PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Top 106 at The Manaleak Open

Krieger
09-06-2006, 06:08 PM
The Deck I decided to play was IGGy Pop here is the list.

The lands
4 Polluted Delta
4 Flooded Strand
2 Underground Sea
1 Tropical Island
2 Swamp
3 Island
The accelerants
4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
4 Lotus Petal
4Cabal Ritual
4 Dark Ritual
The search/tutor
4 Brainstorm
4 Mystical Tutor
4 Infernal Tutor
3 Intuition
Protection
4 Leyline of the Void
1 Echoing Truth
The Kill
4 Tendrils of Agony
4 Ill Gotten Gains

SB
4 Xandit Swarm
3 Pithing Needle
2 Echoing Truth
1 Rushing River
3 Massacre
2 Gaea’s Blessing (yeah its that good)

The intro:

On the weeks leading up to this event I was confused on what deck to play. I had many options. I didn’t really want to play Solidarity even though that is the deck I feel I know the best. I was stuck on either Red Death or IGGy Pop. Since I had lent my sinkholes to a teammate I was on IGGy Pop.

The Manaleak Open Round One:

Round 1 ? Playing Myr retriever.dec

This is this guys first Legacy and dare I say first Tournament experience. His deck player myr retriever and ashnods alter with disciple of the vault as his win condition.
Game 1 turn three Combo and win he seems amazed.
Game 2 Before we start this game he asks if I am able to go off faster. I tell him turn three is average. Then I win on turn two.

Round 2 Brian (Ewokslayer) playing Solidarity

Ewok is one of the best player I know. He recently moved to NY and let us stay at his place.

Game One I paris to 5 he wins easily
Game Two in come the Xantids and Blessings. I am on the play and keep a strong hand that includes Xandit. Xandit sticks and I play turn three Leyline that I drew. The Mindtwist was coming the next turn and he knew it as he had peeked at my hand before the swarm bashed his face. Next turn he put the swarm trigger on the stack and went for the go off. He is unable to play around blessing. All the islands tapped for 4 and he couldn’t kill me so I won.
Game three I loose partly because I drew three Leylines and he had a better start then me.

Round 3 Survival forgot your name.

Game 1- was on tilt from last round and kept a poor hand and fail to go off.
Game 2-I am really mad and don’t shuffle well I end up having to paris to 5. my opponent shuffles my deck and I have a really solid hand and win on turn three via double Lion’s Eye and Infernal Tutor.
Game 3- I have a very strong hand it is a turn two win my opponent seems a little mad that I had won the last one even after parising. He opens fetch go and I play a land. He fetches and lays another land and plays Ground Seal. I read it and say that Ill
Gotten Gains doesn’t target the graveyard and we call the judge. He confirms this and I win. He is now really mad and says something like good guys never win. Sorry it was good games.

Round 4 Dave Feinstein

Game 1- What a nice guy I had seen him playing earlier and knew he was playing R/G beatz.I would have to say that the games we played where very good he played very tight and thought things through. Probably my the nicest person that I met all day.

He was on the play and opened with kirdape a good start I had three lands and played my nonbasic first hoping he would waste it to slow him down. He takes the bait. I float blue and he passes to go into his attack I then cast mystical tutor for dark ritual. This game is very close and I go dangerously low and only do Ill Gotten Gains once and use infernal to cast tendrils for just enough.
Game 2- I board in needles and bounce. I miss play and he has turn two pillar. I lose shortly after.
Game 3- I am really mad about this one I misplayed and killed my self with pillar I could have cast tendril and instead I gave up and didn’t see the play. I wished him luck and knew I was out.

I then proceeded to drop for the side event and played in that for a set of Force of Wills.

Round 1

I got a bye and waited for a next to round to go up.

Round 2

Game1-I played against a nice guy (forgot his name and ) was able to combo him out on turn four after he Cabal Therapied me and got three lotus petals . Two turns lalter I pull the win.
We talk a little and he said that he has a positive match up.
Game 2- First turn Leyline Ouch ! He muttered something about forgetting about it he played land go . I played land go. He cast Night’s Wisper. I Mystical Tutored for Dark Ritual. And turn two I played Mindtwist and that was game as he applied no pressure and I was able to go off with little issue.

Round 3 (forgot your name ) playing Survival/Aluren?

Game 1– I was unsure what I was up against. But when he cast a first turn Eladamri’s Vineyard I was very happy. Turn two I win he told me he would win the very next turn and showed me his combo. Thought this was a mistake.
Game 2- he plays Force of Will on Ill-Gotten Gains and I lose. I was unaware that he had Force of Will but it was turn 2 and I think I played it correctly.
Game 3- I play needle naming survival. He plays mystic remora and pays for it until turn 6 I play just intuition and combo the turn after he can’t pay for remora.

Top 8 -I didn’t start until way late I had missed the announcement that the next round had gone up. Luckily my opponent had neglected to hear it as well so we started a bit late.

Round 4 Jim Playing Solidarity

I met Jim a little over a year ago and am very friendly he is a really nice guy I was disappointed that I got such bad pairing and this was one of my worst match-ups.
Game1-I got a bad start and scooped after a few turns because he still had a hand and I didn’t.
Game 2- I had a relatively fast hand with Leyline plus Ill-Gotten Gains unfortunately it was forced. He has trouble hitting his third land but says his land is very strong. I have Approximately three cards in hand and he tells me he will go off if he hits his third land drop. I ask him to show me his hand and he does. It is double Tide, double Reset, and double Meditate. He plays his next land and I take my turn. I draw ritual but do not have enough to go off. I say to him just kill me now and get it over with. I then comment on the strength of his hand. THE JEDI MIND TRICK WORKS! He goes off and fails because he was unaware of the Blessings that I had brought in. He didn’t play tight enough and lost to him self and my trick.
Game 3- He is on the pay and was impressed with my little trick I made fun of him for a while as we started game two. I opened my hand that would have Leyline early and Mindtwist on turn 4 with Xantit on turn 1. I did just that and won he was unable to recover and I beat him.

Top 4 Chad Threshold URG

Chad Seems fairly abrasive and is generally not a friendly player I was surprised that he was not friendly at all I try to have a good time and be nice whether or not I am wining or losing.

Game 1- I start With Leyline in play and am able to stall him I can’t find land number 3 and then can’t find double tendril so he wins with his army of Werebear Geese and A Fledgling Dragon.
Game 2 I miss sideboard and bring in Massacre mostly because I been playing magic for hours straight. I lose this one he portents me after Naturalizing my Leyline he was able to get threshold and kill me fast. After I Tendrils him for 14 I have no hand and two turns he portents me for the win.

Props-
Ray what a great tournament and a great turnout I hope you can hold more events in the future.
Anwar- for convincing me to play this deck.
Bomholt- for making this deck is it great.
Dave Feinstein- for being a the nicest opponent all day.
Allen For his warm embrace.
That Hot Mom
Unicorns for being so cool

Slops-
Me for not picking up this deck earlier.
Anwar for not showing up. After keeping me up (you should have taken the train)
David G. for not sticking to his guns and playing his new creation.
Jack for not being cool and thus being kicked off Team Unicorn
Mynameisscott fir talking to Jack agter he had been kicked off Team Unicorn
Me for losing to my own play-mistakes.

quicksilver
09-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Grats on the top 4. Also the savageness of beating Jim game two because he was unaware of the blessings.

Ta Jugs
09-06-2006, 06:38 PM
isnt iggy pop really bad??

quicksilver
09-06-2006, 06:42 PM
isnt iggy pop really bad??

No, its actually really good. If it just saw a little more play it would easily make it into the LMF (as it is it almost made it in with very few people playing it). It's only possible rival for good combo decks in the format is solidarity with everything else being way behind. It is probably on the level of solidarity as for how good it is. Solidarity is more resiliant, but Iggy poop is much faster.

AngryTroll
09-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Yeah, Iggy and Solidarity are the best two storm based decks in the format. Salvagers Game is the other combo deck to watch for, but it is more easily disrupted then the other two. It still places pretty well, pretty consistantly.

Congradulations on beating Solidarity with Iggy. That is always an accomplishment.

Bane of the Living
09-06-2006, 08:52 PM
IGGy Pop is much easier to just pick up and start playing with than Solidarity as well. Solidarity altho resiliant can certainly fizzle. One of the better things about IGGy is once you 'go off' there is no fizzle. You chain through at least 3 Ill Gotten Gains thanks to Intuition, and Infernal Tutor adds rediculous consistanacy.

Ewokslayer
09-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Round 2 Brian (Ewokslayer) playing Solidarity
Game Two in come the Xantids and Blessings. I am on the play and keep a strong hand that includes Xandit. Xandit sticks and I play turn three Leyline that I drew. The Mindtwist was coming the next turn and he knew it as he had peeked at my hand before the swarm bashed his face. Next turn he put the swarm trigger on the stack and went for the go off. He is unable to play around blessing. All the islands tapped for 4 and he couldn’t kill me so I won.
Game three I loose partly because I drew three Leylines and he had a better start then me.
There was no Peek. I figured out the Mindtwist because I know how Iggy Pop plays and it was the only reason I could figure you would waste a petal on putting Leyline into play.

DeathwingZERO
09-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Very happy to see people get the balls up to bringing this deck and placing with it. I've considered this deck overall a better combo than Solidarity after playing it for a few months just because of the fact that it's combo doesn't fizzle, and with Leyline in play Iggy = GG. So much more consistent than Solidarity.

Oh, and a savage trick I put in my sideboard: 3x Brain Freeze. Solidarity runs a much higher risk of killing themselves trying to follow your storm with Meditate or Brainstorm when you pop a couple of these off on them mid-combo. Makes for a much more interactive matchup, too, lol.

URABAHN
09-06-2006, 09:37 PM
You were wonderful, Jesse...before and after the Tournament!

Hugs,

Allen