PDA

View Full Version : Shinders Legacy Tournament October 21, 2006

Kyachi
09-02-2006, 12:46 PM
I believe this information is right, I'll correct it as I know more.

Shinders in Maplewood, MN

October 21st

Prizes for first are ten duals (I believe). Officially they are revised, but older ones may be thrown in.

I'll update with times, entry fee, and other prizes when I know more.

Aseraphim
09-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Great...this is posted the day before I leave for Canada:(

Goblin Snowman
09-02-2006, 01:57 PM
I heard 2nd is either 1 of each fetch or Rav Land, I really don't know yet though.

tpnp
09-03-2006, 09:56 AM
I can't wait to hear more information on this tourney, I've been waiting on a Shinders tourney for a long time now.

Kyachi
09-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Updated Info!!!

First place is One of each Dual Land
Second is a set of Forces
Third/Fourth is a booster box of a current t2 set (Maybe Time Spiral?)
Third/Fourth - Resets

Third/Fourths are kind of unclear. Grim Tutor may make an appearance as one prize.

For more information, keep posted at www.shinders.com

Or ask me, and I'll try and find out.

Vardaman
09-15-2006, 10:19 AM
But will it be sanctioned?

n00bas4urus_r3x
09-18-2006, 01:38 PM
will i have a chance to resolve a chant?

Kyachi
09-19-2006, 08:31 PM
But will it be sanctioned?

I can't speak for Shinders, but there has been talk of working on a sanctioning for the chain. Whether that will take effect by the time this rolls around or not is unseen.

Kyachi
09-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Alright, this is as per the flyer distributed by Shinders.

Saturday October 21st

Shinders Maplewood

Sign-up from 11 AM to 11:45 AM

Swiss Pairings

$10 entry

Prizes:

First Place- Set of Dual Lands (10 lands) The visual poster has a Beta Taiga, Alpha Savannah and an Unlimited Plateau.
Second Place- Playset of Force of Wills (4 Cards)
Third Place- PlaySet of Foil Wastelands (4 Cards)
Fourth Place- One Grim Tutor (1 Card)

I realize that the Grim Tutor is worth almost twice what the Third place prize is. I don't know what to say about this other than that.

The website is http://shinders.com/events/october06.html#maplemagic Feel free to visit there, or post questions here.

FallenOmnipotent
09-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Anyone know the meta-game? Any information regarding deck option/choices? In gernal, any information about players in the store?

JZ23
09-25-2006, 02:53 AM
Anyone know the meta-game? Any information regarding deck option/choices? In gernal, any information about players in the store?

Little red men everywhere!

Xero
09-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Little red men everywhere!

Not hardly, at least from my experience playing at that Shinders in their Wed. night tournaments. I play against alot of 9-11 Mono Green Stompy, RG Stompy, and various other random aggro decks. At least one person will bring Solidarity. Two of the most skilled players who go their regularirily play RGW Slide and UW Counterbalance control.

Kyachi
09-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Check the Tournament reports from the Monster Den tournament about a month ago on this forum. It'll likely be similar to that. At the tournament that I run, I see a few Goblins and Psychatog floating around mostly.

FallenOmnipotent
09-25-2006, 04:52 PM
:D I top 2 splitted that tourney
There was a significant display of Gobs, but alot of other decks too.

But wait, do you run Shinders Tournements? Or some other place?

(I wasn't sure by your avatar, but your the guy that plays VS as well with Ben right? And Jesus de bret (that's probably spelt wrong)?)

Kyachi
09-25-2006, 11:08 PM
I run the Crystal Shinders one on Sunday. The Avatar is one I found on the internet. Its a guy lighting a cigarette with a lightsaber. I thought it was really cool, but you can't see it on the avatar.

turbowing007
09-26-2006, 11:01 AM
"I realize that the Grim Tutor is worth almost twice what the Third place prize is. I don't know what to say about this other than that."

The Grim Tutor is slightly played, but not hideous. It's valued at $90. The Wastelands are valued at $20 each, so the Tutor ends up being slightly higher in value. Josh thought the prize placement was fine, but if enough people make enough noise we can always juggle the prize payout (it's been done before).

For the record, first place is: one mis-cut Revised Badlands, one Revised Bayou, one Unlimited Plateau, one Alpha Savannah, one Revised Scrubland, one Beta Taiga, one Revised Tropical Island, one Revised Tundra, one Revised Underground Sea, and one Revised Volcanic Island.

Sorry...no Grim Reminders this time around.

Sorry, part 2: This event is not sanctioned.

tpnp
09-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Sorry, part 2: This event is not sanctioned.
Yay! I can scrub out playing Angel Stompy again and not lose points.

Vardaman
09-26-2006, 04:07 PM
This sounds pretty good. What time does the store close? 40 minute rounds can be a pain. Even 45 minute rounds would be better. ;)

turbowing007
09-26-2006, 05:56 PM
This sounds pretty good. What time does the store close?

The tournament will be held outside the store, so if it runs past store closing it will be able to continue and finish.

Kyachi
09-26-2006, 11:32 PM
This sounds pretty good. What time does the store close? 40 minute rounds can be a pain. Even 45 minute rounds would be better. ;)

I tend to agree there. It allows for players to play lock decks and other control decks and not go to time.

turbowing007
09-27-2006, 12:11 PM
The only issue that might arise is if the Mall Management gets picky about is being in the mall too late after hours. If that's not an issue then I'm sure we can go 45 minnutes without a problem.

If it is, then it will have to be 40. I would have started things earlier that noon, but history has told me people like to sleep in on Saturday and that early starts = lower turnout.

turbowing007
09-27-2006, 12:14 PM
The only issue that might arise is if the Mall Management gets picky about is being in the mall...

Should read: ...picky about US being in the mall...

jodawe
09-27-2006, 03:41 PM
The tournament will be held outside the store, so if it runs past store closing it will be able to continue and finish.

It's going to be crowded. They better find some more tables and chairs. Some Wednesday nights people have to sit on the floor.

Citrus-God
09-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Sitting on the floor is not a good thing usually. It was never, ever a good thing. I did that before and it sucked...

jodawe
09-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Sitting on the floor is not a good thing usually. It was never, ever a good thing. I did that before and it sucked...

Like you're gonna show up anyways...

turbowing007
09-27-2006, 09:17 PM
It's going to be crowded. They better find some more tables and chairs. Some Wednesday nights people have to sit on the floor.

Yes...extra tables will be sent out.

Citrus-God
09-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Like you're gonna show up anyways...
I will. Only thing keeping me back is deciding what deck to play. Alec said he'll move away from School crap to playtest and practice with me.

Only reason why I'm motivated to show up is to see if you still play Magic... and to see if you still play Solidarity.

n00bas4urus_r3x
09-28-2006, 04:16 PM
i expect the meta will be fairly competative, with gobs, the game, train wreck possible, rifter, gro (heavy ugr), psychatogs, including hulk smash and burning tog, solidarity and spring tide, maybe frichorid, madness, angel stompy, RGSA and other survival varients, angel stax, and pikula.

all of the above decks i've seen played on wednesday nights at maple grove, and i expect many of these players to show up. there will probably also be a fair amount of rogue decks floating around, because minnesotans have nothing to do but build wierd decks in the north woods.

CynicalSquirrel
09-28-2006, 05:57 PM
I'd love to play this, but I'm pretty sure someone stole my RG Survival deck a few months ago, since I've been completely unable to locate it. :/

Kyachi
09-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Mostly minotaur tribal. Be prepared to needle calling didgeridoo more than once, or suffer the dire consequences of been hit with dub tahngarths.

n00bas4urus_r3x
09-29-2006, 01:00 AM
scryb sprites ftl...no, seriously, with might of the oaks, and righteousness

FallenOmnipotent
10-01-2006, 12:12 PM
gro (heavy ugr)
Wait, does that mean there's a lot of grow? Or just more R grow than there is W gro?

...I wanted to play the same deck again for this tourney...but that doesn't seem very smart with the change in meta-game.

Also, oct 21st is also states, right?

swishandamiss
10-01-2006, 04:21 PM
no i think US states is on 28th i was wrong

n00bas4urus_r3x
10-01-2006, 07:17 PM
gro is becoming a more popular deck in the meta, and in particular, there seems to be a lot of UGR gro.

Citrus-God
10-02-2006, 05:10 AM
Wait, does that mean there's a lot of grow? Or just more R grow than there is W gro?

...I wanted to play the same deck again for this tourney...but that doesn't seem very smart with the change in meta-game.

Also, oct 21st is also states, right?
Usually the same the 12 Burn version can handle the mirror quite well. It'll force any Gro player to play differently because of the burn... otherwise, it's just removal.

Also, expect a lot of Storm Combo like IGGy and Solidarity.

And yes... UGr Gro is pretty much the defining deck of MN... way before GP Philly.

n00bas4urus_r3x
10-03-2006, 12:53 AM
are there going to be additional prizes besides the top 4? door prizes would be nice if it isnt too much of a hastly...

Kyachi
10-03-2006, 12:57 AM
are there going to be additional prizes besides the top 4? door prizes would be nice if it isnt too much of a hastly...

A hearty handshake and a pat on the back.

n00bas4urus_r3x
10-03-2006, 06:52 PM
sour. guess who cant spell?

yup, thats me :cry:

Goblin Snowman
10-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Who's going to be playing what? I"m torn on Angel Stax for old time sake, 5/3, or tech. Does anyone else have a deck they're going to run?

Citrus-God
10-07-2006, 02:36 AM
Deciding between Solidarity, UGb and 4c Threshold.

n00bas4urus_r3x
10-08-2006, 08:08 PM
zoo or vial goblins for me. to poor and lazy to make anything else...

Vardaman
10-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Just thought I'd bump this thread to the 1st page since it's this Saturday.

turbowing007
10-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Unless there is a major objection, the Grim Tutor will be bumped up to second prize, and the FoWs and Wastelands will be moved to third and fourth prize.

Citrus-God
10-20-2006, 03:06 PM
How much store credit do you get if your in 5th-8th Place?

swishandamiss
10-20-2006, 04:08 PM
what time does it start and how many rounds is this?

Vardaman
10-20-2006, 05:27 PM
what time does it start and how many rounds is this?

Noon start time. The number of swiss rounds depends on attendance, etc.

link (http://www.shinders.com/events/october06.html#maplemagic)

FallenOmnipotent
10-21-2006, 12:57 PM
F***!!!

...I went to maplegrove instead of maplewood...

Xero
10-21-2006, 11:49 PM

And I drove into a maple tree :cry:

No, really I made top 8 with Vial Affinity, lost 2-0 to Solidarity, and then left.

FallenOmnipotent
10-21-2006, 11:54 PM
I acctually called that. I was talking to anti-american earlier and said that Ravager would do well. Did you play the berserk build? or non-berserk?

Kyachi
10-22-2006, 12:00 AM
And I drove into a maple tree :cry:

No, really I made top 8 with Vial Affinity, lost 2-0 to Solidarity, and then left.
You also left your twenty dollars worth of store credit for making top eight there. Call Josh at Maplewood if you want.

Xero
10-22-2006, 12:00 AM
No Berserk. UBR version with Fling and Atog. I went 5-1-1 in the Swiss, loosing to the Rock. I thought I did pretty well, but it sucks getting stomped in the first round of the finals...

You also left your twenty dollars worth of store credit for making top eight there. Call Josh at Maplewood if you want.

Crap. I was told that there was no prize for 5-8. Do you have his number?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it. Thanks.

Kyachi
10-22-2006, 12:37 AM
Here are top eight Decklists. I may become motivated and put up all lists if you guys really want, but I doubt it. Let me know if you want me to.

UGW Thresh- Froggy (As per his request...)

4 Force of will
4 Tropical Island
4 Werebear
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Brainstorm
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Serum Visions
3 Meddling Mage
3 Windswept Heat
3 Tundra
3 Daze
3 Counterspell
3 Mental Note
2 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
2 Pithing Needle
2 Island
1 Plains
1 Mystic Enforcer

Sideboard
4 Blue Elemental Blast
2 Naturalize
2 Energy Flux
2 Stifle
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Stabilizer
1 Circle of Protection: Red
1 Armageddon
1 Engineered Explosives

Angel Stompy- Eric Heaney

4 Soltari Priest
4 Silver Knight
4 Savannah Lions
4 Mother of Runes
4 Exalted Angel
1 Isamaru, Hound of Konda

4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Parallax Wave
3 Tithe
2 Disenchant
2 Mask of Memory
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
2 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Chrome Mox

1 Kor Haven
4 Ancient Tomb
12 Plains

Sideboard
4 Samurai of the Pale Curtain
4 Suppression Field
4 Rule of Law
3 Worship

Red Green Survival Advantage- Gabriel White

4 Troll Ascetic
4 Ravenous Baloth
3 Flametongue Kavu
1 Masticore
3 Eternal Witness
1 Anger
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 Genesis
1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Survival of the Fittest
3 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Burning Wish
1 Tinstreet Hooligan
4 Taiga
2 Mountain
4 Wooded Foothills
1 Windswept Heath
11 Forest

Sideboard
1 Hull Breach
1 Pyroclasm
1 Rolling Earthquake
1 Seeds of Innocence
1 Tsunami
1 Anarchy
1 Ruination
1 Goblin Sharpshooter
1 Loaming Shaman
1 Duplicant
1 Viridian Zealot
1 Shard Phoenix
3 Tormod's Crypt

Vial Affinity- Dru Peterson
4 Aether Vial
4 Arcbound Worker
4 Arcbound Ravager
4 Frogmite
4 Myr Enforcer
4 Disciple of the Vault
4 Chromatic Star
3 Cranial Plating
4 Thoughtcast
3 Fling
3 Ornithopter
3 Atog
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Great Furnace
3 Vault of Whispers
3 Darksteel Citadel
2 Glimmervoid

Sideboard
3 Pithing Needle
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Aether Spellbomb
2 Hydroblast
2 Blue Elemental Blast
1 Scrabbling Claws
1 Cranial Plating

Solidarity- Nick Monterofti(spelling?)

12 Island
3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
2 Flash of Insight
2 Brain Freeze
3 Cunning Wish
3 Turnabout
4 High Tide
4 Brainstorm
4 Opt
4 Impulse
4 Force of Will
4 Reset
4 Remand
4 Meditate

Sideboard
1 Turnabout
1 Stroke of Genius
1 Rebuild
1 Echoing Truth
1 Chain of Vapor
2 Brain Freeze
4 Disrupt
4 Hydroblast

UWB Scepter Control- Frank Ranallo

4 Tundra
4 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Brainstorm
4 Cunning Wish
4 Underground Sea
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Force of Will
4 Counterspell
4 Meddling Mage
4 Isochron Scepter
4 Flooded Strand
4 Shadowmage Infiltrator
4 Orim's Chant
1 Academy Ruins
3 Wasteland

Sideboard
1 Angel's Grace
2 Disenchant
1 Pulse of the Fields
3 Wrath of God
1 Mortify
1 Diabolic Edict
1 Sudden Death
1 Mind Bend
1 Trickbind
1 Wipe Away
1 Dissipate
1 Misdirection

Solidarity- Jeremy Zwirn

4 High Tide
4 Reset
3 Turnabout
4 Force of Will
4 Remand
2 Opt
1 Peek
4 Brainstorm
4 Impulse
3 Meditate
1 Three Wishes
3 Cunning Wish
2 Brain Freeze
1 Twincast
2 Flash of Insight
3 Flooded Strand
3 Polluted Delta
12 Island

Sideboard
4 Hydroblast
1 Blue Elemental Blast
1 Chain of Vapor
1 Echoing Truth
1 Rebuild
1 Stroke of Genius
1 Meditate
1 Turnabout
2 Brain Freeze
2 Disrupt

Zombie/Clerics- Jake Headley

4 Dark Ritual
4 Rotlung Reanimator
4 Dark Supplicant
4 Cabal Archon
4 Order of the Ebon Hand
4 Unearth
4 Duress
4 Hymn to Tourach
1 Scion of Darkness
3 Shepard of Rot
4 Withered Wretch
20 Swamp

Sideboard
4 Pithing Needle
4 Tormod's Crypt
4 Engineered Plague
1 Leyline of the Void
1 Perish
1 Dread of Night

Those are the Top 8. 73 people entered, and there were seven rounds of Swiss.
Hopefully we can get some people to write a few Tournament Reports here. Thanks to all who came out, and to Shinders for hosting and providing prizes. Hopefully we can get another one in the next few months or so.

Citrus-God
10-22-2006, 04:54 AM
F***!!!

I was looking for you at the tournament.... You werent here... I cried. Anyways, I played against the mirror. It was a guy from Dreamers, and he was running the exact same maindeck you ran at Monster Den.

As for my tournament report, I got 10th Place, and went 5-0-2.

I got there around 11 am-ish with my friend, and teammate, Alec Nordin. We met up with the other IcBElites Luke and Theo, and we debated on the Sideboard choices before sign-up. As the terrible player I am, I added in a 61st Card which happens to be an EE, because I didnt feel like cutting a Needle or Portent.

I also had a debate with myself if I want Meddling Mage in the Sideboard. After asking like 7 different people, I was like, "Why the hell should I listen to them? Fuck this, I'm cutting Mages from the board." Because of that, I had the most forgiving Sideboard this whole time. I got unlucky a few times, one through match-ups, another through not getting any lands after going through ten cards with Portent.

As for the list...

// Lands 17
3 Windswept Heath
3 Flooded Strand
4 Tundra
3 Tropical Island
1 Forest
3 Island

// Creatures 10
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Werebear
2 Mystic Enforcer

// Spells 34
4 Brainstorm
4 Serum Visions
4 Portent
4 Predict
3 Daze
3 Counterspell
4 Force of Will
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Pithing Needle
1 Engineered Explosives

// Sideboard 15
1 Mystic Enforcer
2 Engineered Explosives
3 Naturalize
3 Stifle
3 Hydroblast
3 Jotun Grunt

Round 1: Josh Wesley w/ Solidarity.

I know this guy. His like the best Solidarity player who plays at Maplewood. I dont care what anyone says, this guy is the best Solidarity player I have ever seen. I thought this guy would play Faerie Stompy, but his playing Solidarity instead...

Game 1: I went through a chain of cantrips to find some hard counters, and played Predict when his tapped out. I make an attempt to take him down with a Needle set on Flooded Strand, Goose' and a Bear, then he tries to go off in resp. I counter the untap effect, then he plays a Meditate, so I countered that too. He doesnt have enough mana to budget to play another spell, and I took Game 1 without Mages.

-4 S2P
-2 Enforcer

+3 Hydroblast
+3 Stifle

Game 2: Yeah... they have the Brain Freeze plan. So I decided to use the Stifle plan. He goes a little mana screwed, then I go insane with Jotun Grunt taking his Flash food. When I'm about to kill him for the win with a couple guys, he plays an untap effect without High Tide, and I counter it. He tries to Twincast it, but I counter it, so he FoWs, I FoW back, he Impulses, cant find an answer, he scoops. I show him my hand with a Stifle, Counterspell, and Daze in my hands afterwards.

Round 2 Bw Confidant

Game 1: In the words of Alix Hatfield, "Silly Black players giving Enforcer Threshold."

Game 2: "Silly black players giving Enforcer Threshold, and I went through a fuckton of hate."

Round 3 The Rock

ewwww............ I hate playing against Midgame and Board Control decks.

Game 1: He doesnt play White, and this is the coolest guy ever. He gets mana screwed because my Ninja deck cutting skills does it;s thang. We do a club techno beat while Enforcer does his Dance. I ended up singing Michael by Franz Ferdinand after my 2nd Enforcer somes into play.

Game 2: Same here. I continue to sing Michael, he claims that my asian Ninja deck cutting skills made him mana screw, and mulling down to 5.

Round 4: RGSA

ewwwww........ again.... another damn midgame deck.

Game 1: Needle on Survival. I win through combat.

Game 2: I got mana screwed, went through the whole deck with 2 Portents and cant find a land. *sigh

Game 3: I have Needle down on Survival... oops, I missed land drops number 3 and 4 because I kept a hand with Needle and no Cantrips.

Round 5: Threshold Mirror

This guy is from Dreamers. His playing the same build Fallen Omnipotent is playing. I was having trouble sitting down across from him because wastedlife always beats the mirror with that deck. Hopefully I'll get lucky.

Game 1: He burns me, and we trade some guys. I get an Enforcer and a Bear out, and weird stuff happens. I'm down to 6, and we continue combat goodness. I took him down with a Hadji, and if I must continue my story about how I'm going to describe Werebear, it's going to be what my friend put in her profile...

WuvMuffin72: I was a dead sexy annorexic photographer in Man-Vogue
WuvMuffin72: and hopeless romantic with big ambitions
WuvMuffin72: I was taking pictures of Michael
WuvMuffin72: He made get the most rock hard errection ever
WuvMuffin72: I was stright at the time
WuvMuffin72: before I laid eyes on him
WuvMuffin72: He asked me out for lunch one day
WuvMuffin72: I said yes
WuvMuffin72: My errection lasted 6 hours because of him
WuvMuffin72: Yes, I had trouble eating my clamchowder
WuvMuffin72: I couldnt help, but feel hopeless towards his guns
WuvMuffin72: He truely did get to exercise his right to bear arms.

Game 2:

He gets an early Crypt and a Goose'. I play a couple spells, and an EE for Zero to pressure him into popping the Crypt. We traded some guys here and there. I got Jotun Grunt, and I smashed him. He plays Scepter, I counter. I play Racist Nomad guy, he scoops. I play Brainstorm, get an EE to clear his Goose to make way for my men.

Round 6: Gabe White
I play against the guy who Top 8's. His so easy going. This guy is so awesome...

Game 1: I got Needled on Survival. I dont create a chain of cantrips, and I lose really badly. He goes Masticore, screw Survival, I got my graveyard engine going...

Game 2: Same as above, except I do make a chain of cantrips but I cant find an answer to SotF. He fetches a Loaming Shaman, and I lose... really badly.

After the game, he said that that was the only Threshold that ever lasted that long against his deck. I felt so much flattery. I love you Hatfields for making such a wonderful deck. I also had to correct people that what I'm playing is not Threshold, it's Gro, Gro has more momentum. Threshold just has Mental Note.

Round 7: Xue or Mr. X w/ Faerie Stompy
Let me quote Mr. Nightmare, "Chalice.... ewwwwww"

Game 1: He mulls like crazy. I counter all his men. I counter Chalice. I EE things that card 3cc. I pound him.

Game 2: Same as above but with more EEs.

I got 5-2... I feel sadness coming on. I wanna cry. But this was a very fun tournament. If they have another like this, I'm for sure I will win it.

Props:
Josh Wesley for playing again. You know you my best friend.
Jeremy Zwirn, Nick, Gabe, Jake, Eric, and Froggy for making Top 8.
Maplewood for having the locals win the whole shaz.
Portent and Predict for being awesome.
Jesse and Alix Hatifled, as well as the whole NoVa crew for building such an awesome and explosive deck.
Team IcBE.
Solidarity and Threshold. Shut Up, Virginia is not always for lovers, just more weird queers like Team Unicorn. I learned that theres nothing gay about a horse and a horn, but if you add them together, there's something gay.
Michael, Do You Want To, and Dark in the Matinee for making me like L. Wells.
Jake for making Top 8 with Clerics... so cool.

Slops:
Jotun Grunt. I would so much rather have Loaming Shaman over Grunt anyday.
Alec, Luke, and Theo for not doing so well... I wanted you guys to win...
Me for keeping bad hands against RGSA. It was so unexpected, I have no idea how to play against them.
Vial Goblins for not popping up. I would rather play against Gobs over any midgame deck anyday.
Me for not making Top 8, and that my Midgame dodge isnt on.
Sleight of Hand and Mental Note for not being able to chain into any of my cantrips.
People for saying I suck because I dont maindeck my Mages.

FallenOmnipotent
10-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Wow... I must say, super props to Jake Headley and Frank Ranallo.

Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir has been soo good in standard...I forgot about it in 1.5
And top 8ing with Cleric Zombies... That's just sexy.

Vardaman
10-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Hey, how'd the rest of top 8 go? I left while the semi-finals were still playing out.

Kyachi
10-22-2006, 08:12 PM
I don't totally Remember. Top four was Thresh v. Solidarity, and I don't remember who else was in the top four other than the other Solidarity. I apologize to whoever that was. I was inside working the register.

Not my fault.

Hopefully you all had a good time, and as a side note, would there be interest in doing a similar one in about three months?

Vardaman
10-22-2006, 08:21 PM
I don't totally Remember. Top four was Thresh v. Solidarity, and I don't remember who else was in the top four other than the other Solidarity. I apologize to whoever that was. I was inside working the register.

Not my fault.

Hopefully you all had a good time, and as a side note, would there be interest in doing a similar one in about three months?

It was Solidarity vs. Thresh and Solidarity vs. Angel Stompy.

I'd be down with doing these every couple of months.

FallenOmnipotent
10-22-2006, 08:53 PM
I'd go...
It should be moved closer to me though :D

Getting oppinons on hosting another tournement or not on here seems flawed.
I'm gonna guess people who go on here really like tournements. If they don't, they probably wouldn't be here. (yes, i know my spelling sux)

JZ23
10-22-2006, 09:15 PM
I know this guy. His like the best Solidarity player who plays at Maplewood. I dont care what anyone says, this guy is the best Solidarity player I have ever seen.

...(cough, cough)

Kyachi
10-22-2006, 09:53 PM
I'd go...
It should be moved closer to me though :D

Getting oppinons on hosting another tournement or not on here seems flawed.
I'm gonna guess people who go on here really like tournements. If they don't, they probably wouldn't be here. (yes, i know my spelling sux)

Talk was that the next one would be at Roseville.

Yeah, this may be a bit superfluous in posting it here, but I just wanted to know what kind of turn out that we'd have. The last one only turned out like 25 people, and this one was 73, so results have been sketchy. If there is a positive response, then the organizer will be more likely to have another one.

That being said, to the players, was there anything that we could do better? What worked, what didn't? Feedback would be great, and keep the tournament reports coming.

turbowing007
10-22-2006, 10:06 PM
This was a great tournament. We had a great turnout and everything went very well.

The working plan for the future is to run large-scale Legacy tournaments right around the time a new set comes out. Interestingly enough, this one got pushed back by two weeks, which allowed Time Spiral to be used in the tourney (not that I actually saw anyone using any). I think we'll go with that in mind for the future so if people want to use a new set they are more than welcome to.

Don't hold me to any of the following, but here is what we have in mind for the next big 1.5. We have a possible space to use in Roseville that could easily seat 300 or more players. If that works out, then I'm going to load up the prize pool. I'm thinking along the lines of a full set of duals (four of each dual land), a set of Grim Tutors, set of DCI Judge Pernicious Deed, set of foil textless Wrath Of God, set of Sea Drake, etc. If I have a big space to use then I'm going to shoot for a tourney that will fill it.

Big thanks go to Josh, Cleveland, and Derek for all their help with planning, setting up and running the tournament. If you don't know Derek, he's based out of Crystal, and runs Legacy there on Sundays. Do him a favor and drop by and play (if you aren't camped out watching football like me).

Extra special thanks go to all 73 participants who came to play. You guys (and gal) did a wonderful job of showing up on time, getting your decklists to us in a rush, and playing your matches like professionals. Ask Josh how amazed I was when I looked at the clock and saw it was after 3PM and it was already round five. Nothing makes a big tourney run better than players who play their matches in good time, report their results with brevity, and seat themselves in an orderly manner after pairings are posted. Once again, a BIG thanks to all the players. I hope to see everyone again next time.

-Tim

Vardaman
10-22-2006, 10:47 PM
I'll just post a short tournament report so people can see what I played against. I played a RGSA deck with no black splash and Sakura Tribe Elders instead of Llanowar Elves. I've been really happy with the STEs. The decklist is ^^^ and my full name is Gabriel White if that helps you find it. The deck is better than people expect it to be. It has decent match-ups against everything but combo. Pithing Needle does NOT absolutely wreck the deck. It does slow it down but the deck functions fine without ever seeing Survival.

Round 1
White aggro
This guy wins the award for "making me read the most number of cards in a round". There were two guys with shadow not named Soltari Priest and a pseudo-Jihad from Ice Age. He gets me down to single digit life totals before I'm able to take over the games so it wasn't all bad.
2-0

Round 2
U/G madness
Game 1 - I think I win this by eventually resolving a Survival. He does Stifle two different Baloths early in the game. I remind myself to be careful with fetches in the future.
Game 2 - He leads with a turn two Mongrel and a turn three Arrogant Wurm. He has a Circular Logic for my FTK and Baloth so I can't recover in time.
Game 3 - A first-turn Brainstorm doesn't show him a second land. It's a pretty harsh way for me to win a third game but I have an average hand and run him over before he can really get in the game. He takes it pretty well though.
2-1

Round 3
U/G madness
I really didn't expect to see so much of this deck. I saw at least a third person playing this and there was probably more. It's a 50/50 matchup as long as they don't go nuts with wurm tokens but I have no idea why it made such a resurgance.
Game 1 - I don't remember much about this game but I probably resolve a Survival after drawing out some counters. I think this was the game where he Stifles two of my Sakura Tribe Elders and I end up with Survival in play with no Mountains.
Game 2 - The only part of this I remember is him playing out his last card (Aquamoeba). His board is two 'moebas and an Arrogant Wurm. I FTK a moeba since I'm sitting at 17 or 18 life. I block his second moeba with FTK so he has to pitch his draw to trade with the FTK. I'm not sure what kills the Arrogant Wurm but I end up winning.
2-0
I forget this guy's name but I see him at the higher tables later so he must have been doing ok.

Round 4
the U/W/b scepter deck (Frank Ranallo)
Game 1 - He wins the die roll and leads with a Scepter-Counterspell on turn two. I frown and Burning Wish for Hull Breach. He taps out for Shadowmage Infiltrator and has the Force of Will for the Hull Breach. I don't really get into this game and I scoop after he counters my FTK and drops a second Infiltrator.
Game 2 - I aggressively mulligan for artifact destruction and keep my 5 card hand that has a Burning Wish. I grab Hull Breach and he just waits until he has enough mana to play Scepter-Chant with kicker. I'm locked and watch double Infiltrator + Teferi beat me down. Props to me for playing a deck that operates at sorcery speed. :)
0-2
I don't know why people were dogging on the deck since he was playing it well and it seemed like one of the better scepter decks I've seen.
The best part about this loss is that it probably helped me from getting paired against the top two Solidarity players for the rest of the swiss rounds.

Round 5
Pox w/Smallpox
Game 1 - He plays Smallpox twice and Innocent blood once. There might have been a Hymn and some other stuff but I can't remember. Double STE and Witness keep me flush with land so I can drop my fatties. His Nether Spirit chumps but can't stop everything.
Game 2 - I sac my hardcast Anger to Smallpox and Troll + two hasted FTK (on his Nether Spirit) win me this game. He did have some trouble getting more than one land after the first Smallpox.
2-0

Round 6
Anti-American with Gro
Game 1 - This one was a lot closer than he makes it sound. He plays a Needle on Survival sometime between turn 2 and 5. It goes back and forth for a while and I don't remember what all he counters but Burning Wish was one of them. I do remember playing Masticore to dissuade him from attacking. I discard Genesis to it and keep it alive a few turns by bringing back something to discard. I must not have had Witness in my yard. Eventually, I let it die and he has double Enforcer with thresh while I have a Bird and maybe a creature on the ground. I chump with the bird (8 life left to his ~7) and he plays his last card, Werebear. My hand is Burning Wish and FTK so I'm pretty pleased with myself. I draw and Wish -> Anarchy. I take four from the bear but I FTK it next turn and win a few swings later. Sometimes I love playing this deck because of crazy reversals like this.
Game 2 - He leads with turn one Needle on Survival. I grimace a bit since my 2x Survival, 0x Burning Wish hand starts to look a little worse. I play a turn two Survival for laughs. My Tormod's Crypt gets Stifled. He gets thresh and has a Goose + Werebear. He drops the rest of his hand (Jotun Grunt, some other creature). I Duplicant the Grunt and trade with a bear when blocking. I Wish -> Hull Breach the Needle on Survival and go nuts from there.
I do have a bit more respect for Portent after this match. I was really suprized that he didn't play creatures until turn forever. I usually have more FTK targets early in the game. ;)
They were fun games and he was a good sport.
2-0

Round 7
Angel Stompy (Eric Heaney)
We look at the standings and only 0 or 1 15-pointers will be able to make it in. We double-check the math, scratch our heads, recheck and ID into top 8; safe with 16 points. (for bonus fun, count the number of times I misused the comma in that last sentence.)
0-0-1

Top 8
Round 1 vs. Jeremy Zwirn with Solidarity
So here's the worst match-up I could expect in top 8. The odds were 2/5 that I'd play one of the two Solidarity players first round so I can't complain too loudly.
Game 1 - I keep a hand that has turn two and three Troll. He Remands Troll the first two times I try to play it. That buys him a ton of time and he combos off comfortably.
Game 2 - I play Tsunami and he starts to go off in response. I think he had five islands in play so things are not looking good. He doesn't see a Reset on a large Flash of Insight so he FoW's the Tsunami and uses his last two mana to Brain Freeze me for all but 6 cards. I have ~6 power on the board and easily beat him with my two extra Meditate turns. The miss on Flash of Insight was damn lucky for me.
Game 3 - I could play either Tsunami or Survival on turn 4 (or maybe it was turn 5). I decide to play Survival, thinking I would have Rofellos to cast Tsunami next turn, + easily set up Witness -> Tsunami the turn after if it gets countered. I should have gone all out and played Tsunami that turn instead of Survival. He could have an answer but it would have been better to force him to find it when he had 4 islands instead of 5. Instead, I wait a turn and he combos me out in response to Tsunami with Cards -> Freeze -> Remand -> Freeze -> Wish -> Stroke. Ouch.
1-2
I lose to a good player piloting what is probably my worst matchup so I guess it was a fitting end. I just wish I could have been paired against anything else so I'd have a better shot at the good prizes. ;)

Props:
All of my opponents - They were all pretty nice, if taciturn. That's more than you can expect from the majority of Magic players.
My brother - for forgiving me for playing Magic instead of hanging-out with him on his birthday.
Shinders - for holding this tournament. Hopefully we'll see more of these in the future.

Slops:
Me - for always playing decks that lose to combo.
All the Gro/Theshold players - for not knocking Solidarity out of top 8. That was my only hope. :)

Citrus-God
10-22-2006, 11:34 PM
...(cough, cough)

Fine, Fine. Jeremy also gets awarded the, "How in fuck do we ever make this guy fizzle if he plays Solidarity?"
Seriously. When I played wastedlife's old ThreshGro build sometime ago, I could not make this guy fizzle. I mean, he is basically the person who insists on stomping my face against the curb senseless.

@Vardaman: I always thought Threshold players were smart enough not to tap out on their mainphase.... seriously, Froggy played AK on his mainphase right after Zwirn Peeked at his hand. He sat off on turn three.

As for the Threshold players. Dont forget the Madness players. Madness can beat Solidarity too. I might consider building that deck.

Also, am I like the most talkative opponent you had that weekend? I'm not very taciturn kind of person. haha.

n00bas4urus_r3x
10-23-2006, 02:44 AM
Aight here goes....

We manage to make it to Maple Wood after a rough night of drinking, baked bean shots, smoking a lot of cigs, and seeing one Mr. Joe Hance's penis A LOT. I register, go to a table to write my deck list and open my back pack. @#^@%#$$&$**#&#!#@%&$8*#. My deck isn't there, and I realize I left it at the apartment in the hurry to leave. Well, now that Zoo is out of the question, i hustle to find a deck to play. I ask Alex (goblin_snowman), if he has any decks, and we scrape together vial goblins. Lots of things are lacking, but we have the essentials. Here are some notable changes:

2 mained Price of Progress: in hopes of seeing a lot of non-basics and for the fact I really don't like Goblin Spark Smith.
3 Wasteland: Like I said, in a hurry, no deck to play.
1 Rishadan Port: x_x
1 Skirk FIre Marshall: Well, I had one slot open, and nothing to put in....
2 Plateau, 3 Wooded Foothills, 1 Bloodstained Mire: umm...
Side Board: 4 Flashfires, and no white, at all.

I was more than a little depressed with the deck list, but I said if I skirk Fire Marshalled anyone, it would make my day, even if i did horrible.

Round 1: Mono green weenie with grow stuff and beserk. Won 2-1

Round 2: Mono red sligh. I hear goblins can race well... Won 2-0

Round 3: Deadguy. Over came E. Plague with 2 ringleaders and a piledriver.

Round 4: Vial goblins. First game was close, but he beat me out in the end. Second game he kept a one land hand I think, hoping Vial would keep him in it. I drop a second turn Tinkerer, he says not cool, and I proceed to face bash. Third game I have better plays off 2 Lackeys when he only anticipated one. He's at 7 or so, and has a matron out witha tutored Mogg Fanatic in hand, and a Vial at 1. I have 3 seige-gang tokens, and a Tinkerer. I vial in the Fire Marshall, he responds and kills a seige-gang token to keep goblin count at 4, and then I hard cast a Gempalm and proceed to nuke.

Round 5: Angel Stompy. Wasn't much of a fight, got worship locked 3rd game, and kicked myself for not having white in the board and forgetting my deck.

Round 6: Zombie-Clerecs. Jake and I had tested the night before and I wasted him with my goblins, but that had swords and such. He gets Scion out 5th and 4th in our 2 games, and has a rotlung out too for zombies. I can't bounce back.

Round 7: Reanimator. I have god hands, and goblins play out like they should with turn 5 kills both games.

Ended up 5-2 Which is all i can really ask for I suppose, and got to see ZC in the top 8, which i thought wouldn't be possible.

Props:
Alex going Bad-Worse with 5/3. I smile on the inside when he loses :tongue:
Jake for top 8ing with ZC. DAG YO, let it sweep the nation (swords the Rotlung, trust me)
Alex for letting me borrow Stalin's Chosen, and everyone who borrowed me cards or offered
Sobe and smoking
The mirror, for letting me skirk fire marshall and making it a fun tourny
Shinders
Peppermint Schnapps
Me for being one of the 2 Vial Goblins there?

Slops:
Me for forgeting my deck and playing goblins that mained skirk fire marshall
Alex for talking, A LOT, more than Anti~American
Jack for not coming

Yup, i think thats all folks

Goblin Snowman
10-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Alex going Bad-Worse with 5/3. I smile on the inside when he loses :tongue:

Me for forgeting my deck and playing goblins that mained skirk fire marshall
Alex for talking, A LOT, more than Anti~American

Hey, in my defense, against SOlidarity I had 2 lands G1, both basic, and G2 Never saw any of my 4 Spheres, CotV, or SoR. And Angel STompy rips Angel off the top with CotV @ 1 and 2. And me mulling to 5 against the Little red army since 24 land isn't enough, appartently.

Vardaman
10-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Derek, you could post a breakdown of deck archetypes instead of all the decklists. x goblins, x angel stompy, etc

gustoh
10-23-2006, 02:11 PM
A few notes:

Melvin in seat one after 4 rounds < Shoot me now

Also you guys officially have the worst team name Melvin, and I get to make fun of Luke for being on your "team"...

After I lost to that guy with Mono Black Clerics, I was out of it and didn't care anymore... I should have played 30 lightning bolt.dec

I'd also like to take a ton of credit for Nick's top 2 finish. After playing against him a few weeks ago, I made him play out Solidarity when he clearly had me beat but he messed up somewhere along the line and from that point on he's been pretty solid with it.

Maplewood placed 4 people into the top 8 and on top of that those 4 went on to the top 4 thus proving yet again that not only do we have the most jankiest metagame but we also have the best players.

Best deck of the day was the guy who had a 72 card red deck that got registered but didn't have a name on it... So instead of claiming it, Zwirn decided to play Solidarity...

LT...

Citrus-God
10-23-2006, 06:56 PM
A few notes:

Melvin in seat one after 4 rounds < Shoot me now

Also you guys officially have the worst team name Melvin, and I get to make fun of Luke for being on your "team"...

Played against awful Tier 1.5 decks too. I played against Solidairty (I dont need Mage to win), Bw Homebrew, and The Rock (I actually won this one!). Later I lost to two midgame decks (RGSA), and beat Faerie Stompy and the mirror (Wastedlife's old version of UGR Thresh).

Also, the reason I won, -> Portent and Predict, and Virginia (They do make the best decks).

I was also at the Top 2 tables for the past 5 rounds after round 2.

I know we have the worst name ever. IcBE is a stupid name, but it's a funny inside joke. Officially, we have no idea what our real team name's gonna be as of yet. All I know is, Stealth Comet was a god awful name.

And yes, Luke is on our team (yeah, you can make fun of him), so lucky of us. Like how EPIC has Herbig, he is our Herbig... except he plays RG Beatz instead of Solidarity. I'm also ther person who made him play with Pillars in the board.

JZ23
10-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Best deck of the day was the guy who had a 72 card red deck that got registered but didn't have a name on it... So instead of claiming it, Zwirn decided to play Solidarity...

Hey, that was my secret tech that somehow got leaked, so I had to fall back on a worse deck. Maybe next time...

Kyachi
10-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Derek, you could post a breakdown of deck archetypes instead of all the decklists. x goblins, x angel stompy, etc

Yeah, but I left the decklists at work. If they have not thrown them away by Thursday I'll put em up.

Off the top of my head, there were only like two Vial Goblins, but there were nine Burn decks. Any one care to riddle me that one?

As far as tiered decks go, Threshold was by far the best represented. No IGGy Pop, three Solidarity I believe, one or two Angel Stompy, maybe more. I'll do my best to get the lists so I can do this more accurately.

tpnp
10-24-2006, 10:02 AM
I'll check to see if they are there tonight, I work at 5.

Kyachi
10-24-2006, 10:27 AM
I'll check to see if they are there tonight, I work at 5.

Check my little cubby thing too. Although my guess is Eric tossed 'em, he's a bit of a neat freak, and it ain't much to him to stick CCG stuff in the "grumper"...

greyareabeyond
10-24-2006, 11:43 AM
If I read the results correctly, the top 8 was:
Solidarity x 2
Thresh - UGw
Angel Stompy
RGSA
Vial Affinity
UWb Scepter Control
Zombie Clerics

And the top 4 were:
Solidarity x 2
Thresh - UGw
Angel Stompy

Who actually won? And who beat Frank Ranallo? He was having a great day with the Scepter deck, he had table one staked out for the last few rounds.

Vardaman
10-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Threshold (Mike Scwebach?) knocked Scepter-Chant (Frank Ranallo) out in the quarters.

And could somebody please post how the semi's played out?

Kyachi
10-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Threshold (Mike Scwebach?) knocked Scepter-Chant (Frank Ranallo) out in the quarters.

And could somebody please post how the semi's played out?

Semi's was Angel Stompy V. Solidarity and Threshold V. Solidarity. Solidarity won both of those. They chose to split first and second instead of demonstrating for the spectators their knowledge of the stack.

I don't remember which Solidarity faced what in the semis though.

Xero
10-24-2006, 01:14 PM
I lost to Nick in the semi-finals w/Affinity. So I think it was:

Solidarity over Affinity.
Solidarity over RGSA.
Gro over Teferi-Sceptor thing.
AS over Zombie-Clerics.

JZ23
10-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Solidarity won both of those. They chose to split first and second instead of demonstrating for the spectators their knowledge of the stack.

I would of gladly demonstrated if time permitted!

Citrus-God
10-25-2006, 12:06 AM
I would of gladly demonstrated if time permitted!

God... Josh was so bias. Nick offered a split, you declined... Wasnt that match suppose to be played out? Because Josh was very eagar to go home that night... and the fact he really didnt want to stay here until like 5 AM for the whole match to end.

tpnp
10-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Decklist breakdown:

UGrw Thresh: 1
UGw Thresh: 2*
UGr Thresh: 3
Angel Stompy: 1*
RGSA: 2*
Affinity: 3*
Solidarity: 4**
Burn: 5
Scepter/Chant: 1*
Zombie/Cleric: 1*
WBG Control (Truffle Variant): 1
Dragon Tribal: 2
B/W Confidant (Pikula): 4
PandeBurst: 1
UBgr Tog: 1
R/G Land Destruction: 1
Faerie Stompy: 1
U/G Madness: 3
Mono-B Aggro: 3
43 Land!: 1
Mono-G Stompy: 1
U/W Control: 1
Discard: 1
Goblin Sligh: 1
Black 5/3: 1
Vial Goblins: 4
Reanimator: 1
Zombie Tribal: 2
English Muffin (B/W Aggro): 1
The Rock: 2
HuntedBrand.dec: 1
R/B Land Destruction: 1
Mono-R Ponza: 1
Mono-U Stasis: 1
Salvager Game: 1
Mono-B Trainwreck: 1
Trainwreck: 1
Pox: 1
R/G Beats: 2
Aluren/Blasting Station: 1
Aluren (Standard version): 1
Mono-G Enchantress: 1
RGW Aggro Loam: 1
Sligh: 1
White Weenie: 1
72cardHighlander.dec: 1

* = Top 8 showing

Vardaman
10-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks for posting that. I was afraid it's be something like that. 20 decks concentrated in 5-6 decks archetypes and 50 one-of's.

And people need to stop playing burn. :\

Kyachi
10-26-2006, 09:27 PM
God... Josh was so bias. Nick offered a split, you declined... Wasnt that match suppose to be played out? Because Josh was very eagar to go home that night... and the fact he really didnt want to stay here until like 5 AM for the whole match to end.

We also couldn't stay open later than the mall was, so that was likely a large part of his apparent eagerness to get out of there. He also had to close his store by nine.

Citrus-God
10-26-2006, 10:56 PM
We also couldn't stay open later than the mall was, so that was likely a large part of his apparent eagerness to get out of there. He also had to close his store by nine.
I know. That match would've taken like 6 hour if they did play it out.