PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Miracle-Gro

Evil Roopey
09-07-2006, 11:52 AM
After testing EBA exclusively for a while now, I decided that I wanted a more aggro version of the deck. This is not to say that EBA is bad, but that my playstyle is more aggressive than anything else. This is what I came up with:

// Lands
1 [MR] Plains (3)
3 [R] Tundra
3 [ON] Flooded Strand
3 [8E] Island (1)
3 [R] Tropical Island
3 [ON] Windswept Heath
1 [MM] Forest (1)

// Creatures
3 [CS] Jotun Grunt
4 [RAV] Watchwolf
4 [PS] Quirion Dryad

// Spells
4 [U] Swords to Plowshares
2 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
3 [MM] Counterspell
4 [NE] Daze
4 [FD] Serum Visions
4 [MM] Brainstorm
4 [5E] Portent
4 [AL] Force of Will
3 [OD] Predict

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MM] Counterspell
SB: 3 [AT] Disenchant
SB: 3 [P2] Armageddon
SB: 4 [DK] Tivadar's Crusade
SB: 4 [UD] Compost

The whole reason people are playing Bears and Gooses over Dryads is because of the Goblin match. I haven't had any problems with this at all. Sure there are times when you have to play it and you can't protect it, but times are few and far between. Watchwolf and Jotun Grunt are cards that have never really been in the deck before considering people stopped working on it since those cards came out. Grunt hates GYs and Wolf is just big.

I think everyone knows how amazing Dryad is in the mirror match against Threshold, but I'll elaborate. She's fucking amazing. 7/7, 8/8, 9/9. What the fuck are they going to do? Cry. Cry like the little fucking bad decks they are.

Solidarity is obviously positive. Slightly weaker without Mage, but Mage can always go back in. You still have one damn fast clock though, with counters and such to back it all up.

I haven't done much testing except for against these decks, and overall it seems like it should work.

I should change my SN to I <3 Jotun Grunt.

Cavius The Great
09-07-2006, 12:09 PM
The deck looks solid. Have you considered Fact or Fiction, or is it too slow?

Warmonger
09-07-2006, 12:51 PM
The deck looks solid. Have you considered Fact or Fiction, or is it too slow?
I will asnwer that is impossible to fit in agrro-control.

CleverPetriDish
09-07-2006, 01:16 PM
I don't see why Fact or Fiction is impossible. In fact, it feeds the grunt. But since he has a manabase similar to Thresh, I would still say it is risky.

Alfred
09-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Have you considered Trygon Predator in this list? Or perhaps Gaea's Skyfolk? Actually, scratch that. I would still add the 3rd Jitte.

Warmonger
09-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Serum Visions cost U.
Brainstorm costs U.
Portent costst U

See the point? This is an aggro-control, so just drop Dryad and kill with it as fast as possible. No way back, no moment to stop. No time for getting card advantage.

DieMyDarling
09-07-2006, 02:33 PM
I would replace the Watchwolf with Anurid Brushopper. It is 3/4 for 3 mana, can fill the graveyard pr grunt and u can save him from removal and / or combat tricks

Warmonger
09-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Does anybody know how this deck works? :cry:

Old (very old) Gro used four copies Mox Diamond to drop these things on turn 1. I used to play 4 + 18 lands in old Ext version. This one seems to be faster, so doesn't need too much lands.

quicksilver
09-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Does anybody know how this deck works? :cry:

It plays a quiron dryad, then tons of cantrips making the dryad huge. It runs some other semi-fatties and countermagic to prevent them from stopping you from running them over.

Maverick676
09-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Why no mongoose?
he's the untargetable green lightning bot and with all those cantrips threshold
should be easy to get. Even if someone sides in graveyard hate you can go
"okay you answered my mongoose now what about my 9/9 dryad MUHAHAHA"

Volt
09-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Why no mongoose?
he's the untargetable green lightning bot and with all those cantrips threshold
should be easy to get. Even if someone sides in graveyard hate you can go
"okay you answered my mongoose now what about my 9/9 dryad MUHAHAHA"

I'm guessing it's because of anti-synergy with Jotun Grunt, which often ends up eating your own GY.

jazzykat
09-07-2006, 03:30 PM
This deck looks just right actually a few questions though:

Jittes are they necessary. Your dudes are relatively big and violent and there aren't many of them. Your thoughts?

Only 3 predict...you can look at the top cards of your library with a full 1/5 th of your deck, so you can normally set up a 2 card boost and it feeds grunt.

Only 3 grunt is this due to the graveyard intensiveness that it is.

Do you wish for the untargetability of mongoose in some situations? I play UGR thresh a lot and the fact that you can't target mongoose comes into play more often than I initially thought.

EDIT: OK, here is the quintessential question. What about Bob (didn't someone have to try and put him into a deck)? another color and wasteland danger?

Reverend Damaged
09-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Watchwolf is so good it hurts. I'm glad the deck runs that card. And the Jotun Grunt. Oh, Jotun Grunt <3

I'm eager to see more testing with this deck.

quicksilver
09-07-2006, 03:38 PM
I haven't been overly impressed with watchwolf. I think in legacy a 3/3 vanilla for 2 mana is just a little underpowered.

Lego
09-07-2006, 04:04 PM
I think in legacy a 3/3 vanilla for 2 mana is just a little underpowered.

What's that you say? Your 3/3s are on sale today for 1 mana a piece? And they come with free untargetability? Sure, I'll take four.

In all honesty though, I applaud what Roop is trying to do here. He's removed the relevance of the graveyard, allowing him to run Jotun Grunt maindeck, which seems like it should help a lot in the mirror. I think Watchwolf would be better as Meddling Mage though, and the loss of Nimble Mongoose seems less than fun.

Also, running equipment with only 11 creatures? How's the working for you? My suggestions, based on nothing more than random speculation:

-4 Watchwolf
-2 Umezawa's Jitte
-1 Daze
+4 Meddling Mage
+3 Pithing Needle

Amoeba-
09-08-2006, 02:06 AM
Quirion Dryad + Transguild Courier = Tech

laststepdown
09-08-2006, 02:40 AM
I'm not sure about that one...the ability only triggers once per spell cast.

Durahan
09-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Quirion Dryad + Transguild Courier = Tech

Um... Quirion Dryad + Transguild Courier = one +1/+1 counter on Dryad.

xsockmonkeyx
09-08-2006, 08:05 PM
I should change my SN to I <3 Jotun Grunt.

@ER I havent used this card much or played against it very often. Could you expand on the benefits and disadvantages of Jotun Grunt? Basically I want to know everything I should know about the guy.

Alfred
09-09-2006, 05:21 AM
@ER I havent used this card much or played against it very often. Could you expand on the benefits and disadvantages of Jotun Grunt? Basically I want to know everything I should know about the guy.

First of all, Jotun Grunt is basically the best bargain in terms of casting cost to size ratio in the format, just like Werebear for Threshold. However, Grunt is also incredible against Threshold, which is the most popular and probably the best deck in the format. Also, in a deck which has the ability to put an emmense amount of cards into the graveyard, Grunt can and games quickly. It's a great creature against almost every type of combo as well, because it comes out quickly and disrupts.

The problem with Grunt is that it can often be bad when facing decks that don't put cards into the graveyard and can force Grunt to play defense, like Goblins often does. A threshold type deck can put a lot of cards into the graveyard, but the Grunt will go away eventually.

Evil Roopey
10-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Well, I made T8 with this list yesterday at the D4D:

// Lands
1 [MR] Plains (3)
3 [R] Tundra
4 [ON] Flooded Strand
2 [8E] Island (1)
3 [R] Tropical Island
3 [ON] Windswept Heath
1 [MM] Forest (1)

// Creatures
3 [CS] Jotun Grunt
4 [RAV] Watchwolf
4 [PS] Quirion Dryad

// Spells
4 [u] Swords to Plowshares
3 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
2 [MM] Counterspell
4 [NE] Daze
4 [FD] Serum Visions
4 [MM] Brainstorm
4 [5E] Portent
4 [AL] Force of Will
3 [OD] Predict

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [AT] Disenchant

I cut a counterspell for one more Jitte and an Island for a Strand.

I ended up going 4-0 and then drew my next to rounds into the T8 and losing to Goblins in the T8. I played Goblins a total of 6 times over both days and had a 4-2 record against it. I played Solidarity twice and beat it twice and I never got the chance to play against Thresh.

Overall, I'm in love with the deck. Watchwolf was easily MVP for me. Turn 2 Watchwolf, turn 4 Jitte beats just about everything. I really should have won if it wasn't for my horrible playing in the top 8 match. Rediculous. Oh well, that's what happens when you don't get much sleep the night before.

I hope you all like the deck.

Roop

umbowta
10-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Alright, alright, alright already. I'm going to try the friggin deck, but, I hate Portent. Have you really been unable to find something else. Slow tripping sucks balls...especially when you just want to put some more counters on a Dryad for the win.
I'm almost willing to try Telling Time in the Portent slot. Yeah it costs one more, but, it's an instant, doesn't frickin slow trip, and still works as a Predict setup spell.

Citrus-God
10-09-2006, 06:07 PM
He runs 17 Lands. If you replace a 1cc Cantrip for a 2cc Cantrip, it's going to be a problem with the opening hands. I think your better off running Opt or Sleight of Hand instead of Portent.

Hanni
10-09-2006, 06:21 PM
It is important to Portent.

Evil Roopey
11-18-2006, 09:51 AM
You guys are retarded. I handed you a decklist that is amazing, Top8ed with the deck, and really should have done better but I just stopped caring, and yet still none of you give any attention to it.

Good thing everyone here is fucking stupid.

Bane of the Living
11-18-2006, 10:53 AM
I ended up going 4-0 and then drew my next to rounds into the T8 and losing to Goblins in the T8. I played Goblins a total of 6 times over both days and had a 4-2 record against it. I played Solidarity twice and beat it twice and I never got the chance to play against Thresh.

Did you beat the piss out of goblins pretty much because of Tivadar's Crusade? Is this card that needed in the board to keep gobs good? Now that TS is out I was wondering what you think about the real deal, Tivadar. Hes another good beater and he loves Jitte. Permanent answers are better than temporary ones. Besides Tiv can come in against all red decks unlike Crusade.

Mirrislegend
11-18-2006, 02:57 PM
If you're running Jitte, might Tivadar himself be a better SB choice than his crusade? Given that Jitte tends to ruin Goblins, then Jitte on a Pro-Red man would do the same, just harder.
I havent really compared the efficacy of the two strategies, but given that Tivadar helps you abuse Jitte even further, resulting in a faster clock, I think they may be close to equivalent. Thoughts?

EDIT: Damnit, I didnt read bane's post. Anyways, the point about how Tiv himself actually closes the game, as opposed to just holding off a crisis, still stands.

Citrus-God
11-18-2006, 03:08 PM
You guys are retarded. I handed you a decklist that is amazing, Top8ed with the deck, and really should have done better but I just stopped caring, and yet still none of you give any attention to it.

I play Hatfield Thresh a lot. Please dont target that towards me, as I know how important Portent is in a deck like this, but Umbowta was like, "I need a replacement for Portent," and I was like, "Heres Sleight of Hand/Opt, I'm not going to tell you why Portent is good because your just going to say it's a lame slowtrip."

And yes, your deck is fucking amazing. I'm running Serendib Efreet over Watchwolf right now, and I'm really liking his evasion and Jitte abuse, and Geese blocking.

umbowta
11-20-2006, 01:15 PM
I play Hatfield Thresh a lot. Please dont target that towards me, as I know how important Portent is in a deck like this, but Umbowta was like, "I need a replacement for Portent," and I was like, "Heres Sleight of Hand/Opt, I'm not going to tell you why Portent is good because your just going to say it's a lame slowtrip."

And yes, your deck is fucking amazing. I'm running Serendib Efreet over Watchwolf right now, and I'm really liking his evasion and Jitte abuse, and Geese blocking.You're right. I would completely say that Portent is just a lame slow trip. But, honestly, thats just my impatience and aggressive playstyle shining through.

Portent is like taking a chick out on a date and expecting the sex tomorrow. Screw that. I want it now. Brainstorm and Serum Visions tip it up, hit it from behind, and thumb the browneye. Mental Note is also instant gratification but its like gambling with the odds stacked against you. Slieght/Opt...sigh...I just can't win.

Anyway, I said I'm gonna try the damn deck. I played my last tourney with UGw yesterday and took second place. Fuckin ThunderBluff won it, damn the power of Digeridoo. Now listen, I'm gonna fuckin try the deck, Roop, with Portent dammit. I need only to pick up a few Jittes cause I traded mine straight up for Beta Sinkholes.

btw

Now that's an "up" post with character.

diffy
11-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey,

I've been testing with this style of decks (Miracle Gro and Hanni Fish) for the last few months now, and I must say that I am pretty overwhelmed by their showings... Great job Roopey for creating the future of the format (:P) : as I see, the future of Legacy lies in the hybridization of styles, in finding the pit breaking the rock paper scissors MetaGame... NQG was a first attempt to achieve this and was popular, but now these less hatable decks come accross and just do well.

However, I still have some suggestions and questions:

- As Anti~American4621 allready suggested, I've tested Serendib Efreets and am prety impressed with them, but drawing multiples suck... (-1 Wolf, +1 Efreet therefore) and therefore I took a Serra Avenger from Hanni Fish and replaced another Wolf for one (-1 Wolf, +1 Serra Avenger). The changes have been working very well until now and I would like to hear comments on them.

- Have any of you ever encountered Color problems like I have? I have found myself more than once in the situation I needed to fetch a Savannah... should we therefore fit one in the deck maybe?

- I have also made some minor sideboard changes (-2 Armagedon, +2 Ravages of War... just because of Meddling Mage) and added the new and quite broken Krosan Grip, replacing 2 Disenchants (Have you considered this, Roopey, and if yes, why didn't you add it to the Side?) (-2 Disenchant, +2 Krosan Grip)

- Regarding the Crusade vs. Tivadar discussion, why don't we just play a 3/1 split: Tivadar is ok when there are little threats on the table or when you are about to play a Jitte, but multiples suck and you just need that board cleaner sometimes

- Could you Miracle-Gro Masters maybe give me some advice on how to sideboard properly with this deck, especially on what to take out for the different Matchups?

Thanks in advance for all your comments

Aggro_zombies
11-20-2006, 06:35 PM
One question. Has anyone considered Plaxcaster Frogling here? It's another 3/3 for three, BUT it makes your guys bigger and untargetable. It would be so hawt to respond to your opponent's StP on your lethal Dryad with Frogling activation, giggle.

Also, how do you get the Dryad to push through? Lack of evasion makes it vulnerable to chumping and your only real recurring/mass removal is Jitte. Also, Roopey, your list is hawt shit.

Complete_Jank
11-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Watch Wolf is great. What many people don't realize is that most of the played creatures in the format tend to have a 2 toughness/power or less. Removal spells and abilities tend to only do 2 damage, with the exception of targeted removal. I have found 3 toughness creatures one of the most difficult problems for my main deck.

Complete_Jank
11-20-2006, 06:57 PM

LOL

I'm sure if you would have won, they'd still have questioned it.

Evil Roopey
11-23-2006, 05:55 PM
// Lands
1 [MR] Plains (3)
3 [R] Tundra
3 [ON] Flooded Strand
3 [8E] Island (1)
3 [R] Tropical Island
3 [ON] Windswept Heath
1 [MM] Forest (1)

// Creatures
3 [CS] Jotun Grunt
4 [RAV] Watchwolf
4 [PS] Quirion Dryad

// Spells
4 [U] Swords to Plowshares
3 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
3 [NE] Daze
4 [FD] Serum Visions
4 [MM] Brainstorm
4 [AL] Force of Will
3 [IA] Portent
3 [OD] Predict
3 [SC] Stifle
1 [DIS] Condemn

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip

This is my current list of the deck, just thought I'd get this out there.

BTW, why is Hanni Fish in Open yet this is in N&D?

dahcmai
11-23-2006, 06:07 PM
After playing a ton of different gro decks I would add at least a way to get trample somewhere. Whether it be the board and searchable (burning wish style) or main. There's nothing worse than a random Mother of runes stopping the Dryad cold. Berzerk being my fav. From that list the only way to deal with it is Jitte.

Evil Roopey
11-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Jitte + Counters are more than enough.

Citrus-God
11-23-2006, 10:11 PM
// Lands
1 [MR] Plains (3)
3 [R] Tundra
3 [ON] Flooded Strand
3 [8E] Island (1)
3 [R] Tropical Island
3 [ON] Windswept Heath
1 [MM] Forest (1)

// Creatures
3 [CS] Jotun Grunt
4 [RAV] Watchwolf
4 [PS] Quirion Dryad

// Spells
4 [u] Swords to Plowshares
3 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
3 [NE] Daze
4 [FD] Serum Visions
4 [MM] Brainstorm
4 [AL] Force of Will
3 [IA] Portent
3 [OD] Predict
3 [SC] Stifle
1 [DIS] Condemn

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip

This is my current list of the deck, just thought I'd get this out there.

BTW, why is Hanni Fish in Open yet this is in N&D?

Because nobody else plays with Dryads other than the two of us apparently...

Anyways, what's with having only 4 hard counters Maindecked, and like the out of place 5th one in the SB? Seriously, Stifles are only good against Combo and Goblins... Even Hard Counters are better against Solidarity. I seriously urge you to put those hard counters back in there.

keys
11-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Have you considered the red splash over white? The deck is much more explosive with burn instead of Swords/Condemn.

Take this for example:

4 Kird Ape
4 Quirion Dryad
2 Serendib Efreet

4 Force of Will
4 Daze
2 Counterspell
4 Brainstorm
4 Serum Visions
2 Predict

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Magma Jet
4 Fire // Ice
1 Isochron Scepter

4 Wooded Foothills
2 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
3 Volcanic Island
3 Tropical Island
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Forest

// Sideboard 15
3 Flametongue Kavu
3 Pyroclasm
3 Krosan Grip
2 Red Elemental Blast
2 Control Magic
2 Pithing Needle

The shell is similar to UGR Thresh but with more burn. Magma Jet replaces Portent here as cantrip 8-12, making Predict strong without having to dilute the deck so much. The goblins matchup is very strong, and it's immune to all graveyard hate, obviously.

xsockmonkeyx
11-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Yeah, but then you dont have to awesomeness of Jotun Grunt in your deck.

Aggro_zombies
11-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Have you considered the red splash over white? The deck is much more explosive with burn instead of Swords/Condemn.

Take this for example:

4 Kird Ape
4 Quirion Dryad
2 Serendib Efreet

4 Force of Will
4 Daze
2 Counterspell
4 Brainstorm
4 Serum Visions
2 Predict

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Magma Jet
4 Fire // Ice
1 Isochron Scepter

4 Wooded Foothills
2 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
3 Volcanic Island
3 Tropical Island
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Forest

// Sideboard 15
3 Flametongue Kavu
3 Pyroclasm
3 Krosan Grip
2 Red Elemental Blast
2 Control Magic
2 Pithing Needle

The shell is similar to UGR Thresh but with more burn. Magma Jet replaces Portent here as cantrip 8-12, making Predict strong without having to dilute the deck so much. The goblins matchup is very strong, and it's immune to all graveyard hate, obviously.
I'm inclined to think this list is very good, although I would probably do something like Plaxcaster Frogling over the Efreet (mostly because I can't come by Efreets easily around here). I guess the question now becomes, how necessary is Jotun Grunt? What roles does he fill in this deck and are there potential replacements in red, blue, or green such that you can still get his benefits without running white?

xsockmonkeyx
11-25-2006, 01:03 AM
If you are not running grunt then why would you play Kird Ape over Mongoose? I dont know, it seems like this deck would devolve into UGR thresh eventually if it wanted to incorperate the burn. Plus, an online jitte is much better in aggro control than a counter/burn scepter IMO. That was one of the main reasons to play Roopey-Gro (besides Jesus Grunt)

Hanni
11-25-2006, 02:08 AM
What about UGB with Confidant and Rotting Giant? Any aggro base like this:

4 Mongoose
4 Quirion Dryad
4 Dark Confidant
4 Rotting Giant

Seems pretty solid to me. A little heavy on threats, but 4 of them are card advantage anyway. That way, you get the benefit of minus'ing 4 cantrip for 4 card advantage/beatsticks. Ghastly Demise can replace StP, as well as a few others 1cc black spot removal.

The deck can then sideboard Duress if it fears Solidarity or the mirror.

keys
11-25-2006, 10:48 AM
If you are not running grunt then why would you play Kird Ape over Mongoose? I dont know, it seems like this deck would devolve into UGR thresh eventually if it wanted to incorperate the burn. Plus, an online jitte is much better in aggro control than a counter/burn scepter IMO. That was one of the main reasons to play Roopey-Gro (besides Jesus Grunt)

Kird Ape is played over Mongoose because it pumps Dryad, and it dodges graveyard hate. Plus, the Ape is often a 2/3 before an opponent achieves Threshold.

Jitte is obviously very good and could replace the Scepter if you feel it is better. But with my list, there is always something good to imprint whether it be Fire/Ice, Counterspell, or Magma Jet, which can singlehandedly win games outside of the Aggro matchup. The copied spells also pump the Dryad.

Evil Roopey
11-25-2006, 12:57 PM
I would appreciate talk of different color lists to be discussed in a different thread. This is for the UGw version of these decks. Feel free to start a discussion on which color combinations you think are the best in a new thread.

nightshade81
11-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Have you ever considered Misdirection? It was an auto-include in the older (way old) versions of Dryad-Gro. The card is relatively solid and keeps the Dryad on the table, plus it's a FoW in a counter war.

The card has a lot of pro's but it's major con is the fact it is 100% dead vs goblins (at least good goblins).

Evil Roopey
11-25-2006, 02:28 PM
Have you ever considered Misdirection? It was an auto-include in the older (way old) versions of Dryad-Gro. The card is relatively solid and keeps the Dryad on the table, plus it's a FoW in a counter war.

The card has a lot of pro's but it's major con is the fact it is 100% dead vs goblins (at least good goblins).

I considered it but went with Stifle instead because of it's pure versatility and it's amazingness against Goblins.

Citrus-God
12-31-2006, 03:22 AM
I found my reasons to play this over Hatfield Thresh....

1. It uses the same cantrip base, and because the creatures dont have Threshold, it makes this deck more aggressive, along with strong counter back-up.

2. It's not reliant on the graveyard.

3. I was watching Flashdance, and decided that movie was horrible... I named my Gro deck Flashdance. I love Jitte.

// Lands 17
3 Windswept Heath
3 Flooded Strand
3 Tundra
3 Tropical Island
1 Plains
1 Forest
3 Island

// Creatures 11
4 Watchwolf
3 Jotun Grunt
4 Quirion Dryad

// Spells 32
4 Brainstorm
4 Serum Visions
4 Portent
3 Predict
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
2 Counterspell
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Umezawa's Jitte

// Sideboard 15
3 Stifle
4 Tivadar's Crusade
2 Disenchant
2 Armageddon
3 Pithing Needle
1 Counterspell

I love the SB at the moment. The Stifles are so good against Goblins, as well as the Crusades. This deck slaps Solidarity around harder than ThreshGro. Jittes are busted, and I love them.