PDA

View Full Version : The EPIC Storm Primer

Bryant Cook
09-07-2006, 04:58 PM
What is The EPIC Storm?
"The EPIC Storm"(TES) is a Storm Based combo deck based around the card Tendrils of Agony. To help you play 10 spells and Tendrils you will need something more than your 7 card hand. This is accomplished by utilizing tutors, such as Burning Wish, Diabolic Intent, Infernal Tutor, and Plunge into Darkness. Additionally, Ill-Gotten Gains is used to increase the storm count by 4, but at a riskier price in this deck than in IGGy Pop. In essence, the deck TES is a combo deck that uses a increased amount of synergy to help you win the game(A few examples: Priest of Gix + Helm of Awakening, Priest of Gix + Plunge into Darkness + Second Sunrise). Synergy is very important because it helps the deck flow very easily. You'll notice a few different things about TES than other Tendrils based decks that may allow you to choose this one over others. TES uses creatures to it's advantage. Most storm decks don't run creatures, but this one uses creatures with Comes Into Play Abilities (CIP) that work to fuel the combo. Creatures with CIP abilities such as Priest of Gix, Trinket Mage, and Eternal Witness, are very synergetic with Second Sunrise, after you sacrifice them with one of your sacrificing outlets (Plunge into Darkness, Cabal Therapy, Diabolic Intent). Being 5 colors opens you up to the entire card pool in Legacy, both in the maindeck, and in order to use an efficient "Silver Bullet" sideboard.

Why The EPIC Storm?
There are many reasons to play decks X,Y,and Z, each deck has it's perks. One of the perks for playing this deck for me is that it's challenging; Playing a deck that requires you to think, a deck you CAN'T play on auto-pilot is something I enjoy. While being a very complex deck it is also a blast to play, killing your opponents between turns 1 and 3. It's also very consistant, and a cheap deck to build.

The Decklist
"The EPIC Storm" V. 2.0
Lands
4 City of Brass
4 Gemstone Mine
2 Cabal Pit

Creatures
4 Priest of Gix
3 Trinket Mage

Spells
1 Tendrils of Agony
2 Diabolic Intent
4 Dark Ritual
4 Lotus Petal
4 Cabal Ritual
4 Burning Wish
3 Infernal Tutor
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Helm of Awakening
4 Chrome Mox
1 Second Sunrise
1 Ill-Gotten Gains
3 Cabal Therapy
1 Snap
3 Plunge into Darkness

Sideboard
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Infernal Tutor
1 Ill-Gotten Gains
1 Recoup
1 Firebolt
1 Promise of Power
1 Shattering Spree
1 Cleanfall
1 Diminishing Returns
4 Xantid Swarm
2 Rebuild

Card Choices

The Mana Base

Cabal Pit- This land kills the one card combo fears the most, Meddling Mage. It's uncounterable removal for one of the deck's biggest weaknesses. Also you can target one of your own men in response to Second Sunrise if need be. Only tapping for black can be problematic, and it also deals you one damage. Between 4 City of Brass and 2 Cabal Pit you may end up doing yourself 10-12 damage before combo'ing. I wouldn't go any higher than 4/2.
City of Brass- It's life loss is hardly ever relevant, unless playing against a very fast aggro deck. The key reason it's in the deck is that it taps for all 5 colors.
Gemstone Mine- Has synergy with Second Sunrise, while tapping for any color. Doesn't deal you damage... You plan on winning before you can tap it 3 times anyhow.

Fast Mana

Lion's Eye Diamond- Another snyergistic card, cracking LED in resonse to a tutor effect can be game winning or crucial. Not quite Black Lotus but it's the best Legacy has to offer. With Second Sunrise it produces massive amounts of mana. I've often considered playing a MD recoup and often switch it in and out with a Plunge because discarding your hand can be troublesome sometimes.
Lotus Petal- The one time use Mox of your choice, a must include. This card is the sole reason we can get away with being 5 colors, It's ability to comeback with Sunrise/Ill-Gotten Gains is huge. Critical in allowing the turn 1 win.
Chrome Mox- It's card disadvantage can often be a hassle, but it's speed makes up for it allowing you to often go off turn 1.
Dark Ritual- Does this really need explaining? BBB for B. A key part to any black storm based deck.
Cabal Ritual- This card acts as Dark Ritual 5-8 with Helm of Awakening out, while Thresh'd it's better than Dark Ritual. This card makes chaining tutors and Ill-Gotten Gains alot easier to do, by giving you that one extra mana that is often needed. The card's casting cost(CC) is also another reason it is a must include, it gets around Chalice of the Void.

Tutors

Infernal Tutor- People often ask "Why, do you have one in the sideboard?" I believe that it is nessesary. It allows you to "loop or chain" tutors, through Burning Wish. This is very Important due to the fact that Burning Wish is a superior tutor to Infernal. Forceing yourself to be hellbent can often be very annoying, not to mention dangerous.Though the card is very good due to the fact that Ill-Gotten Gains can regrowth it back to your hand. Has amazing synergy with Lion's Eye Diamond, giving you hellbent. Remember you can cast this card even though it's not hellbent.
Diabolic Intent- Sacrificing a man can sometimes be a problem, but I've found 7 to be a decent number of creatures to support this card. When already playing creatures I figured this card would be an automatic 4 of because it's a demonic, but to support 4 you would require almost 10-12 creatures because it's dependant on them. Unlike other cards in the deck, that can use creatures to the cards advantage but doesn't need them. Remember it's an additional cost, which means you sacrifice then effects such as Second Sunrise. It's alot harder to chain tutors with this because of the additional cost, but Intent should be played because it doesn't have the drawback of hellbent.
Burning Wish- Possibly the best/most broken card in Legacy, this card gives you so much flexibility and resilience, simply incredible. The wishboard is able to be customized to metagames. Use it to fit your personal playstyle, that's the best thing you can do. Alot of people don't like Promise of Power and play Infernal Contract instead. If you don't like an Infernal Tutor in the sideboard, I'd highly recommend another tutor in it's place. Another tutor in the sideboard allows you to grab those 1 of's MD or simply chain tutors, getting that storm count high enough before you can tendrils.
Plunge into Darkness- I wanted more tutors because a problem I had with the deck was that it could produce a ton of mana but couldn't find Tendrils of Agony efficiantly. I tried Deathwish in it's place for awhile until I realized, Plunge can sacrifice creatures when going for that win while being a tutor than doesn't kill you, unlike spoils. Also, it has good synergy with Burning Wish.

Creatures

Trinket Mage- It fetches Lion's Eye Diamond to replace itself or add mana, while boosting the storm count 2. It is also used frequently to grab lotus petal to fix mana or generate Storm.
Priest of Gix- Better than Ornithopter? This is debatable. But with Helm of Awakening on the bored it acts as an unthreshed Cabal Ritual, which means it now produces mana. With two Helms it's another Dark Ritual that sacrifices for one of the many outlets.

The Rest

Tendrils of Agony- The WIN factor, the whole goal of the deck is based around it. With all of the tutors available, you are essentially running 13 Tendrils of Agony.
Second Sunrise- I like to pretend this card is Yawgmoth's Will, since it is the closest thing we have. Along with Ill-Gotten Gains it might as well be for Legacy. The deck isn't based around this card. It's simply one way you can win.
Ill-Gotten Gains- There's so many tricks you can do with this card it's discusting. The card single handily wins games, it increases your storm count by 4, get's back the discarded Tendrils of Agony. One of the advantages TES has over IGGy Pop, is that this deck doesn't need use the graveyard to win, so Leyline is rather unnessesary. The deck's ability to use it's graveyard is a bonus, but doesn't rely on it which is one of it's strengths.
Helm Of Awakening- I believe this card is a nessesary evil, It make my cards better. You will abuse this alot more than your opponent ever thought of. If your opponent is using it more than you, you probably were already in a losing situation.
Cabal Therapy- The reason I choose this over Defense Grid or Xantid Swarm maindeck is because it's a sacrificing outlet.
Snap-Effectively deals with Meddling mage while potentially adding mana, you can also always target your creatures to double the effect. Hardly ever a dead card.

Sideboard-

Recoup- A great card to wish for against control. Often they let Burning Wish resolve if your storm count isn't too high, so grab Recoup and use that against them. Often they will only have 1 counterspell when you attempt to win.
Firebolt- A cheap answer to Meddling Mage, it doubles as a win condition if you only reach a Tendrils of 16-18.
Promise of Power- Card draw/Win Condition in one. With helm of Awakening this card is much better than it seems, making a demon token can be very dangerous. In certain situations it may be nessesary. You CAN go aggro Priest/Rabi(Mage) do attack if nessesary, Promise of Power helps that cause.
Shattering Spree- Kills pesky artifacts such as Chalice of the Void/Trinisphere. Combo's worst fear, remember than Replicate copies can kill chalice. With Trinisphere if you pay RRR you can kill 3 artifacts, just keep that in mind.
Cleanfall- Kills enchantments, I want a sideboard that can deal with anything. Even Solitary Confinment, although you should be able to win before they can lock you out.
Diminishing Returns- Draw 7, I try not to use this unless I know I will fizzle or that my opponent can't disrupt me. It's more of a back-up or "Oh, Shit" button.
Xantid Swarm- Protection, the best kind...This was origionally Defense Grid but why lower cost's with helm? You can sacrifice it after combat to one of your outlets to help you combo which is a bonus over Defense Grid.
Rebuild- Versatile protection. It can be boarded in against control to play more like traditional combo with Hurkyl's and artifact mana. Or it can be used to save you from Chalice/Trinisphere death. In recent months, the meta has shifted toward artifacts, and so this card has gotten better and better.
Match-ups

Threshold(50% maybe 45%)
The key to winning this match-up is your openning hand. Make sure to keep a decent/strong hand, because you have to decide if you're going for the throat or drag it out until the long run. Building up therapies by using Infernal or using/flashing back and Burning Wish is another way to safely go off. If you can try and bait counterspells, using Burning Wish when you have no storm count is another safe way. Because they either use a counterspell or you get Tendrils. If they don't have a clock feel free to go for the long run, but remember don't wait too long.
SIDEBOARDING
- 4 Priest of Gix
+4 Xantid Swarm

Solidarity(60%)
Like Threshold you want to win as fast as possible, but the difference in this match-up is that if you wait to combo out you lose. Try and go off when they have 0-3 land, because this way it's easier for you to successfully combo out. Also, Cabal Therapy is even better in this match-up. If you hit High Tide, then combo you'll have a greater chance of winning.
SIDEBOARDING
- 4 Priest of Gix
+4 Xantid Swarm

Goblins(70%)
The worst thing that can possibly happen to you is that they draw 2x Wasteland and you dont have Lotus Petal/Chrome Mox/Dark Ritual or a Helm out. You simply race them, with you being the faster deck. It's rather hard to describe how to play this match-up because they barely have any disruption besides wasteland, it's alot like goldfishing.
SIDEBOARDING
None

Playing the Deck
Because of this deck is so hard to play I will be goldfishing an opening hand. Theres so many options to achieve the same goal with this deck, each way is different and has its own advantages/disadvantages.

Opening hand: Gemstone mine, City of Brass, Helm of Awakening, Second Sunrise, Diabolic Intent, Trinket Mage, Lotus petal.
On the Draw: Cabal Ritual.
Play Gemstone, pass.
Draw: Priest of Gix.
Play City of Brass, Tap 2 play Helm of Awakening, pass. (Now others may disagree, but this hand is a more of a turn 3 hand then turn 2.)
Draw: Cabal Therapy.
Tap Gemstone, play Cabal Ritual, Cabal Therapy naming X, play Priest of Gix, Flashback X. BBB in pool, tap City of Brass . Play Trinketmage getting a Lotus Petal, play both lotus petals. BB in pool, cast Diabolic Intent sacrificing Trinketmage. In response, crack both petals for W. Cast Second Sunrise getting back (Priest of Gix, Trinketmage, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal.) Mage CIP get Lion's eye Diamond, BBBB In pool. Get either Ill-Gotten Gains and do the Sunrise combo once more or loop a few Infernal Tutors In response crack LED until your storm count is up a few past 10. Cast Tendrils of Agony.

That hand was keepable, not too broken but not horrible either. A solid turn 3 win. I could've attempted to go for the turn 2 win, but it wouldn't have been as easy to combo off, I probably would have fizzled.

Citrus-God
09-08-2006, 12:05 AM
I like it. It seems to have more digging power and more consistent opening hands.

How has Xantid Swarm doing for you? Why Swarm over Defense Grid?

I really liked the 1 Recoup maindecked back then. It had mad synergy with so much in this deck. May I ask why it was cut from the current list?

Poron
09-08-2006, 05:21 AM
Why not Infernal Contract and Cruel Bargain??

Warmonger
09-08-2006, 06:10 AM
This deck has other, better sources of card advantage; from the other side because of it's hard cost we might draw something that fizzles - it's not Draw4.

I like this deck seems pretty consistent and has many ways to go off, as well to deal with opponent's threats.

Bryant Cook
09-08-2006, 06:38 AM
I like it. It seems to have more digging power and more consistent opening hands.

How has Xantid Swarm doing for you? Why Swarm over Defense Grid?

I really liked the 1 Recoup maindecked back then. It had mad synergy with so much in this deck. May I ask why it was cut from the current list?
Xantid Swarm was chosen over Defense grid due to the fact that Helm of Awakening and Defense Grid have no place in the same deck. I would often have to board out helm for Defense Grid, which seemed alright until I kept getting weak-er hands because of it. Priest of Gix is an ornithopter without helm, which sucks in your opening hand. Also that Xantid Swarm can be sacrificed to Diabolic Intent or one of the other effects.
Recoup was cut due to the fact to really abuse the card you were forced to set it up. Which isn't always horrible but it's annoying to see it in your opening hand as well. Recoup was also droped to make the deck 60 cards, after Ewokslayer's horid referance;I don't want to be the dog with shit on my fur.

Where do you mean exactly? Maindeck or Sideboard? If maindeck the reason why is this deck is a tutor based Tendrils deck, based off consistancy. Random draw X's do not make your deck consistant at all. You have a greater chance of drawing jank than what you acually need.
If you were talking about the sideboard over Promise of Power, sure if you want run a draw 4. I would just prefer to draw 5 for 1 more mana, if I have Helm's out its the same. You also have the option of B.Wish for Promise and go beatdown on your opponent.