PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Time Machine

TheDarkshineKnight
09-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Alright, so, I decided enough is enough and that someone on this planet needs to break the Mizzium Transreliquat/Time Vault combo. As such, I have made this very, VERY rough deck list in the span of about thirty minutes.

Great Furnace x4
Mishra's Factory x4
Seat of the Synod x4
Vault of Whispers x4
Glimmervoid x4
Ancient Tomb x4

Crucible of Worlds x3
Chromatic Sphere x4
Dark Ritual x4
Darksteel Colossus x1
Mizzium Transreliquat x4
Time Vault x4
Thirst for Knowledge x4
Goblin Welder x4
Mox Diamond x4
Transmute Artifact x4

--------------------------------------------------------

Great Furnace: It's a land, it's red, and it's an artifact.

Vault of Whispers: It's black; see Great Furnace.

Seat of the Synod: It's blue, see Great Furnace

Glimmervoid: I have a lot of artifacts, so, this is cool.

Mishra's Factory: Win condition which is recurrable with Crucible.

Ancient Tomb: Yay, mana!

Crucible of Worlds: Recurrs artifact lands and Factories.

Chromatic Sphere: RAWR. Card drawing artifact.

Dark Ritual: More mana.

Darksteel Colossus: He and Goblin Welder are best friends.

Mizzium Transreliquat: Combo piece.

Time Vault: The other combo piece.

Thirst for Knowledge: Card draw and dumps artifacts into my graveyard which can be recurred by Welder or Crucible.

Goblin Welder: Welder does his stuff.

Mox Diamond: Gets me mana quick, and let's me get an artifact land into the graveyard which can later be recurred with Crucible.

Transmute Artifact: Uh, it let's me get pieces into play.

Since this is my first list, it can obviously be improved on; as such, help would be appreciated.

Jaynel
09-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Darksteel Colossus won't be welded out that often, as it doesn't stay in the bin that long. I think a Sundering Titan would be a lot better (also considering your mana base).

Some lock pieces, perhaps? Tangle Wire is pretty dirty to transmute into something after its counters run out. Meditate would also fit well with the lock theme, if you go that direction.

JeremM
09-08-2006, 09:56 PM
You need some way to work around Needle and Null Rod, as either one of those will win the game against the deck. You could splash white for Vindicate and Disenchant, as that'll provide some much-needed removal.

laststepdown
09-09-2006, 03:23 AM
Some lock pieces, perhaps?
I thought Vault and Mizzium were. You not taking another turn? That's Lockdown like Chronotog-Kismet-Stasis.

Jaynel
09-09-2006, 08:52 AM
I don't think you skip turns with this combo. From what I figured out, it goes like this:

Time Vault and Mizzium Transreliquat are both in play.
Activate Mizzium Transreliquat (which becomes an untapped Time Vault).
Tap Mizzium Transreliquat, take another turn after this one.
End your turn (Mizzium Tansreliquat is no longer Time Vault).
Begin your "Time Walk" turn, Mizzium is able to untap.
Repeat.

Lock pieces are good with Transmute Artifact, and I don't know how long the combo takes to assemble, so they can buy some time into finding both artifacts and having at least 3 mana on the board (and lands that won't deal you 2 damage each turn).

Good luck. I like the deck.

laststepdown
09-09-2006, 04:11 PM
You do skip turns with this combo.

Just not your own.

Cavius The Great
09-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Alright, so, I decided enough is enough and that someone on this planet needs to break the Mizzium Transreliquat/Time Vault combo. As such, I have made this very, VERY rough deck list in the span of about thirty minutes.

Great Furnace x4
Mishra's Factory x4
Seat of the Synod x4
Vault of Whispers x4
Glimmervoid x4
Ancient Tomb x4

Crucible of Worlds x3
Chromatic Sphere x4
Dark Ritual x4
Darksteel Colossus x1
Mizzium Transreliquat x4
Time Vault x4
Thirst for Knowledge x4
Goblin Welder x4
Mox Diamond x4
Transmute Artifact x4

Great Furnace: It's a land, it's red, and it's an artifact.

Vault of Whispers: It's black; see Great Furnace.

Seat of the Synod: It's blue, see Great Furnace

Glimmervoid: I have a lot of artifacts, so, this is cool.

Mishra's Factory: Win condition which is recurrable with Crucible.

Ancient Tomb: Yay, mana!

Crucible of Worlds: Recurrs artifact lands and Factories.

Chromatic Sphere: RAWR. Card drawing artifact.

Dark Ritual: More mana.

Darksteel Colossus: He and Goblin Welder are best friends.

Mizzium Transreliquat: Combo piece.

Time Vault: The other combo piece.

Thirst for Knowledge: Card draw and dumps artifacts into my graveyard which can be recurred by Welder or Crucible.

Goblin Welder: Welder does his stuff.

Mox Diamond: Gets me mana quick, and let's me get an artifact land into the graveyard which can later be recurred with Crucible.

Transmute Artifact: Uh, it let's me get pieces into play.

Since this is my first list, it can obviously be improved on; as such, help would be appreciated.

I don't mean to knock the deck, but wouldn't a build with a 5/3 Stompy shell be superior?

Drkdstryer
09-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Well isn't that the point? You're supposed to BUILD IT and TRY IT OUT, instead of blindly saying that a different shell MIGHT be better. 5/3 doesn't give you Thirst or Welder, which are both ridiculous cards.

TheDarkshineKnight
09-10-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't mean to knock the deck, but wouldn't a build with a 5/3 Stompy shell be superior?

Uhhhhhhhh, no? Considering you essentially win the game if you get the pieces out quick, what's the point in delaying the combo by adding beatsticks instead of tools which allow me to goldfish quicker?

Cavius The Great
09-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Uhhhhhhhh, no? Considering you essentially win the game if you get the pieces out quick, what's the point in delaying the combo by adding beatsticks instead of tools which allow me to goldfish quicker?

Umm, maybe consistency. An StP really ruins your day and relying on 4 manlands isn't that fast of a clock. A Pernicious Deed annihilates your deck, and alot of decks run that card these days. :wink:

Complete_Jank
09-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Your mana base is very delicate and wastelands will cause a world of hurt, as you have no basic lands, not to mention that they can be destroyed as artifacts.

Glimmervoid isn't that great in your deck, as you have only one set of artifacts (Chromatic Sphere's) that can be dropped on turn one with out having to have multiple cards, (I.E. Dark ritual and another artifact, or another land and a Mox Diamond.) so if you get those in your openning hand you will probably be muliganning, or losing your land.

You also don't have any answer to Null Rod or Pithing Needle.

I would recommend against the Artifact lands because of the rare off chance of Meltdown. I run a burning wish deck, and that is always a sideboard card.

Take a look at my build of this deck: http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4223

Cavius The Great
09-11-2006, 04:57 PM
I would recommend against the Artifact lands because of the rare off chance of Meltdown. I run a burning wish deck, and that is always a sideboard card.

That's exactly why I mentioned Pernicious Deed, becuase it wipes out all their artifact lands.

I like the combo but i don't like the other 52 cards it's based around. Maybe a more Stax approach would be the way to go. And don't fuckin laugh at that, Smokestacks is bad with infinite turns but is great alone and combos well with Time Vault whenever the combo isn't in play. And when you do, you sac the stax and win anyways.

Rod of Ruin anyone? :wink:

Complete_Jank
09-11-2006, 05:47 PM
That's exactly why I mentioned Pernicious Deed, becuase it wipes out all their artifact lands.

I like the combo but i don't like the other 52 cards it's based around. Maybe a more Stax approach would be the way to go. And don't fuckin laugh at that, Smokestacks is bad with infinite turns but is great alone and combos well with Time Vault whenever the combo isn't in play. And when you do, you sac the stax and win anyways.

Rod of Ruin anyone? :wink:

Smokestacks does not combo well with Time Vault. The new wording on Time Vault prevents the old combo from working. Smokestacks isn't that good with this combo, and Tangle Wire doesn't really work to well either.

We've play tested these and you need to be able to compete with 3 decks to confirm a deck as ready to play in this format. (Solidarity, Threshold, and Goblins) There are other decks, but these are the main stay of the format right now. We play test against others, but unless a deck has about a 50/50 against those three, it usually is pushed aside.

parallax
09-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Dark Ritual seems bad in this deck. I would run fewer artifact lands, more City of Traitors.

I think Trash for Treasure would be an appropriate card in this deck.

I don't understand the Darksteel Collosus. You have no way to play him.

Windux
09-12-2006, 01:17 AM
I think, 5/3 Shell IS superior:

4 City of Traitors
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Wasteland
4 Mishras Factory
3 Blinkmoth Nexus
3 Crystal Vein

4 Mox Diamond
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Tangle Wire
4 Mizzium Transrequilat
4 Time Vault
3 Trinisphere
3 Sword of Fire and Ice

4 Synod Centurio
4 Juggernaut
4 Phyrexian War Beast

Hier mal mein Sideboard:
4 Smokestack
3 Caltrops
3 Pithing Needle
2 Duplicant
3 Powder Keg

Thats what my build looks like.
I played it Sunday on a 60 People tournament, ending 4-2 9th.
I Lost against TurboElves (+TnN 2 DSCS and Hunting Pack...really nice deck and smart player) and a RGB player, drawing Burning-Tree Shaman and 2 Naturalize to destroying my combo AND my Creature equipped by Sword of Fire and Ice, which would be both game :(

We also though about, to play 8 Islands and Transmute Artifact or maybe even Thirst for Knowledge and less Creatures, to play more Combo-Control with lockparts.
But I don't have 4 Transmute to test.

Cavius The Great
09-12-2006, 10:02 AM
I think, 5/3 Shell IS superior:

I agree. The best thing about 5/3 is probably Chalice to prevent your creatures from getting Swords. That's something Darkshine's original build was lacking, something to protect Darksteel Colossus. Not only that, but disruption in the form of Trinisphere also prevents the combo from being disrupted making the deck more consistant IMHO.

Complete_Jank
09-12-2006, 06:09 PM
I think the best way for this deck is to go off and get the combo as soon as possible. With only a few win conditions in the deck once you have unlimited turns you will get what you need eventually and win.

Cavius The Great
09-13-2006, 10:57 AM
I think the best way for this deck is to go off and get the combo as soon as possible. With only a few win conditions in the deck once you have unlimited turns you will get what you need eventually and win.

I disagree. I think the deck needs Chalice of the Void for it to be successfully. That being said, you can't then base the deck around one casting cost cards, so that would eliminate the combo route. The deck wins fast enough with all the mana acceleration that 5/3 provides and on top of that, the deck is much more resilient.

Either that or run Duress in Darkshine's build so you can cast it and snatch an StP before you drop Colossus.

Windux
09-13-2006, 11:14 AM
I disagree. I think the deck needs Chalice of the Void for it to be successfully.
I can't agree on thatfor 100%.

If you need Chalice, you also need another Win-Condition as a 2cc Card.
It's just too often, where you put Chalice on 2, because you NEED to.
If you do this, you can't play Time Vault anymore and can't go combo.
That's why I play the deck in the 5/3 shell.
Also Pithing Needle is just worth a little smile on my face.
Also the player, who boarded in Null Rods against me and lost to some 4/4, that are unblockable, because Tangle Wire taps him out and Trinisphere doesn't allow him to cast some blockers ;)

Just board the combo out and smile :D

Cavius The Great
09-13-2006, 11:57 AM
I can't agree on thatfor 100%.

If you need Chalice, you also need another Win-Condition as a 2cc Card.
It's just too often, where you put Chalice on 2, because you NEED to.
If you do this, you can't play Time Vault anymore and can't go combo.
That's why I play the deck in the 5/3 shell.
Also Pithing Needle is just worth a little smile on my face.
Also the player, who boarded in Null Rods against me and lost to some 4/4, that are unblockable, because Tangle Wire taps him out and Trinisphere doesn't allow him to cast some blockers ;)

Just board the combo out and smile :D

I was actually referring to Chalice for 1 in order to stop STPs on my creatures. That was really my main concern.