PDA

View Full Version : [Announcement]The Mana Curve's 1st "Monthly Money" Tournament 9/16: 4x Force Of Will

DeathwingZERO
09-05-2006, 12:20 AM
So in our "Legacy in the Portland area returns" thread, there was discussion about hosting "big-money" tournaments, on the average of once a month. I've decided this is worth testing out, as I've got a decent amount of "good" prize support for Legacy as well as Vintage.

The Monthly Money tournaments will be rotating Legacy and Vintage(?) tournaments, once each month, for "big" payouts ($100+ First place, remaining prizes based on attendees). This month, for our inaugural tourmanet, it's 4x Force of Will. Here's the lowdown:

The Mana Curve's "Monthly Money" Tournament #1 9/16/06 (Saturday)
Entry Fee: $15
Time: 1:30 start time, 12:30 Registration starts
Minimum Participants:8
Maximum: Whatever we get
Rounds: Minimum 4 rounds swiss, cut to either top 8 or top 4, depending on attendance.
Standard rules enforcement: Legacy legal, no proxies, 60 card deck, 15 card sideboard. Deck registration not required, but appreciated (I would like to start getting a running note of how the NW metagame looks)

Prizes:
1st Place: 4x Force of Will (No less than VF/NM- condition)
2nd Place (requires minimum 12 players: 4x Pithing Needles (NM condition)
3rd-4th Place (requires minimum 16 players): $30 Store Credit each.
5-8th Place (requires minimum 20 players...probably not gonna happen):$15 credit each.

The Mana Curve
12400 SW Broadway St
Beaverton OR 97005
(In between Farmington Rd and Canyon Blvd, right near Giovannis Restaurant and Beaverton Bakery)

Directions: Easiest way to get here is either Max line (we're 2 blocks south of the Beaverton Central stop for red/blue lines), Trimet bus, or taking the 217 to the Canyon/Farmington HWY 8/HWY 10 Exit, then going westbound to Hall Blvd (one way north intersecting Farmington) or Watson (one way south intersecting Canyon). Broadway is the small street in between those two main roads.

Parking: A bit of a problem, as most of "downtown" Beaverton is very tight. Either the Bed, Bath & Beyond just down the street at Lombard, the old Wells Fargo building lot (though there is warning of towing, park at your own risk), a strip of parking spots near Ringo's Tavern, or the parking lot at Beaverton Town Square, in front of Hooters (also off Lombard). It is honestly much easier to find a Trimet bus or Max out to this area, and walk. If you need reference points, Google map our location, and look around from that point, you'll be able to make out the parking lots easier.

Any questions, give us a call at the store (503)-641-6050, PM me on here, contact me via AIM/Trillian at DeathwingZERO2k, or email me at rmj23@juno.com

PS- I can't get my account on Northwest Magic to work, if someone can cut and paste this bulletin there, or TMD, that would be greatly appreciated!! We need as much word out as possible to get this going. Also, sorry for the short notice, over the last few weeks I've almost had to postpone this one, but I know a lot of people will be going back to college, so I'd rather have short notice than no tournament for those guys at all!

Bardo
09-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately, the demands of adult life have caught up with me and I'll be out of town for a wedding on this weekend. :Major fucking frowns:

Have fun all.

DeathwingZERO
09-06-2006, 04:01 AM
So I have noticed that there has been a number of people on NWMagic talking about how Force of Wills aren't a good first place prize, and that they are not averaging more than $15 each.

Since I cannot post on NWMagic until I am able to get confirmation from the admin why I'm unable to login correctly, I'm going to post here, and anyone who would like to cut and paste to that thread on NWMagic's event listing for the tournament the following:

Force of Will is NOT a $15 card. All trends recently (Ebay on the higher end, FMC, any stores in the Portland/Salem and even as far down as Eugene and north as Seattle) are showing the card is $20-35. I am a vendor on FMC, the lowest a NM FoW is going for is $22, and upwards of $36.

To ANY players wishing to contest the average price of these cards, I will gladly BUY in cash ANY NUMBER of Force of Wills at $15-$17.50 each in NM condition. I've had numerous decksets go out in the last year @ $100 each.

Remember, there is no reason any storefront would consider peer-to-peer sales like Magic Online Trading League, Ebay, or anything else as an actual price guide. I personally know of 4 different online vendors in the area that BUY based on Ebay prices.

If the price seems too high for a payout system that is 100% funded back at the prize structure, don't worry about showing up. This is for the players that want better cards for their decks, not collectors out to make a couple bucks quick. But if you do have problems, at least back it up with factual prices, not something you got off some guy trading on MoTL, or some random seller on ebay with 10 or less ratings.

For those of you interested at why I came to the conclusion of the prices, here's the structure:

4x Force of Will= $100-120 @ $25-30 each
4x Pithing Needle = $60 @ $15 each ($4 each less than what I SELL them for)
3rd place = $30 store credit
4th place = $30 store credit
5-8th = $15 store credit

Simple math shows that if 20 people show up, it's $300. Add these numbers up, you'll see what I'm "making" off of this.

Thanks!
Ryan from TheManaCurve.com

AngryTroll
09-08-2006, 02:09 AM
I will be there for sure, and I think at least one of my friends will be there. I also heard 3 or 4 guys from Batcave saying they were going to be here-too good of an offer to refuse. I will find out tomorrow night from them.

DeathwingZERO
09-08-2006, 02:41 AM
So at this point, we've got a couple guys confirmed, a shitload of people on "Maybe", 1 out for good (sorry to hear bout it Bardo, this one was for you, lol), and 1 "probably out" (next time anyone sees Patrick, find a way to curbstomp his balls for me).

Seems threateningly low for a week left until tourney.....I may have to start showing up at peoples doors this week.

Volt
09-08-2006, 02:53 AM
So at this point, we've got a couple guys confirmed, a shitload of people on "Maybe", 1 out for good (sorry to hear bout it Bardo, this one was for you, lol), and 1 "probably out" (next time anyone sees Patrick, find a way to curbstomp his balls for me).

Seems threateningly low for a week left until tourney.....I may have to start showing up at peoples doors this week.

I'm coming for sure, but you probably already knew that. Don and I will talk it up some more at the Bat Cave tonight.

DeathwingZERO
09-08-2006, 03:27 AM
Ya, I figured you'd show. So here's a bit of a list to work with, and who we need to basically nuke if they don't show:
Godzilla (Patrick)- most likely a no show/hopefully will be too busy getting molested by rabid wombats or something...., Volt (Chris)- already attending, AngryTroll (Don)- already attending, LinkXWing (Brett)- should be attending, Frogboy (Max)- should be attending, Noah- already attending, James- dunno, "Other" James- probably not, $15 is a little high for him...he still owes Chris $5, Greg- maybe, Joe Brosher- maybe...............I think that's all I can think of from this area.

Do we really have so few people from Or/Wa here on The Source?

AngryTroll
09-08-2006, 03:51 AM
I do not know the guy's source name...he is a competent player, plays <edited, but good decks> at Batcave. He said he would be here.

DeathwingZERO
09-08-2006, 04:41 AM
I know Chris Barnes(?, can't remember if that's his last name), plays both Legacy and Vintage at Batcave and sometimes down here in Portland, he'll probably show if he's at Batcave tomorrow night.

If you wanted to get that flier going, Don, basically just take the info I posted here and put it in centered alignment, and the directions and such at the bottom. You should be able to fit it all on a standard 8.5x11" if you use regular sized font. I'll do the same and drop some off at Ancient Wonders and Alternate Universe, I'm sure neither Darrin/Chris or George really mind helping me out with it.

jeremys
09-08-2006, 09:45 AM
I'd say I'm about 70% sure I'll be there. I don't have my son that weekend so that just leaves the girlfriend and I think she's working that saturday. Now I just have to find something to play and maybe test a little but time for that seems fairly unlikely.

DeathwingZERO
09-09-2006, 01:08 AM
To give a pretty honest idea of what the turnout will probably include, here's what we typically see at the "weekly" tournies:

RGSA
Deadguy Ale
IGGY Pop
Solidarity
U/G/w Thresh/NQG
Rifter
Recycle Elf/Depths Combo (rare occasions)
Ape Sligh
Vial Goblins

And lots of other things in between. Honestly, for how few times the Portland guys get together, we take our decks seriously. LMF or at least dedicated decks (with the exception of Elves, and a few other things). Figure your playtesting Gauntlet to be a typical one for any good tournament showing.

AngryTroll
09-09-2006, 02:17 AM
Don't forget
Affinity
U/B/W/G Tog

If I don't get to keep mine a surprise, I feel less bad giving away everyone elses.

Nick (Night_Shade) said he will be there for sure, with 4 confirmed others.

Nick (Night_Shade) + 4
Don (Angry Troll)
Chris (Volt)
Brett (LinkXWing)
Max (frogboy?)

Noah
Affinity Dude
Deadguy Dude
Zilla
Brett's two random friends (Vial Goblins and Elves!?)
We should make the 12 person deadline, and we very well could make the 16 person threshold too.

DeathwingZERO
09-09-2006, 02:39 AM
If we can hit a 16 man showing with the people around here, I will most definitely be supporting a monthly tournament with bigger prizes. 16 would be outstanding, in my opinion, for a good prize supported Legacy tournament for this area.

Next stuff on the rotation for tournament prizes are:
1x NM Grim Tutor
1x VF/VF- Library of Alexandria
1x Mishra's Workshop (Absolute Mint, minimum C9.5)
Power 9 (All Unlimited)
DCI Judge Rewards promos/regular foils (5x Vampiric Tutor, 1x Balance, 1x Intuition, a few others...plus non-DCI high money foils like Grim Monolith, Wrath of God, Meddling Mages, Ravnica Duals, etc....English and foreign)
Misc older "playable" cards: Resets, Moats, Mana Drains, Beta Demonic Tutor, Beta Volcanic Island, Beta Savannah, Beta Badlands
And a ton more....

Honestly, I can hold ranges of tournaments from $5 entry to $25 entry, and we can structure prize support for both Legacy and Vintage tournaments, or pay out mixed, Vintage winnings for a Legacy tourney, or Legacy prizes (probably decksets) from Vintage tournaments. I'm completely open to suggestions, as long as it gets Portland moving again.

Lets start working on future events through this thread, and I'll go ahead and list future stuff within a month in advance for people in seperate threads.

AngryTroll
09-10-2006, 03:54 PM
I really think that 16 people is doable for the tournament. You mentioned rotating vintage and legacy tournaments for this; How many proxies would be allowed in the vintage tournament?

DeathwingZERO
09-10-2006, 07:26 PM
13 proxy for vintage, as is standard for our Monday night Vintage games.

AngryTroll
09-13-2006, 02:44 PM
The biggest concern for Saturday will be the parking. Carpooling is probably the way to go, if you can arrange it. I have been parking down at Bed Bath and Beyond (I know, manly). If you can manage to carpool to the tournament, you probably should.

That occured to me this morning, and I thought I should mention it.

frogboy
09-13-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm officially calling Zilla out: If he doesn't show, he's a total fucking pussy, especially since he talked me into giving him a ride despite his apartment literally being in the opposite direction of the tournament.

DeathwingZERO
09-14-2006, 01:28 AM
What a fucking pussy!!! I know where he lives, I'll drag his ass down here myself if I have to.

It's official Zilla, soon we'll be having to call you ill-equipped to be able to discuss the LMF.

Zilla
09-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Your opinion means nothing to me, peon. Nevertheless, I will come take your FoWs.

Kadath128
09-14-2006, 06:10 AM
Next stuff on the rotation for tournament prizes are:
1x NM Grim Tutor
1x VF/VF- Library of Alexandria
1x Mishra's Workshop (Absolute Mint, minimum C9.5)
Power 9 (All Unlimited)
DCI Judge Rewards promos/regular foils (5x Vampiric Tutor, 1x Balance, 1x Intuition, a few others...plus non-DCI high money foils like Grim Monolith, Wrath of God, Meddling Mages, Ravnica Duals, etc....English and foreign)
Misc older "playable" cards: Resets, Moats, Mana Drains, Beta Demonic Tutor, Beta Volcanic Island, Beta Savannah, Beta Badlands
And a ton more....

Put up prizes like that and I will show up regularly to give people my money.

AngryTroll
09-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Me too. And we might actually see Zilla at a tourney!?! Amazing! I was not actually convinced he played this game anymore....

Anyway, it is a real shame Bardo can't make it. On the other hand, I mean, seriously, who likes playing the mirror against the guy that built the deck?

In all seriousness, it is too bad that he can't make it. But Family > magical cards.

Ryan, if you keep posting tourneys this big, I might even make the drive up from Corvallis for the 1.5s. Not worth it for the T1s, because I know about as much about that format as I do extended. But at least I have the cards for Extended.

Bardo
09-14-2006, 05:05 PM
But Family > magical cards.

This much is true; but the actual wedding is between some dude and one of Sue's post-high school roommates. It's not like my sister is getting married or anything.

But yeah, I'd love to show up for this. :( If all goes well, hopefull you can run another next month Ryan.

To help, I'll pass the announcement along to my MTG-buddies who don't come to TMD/MTS.

Volt
09-14-2006, 05:12 PM
I am soooo going to win this tournament. All the good players will be embarrassed when they lose to me. So will Don.

DeathwingZERO
09-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Alright guys, here's the deal.

You get me 16 guys here this weekend, the Library of Alexandria goes up GUARANTEED 1st place @ $15 a head, no minimum. If we get 12+, I'll just request we get minimum 8 for the Library.

Requirements:
Vintage format, 13 proxy, CE legal (as non-proxy) on one condition: they must be cut to either Beta or Alpha standards (as close as possible), if they are not, they will count towards your proxy limit. Deck lists will be mandatory, as well as proxy count.

Time Spiral will also be legal, regardless of if I have this before the 20th. I'm planning on putting it on between the second and third weeks, I just need to make sure nobody in the area is doing anything big around that time.

AngryTroll
09-14-2006, 07:09 PM
I am soooo going to win this tournament. All the good players will be embarrassed when they lose to me. So will Don.

Right. And I am going to arrive in my flying pig car, carrying a snowball straight from the fiery pits of hell, playing an IBA creation, while drunk like Bardo and chainsmoking like Zilla, causing me to spontaneously combust and finish the tournament on fire!

Seriously....not a chance. Want to playtest tonight?

Volt
09-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Right. And I am going to arrive in my flying pig car, carrying a snowball straight from the pits of hell, playing an IBA creation, while drunk like Bardo!

Seriously....not a chance. Want to playtest tonight?

Sure. Bring the flying pig car!

DeathwingZERO
09-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Can I ride in the flying pig car too?

Bardo
09-16-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm about to head off to that wedding--it's somewhere north of Battleground, Washington. :(

When I get back, I'd love to see some results and a mini-report or two. :)

Was ZillA playing Feinstein Beatz?

I'll guess Froggy was playing Tog and Don was playing some Survival deck that went 1-3. And Volt almost certainly didn't play anything with Brainstorm.

Am I right?

Volt
09-17-2006, 01:09 AM
I'm about to head off to that wedding--it's somewhere north of Battleground, Washington. :(

When I get back, I'd love to see some results and a mini-report or two. :)

Was ZillA playing Feinstein Beatz?

I'll guess Froggy was playing Tog and Don was playing some Survival deck that went 1-3. And Volt almost certainly didn't play anything with Brainstorm.

Am I right?

Zilla played Angel Stompy and made top 4 before losing to Randy Stevens, playing The Rock (!).

Don played Survival and went 2-2.

Froggy played his usual Tog deck and made top 4 before losing to Ian Lindquist---frogboy playing Goblins.

I played CounterSliver (a different build than Noah's; it's basically the Gro mana/counter/draw base + Crystalline/Muscle/Talon/Winged slivers. No Aether Vials.) and went 1-3. In my defense, I got just about the worst possible matchups I could have gotten, and was repeatedly mana screwed.

frogboy
09-17-2006, 03:42 AM
:(

That is all.

AngryTroll
09-17-2006, 04:32 AM
Well, everyone needs a good "Driving to the tournament story", and I actually managed to arrange one this time. To be honest, I would have done without it.

On the way to the tournament, I stop at a buddies place of work to plan a scuba diving trip next week. When I return to the car, it dies a pitiful death when I turn on the engine. The hood is opened, and what do we discover? Not a giant scorpion, thankfully. And I would not have peed on it either, if it had been. Not snakes. A giant...screwdriver is sitting on the battery. It is extremely hot, and I have never seen it before in my life. This Screwdriver, this Rod of Ruin, this Rod that has Nulled the car, touched the battery, shorted it out, and killed the entire car. Not just the battery; oh no. It shorted the entire car. I was able to jump the car with help from the family, and made it to the tournament, where I was dropped off. Not good to park a car with a dead battery without driving it around for a while first. Anyway, the car stalls between The Mana Curve and home, and this time it is truly dead. A Tow truck must be called to save the day. As near as we can figure, this screwdriver was left under the hood by a sloppy mechanic a week ago when the car was in to check on the ABS light in the dash. It killed the car, and as soon as it was jumped the first time, the ABS light turned back on. $600 and the problem is back, except this time it took the entire car computer with it.

Anyway, Surprise, Surprise, I played RGBSA, basically Quicksilvers list.

I'll guess Don was playing some Survival deck that went 1-3.

Am I right?

Whatever, Dan, for the past three weeks, I am 10-1 at Batcave with it. (Ok, so maybe Batcave isn't a great argument.) But no, that is not all bad decks. Toss some of them as bad decks, but I beat my fair share of good decks with it. Overall, 12-6 for past three weeks or so, with two Bayous and sleaves collected for the grand total of $7.

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Werebear
3 Eternal Witness
4 FtK
3 Baloth

1 Bone Shredder
1 Rofellos
1 Indrik Stomphowler
1 Squee
1 Anger
1 Genesis

4 Duress
3 Therapy
4 Burning Wish
4 Survival

4 Wooded Foothills
1 Windswept Heath
3 Bayou
4 Taiga
2 Mountain
2 Swamp
5 Forest

Sideboard
4 Engineered Plague
4 Pyrostatic Pillar
1 Regrowth
1 Hull Breach
1 Anarchy
1 Cabal Therapy
1 Tsunami
1 Pyroclasm
1 Mutilate

Round One: Goblins Player...I am sorry to have forgotten your name
Game One: Turn one swamp, turn two Foothills for Mountain (Ouch), Burning Wish for Pyroclasm. Turn three Pyroclasm. Die on turn 5 with no green for Werebear in hand and stuff. Oh well.

Game Two: Turn one bird or something, turn two land, Burning Wish? Turn three Engineered Plague, turn four Kavu, turn five Anger, attack with kavu. His board is two Piledrivers. He Disenchants end of turn, plays Warchief, Matron for Fanatic, Fanatic, swing, I lose turn five after Plague and Kavu. Oops.

Round Two: Faerie Stompy (Abe, I believe)
Game One: I am a terrible, terrible player. I play a Werebear turn two, and turn three Therapy him and see Chalice, land for 2 mana, and some other stuff, with land for two mana in play. I play Wish for something, and something else irrelevant. I did not cast the Survival in hand. Ah...dur?

Game Two: Survival resolves turn two, and a steady stream of Kavus eats Efreets and Warbeasts, costing him life and land in the process until I win.

Game Three: Survival, again. I am awesome. I lose a bunch of life to a SoFI Cloud of Faeries, but Bone Shredder saves the day, and then Kavus keep him off of creatures while he does not have enough land for creatures and equipping on the same turn.
Matches: 1-1

Round Three: Brett with Solidarity! Yay.
Game one: I Duress him four times in the first five turns, making an army of Witnesses and Werebears. He kills me with the fourth Duress on the stack and lethal critters, I believe. Maybe one point short of lethal.

Game Two: I Pyrostatic Pillar three times in the first four turns and die with it on the stack the third time. Very frustrating.
Now, Brett is out of contention for prizes. I am not. I asked Max during the round if any 3-1 will make top 4, and one will. No 2-2s will make top 4, we also establish at this time. Brett apparently does not hear this, or whatever, and does not concede. By no means did he have to, and I did beat him savagely last time we played with rediculous amounts of Therapies and Pillars, so I guess I had it coming. I was still pretty frustrated.

Round Four: Charles with Goblins.
I lose game one to Silly Goblin Tricks.

Game two I end up with THREE Engineered Plagues in play. I win.

Game three I end up with one Plague, but turn three and four Kavus and turn five and six Baloths. I may be off by a turn here; if so, move that all back one turn. I also Cabal Therapied Disenchant numerous times, never actually hitting one.

I ended up 2-2 overall, which was frustrating. However, with RGBSA I am 12-6 over the past month.

I was talking to Zilla, and I think the reason I play RGBSA is that I am the most familiar with it out of any deck in the format, but more importantly,
It does not autolose to anything in the format. Sure, Iggy and Solidarity and Gameskeeper are not amazing matchups. But you do run 4 Duress, 3 Therapy, 4 Wish, and 3 Witness to make those matchups playable and winnable.
Goblins can sure be rough, but you run Kavus, Baloths, BWishes, and Plague in the sideboard to really help games two and three.
The deck loves, absolutely loves to play against Rifter. I would play against that all day long.
Thresh is an interesting match, and it takes playskill, but I do not think it is in the other player's favor. This is another matchup I am happy to see. The Red version is harder then the white version, because Mage on Survival is strong for them, but I still have Kavus, Bone Shredder, and Burning Wish. The red version can burn multiple critters early though, and that slows me down long enough for their countermagic and draw engine to be annoying.
On the other hand, the deck does not autowin against anything either. Rifter is pretty nice, as is random aggro, but the deck does not have very many easy matchups. I think it is a solid choice, but it is rather predictable for me to play it. I leave for school tomorrow, so I really wanted to just play Survival one more time before I head off to a place where Legacy is rather absent.

After the tourney, I went to Q'udoba for dinner (Excellent), then played Fugative. For anyone that does not know what Fugitive, is, you get a large group of people. You meet someplace. You pick another location, a good half hour or 45 minutes away on foot. About two thirds of the people take off on foot, and the remaining third waits a good five minutes, piles into cars, and takes off to hunt down the Fugitives. On nights like tonight, the Police kindly take up the hunt also to make the game more fun for all involved. Oh...and I leave for OSU tomorrow morning, and have not actually finished (ok, who am I kidding...have barely started) packing. Oh well.

Zilla
09-17-2006, 06:17 AM
:(
QFT. At least I got to deck frogx0r in game 3 of our match. That made the whole day worthwhile.

DeathwingZERO
09-17-2006, 07:20 AM
So we had a showing of 10 people. Not too terrible, but not really great either. Guess we'll test the Type 1 next month. For those still uninformed (man, to be uninformed about something already posted twice in this thread....you must be retarded) it's gonna be Vintage style, CE counts as legal cards as long as cut to standard edges, otherwise 13 proxies, and Library of Alexandria as the 1st place prize. Same entry fee as before, minimum 10 people (this is worth more than 4 Forces, $150 is the minimum I'd expect to get for this card from any respectable buyer).

I'll get the info next week for the exact date.

Bardo
09-17-2006, 03:03 PM
So, Goblins got 1st?

That makes me want to cry like a little girl.

nightshade81
09-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Goblins and The Rock split for first. =-)

Anyways since I'm the greatest player ever in the history of magic I preceded to leave my Living Wishes at home and was unable to play Gamekeeper. Although I did bring Rifter as a secondary deck Chris (playing Slivers) offered me Dryad Burn. I'm very familiar with the deck and had several discussions w/ Chris about the deck and was very please he offered it to me, thanks sooo much for letting me borrow it at last notice type of thing.

So I guess I will give a mini Tournament Report:

First Round was against Brett (LinkXWing) w/ Solidarity - I was so glad I was not playing Rifter.

Game one he lives by one point of life which I get hassled by Chris because I made one change to his deck which switched Lava Dart in for Seal of Fire. In that game I drew 2 Wastelands (hot against Solidarity) and was unable to use the flashback after I Fireblasted.

Game two I board in 9 hate cards and crush face with a Scald and Pillar in play.

Game three was really in Bretts favor after hard counter 2 peaces of hate and lived to the 6th? turn but he had crap in his hand and fizzled .

1-0 Matches 2-1 Games

Round two I played Chris (Volt) w/ Counterslivers - I felt kinda bad because he gave me the deck and I tweaked the sideboard to hate Solidarity which incidentally hated him out as well.

Game one was really close but Chris has a shroud of bad luck surrounding him and I think God hates him too. Anyways he top deck like 4 land when one Force, Counterspell, Sword, or a draw spell to get one of those would have changed the game, but proceeded not to.

Game two I don't really remember but I got crushed and Countersliver didn't even go below 10 health.

Game three Chris is again the second unluckiest person I know. Charles (Kadath128) being the first losing to the Rock w/ Goblins after testing that matchup 7-1 before the tournament. Anyways Chris lost after being mana flooded for the 4th time this tournament in 6 games =-( . Chris 18 land is way too much for you since you seem to draw them so well why don't you try 12? With you it just might work.

2-0 Matches 4-2 Games

Round three I played Ian Lindquist (????) w/ Goblins.

Game one was very close but he won in the end w/ double SGC. I made one small play choice that might have been sub optimal but I don't think game changing. I could have flashbacked Lava Dart to kill his Ring Leader when he had one damage on him but I wanted to save that for later, I don't think it would have made a difference.

Game two was really interesting but very horrible for me in the end. I stared off with really well because on turn two I Wasteland him and Needled his Vial that he had just played. Then on turn three I Lava Darted his Lackey. I get out a Dryad and Kird Ape and have Kird Ape stay home for defense and send the Dryad in to be repeatedly chump blocked. The really funny thing is for several turns I was at 2 life and he was at 9 and he had 2 Ringleaders on the board and I swung w/ Dryad with 3 cards in hand - all lands. So all he had to do was take the 5 and swing but my bluff worked and he continued to chump Dryad. In the end did didn't matter and he swung into me and was really surprised to see me scoop and asked "Where’s the burn?" - and all I could say was I pulled a Chris. I had Wasteland him 2 times he Wasted me once and I still had three land in play and three in my hand - 9 land in 7(?) turns. For a Sligh deck that is really bad I heir, but I did steal 2 victories from Chris this way so I can't be all mad.

2-1 Matches 4-4 Games

My final pairing is Patrick (Zilla) playing Angle Stompy. Since Randy and Ian split they were guaranteed top 4 (which we were cutting to) so if Chris beat Max (frogboy) then me and Patrick would split and get into the top 4 also. But alas Chris didn't win and me and Zilla had to play it out.

Game one I got smashed with a turn two Silver Knight followed by a turn three Jitte. On the final turn before lethal damage I make a comment "Hey at least you didn't get the Angle" and then he draws his card for the turn and starts to laugh and he shows the top decked Angle.

Game two was really close but I got several Time Walks in when I shot in response to Fire and Ice equip. Zilla admitted he made a play mistake and the turn before lethal and we go on to game three.

Game three was an uphill struggle with an early Parallax Wave. When the wave breaks he has 2 plains (I Waste the Tomb) and get back a Mom and a Hound w/ a Sword in play. I'm tapped out and have two Tiagas in play and a Kird Ape in play. My hand is 2 Dryads 2 Mogg Fanatics 1 Lavamancer 1 Fire Blast. He equips the Sword - I have this one chance to kill the Hound so I Fire Blast. If I had know my top card was a Lightning Bolt (or Chain) I wouldn't have done it but the odds that it was a land were greater then the odds that it was a Bolt since I had only played 3 lands and there is 22 in the deck and only 7 (Bolts/Chains). If I had known it was a bolt I could have dropped Mogg and Mancer on the next turn. Mogg to kill the Mom and the Mancer to force him to swing, leaving me open to attack with the Ape and since he was at 9 Bolt + Fire Blast = win. But since I thought it was going to be a land (with the odds) my plan was to attack with Ape then Mogg the Mom, drop Mancer the turn after and proceed to win that way since (I think) he had at least 1 Angle in hand and probably some useless (at that point) Equipment because he wasn't playing spells w/ only 2 mana. But Instead I proceed to draw no land and lose the game w/ only a 1/1 Kird Ape in play.

2-2 Matches 5-6 Games

All in all it was a good day and very happy someone in my car load that I brought took home 2 Forces and 25 Store Credit. In the semifinals Randy playing the Rock faced Zilla and went 2-1. Then Randy split with Ian (agian!!), after Ian beat Max.

Great tournament I wish there was a bigger turn out and I will see if I can make the vintage one. I have never played a vintage game before much less a tournament but it looks like fun.

I wish I could show up for your guys weekly events but unfortunately I work Saturdays and have to request them off for special events but other wise I would come. See you guys next time.

EDIT: Fixed my miskates and errors with palyers names -- sorry frogboy

DeathwingZERO
09-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Dear god man! Calling Ian Lindquist Frogboy would surely get you banned from this forum!!!

Max McCall = Frogboy, he was playing Hulk Smash. Ian Lindquist = scrub that borrowed Goblins from Paul, more than likely, lol.

Not really upset he won though, got rid of some packs of Dissension for his $25 in credit, and bought back 2 of the 4 Forces for $28 combined. Pretty good day for the both of us $D

Volt
09-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Dear god man! Calling Ian Lindquist Frogboy would surely get you banned from this forum!!!

Max McCall = Frogboy, he was playing Hulk Smash. Ian Lindquist = scrub that borrowed Goblins from Paul, more than likely, lol.

Not really upset he won though, got rid of some packs of Dissension for his $25 in credit, and bought back 2 of the 4 Forces for $28 combined. Pretty good day for the both of us $D

Lol. I know who Frogboy is. I didn't what the other guy's name was, so I just put ??? in my writeup. Frogboy came by later and edited my post. Hence the confusion.

Kadath128
09-18-2006, 10:10 PM
So, Goblins got 1st?

That makes me want to cry like a little girl.

and last! ^^

BTW: Go Go Legacy decks in Vintage.

EDIT: since everyone else is posting reports...

Match 1: FUCKING 2/x untargetable first strikers
Match 2: FUCKING Engineered Plague
Match 3: Crush Fairie Stompie
Match 4: FUCKING Engineered Plague

But at least I had a FUCKING Burning Wish in my sideboard. oO

Volt
09-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Match 1: FUCKING 2/x untargetable first strikers

Lol. Thank you. You just validated my existence. :laugh:

DeathwingZERO
09-19-2006, 07:27 AM
Just remember guys, for those of you that don't care for the combat step, show up to the Vintage tournaments. My buddies are DYING to play against some new blood up here. I swapped the "weeklys" from Monday nights to Sunday afternoons (in place of the drafts, 1:30 start time), and the next month's "Monthly Money" will be for the Library, to test the waters.

Here's an idea of what friends as well as myself can put together on 13 proxies:
Control Slaver (in multiple varieties), Dragon, Stax, BBS, Meandeck Tendrils, TPS, Ichorid Dredge, Tog (varieties), Oath, Uba Stax, FCG, Death/Grim/other Long.....plenty of others as well. So you at least know the metagame around here isn't complete shit.

The format is heavily supported here in potential, we just need to drag some more guys out.

Firebrothers
09-26-2006, 10:10 AM
You guys need to tell the card shop owners down here in Austin Texas how to run a tournement. You all seem like you have a ton of fun at tournements and then i read you had 10 people show up. We regularly have 15-25 people at wekly legacy tournements and the store we play at never has top 4 or top 8 so we usually have to rely on tie-breakers to decide who wins and 9 times out of 10 i am usually the person who gets screwed out of prizes because i get paired down or play the dude who has to drop for some reason or other.

Anyway do you guys have any idea what we could down here in Austin could do about this problem because i guess i take for granted that we have a regular large showing but ya'll seem to have more fun then us at tournements.

DeathwingZERO
11-10-2006, 08:45 AM
It's almost just as much the people that show up as the place is run. I know of a place we commonly refer to as the Buttcave up in Vancouver Washington that we play at on Friday nights for Legacy, and while we like bullshitting with the owners, about half to 2/3 of the player base there can really drop off a cliff and nobody would notice.

Also, get those shops to get DCI Reporter!! Tiebreakers are totally apeshit to have to calculate out of 15-25 people when you're trying to determine top 8 or top 4 after 4-5 rounds. They should learn the system, and never do anything short of it, unless they want to go with bad pairings after a few rounds.