PDA

View Full Version : [Announcement] 10-14-06 Atlantis/TideCon Magic Legacy MOX JET Tournament

atlantiscomics
09-02-2006, 12:08 AM
10-14-06 Atlantis/TideCon Magic Legacy MOX JET Tournament

Where:
TideCon 2006
Clarion Hotel
1809 W. Mercury Blvd.
Hampton, VA 23666
forum.atlantis-comics.com (event details)
www.mid-atlanticcons.com/tidecon.html (convention details)

When: Saturday, October 14th 2006
Start Time: Noon
Entry Fee: 25.00

Event Details:
* Legacy (Type 1.5) Format
* Decklists are required
* Swiss rounds - 50 minutes per round
* The number of swiss rounds will based on attendance with a single elimination top 8.
* All Universal Tournament Rules and Magic Floor Rules are in effect for this event.

Prizes:
*1st Place: Unlimited Mox Jet
*2nd Place: 1 Booster Box of Magic or 80.00 Store Credit*
*3rd-4th Place: 18 Booster Packs of Magic or 40.00 Store Credit*

*Prizes are based on attendance of 25 players. Prize payouts may be adjusted up or down based on final number of players.

Every player that attends will get one DCI Foil or Promo card for entering.

We will also be running 8 player single elimination sanctioned Time Spiral drafts. Side events will start as soon as we have 8 players signed up.

This event will be held at a local RPGA game convention. If you are there to play in the Mox Tournament you will not need to pay a fee to get into the convention. There will also be special discounts on hotel rooms at the convention. Mention TideCon for a special rate of 64.00 a night.

URABAHN
09-02-2006, 08:35 AM
12am start time? So, midnight?

Anarky87
09-02-2006, 10:40 AM
12am start time? So, midnight?

Probably meant P.M. But wouldn't that be a wicked start time if it was at midnight? Down like 15 energy drinks and then try to play. It'd be like watching Muhammad Ali trying to play Magic.

atlantiscomics
09-02-2006, 06:55 PM
I fixed the start time. Midnight would be pretty cool. That way at the end we could trade the Mox for a nap. :)

Canook
09-02-2006, 07:14 PM
I'm down. Anybody need a ride? I'm not one to charge any gas, unless it's Calosso.

URABAHN
09-03-2006, 07:37 AM
We'll probably stay at Obfuscate Freely's place, canook. These VA players won't decide to go down until the night before, but we'll be there.

fear_these
09-05-2006, 08:11 AM
All you northern Virginia players need to come down so we can have a good turn out and a competitive tourney.

URABAHN
09-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Hopefully there will be more than 7 players + 10 Nothern VA players this year.

Nightmare
09-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Given my current run on traveling for tournaments, I would be down, but unfortunately I'm lacking in a) a Ride and b) this weekend being free.

09-06-2006, 12:19 AM
See you guys there...

Oh, and forget your Resets. I have no desire to see them.

atlantiscomics
09-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Hopefully there will be more than 7 players + 10 Nothern VA players this year.

You aren't referring to one of our events are you? The smallest turnout we have had was for a type 2 Ancestrall Recall event and that still had 19 players...mostly, if not all, local.

Our Legacy events usually range from 30 to 40 players minimum. The Mana Drain tourney had 43 if I recall correctly. Either way it's still a Mox Jet. :) And since this one's in Hampton at a hotel the travel time won't be as bad for northern players. The location should cut off about 45 mins to an hour of travel time. There will be plenty of space and there will be Time Spiral side drafts too.

URABAHN
09-23-2006, 04:54 PM
I might be confusing my tournaments, but my fellow NoVA players attended the 4x Mana Drain tournament at Atlantis Comics last year. I remember 10 of us and 7 of them. I remember the Deep6er winning store credit and told he could not spend it on Magic product. He bought 20 bottles of Yoo-Hoo chocolate drink. I remember Mad Zur making it to the finals of the tournament and being told that English Mana Drains as prize were out of the question since turnout was so low.

atlantiscomics
09-27-2006, 09:51 PM
I might be confusing my tournaments, but my fellow NoVA players attended the 4x Mana Drain tournament at Atlantis Comics last year. I remember 10 of us and 7 of them. I remember the Deep6er winning store credit and told he could not spend it on Magic product. He bought 20 bottles of Yoo-Hoo chocolate drink. I remember Mad Zur making it to the finals of the tournament and being told that English Mana Drains as prize were out of the question since turnout was so low.

Our Mana Drain tournament had 43 players. 17 of them might have been from out of town but we still had a good amount of locals. I do remember somebody buying lots of Yoohoo. We did have 2 different Mana Drain events. The first we gave out the set because I remember TeenieBopper offered a draw to one of our guys after beating him game 1 in top 4. Our guy declined and proceeded to lose again and get no drain. :) This is the thread here.
http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799&page=4&highlight=atlantis

The second event had a lower turnout according to the thread here.
http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1733&highlight=atlantis
And apparently David Gearhart did buy lots of Yoohoo. I don't remember saying no Magic products with credit but that was almost a year ago. I may have said no magic packs but I don't think I said that. I wondered why he was buying all that random stuff. :)

Either way as long as we have 20 players there will be a Mox Jet given away. 2nd-8th will just depend on total number of players. I do remember that both times we gave away sets of English Drains. I generally try to make sure that the main prize doesn't change from what was advertised...unless it gets better.

atlantiscomics
10-07-2006, 09:17 PM
It's next weekend. Woot!

URABAHN
10-09-2006, 11:10 AM
This Saturday, homies. Let's kick it at the Hatfield stronghold.

atlantiscomics
10-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Surprise! I have picked up a few more moxes so now if you win you can pick the color of mox you want. I will have 1 of each mox and a big ass guy to watch my back...so don't get any ideas! Winner can choose whichever they want.

atlantiscomics
10-14-2006, 10:58 PM
I want to thank everybody for coming down and playing. 21 players was the grand total. I'm sorry I couldn't be there but all my employees except me had emergency type things that meant I had to keep the store open.

The guys I had there gave me some feedback about a few things.

1.Legacy players could care less about silly type 2 packs. If the event had been at our store I would have done a store credit and people could have picked up some duals or other random cards/things they wanted. Next time the event will be either at our store OR we should have our entire magic inventory online and we can issue online gift certificates for the winners.

2.With 21 players you pretty much had to get 1st or second to make it worth a long drive. The credit thing may help in that respect. Perhaps next time we can set up a top 8 prize list where if 25 or less play then larger prizes go to 2-4 and 5-8 don't get as much. If we get 26-40 then we could branch out to 5-8 prizes and make them a bit better.

3.Would something like Workshops or duals be better than a Mox for a Legacy event? Maybe do a workshop for first and give out duals for 2nd?

Also this event had the expanded overhead of me having to pay the convention folks for their space. Overall I was happy with the event even though I would have preferred to talk to everybody in person to get opinions and suggestions. So if anybody has any constructive criticism or suggested improvements I'm all ears. I'd also like to know what people liked and disliked even if it's something small.

NANTUKO_SHADY
10-14-2006, 11:33 PM
Who won teh Mox???

atlantiscomics
10-15-2006, 12:09 AM
David "King of all Chocolate Drinks" Gearhardt won the Mox Sapphire.

quicksilver
10-15-2006, 09:48 AM
I want to thank everybody for coming down and playing. 21 players was the grand total. I'm sorry I couldn't be there but all my employees except me had emergency type things that meant I had to keep the store open.

The guys I had there gave me some feedback about a few things.

1.Legacy players could care less about silly type 2 packs. If the event had been at our store I would have done a store credit and people could have picked up some duals or other random cards/things they wanted. Next time the event will be either at our store OR we should have our entire magic inventory online and we can issue online gift certificates for the winners.

2.With 21 players you pretty much had to get 1st or second to make it worth a long drive. The credit thing may help in that respect. Perhaps next time we can set up a top 8 prize list where if 25 or less play then larger prizes go to 2-4 and 5-8 don't get as much. If we get 26-40 then we could branch out to 5-8 prizes and make them a bit better.

3.Would something like Workshops or duals be better than a Mox for a Legacy event? Maybe do a workshop for first and give out duals for 2nd?

Also this event had the expanded overhead of me having to pay the convention folks for their space. Overall I was happy with the event even though I would have preferred to talk to everybody in person to get opinions and suggestions. So if anybody has any constructive criticism or suggested improvements I'm all ears. I'd also like to know what people liked and disliked even if it's something small.

A nice event. It is true packs are not a big draw for legacy players, store credit is nice. What would also work pretty good is giving some fetch lands out as lower prizes, like maybe instead of 3 packs for 4-8, a choice of a fetch. Also a mox isn't that big of a draw in Legacy since we can't even play it in our format, it's basically jsut cash. Duals have been a successful draw lately. But overall a nice time.

ShaheenSoorani
10-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Umm David Gearhart did NOT win the Mox. He split with me thanks. =)

Deep6er
10-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Umm David Gearhart did NOT win the Mox. He split with me thanks. =)

Hey, I beat the ever loving shit out of you TWICE in the tournament. Seriously, you didn't have a chance. You're lucky I'm such an awesome guy. :)

ShaheenSoorani
10-15-2006, 04:23 PM
HAH! Better lucky than good my unskilled friend.

I'll see you on the tour :)

NANTUKO_SHADY
10-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Wait.. so if you two split, what exactly did you win out of it Shaheen? Gearhart says how he won the Mox, so I was just wondering how the prize split played out.

foursquare
10-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Shaheen lets see the new list!!!

ShaheenSoorani
10-15-2006, 09:44 PM
The list is on my tourny report thread entilted, mox tournament 1st place split or something like that.

I made $175 bucks, that gearhart payed me for the Mox.

atlantiscomics
10-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Next time we do a big Legacy event we should have all of our singles online in our new storefront. I will most likely offer store credit for locals or online gift certificates for non locals. Unless it's at the store of course and then people can just get what they want right then. :)