PDA

View Full Version : Lands.dec

Franz Ferdinand
09-06-2006, 01:31 AM
I did not see a thread for this, and I don't think it fits under Land Ho!, which is a much different deck (though it has the same colors and Loam).

This is a modification of 43Land.dec, piloted by Sascha Thomsen, which won a tournament in Germany (apparently). You can see the original here: http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=18437

This deck strives to get out a ton of business lands early, with the power of Manabond and Loam. Techy stuff like Wasteland, Port, Tabernacle, and Maze keep you alive as Treetop Village and Mishra's Factory end the game.

This is my list:

//NAME: Lando Griffin
// Lands
4 [4E] Mishra's Factory
4 [DK] Maze of Ith
2 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
4 [MM] Rishadan Port
2 [OD] Barbarian Ring
1 [ON] Forgotten Cave
4 [ON] Tranquil Thicket
4 [TE] Wasteland
4 [R] Taiga
4 [UL] Treetop Village
1 [ON] Barren Moor
4 [ON] Wooded Foothills
3 [B] Bayou
1 [MM] Dust Bowl
// Spells
4 [EX] Manabond
3 [RAV] Life from the Loam
4 [US] Exploration
2 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
3 [JU] Burning Wish
2 [RAV] Darkblast
// Sideboard
SB: 1 [RAV] Life from the Loam
SB: 1 [CHK] Cranial Extraction
SB: 1 [4E] Tsunami
SB: 1 [NE] Massacre
SB: 4 [7E] Duress
SB: 1 [OD] Haunting Echoes
SB: 3 [SC] Pyrostatic Pillar
SB: 1 [7E] Pyroclasm
SB: 1 [R] Regrowth
SB: 1 [PS] Hull Breach

I made a few major changes to the deck.

--Adding black: I really didn't think white added much to the deck. Monastery isn't that necessary, and through testing, I rarely found myself wanting to play Geddon. Black adds Darkblast, which is really helpful against aggro, including Goblins. It also allows me to SB Duress, which is my sideboard option against combo decks.

--The Wishboard. Other than Clasm, Sascha's sideboard seems godawful to me. Gaea's Blessing is not a sufficient answer to Solidarity. I'd rather not sit back and let them sodomize me, hoping they can't answer it. Plus, it's much more narrow than Duress and Pyrostatic Pillar (both of which also answer Iggy Pop and Salvagers Game).

--Removing Roar of the Wurm and Mulch/Less win conditions: This deck, at least the way I play it, is very good at slowrolling. Recurring Wastes/Ports let you slow your opponent down. With that, I find that I don't need a large amount of win conditions. Factory and Village are fine, and recurring Barb Rings can deal the last few. As for removing Mulch, more often than not it was a dead card in my hand, and when I played it, it did little more than be a pseudo-Loam. I'd rather have Wish, which can get a REAL Loam.

New card choices:

Crucible of Worlds: Acts as Loam 4-5. It's just as good for recurring your lands. It also doesn't need you to keep paying mana (though it's more vulnerable).

Burning Wish: See "Wishboard" above. Also functions as Loams 6-8.

Darkblast: This card is really, really good. It is a wonderful answer to turn 1 Lackey or any other X/1s, as well as being a nice combat trick with your manlands. Plus, it can help you Dredge into Loam a lot faster than trying to draw it.

Dust Bowl: This is a bit of a testing spot. Dust Bowl rips apart any deck that fails to play basics.

Wishboard: I think most of it is self-explanatory. I didn't put anything particularly revolutionary there.

Matchups:

Sadly, I have only been able to test on mwsplay.net. I think people who play here know how godawful most people on there can be. So take these with a grain of salt.

Goblins: My version seems to do a lot better against Goblins than the original. Darkblast is an MVP. So is Tabernacle. Keep them locked up with Tabernacle and Mazes, or find a Wish-->Pyroclasm. As long as you can survive the initial onslaught and take it into the lategame, you can take advantage then. Until then, Tabernacle is the best answer to creature rushes. Also, remember that you can play Darkblast during your upkeep, dredge it back, and play it again to kill a 2/2.

Sideboarding: Nothing. Game 2/3 they might board in Tormod's Crypt if they have it. All I can say is play carefully--I have yet to put in an answer to it.

Thresh: A++ matchup. Mazes can stall Werebears and Enforcers/Dragons, and Mongoose is generally not big enough to make it past Villages or blocking Factories. Lock their mana sources down with Wasteland and Port. Tabernacle is also fun after this to add insult to injury. The fact that they cannot counter most of your business cards (including Loam, usually) is a benefit to you.

Sideboarding: -2 Darkblast +2 Duress. Darkblast isn't going to help you much. Might as well replace it with Duress, which can knock out a Daze or STP.

Solidarity/Other combo: Awful matchup game 1. I can't imagine winning these matchups game 1 unless you get blessed with a lot of Ports in the beginning of the game, and even then, not sure. Wasteland can also do damage against non-High Tide combo decks. Still, do not expect to win game 1.

Sideboarding: -4 Maze of Ith -2 Tabernacle -1 Darkblast +4 Duress +3 Pyrostatic Pillar. This is still a painful matchup, but at least you have answers. Remember, if you can accelerate hard enough, you can Wish into Cranial or Tsunami.

Other cards considered:

-Riftstone Portal: Even without white in the deck anymore, this lets every land you have make green mana...including Maze of Ith and Tabernacle (and Factory, et al.).

-Devastating Dreams: Massacre took this card's spot in the Wishboard. Should I switch back?

-Perish/Deathmark: I considered this, as both of these are powerful, but I'm not sure what exactly it helps against.

-Some sort of spot removal (Wishboard): I've noticed I pretty much lack this in general. Chainer's Edict springs to mind.

-Chalice of the Void/3sphere - I tried playing 3sphere in the maindeck before, but it was often just a dead card. I'm not sure if either of these has too much merit in the SB.

-Urza's Factory: An additional win condition, and it's much more resilient than manlands. Maybe as a 1-of.

Any comments are welcome.

xsockmonkeyx
09-06-2006, 02:21 AM
there is definately a thread for this already.

Franz Ferdinand
09-06-2006, 02:28 AM
there is definately a thread for this already.
There wasn't one on the first page, but I just checked back to my third page and found one.

Also, my deck is significantly different, I'd say, because of the black + Wishboard, but I'll leave it to the mods' discretion.

Franz Ferdinand
09-08-2006, 06:08 PM
From testing, I've found the Goblins matchup isn't quite optimal. It's about 50/50. Tabernacle + Wasteland strategies help a lot. A quick Manabond/Exploration opening has helped me to beat Goblins every game, but that's not exactly reliable.

Both Crucible and Darkblast, my additions to the deck, have performed exceptionally. Darkblast is a powerful weapon which definitely helps to even out the Goblins matchup, and is also super-keen with cycling lands.

Mad Bomber
09-09-2006, 08:05 PM
From testing, I've found the Goblins matchup isn't quite optimal. It's about 50/50. Tabernacle + Wasteland strategies help a lot. A quick Manabond/Exploration opening has helped me to beat Goblins every game, but that's not exactly reliable.

Both Crucible and Darkblast, my additions to the deck, have performed exceptionally. Darkblast is a powerful weapon which definitely helps to even out the Goblins matchup, and is also super-keen with cycling lands.

glacial chasm/crop rotation really helps that matchup

Mad Bomber
09-09-2006, 08:07 PM
I think the key problem with all the land decks is that they simply roll over to combo.

I don't think any deck that has an Auto-loss against another deck in the format is a vial option...which truly is sad because the lands deck is sooooo fun to play :)

Zilla
09-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Closed. A thread already exists for this archetype (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4020).