PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Wizard Deck Counterspell

clight
09-05-2006, 08:05 PM
I have a tri-colored wizard deck (blue, white, black). I included the standard creature removal stuff (STPs, Edicts [Diabolic most likely]) and now I'm looking for a blue counterspell. I'm currently running Force Spike with a lot of success early on and it may be the favored winner in this contest. But, I would like some other thoughts. Remember it's three colors, so I can't carry a blue-mana-heavy counterspell. I might be able to pull off a Counterspell or Boomerang on occasion. Force of Will is an option, but not a high runner up. Daze is one idea, as well as Stifle. Maybe even a Mana Leak or two.

I'm sure there are different reasons behind everyone's favorite counterspell, and I'd like to hear yours.

(I moved the question to the New and Developmental Forum. Thanks Advisory6000!)

MasterBlaster
09-05-2006, 08:22 PM
This might be the wrong forum for your question. Anyways, you might wanna try Rune Snag (or whatever the Coldsnap mana leak is), or Memory Lapse.

Getsickanddie
09-06-2006, 05:49 AM
I would think that Voidmage Prodigy in a wizard deck would be an auto include.

Just don't play arcane denial.

CleverPetriDish
09-07-2006, 01:24 PM
With that Wizard deck, aren't you running Patron Wizard? If so, the blue must be significant already. If not, you REALLY want Patron Wizard. When I tried Wizards, every land made blue for that very reason. The mana base worked really well for me. The rest of the deck, well, not so much.

despo
09-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Dromar's charm is quite some tech in white-blue-black, i just love it, but i never find a deck to put it in...

nupert
09-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Paul Nicolo finished 5th in 2006 Vintage Championship with his UWB Fish, which I would rather call a wizard deck (he runs 15 of 'em). He only played 4x Force of Will and 4x Voidmage Prodigy, which is quite good with Aether Vial. If I built a wizard deck, it would be pretty much like his.

So I prefer Force of Will. Next would be Stifle (you know it's strong in Legacy).

jazzykat
09-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Generally speaking, if you like force spike then you will love daze! If you have enough blue cards generally about 16-20 in all then force of will is a must. I would guess you want to run free counters because you want to drop your dudes and cause havoc early.

clight
09-08-2006, 10:05 AM
This has been posted at the New and Developmental Forum. Sorry for originally posting it here, but I appreciate all of the comments I've gotten :)

Drathro
09-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Depending on how your deck works, you could try Memory Lapse's cousin and the Flavor of the Week for counterspells, Remand (http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?name=Remand). However, I agree that free spells are better, if you can support them.

Angel of Despair
09-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Personally, I can not pick up a blue deck without trying to fit FOW in! That card has helped me win a lot of games I just should have won. I would go with Force, simply because it is the best counterspell in the world.
Welcome to the Source by the way! It's nice to see another girl taking interest in Legacy.