PDA

View Full Version : 12th at the Mana Leak Open

Deep6er
09-05-2006, 06:53 PM
So anyway, after playtesting a deck for the last month, I decide to not take it. I decide that I'm more comfortable with Solidarity (at this point, Anwar will call me on it for wussing out) and just decide to run with it.

Round 1- Brandon playing Iggy Pop
Game 1- I win the die roll and keep a solid opening hand, leading Flooded Strand. I pass the turn into him playing Polluted Delta. At the end of my turn (where I play my second land) he cracks his Delta and I respond with cracking my fetch (the start of many such "safe cracks"), anyway, he finds Underground Sea then plays MYSTICAL FUCKING TUTOR. I think for awhile and say "sure." He looks for INFERNAL FUCKING TUTOR and I almost shit myself. He looks up at me and I have this big shit-eating grin on my face. He then proceeds to draw the Infernal Tutor for his turn, play Lotus Petal and try to go off. I don't ACTUALLY have the force but I do have an Impulse. I think for awhile and Impulse in response. I look at the top four one at a time all calm like and notice that the first three are fucking terrible. So, I take the top (fourth) card of my deck, place it face down on the table, spin it twice, then look at it. FORCE OF MOTHERFUCKING WILL BITCHES. I look up at him with the same shit-eating grin and say "I guess I'll take this one." Force his Infernal Tutor and he doesn't do anything for the rest of that game. I finally go off when I have ten lands and MIGHT have to discard for my turn.
Game 2- He keeps his seven card hand while I go to six. After I decide to keep, he drops Leyline of the Void. I look at him quizzically and say "sure." He then proceeds to say "Go." not "Delta Go", or "Swamp Go", not even "Island Go", it's just Go. Goddamn, I'm going to hell. Anyway, he proceeds to not play anything for the next three turns while I draw lots of cards. When he attempts to do something I Force it, then go off with like six islands in play or something ridiculous like that.

SHOTGUN GOING TO HELL!

Round 2- Paul Lynch playing UGW Threshold
We talked a little bit before the event as we see each other all the time at events. He said he was coming in to this event with like an hour and a half of sleep tops. He had issues with hotels and also issues with the drive. I sympathize with him and I tell him hopefully his matches won't be too stressful.
Game 1- He apparently fucked up multiple times this game in addition to his obvious one of naming Windswept Heath on a Predict and flipping Flooded Strand. Frowntown, population you, bro. Anyway, I combo off after I peek at his shitty as fuck hand and lethal damage isn't even on the table.
Game 2- He fucks up again and only sees one Mage. I Force it and he can't apply any pressure or find countermagic. His draws were fucking terrible.

Round 3- Ashok playing 'Shok style Reanimator
Game 1- DEAR JESUS, WHAT AN ASSRAPING. He mulls to six and my seven is reasonably solid. He goes first turn Underground Sea, followed by Careful Study pitching two Spirit of the Nights. I find this to be kind of dangerous but think that I might have a turn to deal with it. He then drops Chrome Mox imprinting Buried Alive at which point I start to get a little nervous. He then plays Reanimate targeting a Spirit of the Night. I respond by Forcing it (leaving him with one card in hand) and hoping to God that I bought myself some fucking time. Next turn I drop my land, pass and cross my fingers. He draws for his turn, plays Exhume and I Brainstorm in response. Frowntown, population me. He brings back Spirit of the Night and one of my lands is a fetchland (which will put me to 18) and I can't find an answer in time.
Game 2- He boards in 10 cards and I board in one. Bad ratio. I'm on the play and keep what I think is a reasonable hand of 2 Remand, 1 Turnabout, and four lands. I will admit that I saw Hymn to Tourach being boarded in (You should probably look into that if you read this man). Anyway, I drop an Island and pass the turn and he plays turn one Dark Ritual into Phyrexian Negator. Goddamn I hate Frowntown (and the fact that I seem to be the one going there this round). He then plays some of the discard spells he brought in while I proceed to draw nothing but land. Goddammit.

Round 4- Justin playing U/W/b/r/g Fish
Game 1- He plays SCRUBLAND, AETHER VIAL. Seriously, this is the point where I'm convinced he's a massive scrub and I'll win easily. I play my land and pass. He ups the Vial, plays Wasteland and passes. I Opt at the end of his turn, play my land (on my turn) and pass. He ups the Vial to two, doesn't play his land, and passes. At the end of his turn I play Brainstorm then crack my fetch, in response, he activates Vial and drops in Meddling Mage, I reply with "Goddammit" and he says "Wish". I think for a little longer and am now convinced that this guy sucks at Magic. Jokes on me I guess. Anyway, I say "sure" and proceed to drop another land and pass. He keeps the Vial at two, misses his land drop, beats for two, and passes. At the end of his turn, I play some more draw spells and he responds by activating Vial and dropping in TRUE GODDAMN BELIEVER. ARE YOU FOR FUCKING REAL? SERIOUSLY, YOU'RE JOKING RIGHT? All those things pass through my mind instantaneously. Goddammit. I'm going to lose to the guy that I thought was Random Noob Scrub. Anyway, I play a little longer to see if the guy is any good at Magic (like him possibly Vindicating one of my lands so I could Twincast it back at his Mage). The guy never plays another spell and just beats for four every turn.
Game 2- I board in bounce and he boards in ELEVEN CARDS. Frowntown. Anyway, I drop my land and pass. He drops Weathered Wayfarer and passes. I do some drawing and some land playing and some passing. He drops Mage. What a ***. I Force and drop a land. He activates Wayfarer on his turn and drops ANOTHER GODDAMN MAGE. I Remand. I have to Brainstorm to hit my fourth land. While the Brainstorm is in the process of resolving, I have a hand of High Tide, Reset, Reset, Impulse, Force of Will, Island, Turnabout. I think for a damn long time and come to the (mistaken) conclusion that I should attempt to go off when he drops the Mage again next turn. I put Force, Turnabout back on top, drop my land and pass. He drops the Mage again. I respond with High Tide, Impulse into Cunning wish for Meditate. I draw straight gas. High Tide, Reset, Turnabout, Meditate. I Meditate again into Island, Island, Island, Peek. Frowntown. I Peek, into Peek, into Opt. I see Island, (put that one on the bottom) into Turnabout. Goddammit. I think for awhile and let the Mage resolve. He names Wish again and for his next two turns plays dudes and gets me to one. I fucking quit when I draw Twincast. Goddammit.

I decide to stay in because I did the math and discovered that "theoretically" one 5-2 will make it in, barring weird draws or drops. Unfortunately, there were going to be four of those "weird" things happening that day. Goddammit to hell. Also, he was only playing those colors for Engineered Explosives.

Round 5- ROLAND FUCKING CHANG, THE WORLD GODDAMN CHAMPION
So anyway, Roland Chang. Seems like an OK guy. I ask him if he's tested this matchup and he says that he feels pretty comfortable with it. I get the same shit-eating grin because I know that he's going to have a quick and brutal lesson in "How to Play Solidarity."
Game 1- His draws were mediocre and I beat the ever loving shit out of him. He tries to counter things and I show him what I mean when I say "Domination of the Stack."
Game 2- I board in bounce and he boards in like seven or eight cards. He drops an early Chalice, which I Remand, which he Forces. I respond with being incredibly confused. Not a terribly good response. Anyway, that game continues with me getting some incredibly shitty draws and him getting marginally better draws. I lose when he resolves Chalice for two and Arcane Lab. Frowntown.
Game 3- Fast Forward to him having Chalice for one and two in play (but no threats). He then drops Arrogant Wurm and then drops another one. I Wish for REBUILD (MOTHERFUCKERS!) and proceed to Rebuild at the end of the next turn, and then just to add insult to injury, I Echoing Truth both of his Wurms. Man, Shotgun going to Hell. :)

Round 6- Jesse Robinson R/W Goblins with MD Fireblast, Bolt, PoP
Game 1- He learns that I'm the one who invented Solidarity (Fuck you Mike Herbig, and Bryant Cook and all the other shitheads who say otherwise) and visibly deflates. God, I'm so fucking awesome. Anyway, he gets kind of mana fucked this game and I Forced his Lackey. He gets a pretty quick lesson of pain when I go off because I think it's funny.
Game 2- This game was bad. I Hydroblast his first Lackey but am having issues getting land. I drew 3 Hydroblasts but not enough land. Frowntown.
Game 3- He keeps a slow seven card hand and I show him how incredibly awesome Remand is. Man, I'm so fucking awesome.

Round 7- James playing Threshold?
Game 1- He seems to get mana screwed off of Island and GEMSTONE MINE? Discarding Crucible of Worlds? Also, he played two Accumulated Knowledges and one Nimble Mongoose. I beat the ever loving shit out of him.
Game 2- He gets lands and manages to drop both Nimble Mongoose and Werebear. He can't seem to get to Threshold though. :). I get him to Threshold real quick. God, I'm so awesome.

I end 5-2 in 12th with Brian Diefendorf (Ewokslayer) ending 22nd, and Mike Herbig (Herbig) ending at 32nd. That's three in the top32. That's not terrible. I do, however, prove that I'm the best. Seriously.

Also, Jander WAS ri-goddamn-donk-ulously tired. I saw him wondering around asking for brains, drinking from the used toiled and dry humping the wall. Seriously.

Now, I don't do this terribly often, but here goes.
Props
-Me, for being awesome
-My opponents, for giving me byes
-Iggy Pop, for existing
-Solidarity being fucking amazing
-Ray for running an awesome event

Slops
-Me, for not being awesome enough
-Lego Army Man, for not listening to me
-My opponents (that beat me)
-Herbig, for being retarded
-Team Unicorn and all of their honorary members, seriously, count me out of your ridiculous gay orgies
-60 FUCKING DOLLARS IN TOLLS
-The Tab button for not being easier to push than the Enter button
-Dave Price for not knowing what it means when somebody does the math

Machinus
09-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Well this report was going well. Top164L!

quicksilver
09-05-2006, 07:38 PM
God damn you are full of yourself despite going to frowntown so often.

Also x/2's virtually never make it in a descent sized events. There are always those "weird draws" because people will always be drawing in. Usually there is at least 1 x/1/1 that does not make it in.

herbig
09-05-2006, 07:48 PM
-Herbig, for being retarded

Hey, whats up with this?

URABAHN
09-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Deep6er bashes us for being so free-spirited, but in reality he's a kinky little voyeur. He said quicksilver and I were so loud, we kept him up all night! What was he doing while he listened to us all night?

AnwarA101
09-05-2006, 08:10 PM
So anyway, after playtesting a deck for the last month, I decide to not take it. I decide that I'm more comfortable with Solidarity (at this point, Anwar will call me on it for wussing out) and just decide to run with it.

You did wuss out. I mean you playtested that deck till the end of time. Maybe you should do what I do, play decks with no testing. It at least makes for an exciting tournament.

NANTUKO_SHADY
09-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Why is Dave Gearhart so cool??? I aspire to be just like him!!!!!

Kadaj
09-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Congrats on finishing as well as you did, hopefully next time you'll make top 8.

I'm just pissed I didn't get to watch you hand some peeps their asses. Maybe next time eh?

Ewokslayer
09-05-2006, 09:11 PM
You did wuss out. I mean you playtested that deck till the end of time. Maybe you should do what I do, play decks with no testing. It at least makes for an exciting tournament.

Even the ones you don't go to?

herbigtoo
09-05-2006, 10:38 PM
This report is full of spite.

AnwarA101
09-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Even the ones you don't go to?

You better make it to the back to back Duel for Duals. Otherwise you'll be getting the same treatment!

Ewokslayer
09-06-2006, 07:47 AM
You better make it to the back to back Duel for Duals. Otherwise you'll be getting the same treatment!

They are in Roanoke. That is pretty much the ass middle of nowhere. No wonder their colonists disappeared.
You had people willing to drive you, people willing to put you up for the night and still you didn't come.
Not to mention the maybe I should take a 3am train up.

quicksilver
09-06-2006, 09:30 AM
You had people willing to drive you, people willing to put you up for the night and still you didn't come.

Yeah Anwar, that is pretty much the most retarded thing I have ever seen you do. I mean where do you come up with these ideas?

Krieger
09-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Slops
-Team Unicorn and all of their honorary members, seriously, count me out of your ridiculous gay orgies

You will never play any other deck for a large event why do you even playtest other decks?

Also I think you wish you could be a part of Team Unicorn secretly you wish to be a part of it. We all know Dave it is alright you can join!

Jander78
09-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Also, Jander WAS ri-goddamn-donk-ulously tired. I saw him wondering around asking for brains, drinking from the used toiled and dry humping the wall. Seriously.

Great Job Dave!. I don't even remember being at this tournament..... <.< >.>

legacyplayer0
09-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Dave Gearhart!!!! Congrats on 12th place.

Lego
09-06-2006, 07:24 PM
You're pretty much my hero. Well, after ZillA. Just though you should know.

Zilla
09-06-2006, 08:29 PM
In your face, Garheart! Yeah, I even spelled your name wrong, bitch!

AnwarA101
09-07-2006, 12:29 AM

Wait, Godzilla is your hero? May God have mercy on your soul.

laststepdown
09-07-2006, 05:00 AM
Wait, Godzilla is your hero? May God have mercy on your soul.

Mine too. I have no soul to speak of, as I didn't make it to the tourney. Regardless, good job and all that. Better luck next time, eh?

TheInfamousBearAssassin
09-07-2006, 12:10 PM
They are in Roanoke. That is pretty much the ass middle of nowhere. No wonder their colonists disappeared.

Technical point, but that was Roanoke, North Carolina that dissapeared, not Virginia. Unless I remember my 4th grade history wrong. I also think it was a coast/island town, not in an Appalachian pit.

Anyway. I was told by someone I should post something about how awesome Dave is, but I'm pretty sure they were lying.

herbig
09-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Technical point

You are correct, wikipedia never lies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_of_Roanoke

On Gearhart being awesome, I'm still waiting for his reply to calling me a retard. Whats up with that Dave? I thought we were pals.

Ewokslayer
09-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Technical point, but that was Roanoke, North Carolina that dissapeared, not Virginia. Unless I remember my 4th grade history wrong. I also think it was a coast/island town, not in an Appalachian pit.

Anyway. I was told by someone I should post something about how awesome Dave is, but I'm pretty sure they were lying.

Why are you ruining my funny statements with Facts?

Though I think the bigger question would be why name your valley and then your town after a colony that completely disappeared from the face of the earth? Seems like that is tempting fate. I certaintly don't want to be in Roanoke when the time-space continuum collapses and sucks up the town.

quicksilver
09-07-2006, 12:29 PM
I certaintly don't want to be in Roanoke when the time-space continuum collapses and sucks up the town.

I don't know, being sucked into nothingness could be kinda fun. Spend an etrenity with nerds. We could play D&D for the next quadrillion years.

Ewokslayer
09-07-2006, 12:30 PM
I don't know, being sucked into nothingness could be kinda fun. Spend an etrenity with nerds. We could play D&D for the next quadrillion years.

And Calosso.
No thank you.
I rathered be stabbed and mugged in Brooklyn.

quicksilver
09-07-2006, 12:32 PM
And Calosso.
No thank you.
I rathered be stabbed and mugged in Brooklyn.

Well obviously we would kill Calosso and feast on his flesh imediatly. And then D&D!

Ewokslayer
09-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Well obviously we would kill Calosso and feast on his flesh imediatly. And then D&D!

Is Peruvian anything like Mexican?

quicksilver
09-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Is Peruvian anything like Mexican?

IDK, but when the situation arrives we shall find out.

herbig
09-07-2006, 12:36 PM
We could play D&D for the next quadrillion years.
At least then my level 20 Mage/Thief would have the time necessary to craft an eternal life relic. Once you hit 20 you gotta find something to do with yourself.

Deep6er
09-07-2006, 04:15 PM
You are correct, wikipedia never lies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_of_Roanoke

On Gearhart being awesome, I'm still waiting for his reply to calling me a retard. Whats up with that Dave? I thought we were pals.

Oh no, that little RI-GODDAMN-DICULOUS fuck up against Jesse made me kind of pissed at you. Seriously, that was one of the worst mistakes I have ever heard of. I just wanted everyone to know that if they think that you're better than me, I'll just bring up that little story (before then after I punch them in the face) and make sure to put you in your place. We're still cool though man. :)

P.S. Seriously, what the FLYING FUCK were you thinking?

herbig
09-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Which mistake are you refering to? While I may well have made a mistake I umm, beat him 2-0.

Deep6er
09-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Which mistake are you refering to? While I may well have made a mistake I umm, beat him 2-0.

The mistake against Jesse. You tapped out for a low tide Turnabout at the end of your turn for no discernible reason. Had Jesse's hand not been incredibly terrible (and had it not been for a retarded sideboarding error) Jesse would have destroyed you. Seriously, that was terrible.

AnwarA101
09-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Which mistake are you refering to?

Herbig makes so many mistakes you have to be specific. He can't remember all of them.

quicksilver
09-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Herbig makes so many mistakes you have to be specific. He can't remember all of them.

At least he shows up to make them.

AnwarA101
09-07-2006, 05:10 PM
At least he shows up to make them.

Some people do have a Death Wish! I'll get Zilla to make it happen.

Krieger
09-07-2006, 05:13 PM
[quote=Deep6er;88731]Oh no, that little RI-GODDAMN-DICULOUS fuck up against Jesse made me kind of pissed at you. Seriously, that was one of the worst mistakes I have ever heard of. quote]

What is it with Solidarity player messing up against the Jesses? I mean I think it must be our kind nature or our hansomeness that distracts Solidarity players. I mean you guys all suck except Ewokslayer he could beat me. Everyone knows you guys are pretty good but your're no Ewokslayer.

P.S. Herbig MadZur felt sorry for you thats why he let you win.

Mad Zur
09-07-2006, 08:09 PM
The mistake against Jesse. You tapped out for a low tide Turnabout at the end of your turn for no discernible reason. Had Jesse's hand not been incredibly terrible (and had it not been for a retarded sideboarding error) Jesse would have destroyed you. Seriously, that was terrible.
Actually, my hand was fine. I could have won despite the retarded sideboarding error if not for at least two retarded play mistakes.

Deep6er
09-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Actually, my hand was fine. I could have won despite the retarded sideboarding error if not for at least two retarded play mistakes.

Yeah, but yours is almost justifiable. The problem with HIS, is the fact that for someone who plays the deck consistently (and claims to be good with it) he makes such an EGREGIOUS play error like that. I was just angry at him. I'm cool with your mistakes because you don't devote yourself to Solidarity.

herbig
09-08-2006, 05:20 PM
The problem with HIS, is the fact that for someone who plays the deck consistently (and claims to be good with it) he makes such an EGREGIOUS play error like that.

My reasoning for going off was this:

My hand was about as perfect as I was going to get, including the card I had just drawn, which gave me 8 cards to work with, none of them Reset. I had 2x Brainfreeze, 2x Force of Will, Turnabout, one or two Twincasts and something else. I had not made a land drop, so in the unlikely situation where I was allowed to draw and drew into a land, I could still make an addtional land drop. Neither of us had discarded Flash, which put me at 8 cards to his 7. I was also I believe two lands ahead of him in the land race. It being my turn, with no draw spells in my hand, he was going to be the next person to draw a card, in the situation where a stack war ensued and both players were Freezed out, without Wishing for Stroke.

I had won game one and did not want to win the round due to a draw, which I mentioned although he may or may not remember this. So, rather than play draw go for a couple turns in which his situation would undoubtably improve more than mine, I decided to attempt to go off, with the plan to prevent him drawing more than his hand, prevent Stroke, and Freeze him to death. I don't test as much as you do, and I have virtually no experience with the mirror outside of tournament play, so maybe I made a mistake, but in my mind my decisions were what won me the game, not his improper sideboarding.

Deep6er
09-08-2006, 05:46 PM
My reasoning for going off was this:

My hand was about as perfect as I was going to get, including the card I had just drawn, which gave me 8 cards to work with, none of them Reset. I had 2x Brainfreeze, 2x Force of Will, Turnabout, one or two Twincasts and something else. I had not made a land drop, so in the unlikely situation where I was allowed to draw and drew into a land, I could still make an addtional land drop. Neither of us had discarded Flash, which put me at 8 cards to his 7. I was also I believe two lands ahead of him in the land race. It being my turn, with no draw spells in my hand, he was going to be the next person to draw a card, in the situation where a stack war ensued and both players were Freezed out, without Wishing for Stroke.

I had won game one and did not want to win the round due to a draw, which I mentioned although he may or may not remember this. So, rather than play draw go for a couple turns in which his situation would undoubtably improve more than mine, I decided to attempt to go off, with the plan to prevent him drawing more than his hand, prevent Stroke, and Freeze him to death. I don't test as much as you do, and I have virtually no experience with the mirror outside of tournament play, so maybe I made a mistake, but in my mind my decisions were what won me the game, not his improper sideboarding.

The descriptions here are indicative of your play style I would guess. You kind of play off of your intuition, which is fine, however, the problem is the fact that you appear to be inexperienced with some of the situations that come up with this deck. It seems like you just commit to ideas as soon as they come to you, which is not the BEST plan in every scenario. I think the problem with this play is the fact that the two Force of Wills will destroy your hand unless your planning on countering High Tide. If High Tide resolves, he has his ENTIRE HAND. You may have double Force, but that's not actually as spectacular as you made it out to be. The mirror requires careful application of thought and reasoning (one of the reasons why Diefendorf ((Ewokslayer)) is so amazing at it, as his playstyle reflects those two ideas) and forces a player to analyze ALL POSSIBLE CONSEQUENCES OF HIS NEXT PLAY. It seems that you just disregarded this idea and kind of rolled with it. I'd like to think that had it been Ewokslayer or somebody with more experience playing against you, your mistake would have been compounded into a game loss. Don't get me wrong Herbig, you're a great guy and I'm not actually INCREDIBLY pissed at you. The problem is the fact that as the person with the most recent tournament wins, people will look to you for advice and as you're response will most likely include, "go with what you FEEL," I have no choice but to say that unless you've played SO many matches with the deck that you feel comfortable in every situation that the deck comes across and can automatically respond with not only a decision, but the CORRECT decision, that you should take a little bit more time in your matches and your justifications. I'm not trying to sound condescending, but this shit kind of gets me. I feel a personal obligation to actually help those people who TRULY want to get better with this deck. Your approach is highly personalized and works for you, but will almost never work for THEM. Just saying man.

herbig
09-08-2006, 06:55 PM
...Your approach is highly personalized and works for you, but will almost never work for THEM. Just saying man.

Just know that it wasn't simply a blind attempt. There was some logic to my moves, although in hindsight it may not have been the best idea. I would love to be able to playtest with you guys in Virginia (don't read that as sarcastic) and get a better sense of the mirror match. But my location and schedule don't allow me to test anywhere other than online and occasionally with my EPIC teammates. Random workstation opponents do nothing to improve my ability and only one of my teammates has just picked up Solidarity (although to be fair the few games I've played against Nightmare it went either way).

Zilla
09-08-2006, 07:54 PM
...Your approach is highly personalized and works for you, but will almost never work for THEM. Just saying man.
I don't know who you think you are, but you shouldn't be trying to tell Herbig how to play the deck he invented. God.

herbigtoo
09-09-2006, 09:33 AM
The problem is the fact that as the person with the most recent tournament wins, people will look to you for advice...

I've found the source of this spite.

Deep6er
09-09-2006, 08:07 PM
I've found the source of this spite.

I'm not actually spiteful against Herbig, I'm just kind of spiteful in general. You see, people don't have any idea how incredibly awesome I am so I have to take pains to show them. That gets irritating after awhile especially when people beat me with just luck. That shit's gay. After all, the ONLY way I lose is when people get lucky against me. :)

P.S. My report is actually full of spite because I didn't win. That was irritating. Also, I lost to random shit (Niknight). I'm not actually pissed about losing to 'Shok Style Reanimator as that's how the deck rolls. It's designed to either go broken or suck. It went broken against me and that's not a huge deal.