PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Deck/Counterspell

clight
09-05-2006, 10:53 PM
I originally posted this in the Card Interactions forum (aka, The Wrong Place), but I thought I'd throw this out there. Go easy on me, this is only the second deck I've done most of the work on. I have to thank Tacosnape for help with the mana base (and for, you know, teaching me to play Magic). On to the question:

I have put together a tri-colored wizard deck (blue, white, black). I included the standard creature removal stuff (STPs, Edicts [Diabolic most likely]), the all-around permanent killer Vindicate, and now I'm looking for a blue counterspell. I'm currently running Force Spike with a lot of success early on at shutting things down. It may be the favored winner in this contest of the counterspells. But, I would like some other thoughts. Remember it's three colors, so I can't carry a blue-mana-heavy counterspell. I might be able to pull off a Counterspell or Boomerang on occasion. Force of Will is an option, but not a high runner up. Daze is one idea, as well as Stifle. Maybe even a Mana Leak or two...

I'm sure there are different reasons behind everyone's favorite counterspell, and I'd like to hear yours.

On to the deck list:

4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Vindicate
3 Diabolic Edict
4 Force Spike
4 Brainstorm
4 Duress

4 Voidmage Prodigy
3 Azorius Guildmage
4 Dark Confidant
4 Meddling Mage

4 Scrubland
4 Underground Sea
4 Tundra
3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
2 Island
1 Swamp
1 Plains

Tacosnape
09-05-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm now an advocate of Stifle, and am still one in this deck. Ten games or so with Chang's U/G Madness completely reversed my opinion of The Blue Wonder that is Stifle. This is probably the only Blue-based aggro control deck I've ever been against Force of Will's inclusion in, partly because there's so little blue and partly because of Dark Confidant. I'd say Stifle over Force Spike.

At the same time, though, Jason does incredible things with Force Spike when you least expect it. Along with somehow killing me with a morphed Voidmage Prodigy while I had two Engineered Plagues on the board.

There should probably be Pithing Needles somewhere in this deck's 75, too.

clight
09-05-2006, 11:10 PM
I know - Jason is so much better at my deck than I am. But, still. Stifle is a good thought as long as I keep in mind it's abilities and not the spell itself and keep from turning idiot trying to counter the wrong thing. I do like the versatility of Force Spike and it really can shut down early game. Having won once or twice by the beauty that is Force Spike and having wished upon wishes for a well-timed Force Spike (against your Goblins, for example), it's leading the pack. For this weekend, I'm going to throw Stifle in and try it out. Prepare to play test. That is, if Jason actually lets me use my own deck, <g>...

advisory6000
09-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Abjure could be idea for testing you have to sac a blue permanent.. Just a idea but if you need mono black match up you know to talk to..

xsockmonkeyx
09-05-2006, 11:26 PM
FYI there is a similar deck with wizards and the same colors being discussed here:

http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4046

EDIT:The main thing i wanted to point out on that thread was Riptide Laboratory but it has since been subbed out of the deck. Theres still some good ideas and advice there though.

Angelfire
09-05-2006, 11:28 PM
I ran a very competitive wizard deck for a long time. You are missing two of the best wizards ever; Patron Wizard and Shadowmage Infiltrator. Patron Wizard is a (soft) lock in tons of scenarios and with Voidmage in play your opponent will probably not resolve another spell. Shadowmage is amazing card advantage without any life loss (I am not saying he is better or worse than Dark Confidant). Shadowmage also provides substantial toughness in a deck full of weak creatures, the 3 toughness allows him to muck up the ground much better than his comrades.

Tacosnape
09-05-2006, 11:36 PM
FYI there is a similar deck with wizards and the same colors being discussed here:

http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4046

That's not similar enough to warrant a thread merge. Voidmage Prodigy is the odd man out here, as the fact that he turns every available beatstick into a counterspell requires the deck be built radically differently. Cabal Therapy becomes inferior to Duress with him present, and Daze becomes less useful when it's important to keep mana on the board for Azorius/Voidmage.

As for the missing wizards, Patron Wizard doesn't have enough Wizards to help him, as the Wizards need to be bashing faces in and can't afford to hang around untapped. Stormscape Apprentice, however, is another story. I don't think he's necessary due to the fact that Azorius Guildmage does his best ability without tapping to do it (Albeit more expensively), but it's hard to automatically discount a 1-drop that can shut down almost any giant threat in existence. He might be an interesting complement to the deck.

xsockmonkeyx
09-05-2006, 11:39 PM
That's not similar enough to warrant a thread merge.

I agree, still its in the same flavor and is good reference.

Ophidian
09-05-2006, 11:44 PM
When I ran this deck (long time ago in the pre-Bob days) I ran Shadowmage, just cause he is awesome. I also ran Dromar's Charm as my counter of choice-- it's just so versatile that it always comes in handy. However, my super-secret tech of choice was Volrath's Stronghold. The only thing better than sac'cing wizards to counter things, is to have recurring wizards with which to counter said things.

clight
09-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Ahh, moan. I want to like Patron, but I'm not sure it fits well enough. Shadowmage would be nice to throw into a one-drop creature slot, but ideally an Azorius will get me the same basic action with a bit more mana. Adding new/different wizards can give this deck aI want to like Patron, but I'm not sure it fits well enough. Shadowmage would be nice to throw into a one-drop creature slot, but ideally an Azorius will get me the same basic action with a bit more mana. Adding new/different wizards can give this deck an entirely different feel. It'll be fun to play around with.n entirely different feel. It'll be fun to play around with.

clight
09-06-2006, 12:00 AM
When I ran this deck (long time ago in the pre-Bob days) I ran Shadowmage, just cause he is awesome. I also ran Dromar's Charm as my counter of choice-- it's just so versatile that it always comes in handy. However, my super-secret tech of choice was Volrath's Stronghold. The only thing better than sac'cing wizards to counter things, is to have recurring wizards with which to counter said things.

Having never heard of either card, I got a little happy when I looked them up :) But, the mana base is precarious enough without adding a colorless producer, though the return creature ability is scarily nice. I want to love Dromar's Charm but I just don't think it fits in the deck because of the three different mana requirements. It lacks the versatility of a one or two drop blue/colorless and blue counterspell. It really makes me want to TRY it anyway :)

I'm fairly new at this, though, which is the whole reason for the suggestions :)

xsockmonkeyx
09-06-2006, 12:03 AM
my 2 cents(deck skeleton):

4 Brainstorm
3 Daze
4 Force of Will
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Duress
3 Vindicate
3 Counterspell

4 Voidmage Prodigy
4 Stormscape Apprentice
4 Dark Confidant
4 Meddling Mage

3 Flooded Strand
3 Polluted Delta
4 Tundra
4 Underground Sea
2 Scrubland
2 Island

clight
09-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Daze is a card I'd considered, I just don't want to have to lose a blue mana source in a three color deck if I can help it. I like Stormscape, but I'd have to pump it up (maybe add Jitte? Dare I say that...) with it only being a 1/1 - unless I successfully pull off hitting the opponent for one life a fair amount of times. I would want to keep the mana base close simply because the way I have it now including the basic lands - I can play everything in my deck with those lands if I have to (not that Wasteland would cripple me to the point of having to very often, if ever.) But not a bad build at all.

Ophidian
09-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Daze is a card I'd considered, I just don't want to have to lose a blue mana source in a three color deck if I can help it. I like Stormscape, but I'd have to pump it up (maybe add Jitte? Dare I say that...) with it only being a 1/1 - unless I successfully pull off hitting the opponent for one life a fair amount of times. I would want to keep the mana base close simply because the way I have it now including the basic lands - I can play everything in my deck with those lands if I have to (not that Wasteland would cripple me to the point of having to very often, if ever.) But not a bad build at all.

Well, I think there are two ways to look at the deck.. if you're looking at mana curves, and creature pump, and Confidant, then you are looking at the deck as Aggro/Aggro Control deck.

Obviously, the other way to look at the deck would be as more of a control deck

This is "close" (it's been a few years) to the deck I ran.. it won a couple tournaments.

4 Stormscape Apprentice
4 Meddling Mage
4 Voidmage Prodigy
4 Shadowmage Infiltrator
4 Suq'Ata Firewalker

4 Dromar's Charm
4 Propaganda
4 Force of Will

4 Duress
2 Disenchant

4 Underground Sea
4 Tundra
4 Scrubland
4 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
2 Island
1 Plains
2 Volrath's Stronghold

I can't tell you how many games I would just sit back on Stormscape, and tap their guys, or ping them at the end of their turn when I had a Propaganda wall set up. Matches would typically go to time as it was/is a very slow deck. But, as far as a more controlling shell, maybe this will give you some ideas.

Also, one of the nice things about Dromar's Charm, is that you can counter a spell with only 1 blue mana out. No-one sees it coming, and when they see the lone Island sitting on the other side of the table, they think they're free (barring FOW) to cast a spell.. food for thought

kicks_422
09-06-2006, 12:33 AM
I have two suggestions for the deck:

1) Try out Patron Wizard. Sure, it's UUU to cast, but if you fix the manabase accordingly (8 fetches, 4 Tundra, 4 Underground Sea, 2 Scrubland, 4 basics or something), it's a total house... I've fiddled with a UBW Wizard deck before, and it turned out really well...

2) Trinket Mage... Then adorn your deck with 1-of-artifacts such as Tormod's Crypt, Aether Vial, Chalice of the Void, Zuran Orb, Pithing Needle, etc. It really helps to have SB answers in your MD, fetchable with the Trinket Mage...

Just my thoughts... :tongue:

clight
09-06-2006, 12:52 AM
But, as far as a more controlling shell, maybe this will give you some ideas.

Quoting Advisor6000, Suq'Ata Firewalker = GG goblins (and any other of those pesky 1 toughness creatures...)

And your thought about the charm is interesting. I've seen my opponents hold back because they anticipated a counterspell by watching my mama before. You have a lot of good points in that deck list. Definitely food for thought.