PDA

View Full Version : Sea Drakes!

Sexy_Rector
08-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Yup, that is right I am looking for a playset of Sea Drakes. If anyone here has an extra set [or singles] that they would want to part with, PM me. I have extras of almost anything that you could want so LMK.

Here is my aim name, zenzagonal

Hit me up so I don't have to burrow Mad Zur's anymore

mikekelley
08-31-2006, 03:48 PM
ebay.com

I'm not sure this is the best place to ask

JeremM
08-31-2006, 05:18 PM
I was on the verge of getting a playset for $60, but it got sniped in the last few minutes and I was out when it ended. :frown:

But yeah, give eBay a look; that's what I'm doing and having moderate success.

Reverend Damaged
08-31-2006, 05:42 PM
And I only need this card because I collect Rebecca's artwork. :-( Oh man. So much money for Sea Drakes.

I would concur that eBay is the best place to check, but first sign up for auctionsniper to be sure you're the winner even while you're out. ;)

umbowta
09-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Yup, that is right I am looking for a playset of Sea Drakes. If anyone here has an extra set [or singles] that they would want to part with, PM me. I have extras of almost anything that you could want so LMK.

Here is my aim name, zenzagonal

Hit me up so I don't have to burrow Mad Zur's anymore

I'm pretty sure I can get you a playset for under $50 shipped. Let me know if you still need them. If you let me know by tomorrow, I might be able to pick them up sooner than you think.

[Edit] Pwned. Due to their huge recent rise in price...Rediculous!!!...50 for a playset is no longer possible. Just to think, I paid $2 total for 8! of these things only one month ago. REDICULOUS!!! So everyone can stop PMing me begging for Drakes. [end edit]

mikekelley
09-01-2006, 01:39 PM
I'll gladly take you up on that.

mikekelley
09-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Just got sniped out of a playset on ebay.

That's totally awesome, I had the bid at 110 with three seconds left. GG

JeremM
09-05-2006, 12:17 AM
That might've been me; I just won an auction for a playset.

I wasn't sniping, though; I had it locked up for a solid minute before it ended.

I missed a set for $70 last week because I was playing Manhunt and came back three minutes late. Whoops.

mikekelley
09-05-2006, 12:24 AM
I kept refreshing until about 20 seconds left and assumed I had it because there'd been no activity for awhile.

I had the proxy bid at 110, went to take a piss, came back and had lost. :(

dontbiteitholmes
09-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Eric call Paul about helping that one dude wtih his Math you fucker.

Zilla
09-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Wizards needs to hurry up and reprint this card. Playsets are going for 120-170 buyout on eBay, and they're only going to increase due to continued demand. It's a creature for fuck's sake. A beatstick at that. Ridiculous.

MasterBlaster
09-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Wizards needs to hurry up and reprint this card.

Absolutely! The prices are absolutely rediculous. I really wish I picked up a couple dozen playsets earlier this year when they were like a $1 card.

dahcmai
09-05-2006, 08:42 PM
I don't get why they are going up in price so much. What's that thing actually used in anyway other than faerie stompy or is that it? It's a decent creature, especially for blue. 3 mana for a 4/3 flier is about as good as you get for blue, but it's no Morphling or some other super quality blue guy.

MasterBlaster
09-05-2006, 08:48 PM
I don't get why they are going up in price so much. What's that thing actually used in anyway other than faerie stompy or is that it? It's a decent creature, especially for blue. 3 mana for a 4/3 flier is about as good as you get for blue, but it's no Morphling or some other super quality blue guy.

Sea Drake is also used in builds of Fish. It's crazy expensive because it comes from Portal: Second Age. P2 was never T2 legal so people didn't buy much of it so not much of it was printed and now that the card is legal in a format its in high demand and really rare. Sucks.

xsockmonkeyx
09-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Sea Drake = 30 dollars for a one dollar card.

They REALLY need to reprint a bunch of portal and starter cards now that they are legal in eternal formats. Maybe some kind of Chronicles/Anthologies type shizzit.

My short list:

Sea Drake
Grim Tutor
Imperial Seal
Imperial Recruiter

mikekelley
09-05-2006, 10:42 PM
That's another thing. If I plop 170 for a playset of these i'm sure as fuck going to be pissed if they are either banned again or reprinted.

quicksilver
09-06-2006, 10:23 AM
That's another thing. If I plop 170 for a playset of these i'm sure as fuck going to be pissed if they are either banned again or reprinted.

Don't be surprised if they are reprinted.

TheDarkshineKnight
09-06-2006, 12:36 PM
You know what craeature they need to reprint OTHER than Sea Drake? MOTHERFUCKING OLD MAN OF THE FUCKING SEA! Seriously, good creatures shouldn't be 60.00 dollars.

JeremM
09-07-2006, 05:54 PM
My Drakes came in today (but ended up in the wrong mailbox!). Of course, now that I have the damn card, they're probably going to show up in previews for Time Spiral as one of the reprints. :mad:

If not, <3 underpriced fliers.

Reverend Damaged
09-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Wizards needs to hurry up and reprint this card. Playsets are going for 120-170 buyout on eBay, and they're only going to increase due to continued demand. It's a creature for fuck's sake. A beatstick at that. Ridiculous.

I'm so glad I picked up 11 of these for $33.

EDIT: It was tonight, too.

So if anyone wants a players set for $120, sold. :D

JeremM
09-09-2006, 01:05 AM
I was looking at Rebecca Guay's website and was reading the signing information. Is the info still accurate? It would be neat as hell to have a signed set of them.

Vardaman
09-09-2006, 02:20 AM
Sea Drake doesn't really seem that good. $110 for a playset is obscene.

mikekelley
09-09-2006, 02:33 AM
A blue 4/3 flyer for three is obscene.

I don't think that this card will ever be reprinted. It's really wacky in a few ways.

Zilla
09-09-2006, 02:55 AM
I don't think that this card will ever be reprinted. It's really wacky in a few ways.
If they don't, they're painting themselves into a corner in the same way that they have with Vintage. If entire archetypes are delegitimized based on card availability alone, then you end up with tournament organizers having to make difficult decisions about whether to hold sanctioned tournaments or allow proxies so people are able to play the decks they want to play. This isn't even so much an issue of cost as it is an eventual total unavailability of certain cards. It's already difficult to find Sea Drakes at any cost. If decks that run them get more popular, they'll literally be impossible to find. If it comes to that point, they ought to either reprint or remove the card from the format entirely.

Mirrislegend
09-09-2006, 02:57 AM
Isn't that a little extreme Zilla? To remove a card from the game just because its hard to get?

Tao
09-09-2006, 05:46 AM
Isn't that a little extreme Zilla? To remove a card from the game just because its hard to get?

The logic is correct. In a competitive format a player should be able to play the deck he considers as the best deck to win a tournament.

Shadow
09-09-2006, 09:05 AM

Wizards has said that Bazaar, Workshop, and Drain are all partially banned because of the cost.

AnwarA101
09-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Wizards has said that Bazaar, Workshop, and Drain are all partially banned because of the cost.

They are primarily banned because their power level is very high and very distorting to a format. Workshop makes Stax instantly viable. Bazaar is a crazy draw engine that can't be countered. Drain is counterspell + dark ritual in one card. They might be banned partially for price, but I think they are way over the line anyway in terms of being balanced cards for this format.

Ta Jugs
09-09-2006, 01:45 PM
On top of that I dont think wizards will ban a card for price ever again

Tacosnape
09-09-2006, 02:13 PM
I sort of agree with Zilla, actually, although only to a point. Cards like Drop of Honey, Moat, and The Abyss are incredibly strong in the right decks, but probably don't warrant removal based on their inability to dominate a format, but certainly don't warrant reprinting, as the entire world of collectors would explode in a big fiery ball (that was visible...from space. Poor Pom-Pom.)

Cards like Sea Drake, however, wouldn't be ridiculously blasphemous to reprint down the line. In fact, there should really be a set, not legal in standard or extended, that consists entirely of reprints of some of the top Legacy/Vintage non-broken staples. This could include simpler stuff like Duress, STP (Props to the coldsnap pre-cons), and Armageddon, as well as more difficult stuff like Cursed Scroll, Sea Drake, the Fetchlands, and so forth.

Time will help, as wizards has done a fair job of getting some cards (Like Hypnotic Specter) into circulation. But if an eternal format is ever going to thrive and wizards wants to make money off of it (which should be their driving motivation for anything), a reprint set with purple symbols might be interesting.

Ta Jugs
09-09-2006, 02:28 PM
They did after all reprint tidings in 9th ed which became a very powerful card in type 2. However it is one of the only cards originally printed in portal to be reprinted. I highly dought that they will reprint sea drake because it may be too powerful of a card in type 2. With incinerate and volcanic hammer soon to be in the format maybe. They almost reprinted thunder dragon after all.

TheDarkshineKnight
09-09-2006, 02:32 PM
I sort of agree with Zilla, actually, although only to a point. Cards like Drop of Honey, Moat, and The Abyss are incredibly strong in the right decks, but probably don't warrant removal based on their inability to dominate a format, but certainly don't warrant reprinting, as the entire world of collectors would explode in a big fiery ball (that was visible...from space. Poor Pom-Pom.)

Cards like Sea Drake, however, wouldn't be ridiculously blasphemous to reprint down the line. In fact, there should really be a set, not legal in standard or extended, that consists entirely of reprints of some of the top Legacy/Vintage non-broken staples. This could include simpler stuff like Duress, STP (Props to the coldsnap pre-cons), and Armageddon, as well as more difficult stuff like Cursed Scroll, Sea Drake, the Fetchlands, and so forth.

Time will help, as wizards has done a fair job of getting some cards (Like Hypnotic Specter) into circulation. But if an eternal format is ever going to thrive and wizards wants to make money off of it (which should be their driving motivation for anything), a reprint set with purple symbols might be interesting.

That idea sounds so rediculously hot, that, well, it's hot.

dahcmai
09-10-2006, 10:38 AM
The local store owner here and myself spent yesterday opening half a box of Portal 2 for fun. I bought a good $21 worth of packs and got my 3 Sea Drakes, Dakmor Sorceress, Sylvan Yeti, and one of those Norwood preistesses. I traded the priestess and the yeti for a Volcanic Island since he needed them to complete a set he was working on and he valued the Yeti fairly high since it was the last card he needed to finish it.

All in all $21 for a Dakmor Sorceress, 3 Sea Drakes, and a Volcanic Island just made my day. It's really not that hard to pack them and most definitely cheaper.

xsockmonkeyx
09-10-2006, 11:00 AM
It's really not that hard to pack them and most definitely cheaper.

...if you can find the packs of course.:wink:

mikekelley
09-10-2006, 05:30 PM
The local store owner here and myself spent yesterday opening half a box of Portal 2 for fun. I bought a good $21 worth of packs and got my 3 Sea Drakes, Dakmor Sorceress, Sylvan Yeti, and one of those Norwood preistesses. I traded the priestess and the yeti for a Volcanic Island since he needed them to complete a set he was working on and he valued the Yeti fairly high since it was the last card he needed to finish it.

All in all $21 for a Dakmor Sorceress, 3 Sea Drakes, and a Volcanic Island just made my day. It's really not that hard to pack them and most definitely cheaper.

How much did you pay per pack?

Reverend Damaged
09-10-2006, 05:35 PM
By the way, if anybody has In the Eye of Chaos and Nether Voids, my extra 7 Sea Drakes are for trade.

My friend wanted 4 and was going to give me 3 Nether Voids. He sold the Nether Voids the other day so now it's either find some voids elseware or sell the drakes. Hoping to find cards I need however.

mikekelley
09-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Does wizards know about this card, or similar cards for that matter, that are extremely difficult to get? Do they keep their eye on this kind of thing?

Brushwagg
09-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Here's a little story about why you should your common boxes.

Today I had a few people over to since Altered Name still is holding tournaments yet. Damping Engine asks me if I have any Rushing Rivers. I say yes but they are in one of many boxes. So we get to looking and I open a box that I haven't looked in for a long while. Well I get to looking threw the Blue section when I happen to find a SEA DRAKE. I'm like holy shit, I didn't even know I had one. It has to have been in there at least 3 years or so. That just made my week.

SillyMetalGAT
09-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Here's a little story about why you should your common boxes.

Today I had a few people over to since Altered Name still is holding tournaments yet. Damping Engine asks me if I have any Rushing Rivers. I say yes but they are in one of many boxes. So we get to looking and I open a box that I haven't looked in for a long while. Well I get to looking threw the Blue section when I happen to find a SEA DRAKE. I'm like holy shit, I didn't even know I had one. It has to have been in there at least 3 years or so. That just made my week.

Lucky bastard

The Marco
09-10-2006, 10:12 PM
They did after all reprint tidings in 9th ed which became a very powerful card in type 2. However it is one of the only cards originally printed in portal to be reprinted. I highly dought that they will reprint sea drake because it may be too powerful of a card in type 2. With incinerate and volcanic hammer soon to be in the format maybe. They almost reprinted thunder dragon after all.

I play a lot of competitive type 2 and although Sea Drake would be quite powerful, I do not think it would be broken in Standard when they reprint Incinerate in 10th... It all comes down to all the acceleration and free counter magic in Legacy that make the card that good. I'm not saying it would not be in every deck playing blue but I'm not convinced it would be too broken.
They should definitely reprint some of the portal cards, some are great cards that would never see play otherwise (and I do own a playset of Drakes, but for the sake of the game it would just be better to reprint them rather the ban them).

dahcmai
09-11-2006, 11:00 AM
How much did you pay per pack?

Like $5 a pack. He still has Portal 1 and Starter too. I keep trying to pull a Grim tutor every so often but that ones a bitch to pack. At least Sea drake is an uncommon, I'll eventually get number 4. Our store tries to keep everything in stock. I bought some Legends and Antiquities off him once and he still has everything from Revised up. He told me if he does well this summer he'll have a nice unopened box of Arabian to crack this winter. We're big in Legacy and Vintage so people still buy them. I mean how much fun it would be to pack some Juzams even if they are kind of useless lol. Standard has a bad name here luckily, though there is a few people who show up for Friday night magic.

JeremM
09-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Sounds like a neat store. The one nearest to me back home had maybe 20 Standard players, 5 Extended, 2 Vintage, and one Legacy (me), so finding anything for trade was impossible.

I mean how much fun it would be to pack some Juzams even if they are kind of useless lol.

Doesn't stop them from costing more than a AN Serendib + Sea Drake. Historical values really do have pull; even though Mirror Universe is useless post-Sixth Edition, they still go for $40 each.

mikekelley
09-11-2006, 01:33 PM
My store is mostly all standard with one or two legacy players. I brought up the idea of a legacy tournament and got shunned, heh. I have to drive if I want to play Legacy.

mikekelley
09-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Picked one up for a dollar the other day.

Oh the joy of unknowing stores

psu42
09-18-2006, 04:59 PM
I picked up a playset for $4 and sold them on ebay for $130.

And they don't need to reprint cards just because their secondary market value is high, that is life, deal with it.

mikekelley
09-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Pm'd you about the proxies