PDA

View Full Version : Almost Monoblack Control

Elfrago
09-01-2006, 06:36 AM
A few days ago I started thinking on building a MBC deck, but I wanted a deck wich didn't have the tipical weakness of a monoblack deck (inability to deal with enchantments and artifacts).
So I came up with this:

Lands
4 Bayou
3 Wasteland
4 Mishra's Factory
6 Swamp (1)
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Barren Moor

Draw Engine
2 Sensei's Divining Top
3 Phyrexian Arena

Other
3 Guardian Idol
2 Life from the Loam

Creature Removal
3 Consume Spirit
4 Innocent Blood
3 Infest
3 Smother

Discard and Problem Solvers
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Duress
2 Pernicious Deed
2 Withered Wretch
2 Naturalize

Duress & Hymn to Tourach are self explanatory.
Innocent Blood, Smother and Infest are the cards used for creature kill. I choosed the cheapest(in mana) avaiable.
Naturalize is the card wich allows us to get rid of artifact and enchantments, something will eventually get past our discard and this will deal with that.
Deed fills the role of killing creatures, destroy enchantments and reset button, only 2 of them becouse they are a bit slow.
Phyrexian arena is our main draw engine, top is the second (combined with fetchalnds and LFTL it can do wonders), and Life From The Loam with cicling lands is the third.
Wretch allows us to deal with graveyard, otherwise a single Eternal Dragon (or Gigapede or the like) wuold ruin us.
life from the loam does wonders with Cycling lands, Fetchlands, Mishras, and Wastelands.
Our kill is made up of Idols, Mishra's and Consume Spirit. It's extremely slow but your oppente usually gonna have an hard time dealing with lands wich keeps coming back (unless StPed, of course).

Matchups and Sideboard coming later, since now I've only played a few games versus my wn Rifter, and thanks to discard they're having a bad time.

Any kind of suggestion is well accepted, especially some ideas for a faster kill!

Cavius The Great
09-01-2006, 08:21 AM
A few days ago I started thinking on building a MBC deck, but I wanted a deck wich didn't have the tipical weakness of a monoblack deck (inability to deal with enchantments and artifacts).

Mono-black always had the ability to deal with enchantments and artifacts. Ever heard of Oblivion Stone and Nevinyrral's Disk? :tongue:

legacyplayer0
09-01-2006, 09:37 AM
No Cabal Coffers sounds like an awfuly bad choice. Is LFtL really strong enough to make that worth it? It seems like with so few ways to draw cards and no Exploration, that LFtL would be far from broken. You should at least play Night's Whisper and Skeletal Scrying.

Elfrago
09-02-2006, 03:27 AM
Have to write this AGAIN, firefox sucks...

@Cavius: Stone & Disk are subottimal choices to deal with enchantments.

@Legacyplayer: I don't like coffers, becouse if you build your deck around them a single wasteland is gonna ruin you. LftL fills the role of crucible allowing you to play lands back from the yard. Why not Crucible? Becouse Crucible can easily be destroyed, LftL keeps comng back. Scrying and wispers hurt too much togheter with Arena, Top fills the role of additional draw keeping the shit out of your hand.

I'm gonna use this deck at a small tournament today, I'll post the results.

Cavius The Great
09-02-2006, 05:18 AM
Have to write this AGAIN, firefox sucks...

@Cavius: Stone & Disk are subottimal choices to deal with enchantments.

@Legacyplayer: I don't like coffers, becouse if you build your deck around them a single wasteland is gonna ruin you. LftL fills the role of crucible allowing you to play lands back from the yard. Why not Crucible? Becouse Crucible can easily be destroyed, LftL keeps comng back. Scrying and wispers hurt too much togheter with Arena, Top fills the role of additional draw keeping the shit out of your hand.

I'm gonna use this deck at a small tournament today, I'll post the results.

Oblivion Stone and Nevinyrral's Disk are not sub-optimal choices when you don't have to splash another color weakening the manabase. And yes, Cabal Coffers is very neccessary. Your deck seems interesting, but I don't think you have enough ways to abuse LftL in the deck. You don't even have Chainer's Edict which would have some sort of synergy with LftL.

Elfrago
09-02-2006, 05:27 AM
Oblivion Stone and Nevinyrral's Disk are not sub-optimal choices when you don't have to splash another color weakening the manabase. And yes, Cabal Coffers is very neccessary. Your deck seems interesting, but I don't think you have enough ways to abuse LftL in the deck. You don't even have Chainer's Edict which would have some sort of synergy with LftL.

Right for the mana base, but if I still think that Disk & Stones are subottimal & too slow.

Edict is not there becuse I wanted quick creature kill cards, to deal with goblins, and Innocent Blood fits the role best. Aniway its worth testing.

Cavius The Great
09-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Right for the mana base, but if I still think that Disk & Stones are subottimal & too slow.

Edict is not there becuse I wanted quick creature kill cards, to deal with goblins, and Innocent Blood fits the role best. Aniway its worth testing.

Elfrago, I actually have a MBC w/green deck that I've been working on myself for the last few weeks. My version is alot different from yours though, my version is based around abusing Phyrexian Etchings and Cadaverous Bloom. It's a pretty sick combo once you get the engine going. I haven't tested it yet but it looks great on paper. Let me know if you want the decklist. :wink:

P.S. - You really can't abuse Consume Spirit without Cabal Coffers bro. MBC isn't MBC without 4 Coffers.

advisory6000
09-02-2006, 08:03 AM
The way the deck is now your going to lose to all the tier one decks. You need Coffers period and Staff because it's the best in a mono control for 1.5 imo with Coffers. Read this http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/10361.html But i have better deck list if you want to looks at it message me and i'll send to you.

Elfrago
09-02-2006, 03:45 PM
@Cavius: Sure Bro! Decklists are always welcomed. Spirit is there to deal the last points of damage and to get back some life taken by Arena. Of course I'm not gonna make a spirit for 20, but today usually I can use it for 6-7 life.

@Advisory: First the "my deck rocks, yours Sucks!" approach is not gonna help anybody. Second, today at a local tournament I managed to get in the Top 4 ( 20 people) undefeated defeating Goblins twice.

Today at a local tournament I placed in the top 4 (we'll finish the tournament on monday, since we we're late and I know the other guys in the top 4). There were 20 People, of wich 2-3 were kids.
I won aganist Elves (2-1), U/B Mill (2-1), Goblins (2-1), and 1-1 split with another Goblin. In the top 8 faced Goblin again and won 2-1.

My SB was:
3x enginered plague (vs Goblins)
3x unmask (vs Control decks)
3x Choke (aganist Blue decks, especially Landstill wich still runs wild in my area)
1x Gigapede (only got 1, aganist control)
2x Naturalize (aganist almost everything)
2x Tormod Crypt (aganist *****)
1x Infest (the fourth one, aganist aggro)

On monday I'm gonna face UWG Threshold, so we'll got some testing witha nother Tier1.

Cavius The Great
09-03-2006, 03:20 AM
@Cavius: Sure Bro! Decklists are always welcomed. Spirit is there to deal the last points of damage and to get back some life taken by Arena. Of course I'm not gonna make a spirit for 20, but today usually I can use it for 6-7 life.

@Advisory: First the "my deck rocks, yours Sucks!" approach is not gonna help anybody. Second, today at a local tournament I managed to get in the Top 4 ( 20 people) undefeated defeating Goblins twice.

Today at a local tournament I placed in the top 4 (we'll finish the tournament on monday, since we we're late and I know the other guys in the top 4). There were 20 People, of wich 2-3 were kids.
I won aganist Elves (2-1), U/B Mill (2-1), Goblins (2-1), and 1-1 split with another Goblin. In the top 8 faced Goblin again and won 2-1.

My SB was:
3x enginered plague (vs Goblins)
3x unmask (vs Control decks)
3x Choke (aganist Blue decks, especially Landstill wich still runs wild in my area)
1x Gigapede (only got 1, aganist control)
2x Naturalize (aganist almost everything)
2x Tormod Crypt (aganist *****)
1x Infest (the fourth one, aganist aggro)

On monday I'm gonna face UWG Threshold, so we'll got some testing witha nother Tier1.

Elfrago, have you considered Soul Spike in replace of Consume Spirit? It seems to have more synergy with Phyrexian Arena.

Aggro_zombies
09-03-2006, 05:43 AM
MBC isn't MBC without 4 Coffers.
*cough* Pox? *cough*

On a slightly more serious note, this list looks interesting, but I'm wondering how this is better than either Train Wreck or, well, Pox. Being a big fan (and proud pilot) of the latter, I'm probably rather biased in that direction. Mono-black offers you very effective ways to deal with just about everything, and there are very few enchantments or artifacts that really screw you - and for the few that there are, you have discard. So I'm not sure splashing is really necessary, especially when it opens you up to things like color screw and Wasteland vulnerability.

Just sayin'.

Poron
09-03-2006, 05:58 AM
You need a better WC, indeed.. how you're going to win if your opponent plays 4 Rishadan Port, 4 Wasteland and Tormod's Crypt by side?

(a goblin deck plays all these 12 cards, and goblin is very common, you know..)

I have the same problem in my deck, grrr. I haven't a WC

Elfrago
09-03-2006, 07:29 AM
You need a better WC, indeed.. how you're going to win if your opponent plays 4 Rishadan Port, 4 Wasteland and Tormod's Crypt by side?

(a goblin deck plays all these 12 cards, and goblin is very common, you know..)

I have the same problem in my deck, grrr. I haven't a WC

I agree but I can't a WC wich hoses both Stp and Wrath. And that's is what I need.

Tacosnape
09-03-2006, 01:34 PM
This is the least optimal thing ever.

Here's some things to think about.

1. Goblins is going to roll you constantly every time ever.
2. Your manabase is awful. You auto-die to Wasteland unless you draw LFTL, and even then it's very possible for you to simply not hit the green to cast it.
3. Your clocks are incredibly slow. Combo is going to be able to recover easily from Duress and Hymn, and since you don't run Regrowth, decks are going to recover.
4. You don't run enough board sweepers or ways to deal with high-toughness creatures. Decks like Faerie Stompy will roll you, because you can't touch their threats with Infest or Consume Spirit, and you aren't going to draw 2-3 Innocent Bloods every game.

Elfrago
09-04-2006, 03:45 PM
This is the least optimal thing ever.

Here's some things to think about.

1. Goblins is going to roll you constantly every time ever.
2. Your manabase is awful. You auto-die to Wasteland unless you draw LFTL, and even then it's very possible for you to simply not hit the green to cast it.
3. Your clocks are incredibly slow. Combo is going to be able to recover easily from Duress and Hymn, and since you don't run Regrowth, decks are going to recover.
4. You don't run enough board sweepers or ways to deal with high-toughness creatures. Decks like Faerie Stompy will roll you, because you can't touch their threats with Infest or Consume Spirit, and you aren't going to draw 2-3 Innocent Bloods every game.

Sure, Yeah, Blablabla... in fact I defeated goblin twice at a tournamnet and today I managed to get a 2-0 win aganist UWG ********.
The only point I, completely, agree is the number 3( but there is no combo in my metagame:tongue: ).