PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] U/W Confinement

thejack
09-09-2006, 06:56 AM
I’ve been working on this deck for a while now and its starting to rise in power. After building at least 10 different versions of the deck I finally came up with this build.
The way to the list was rather hard.
I dropped the green (It used to be G/U/W) and with it life from the loam disappeared from the list. This gave me some extra problems to deal with. I had to be able to keep my solitary confinement in play on more than one way then squee, goblin Nabob. That made me add in Mikokoro, Centre of the Sea. The white and blue as the only 2 colours did allow me to throw in enough counter, meddling mage’s and removal to survive past early game and build myself a way towards the lock. The lock obviously isn’t a win (sometimes it is) so I threw in 2 nice pro B/R creatures for 3cc mystic crusader and 2 ]Meloku the Clouded Mirror’s.
I guess most of the other cards are rather obvious why they are in the list, if you wonder why something is in there just ask.

The deck has proven rather strong before sideboard, after sideboard it becomes really hard to win the game because of all the enchantment/grave/land hate people tend to have on sideboard. The sideboard that is on the current list is the sb that was played on the last tournament. (the deck finished really bad on that tournament, but it was piloted by a player who made way to many mistakes)

I’ve been thinking about building a surprise sideboard filled up with beaters like exalted angel for example. Then just side out the whole lock and aggro for the kill. This hasn’t been tried nor playtested yet. It will be after the weekend most likely.

This is the list from the last tournament

Mainboard

4 counterspell
4 force of will
4 solitary confinement
4 impulse
4 brainstorm
2 pithing needle
3 enlightened tutor
4 swords to plowshares
29 spells

3 meddling mage
2 mystic crusader
2 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
4 squee, goblin Nabob
11 creatures

4 flooded strand
3 tundra
1 Seat of the Synod
4 adarkar wastes]
3 Mikokoro, Centre of the Sea
2 gemstone mine
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Plains
1 Island

Sideboard

3 chill
3 seal of cleansing
3 tormod's crypt
2 pithing needle
2 null rod
2 jester’s cap (it was used as a kind of a test to get rid of all the hate at once)

I can’t give the stats on the meta because those aren’t accurate, and those that were are missing…

Please tell me what you guys think of the list and the general idea behind it

(Is it possible to use card tags on this forum?)
The Jack

Rastadon
09-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Surely there has to be something better than Mikoro. It gives your opponent cards, it's easily destroyed by your opponent, and you have to pay mana for that? Atleast with Howling Mine you only pay 2 once.

thejack
09-10-2006, 05:21 AM
so far mikokoro is the best thing I've found,
the howling mine idea has a little problem: you don't have a draw step to draw the extra card in
mikokoro isn't that bad, yes wasteland does destroy it and so do pure LD decks. yet still you have the option on playing squee up and down the grave for the win then.
the massive card advantage your opponent gets is indeed a pain, but in my opinion a land is still harder to target then a creature. so the card advantage you'r giving is something you have to live with till you draw out a squee (=win if the opponent doesn't have enchantment/grave hate on the mainboard) or a nice meloku to go for an overrun with tokens.
the mana isn't really a problem, you don't need it anyway and you draw at end of opponents turn.

xsockmonkeyx
09-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Why gemstone mine and adarkar wastes? If your running a threshold guy then wouldnt it be better to add the last tundra and run more fetches?

thejack
09-10-2006, 08:01 AM
taking out the gemstone mine is indeed something that should and will be done. a fourth tundra is an option but so is adding in 2 more basics (wasteland is really hard to fight atm). I won't run more fetch because I haven't got enough to fetch on. If I would run like 6 fetches I would need at least 10 or 11 fetchable lands, otherwise if you draw all of them out you have a land that doesnt produce mana and just does you 1 damage to get to threshold faster. since I only run (like it is atm) 5 fetchable lands (most likely going up to 7 after gemstone is replaced) it is a real waste to add in more fetch. yes I could replace the adarkar wastes too but the question is: for what land? if I run 4 tundra's I can only add in basics or shocklands. In my opinion its better to keep running on four fetchlands and indeed add in the fourth tundra.

xsockmonkeyx
09-10-2006, 08:18 AM
4 flooded strand
4 tundra
2 Polluted delta
2 Plains
4 Island
1 adarkar wastes
3 Mikokoro, Centre of the Sea

How about this? Im assuming 20 lands.

Hanni
09-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Why not run Intuition to help setup the Nabobs in the graveyard? That seems like a better idea than Mikokoro to me, although it does make you susceptible to graveyard hate. Then again, you have counters and Meddling Mage for that. Something to consider I suppose.

thejack
09-10-2006, 09:03 AM
that mana base does look really solid (more solid then mine), ill give it a try next time I testplay. normally mana isn't really a problem but if the mana base can be improved why not.

the intuition isn't really needed to set the lock up, by slowing down the opponent and using cantrips like impulse a squee will show up soon enough.

Also I've been testing manplan sidboard now and I got the feeling it works rather well.
4 exalted angel
4 serra avenger (yea its not released yet, but still. This is a very good creature for a control deck)
3 silver knight
2 tormod's crypt
2 disenchant

It would go like this then
-4 solitary confinement
-4 squee, goblin nabob
-3 enlightened tutor
+4 exalted angel
+4 serra avenger
+3 silver knight
I've been testing it versus U/G/W threshold mostly and I was able to win half of the time.(I took out needle for crypt too) The only thing is that it is a bit white mana intensive but that shouldn't be a problem.
what do you guys think of this idea?