PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] WUG Beats

Durahan
09-01-2006, 01:26 PM
This deck started when I wanted to make a fun aggro deck, and I didn't feel like just playing green and white, so I decided to add blue into the mix.

//Creatures
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Silver Knight
4 Troll Ascetic
4 Trygon Predator
4 Serendib Efreet

//Spells
3 Swords to Plowshares
3 Armageddon
3 Armadillo Cloak
3 Rancor
3 Curiosity
3 Aether Vial

//Lands
4 Windswept Heath
4 Tropical Island
4 Savannah
4 Tundra
1 Forest
1 Plains

Card Explanations:

Llanowar Elves/Birds of Paradise- Most of my beats are at 3cc so I found that it was important to drop a first turn elves or birds to play that turn 2 troll/efreet/trygon. Elves and birds are also real nice to have in play for an armageddon.

Silver Knight- In an aggro deck that runs white, Silver Knight is a given. A 2/2 first striker with pro red that completely shuts down piledriver for 2 mana? Sounds good to me.

Troll Ascetic- A beatstick that opponents can't target, but I can enchant all I want? I love this card.

Serendib Efreet- A solid 3/4 flyer at 3cc.

Trygon Predator- A 3cc flyer that destroys artifacts and enchantments.

Swords to Plowshares- I don't think this card really needs an explanation anymore.

Armageddon- I'm running elves, birds, and vials. Armageddon will rarely hurt me much. It's such a powerful card to resolve against control and combo.

Armadillo Cloak/Rancor- Trample and pump for my creatures. I just love the life gain off the cloak as well.

Curiosity- I was originally wanting to run SoFI but I decided to run this instead. I love how it only costs one blue and it draws me a card every turn. Also, enchant creatures won't get owned by goblin tinkerer in the goblin matchup.

Aether Vial- With almost all of my beats at 3cc and the fact that I run armageddon, vial is just too good.

I realize my mana base will get owned by wasteland. I can probably get away with not running tundras and replacing those with basic lands, but not many people run wastelands in my meta, so I figured I might as well just run the tundras as well.

As for sideboard, I wanted to do some extensive testing before coming up with a SB list. Ideas on this would be helpful as well.

Anyway, the list I've come up with so far. Suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure I have overlooked many things.

Bardo
09-01-2006, 01:47 PM
A few things, but this is just strictly inferior to UGW Threshold. I figured I'd just get that out of the way.

But I've fooled around with this deck just for fun, and it's pretty bad, but also kinda fun in the right (bad) environment. Here's my version:

Legacy Blue/White/Green Zoo
by Bardo

4 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
2 Savannah Lions
4 Watchwolf
3 Troll Ascetic
3 Serendib Efreet

4 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Rancor

4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Psionic Blast

4 Tropical Island
4 Savannah
4 Tundra
4 Windswept Heath
1 Flooded Strand
2 Plains
2 Forest
1 Island

I don't advocate this deck or anything.

As for your's, I don't like all of the 3-ofs, especially StP. Curiosity seems weak since only your 3cc dudes fly. You don't have enough (any) card drawing to run 18 lands; I recommend going up to 20-22. And Vial seems unnecessary with your mana elves/birds.

But, it's not a bad start.

Watcher487
09-01-2006, 01:54 PM
I actually kinda like the deck. But I do have a couple of questions for ya.

- Why are you more worried about Goblin Tinkerer when Goblin Incinerator ends up being a 3+ for 1 with Curiosity and Cloak?

- Why are you playing Armageddon in a light mana-base deck? You are really only playing 26 mana sources (including Elves and Birds) and I have never seen it useful in Legacy.

- Have you considered Plaxcaster Frogling or Gaea's Skyfolk in your build?

- How has Aether Vial been for you... Considering that you don't play any real creature tricks and most of your creatures need to be countered by Threshold anyway. Is it worth keeping in the deck?

Currently I have a build similar to this featuring Survival of the Fittest w/ the only Non-Creature cards being 4 Survival 4 Vials and 4 Sword of Fire/Ice. Do you think that this deck might have some benefit from adding Survival to the deck?

Bardo
09-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Don't misunderstand me, it's "cool," so I like it too; it's just not "good." Gobins will just run this over, storm-combo will rape it and not bother to use a lubricant and better aggro control (Thresh, Madness) will just counter the important stuff and run over everything else.

In any event, I don't think Survival would hurt. Using Durahan's list:

+4 SotF
+1 Squee
+1 Genesis
+1 Wonder
+1 StP
+1 Rancor
-3 Armageddon
-3 Armadillo Cloak
-3 Curiosity

But this deck desperately needs more land.

legacyplayer0
09-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Armadillo Cloak is pretty cool, but Rancor and Curiosity seem awfuly week compared to Sword of Fire and Ice and Umezawa's Jitte, especially considering the face that your mana exceleration makes them no harder to cast.

Elfrago
09-02-2006, 03:30 AM
Silver can be bad with the WW cassting cost.

Also you can try Meddling Mage.

Cavius The Great
09-02-2006, 12:29 PM
A few things, but this is just strictly inferior to UGW Threshold. I figured I'd just get that out of the way.

But I've fooled around with this deck just for fun, and it's pretty bad, but also kinda fun in the right (bad) environment. Here's my version:

Legacy Blue/White/Green Zoo
by Bardo

4 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
2 Savannah Lions
4 Watchwolf
3 Troll Ascetic
3 Serendib Efreet

4 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Rancor

4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Psionic Blast

4 Tropical Island
4 Savannah
4 Tundra
4 Windswept Heath
1 Flooded Strand
2 Plains
2 Forest
1 Island

I don't advocate this deck or anything.

As for your's, I don't like all of the 3-ofs, especially StP. Curiosity seems weak since only your 3cc dudes fly. You don't have enough (any) card drawing to run 18 lands; I recommend going up to 20-22. And Vial seems unnecessary with your mana elves/birds.

But, it's not a bad start.

Bardo, I don't know why you said your deck sucks, your deck looks incredible. Have you had bad results in tournies with it or something?

Bardo
09-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Armadillo Cloak is pretty cool, but Rancor and Curiosity seem awfuly week compared to Sword of Fire and Ice and Umezawa's Jitte, especially considering the face that your mana exceleration makes them no harder to cast.

At 20% the cost of SoFI (3+2), Rancor lets you do some serious damage and still be able to drop dudes and do other things with your mana for a turn. The deck is already slow enough, and SoFI makes things even slower--even though it's a freaking house when it sticks.

In any event, consider the following:

Turn 1: Isamaru/Lions
Turn 2: Brainstorm, Rancor; swing for 4
Turn 3: Serendib Efreet/Troll Ascetic; swing for 4
Turn 4: Jitte and equip Efreet/Ascetic

That's a great start, somewhat one-dimensional (aggro beatdown) but it's not bad. SoFI greatly fucks up your turn 3 and 4 plays, so it's closer to a turn 5 play.

Silver can be bad with the WW cassting cost.

Also you can try Meddling Mage.

Meddling Mage is quite poor in an aggro deck like this. Galina's Knight would probably be better. Thresh likes him since he stalls your opponent's "big plays" while you beat with Werebear (4-power) and Mongoose (3-power). As a 2/2 for UW, Meddling Mage--my favorite card of all time--doesn't really help all that much, though keeping Wrath or Deed from being played is certainly nice, so maybe.

Bardo, I don't know why you said your deck sucks, your deck looks incredible. Have you had bad results in tournies with it or something?

I didn't say it sucks. It's both "cool" and "not bad," but that isn't the same as "good" for the reasons I listed above.

Gobins will just run this over, storm-combo will rape it and not bother to use a lubricant and better aggro control (Thresh, Madness) will just counter the important stuff and run over everything else.

That's it, in a nutshell.