PDA

View Full Version : [New Card Discussion] Stronghold Overseer

Drathro
09-08-2006, 09:24 AM
The latest preview card is here:

Stronghold Overseer (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/af135)
3BBB
Creature - Demon
Flying
Shadow
BB: Creatures with shadow get +1/+0 until end of turn and creatures without shadow get -1/-0 until end of turn.

Seeing as I obsessively play black, I think this is pretty sweet. You've got a Mystic Enforcer? Feh! Attack for 8.

"Unblockable" is good. Pump is good. 5 toughness is excellent. 6 Mana casting cost is very questionable, but not prohibitive, especially with Dark Rituals in the format. I'm thinking ... potential finisher for MBC?

Edit: Heh yes, 3+3 = 6. i are a jeanyuss. Edited message, thanks quicksilver.

quicksilver
09-08-2006, 10:51 AM
5 Mana casting cost is questionable

6 mana. If it ws 5 it would be insane, but at 6 I think it is very good. Don't be surprised if you see this popping up here and there an Legacy.

Cavius The Great
09-08-2006, 10:58 AM
I think it might be kinda neat in MBC. Especially if you decide to run Overwhelming Forces over Decree of Pain. :tongue:

MasterBlaster
09-08-2006, 11:52 AM
It has flying and shadow!

Would this be a good reanimation target? If you have 4 black open you could hold off goblins unless they drop a Piledriver.

wmagzoo7
09-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Yeah this guy does seem very good as all aspects being that he is an unblockable 5/5 that can neutralize many attacks done by goblins for 4 mana just makes him even better. Also I could see him fitting into a reanimator decklist no matter what format it is except for T1 for obvious reasons.

AngryTroll
09-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Looks cool to me. Reanimator seems like a great place for him, but he could give Helldozer a run for the new Morphling! (/sarcasm) (maybe).

Seriously, though, the ability to swing for 5 every turn and still "block" all attacking creatures gives him super vigilance. True, he does not have the haste of Akroma, and could be double bolted, but seriously, I like him.

Maverick676
09-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Actually he would have to be triple bolted

Ignore me I need to L2Math

Jander78
09-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Actually he would have to be triple bolted

?? Please explain?

quicksilver
09-08-2006, 04:15 PM
?? Please explain?

Just like helldozer is the new morphling, shock is the new bolt, haven't you heard?

Poron
09-08-2006, 08:51 PM
very strong ability, indeed. -1/-0 to all "normal" creatures at the same time you pump yours is a sort of priceless.

can change entire matchups imho...