought I was picking not so obivous words to search on. Low and behold I pick Phyrexian as I first word to search on. Wow, that shows up how much I know about Time Spiral.

Time Spiral story: Chaos abounds as time itself begins to unravel as a result of the Phyrexian invasion and Karona's war!

Fortifitakitors
09-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Giant 10?!?!?!

What is this supposed to mean?

Hope its like another "Jotun Grunt" :cool:

Caboose
09-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Teferi is getting his own card. You wanted something that hoses Solidarity?

http://forums.mtgnews.com/showthread.php?p=2877898#post2877898

All cards must be played as Sorceries, while your d00d's can be played as instants. Too bad he costs 5.

MasterBlaster
09-04-2006, 12:56 AM
Teferi is getting his own card. You wanted something that hoses Solidarity?

http://forums.mtgnews.com/showthread.php?p=2877898#post2877898

All cards must be played as Sorceries, while your d00d's can be played as instants. Too bad he costs 5.

He is much less expensive after Solidarity plays a couple High Tides, but hes still pretty bad.

Even more exciting though is the new Sliver that was shown. The sliver is equal to Sedge Troll except with a better creature type. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mr244
I really wish I had the cards to build a 5 color sliver deck because I think it just got alot more viable with this guy.

Evil Roopey
09-04-2006, 01:21 AM
God, I can't wait to see what that Angel does. It doesn't have suspend, it costs 2 mana, and it's big. EBA here she comes (if she's playable).

Caboose
09-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Maybe she has fading :rolleyes:

PunkRocker1134
09-04-2006, 11:23 AM
God, I can't wait to see what that Angel does. It doesn't have suspend, it costs 2 mana, and it's big. EBA here she comes (if she's playable).

What angel?

CavernNinja
09-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Maybe she has fading :rolleyes:

Orb of Insight says no.

Evil Roopey
09-04-2006, 11:37 AM
What angel?

an angel that costs two mana (yes, that angel, and no she's not some wimpy 2/2)
No, this does not have suspend. You get the angel the turn you play it.

I'm pressuming that it is Serra before she was a planeswalker since they did Teferi before he was broken. Hence, one of her drawbacks is probably being Legendary.

atv
09-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Perhaps it's a morph Angel? Of course it would be a "wimpy 2/2" before unmorphing but MaRo can be sneaky.

Or maybe I just like Exalted Angel too much.

Evil Roopey
09-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Perhaps it's a morph Angel? Of course it would be a "wimpy 2/2" before unmorphing but MaRo can be sneaky.

Or maybe I just like Exalted Angel too much.

She wouldn't cost 2 if she had morph now would she?

atv
09-04-2006, 12:25 PM
She wouldn't cost 2 if she had morph now would she?

Oops, true. :eek: For some reason I remembered MaRo saying 3. :frown:

Edit: Maybe Echo then?

on1y0ne
09-04-2006, 02:20 PM
I think the Angel will cost two only if a certain condition is met. Remember the Avatars from Prophecy? One of the sneak previews for that set said there was a 5/6 flyer for two mana. The Blue Avatar did cost two mana if your opponent had no cards in hand. I would expect something along the same lines...

bigbear102
09-04-2006, 02:58 PM
en-kor=2

Maybe life.dec will make a come back.

dahcmai
09-05-2006, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster

7 mana. That sucks.

That ones prety much official, made even moreso by the fact having the Urzatron out gives you exactly that much mana. 7 Cute...

I'm pretty excited about this one.

Wipe Away 1UU
Instant
Split Second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't play spells or activated abilities that aren't mana abilities.)
Return target permanent to its owner's hand.

Finally a way to get rid of a Nevy's Disc / Powder Keg / Pernicious deed without worrying about setting it off. You can even stop little responses like welders doing fancy stuff when you bounce them. I want 4 foils of this.

JeremM
09-05-2006, 01:22 AM
Wipe Away might be great against Solidarity, since it buys you another turn against them and can mangle their math when trying to determine whether or not to try and go off. It essentially costs 1U against them, too, since you can bounce the land after their first Tide and force them to burn/fizzle by making them try to go off with only three or four Islands.

JeremM
09-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Ugh @ Mishra. Sure, fetching into multiple LEDs is fun, but if you can support the colors you're at the point where you don't need more acceleration.

He could almost herald a return of MaskNaught, if not for the wording on the Dreadnought that makes you sac when it comes into play from anywhere. So much for accelerating into a Mishra, then dropping Naughts and saccing one to the other for a quick win.

quicksilver
09-06-2006, 09:37 AM
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30447&stc=1&d=1157515725
He looks pretty damn good. Ok his color requirements are a little rough but to start with he is a 4/4 for 4 mana with no drawbacks. Then whenever you play an artifact you get a copy for free! He seems like an artifact based deck could be built around him.

Phantom
09-06-2006, 10:51 AM
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30447&stc=1&d=1157515725
He looks pretty damn good. Ok his color requirements are a little rough but to start with he is a 4/4 for 4 mana with no drawbacks. Then whenever you play an artifact you get a copy for free! He seems like an artifact based deck could be built around him.

I agree. Grabbing two needle's alone is fantastic, let alone grabbing two Swords and beating face. As for the mana requirements, Glimmervoid + Chromatic Shpere?

(His ability doesn't work for artifact lands, does it?)

quicksilver
09-06-2006, 10:56 AM
(His ability doesn't work for artifact lands, does it?)

No lands arn't spells. It would be sick if it did work like that.

TheDarkshineKnight
09-06-2006, 12:42 PM

HOLY FUCK! IT'S B0RKED! B0RKZ0RRRRRRED!

Seriously, that is way too fucking powerful of an ability.

M.Maddox
09-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Is that card confirmed?

Jander78
09-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Wow. Thank you Wizards.

quicksilver
09-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Is that card confirmed?

Yes, it was today's preview card of the day on wizard's official site.

AngryTroll
09-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Wow...just off the top of my head, some cards that are Amazing to grab with him...
Engineered Explosives (the deck will be at least 3 colors)
Pithing Needle
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sundering Titan

Chromatic Sphere draws a card.
Actually, I suppose Masticore might not be the best grab...funny, though..same with Jitte.

quicksilver
09-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Engineered Explosives wouldn't be that hot since the second one would be set at zero. The baubles are actually kinda hot with him out, draw two for zero mana, plus either looking at two random cards from your opponents hand or the top card of each library.

Equipment is rather busted, you are playing him in an artifact deck so why not grab like cranial plating next turn and equip both of them on him. I can actually see like a modifed version of affinity running him, with shrapnel blast, disciple of the vault, and all the good afinity tools.

Ewokslayer
09-06-2006, 03:01 PM
I can actually see like a modifed version of affinity running him, with shrapnel blast, disciple of the vault, and all the good afinity tools.

That might not be horrible. Affinity is already in the right colors and has vial so you can actually cast him.
Though, he would probably be too slow for most affinity decks.

Nightmare
09-06-2006, 03:06 PM
By the time you hit 4 mana with affinity (especially the right 4 mana), shouldn't you already be winning the game? Their game plan is usually to drop big dudes and evasive dudes for free, use the mana to draw cards and drop Skull Hats, and then beat face. This guy definately gets in the way of that. Jury is out, but I predict a verdict of "not good."

Ewokslayer
09-06-2006, 03:13 PM
By the time you hit 4 mana with affinity (especially the right 4 mana), shouldn't you already be winning the game? Their game plan is usually to drop big dudes and evasive dudes for free, use the mana to draw cards and drop Skull Hats, and then beat face. This guy definately gets in the way of that. Jury is out, but I predict a verdict of "not good."

But it would be SOO cool.
How can you argue with that?

Nightmare
09-06-2006, 03:18 PM
But it would be SOO cool.
How can you argue with that?http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/expandnews.php?Article=3689

quicksilver
09-06-2006, 03:24 PM

Well you should be winning by this time but what if you arn't. Last time I check affinity doesn't win every single match it plays, which means in those matches it hasn't won by turn 4. Some times decks just out control it or gain too much card advantage for it to handle, sometimes affinity runs out of gas. And with chromatic sphere, glimmer void, aether vial, and maybe even mox diamond, not to mention its regular lands produce the right colors, casting him shouldn't be that much of a problem.
Personally, I just want to play baubles into him, and draw into more baubles getting baubles back, it should be great fun. Baubles also have synergy with disciple of the vault and the affinty ability.

Ewokslayer
09-06-2006, 03:28 PM
http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/expandnews.php?Article=3689

I was wondering who would be the first person to link to The Danger of Cool Things.

But, sometimes cool things are just too cool to ignore.
Like bouncing someones Phyrexian Warbeast multiple times leaving them without any lands. (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=88441#post88441)

quicksilver
09-06-2006, 03:35 PM
I was wondering who would be the first person to link to The Danger of Cool Things.

But, sometimes cool things are just too cool to ignore.
Like bouncing someones Phyrexian Warbeast multiple times leaving them without any lands. (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=88441#post88441)

Or twincasting an opponents Ill gotten gains and going infinite. Or Flametonge Kavúing a phyrexian negator. Or literally kicking dave gearhart in the crotch while he has brainfreeze on the stack. All very cool and fun plays.

Ewokslayer
09-06-2006, 03:43 PM
... literally kicking dave gearhart in the crotch while he has brainfreeze on the stack. All very cool and fun plays.
Does that have split second, otherwise it is off topic as well as not being very effective. He will just remand the original brainfreeze and cast it again.

quicksilver
09-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Does that have split second, otherwise it is off topic as well as not being very effective. He will just remand the original brainfreeze and cast it again.

Oh it most definatly has split second, he won't see it coming.

JeremM
09-07-2006, 12:12 AM
As a fan of Faerie Stompy and other mono-U aggro decks, I have one thing to say about Jaya Ballard:

OH, FUCK

Now every card in Burn/Sligh is a Pyroblast, Incinerate, or Inferno (good luck getting the mana for that).

As for Serra Avenger, 'sup Vial? Even then, you're only gaining a turn ahead with her, by which time you probably have an Exalted out.

TheDarkshineKnight
09-07-2006, 12:26 AM
WOOHOO! This is why red is the most kickass color in Magic! It's not broken; IT'S JUST MOTHERFUCKING AWESOME. Like, eating babies, skeleton and all, and crapping out rainbows awesome. Green is ALMOST as awesome, but nothing can touch the pure, concentrated holiness of Red.

Anyhoo, Jaya Ballard kills your Standstill by discarding a card, which fuels my Lavamancer. Pure Pwnage.

Edit: MOTHERFUCKING R/G JAYA BALLARD MADNESS!!!

Jander78
09-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Fyi....

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/fcpics/taste/mc55_lsjrtst7jx66xm72.jpg

I like the looks of a lot of cards in this set so far. Appears we may have some that affect our format!

Anarky87
09-07-2006, 11:57 AM
And with chromatic sphere, glimmer void, aether vial, and maybe even mox diamond, not to mention its regular lands produce the right colors, casting him shouldn't be that much of a problem..

Paradise Mantle ftw? Dropping it on a turn one Ornithopter, along with Glimmervoid, Chromatic Sphere, and your own lands, should be more than enough ways of reliably dropping him. After that, anything else you drop is gonna be in doubles. Enforcer into Enforcer, Plating into Plating, then go nuts.

Edit: Not to mention Vialing him in if you really need to.

JeremM
09-08-2006, 12:11 AM
That's some badass art on the Stronghold Overseer. I always hated the old art for shadow creatures; this is far closer to how I would envision a black creature with shadow.

As for its abilities, it's almost great. Thanks to SoFaI, shadow is sick, even moreso than before. He also pumps and diminishes - if not for the prohibitive mana cost, I could see a shadow-only mono-black deck dropping SoFaI, Masks, and unblockable dudes to race almost any non-Reanimator deck. Only issue would be that you can't block, which is a rather major drawback in Legacy. :tongue:

atv
09-09-2006, 01:57 AM
Memory Jar on wheels?
http://mtgsalvation.com/spoiler/time-spiral/#1197

quicksilver
09-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Also new Fact or fiction, same thing only the extra pile goes onto the bottom. The Casting cost is unknown, expect it to be at least 5 despite this being strictly worse than FoF.

Also Anwar is gona shit himself, they reprinted Negator, only in totem form.

Jander78
09-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Also new Fact or fiction, same thing only the extra pile goes onto the bottom. The Casting cost is unknown, expect it to be at least 5 despite this being strictly worse than FoF.

Also Anwar is gona shit himself, they reprinted Negator, only in totem form.

It looks like it has the same cc as FoF, but the fact that your opponent get's to choose which pile and that you only get one of the cards from that pile makes it stricktly worse.
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30740&d=1157750054

TheDarkshineKnight
09-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Hmmmmm...

I'm actually seeing potential in my crazy remark about Jaya Ballard R/G Madness.

It goes well with Goblin Lore, Grim Lavamancer, and Squee. Hell, with the crazy amounts of discard in the deck, it could run Hellbent as well. TOO AWESOME!

Whit3 Ghost
09-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Memory Jar on wheels?
http://mtgsalvation.com/spoiler/time-spiral/#1197

OMG
Now, how to break this SOB in half...

EDIT

Anger+Reanimate effects seem pretty techy...

Kadaj
09-09-2006, 04:02 PM
The ones that get my creative juices flowing are Mishra and Stronghold Overseer. Primarily because they have awesome effects that aren't entirely broken but are in by far my favorite colors, and even possibly fit into one of my favorite decks of all time (Mishra might anyway).

Seems like Wizards is pushing the cards in this set a little harder than the previous ones, which is exactly what I was hoping for. So far anyway, they seem to be doing a good job.

Evil Roopey
09-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Chromatic Star is cool. I can't wait to play with that card. :)

Eldariel
09-10-2006, 04:28 PM
I thought they didn't want to print strictly better cards, but yet they printed Chromatic Star over Chromatic Sphere...

AngryTroll
09-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Firemaw Kavu looks really cool. Yes, it is in almost every way worse then everyone's favorite Kavu, costing 6 and having Echo, but the art is cool and it can take out three critters.

The references to the "other" kavu are artful: it has only 1 Red in the cost, its a 4/2, and it does 4 damage (on the way out). The art is reminiscent also. Plus, we get it in type two.

TheDarkshineKnight
09-11-2006, 01:39 AM
Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder -
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard [R]
Whenever you pkay a creature spell, put X 1/1 thrull creature tokens into play, where X is that spells converted mana cost. Whenever you control seven or more thrulls, sacrifice Endrek Sahr, Master breeder.
2/3

Here's the preview card. Night all.

Drathro
09-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Seems like Wizards is pushing the cards in this set a little harder than the previous ones, which is exactly what I was hoping for. So far anyway, they seem to be doing a good job.
I agree. We've only seen a few previews from Time Spiral, and already I think this set has much more potential than Coldsnap. (CS has a few potential diamonds in the rough, but, otherwise, total snore fest.)

herbig
09-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Not sure if these were already posted but,

Icatian: 1
brass: 3
homarid: 1
clockwork: 5
0/1: 4
0/2: 1

Lego
09-12-2006, 02:05 AM
I thought they didn't want to print strictly better cards, but yet they printed Chromatic Star over Chromatic Sphere...

It's not actually strictly better. For one thing, the draw of Chromatic Star can be responded to, where the draw for Chromatic Sphere cannot. For this reason along, Chromatic Sphere seems like it will always be a better card for Salvagers Game. Although the Star looks better for Affinity.

Ophidian
09-12-2006, 02:54 AM
Not sure if these were already posted but,

Icatian: 1
brass: 3
homarid: 1
clockwork: 5
0/1: 4
0/2: 1

Ophidian: 1

hehe

SillyMetalGAT
09-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Just so everyone knows, the Nefashu is Sengir Nefashu, although I dont know what his ability is. He costs 3BB. I saw the card on a commercial on Adult Swim.

MasterBlaster
09-15-2006, 09:03 AM
You mean Sengir Nosferatu?

EDIT: I had to google what a nefashu was. Its that zombie from scourge.

SillyMetalGAT
09-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Yeah, sorry about that. The text was so tiny I could barely read it inches away from the screen. Theres another card they showed that I actually got:

Deep-Sea Kraken
7UUU
6/6
Deep-Sea Kraken is unblockable
Suspend-? 2UU(?)

Just in case anyone wanted to see him.