PDA

View Full Version : Words of Wisdom

Durahan
09-02-2006, 04:14 AM
Ok say you're playing against solidarity and you happen to have a brain freeze in your hand. Then, they combo off and they brain freeze you so you have zero cards in your library. When they play words of wisdom, if you brain freeze them in response, would they lose first, because they have to draw first, or does the game check for state-based effects after the spell resolves completely.

I feel like the person who played the words of wisdom would lose, because the card clearly states draw two cards THEN opponents draw a card. But a friend of mine was talking about how he thought the game checks for state-based effects after the entire spell resolves so it wouldn't matter who drew first in this situation.

parallax
09-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Ok say you're playing against solidarity and you happen to have a brain freeze in your hand. Then, they combo off and they brain freeze you so you have zero cards in your library. When they play words of wisdom, if you brain freeze them in response, would they lose first, because they have to draw first, or does the game check for state-based effects after the spell resolves completely.

I feel like the person who played the words of wisdom would lose, because the card clearly states draw two cards THEN opponents draw a card. But a friend of mine was talking about how he thought the game checks for state-based effects after the entire spell resolves so it wouldn't matter who drew first in this situation.

Neither player loses until state-based effects check. This happens after the spell has completely resolved, but before either player receives priority. That game is a draw.