PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] W/U Bird Control Deck

nocigar87
09-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Bird Control Deck (looking for a cooler name)
(inspired from a odyssey block deck)

9 Plains
2 Islands
1 Tundra
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Windswept Heath
1 City of Brass
2 Adarkar Wastes
3 Wasteland

2 Weathered Wayfarer
2 Patrol Hound
4 Tireless Tribe
4 Savannah Lions
1 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
2 Meddling Mages
2 Exalted Angel
2 Glory

3 Divine Sacrament
1 Moat
2 Orim’s chant
1 Enlightened Tutor
4 Swords to Plowshare
3 Battle Screech
4 Circular Logic
2 Deep Analysis
1 Umezawa`s Jitte

Total: 60

First of all, to answer the obvious question of why all these screwed up mana sources, missing fetch lands, etc., it's because of my restrained budget. But, for your information, more fetches would definitly help this deck because it helps getting faster to ******** for divine sacrament and it thins the deck at the same time. I hope that clears up the question.

For this next flaw, I will need your help. I'm not sure if 20 lands is enough for this deck. When playing, it happens sometimes that I'm seriously mana screwed, especially against decks that don't need alot of lands into play to be effective (useless weathered wayfarer). In most games, I simply have enough mana or the wayfarer helps me out when in need of lands. It also enables me to fetch wastelands when in need which helps alot. That being said, lack of mana is not an important issue in that deck but it still happens sometimes.

Lastly, I used to play disenchants in main deck but i took them out. Instead, I play 4 in my sideboard. Should i play some in main?

But, this deck doesn't only have flaws, it's a great competitive deck to my opinion. It pretty much has a chance against any deck even in game 1 because of the various control elements.

Tireless tribe is, to my opinion, the key card of this deck. Not only does it help getting glory or deep analysis to the graveyard and madness Circular Logic, but on top of that, it never dies by damage. I can't even count how many times Tireless Tribe helped me counter a 1st turn Lackey.

Don't hesitate on giving your opinion about the deck and suggestions are very welcome! If you ever have a chance to try that deck, you should. It's not that expensive to build (except moat but you can play without it, it just helps) and it's successfull in legacy (for me at least :P). Thanks in advance.

Mirrislegend
09-11-2006, 12:31 AM
-20 Lands is absolutely too few. 22 as an absolute minimum, given that this deck isnt designed to run of very few lands.
-Brainstorm? Any card draw? Any counterspells other than Circular Logic? (which, btw, needs more discard outlets. Aquamoeba anyone?)
-You definitely need to nix some of those 1, 2, and 3 ofs. The process for that involves deciding what you want the deck to be: control or aggro control. Which is way to in-depth for this time of night, for me. But right off the bat, up the meddling mage to 4.

xsockmonkeyx
09-11-2006, 02:39 AM
Bird Control Deck
(quick fix)

3 Plains
3 Islands
4 Tundra

2 Windswept Heath
4 Flooded Strand

4 Wasteland

4 Aquamoeba
4 Tireless Tribe

1 Savannah Lions
3 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
4 Meddling Mages
2 Exalted Angel

2 Wonder

4 Brainstorm = youre playing blue
2 Deep Analysis

4 Swords to Plowshares

4 Force of Will = youre playing (enough) blue
4 Circular Logic

2 Umezawa`s Jitte (maybe 2 more creatures instead)

The land base I present may be out of your budget but I think it represents the direction you should be heading in. Also I included more discard outlets to help cast your spells. I think the better incarnation would be wonder (maybe you could do something with wonder/moat) because your mages and lions gain evasion to break a midgame stand off. Isomaru needs to be a 3 of at least. The extra 1 toughness provides enough of an advantage in this format to offset the drawback of possibly drawing multiples. I REALLY dont think divine sacarament is necessary in the main deck. Purhaps it would be useful as a sideboard card to fight pyroclasm/infest or hold off mongooses.

TheBirdMan
09-11-2006, 10:10 AM
I would take out the tireless tribes and put in 4 suntail hawk, mostly because u play moat and jitte and hawk is a good combination.

M.Maddox
09-11-2006, 12:04 PM
IMO he's not playing enough blue for FoW, and he's building this deck on a budget.

I would try this:

6 Plains
3 Islands
2 Coastal Tower
1 Tundra
2 Hallowed Fountain (get a 2nd?)
2 Flooded Strand (trade your heath for one, and try to get a 2nd)
2 Adarkar Wastes
3 Wasteland

4 Silver Knight/Soltari Priest/Soltari monk (metagame dependant)
4 Tireless Tribe
3 Savannah Lions
4 Meddling Mages (2 more!)
3 Battle Screech
2 Exalted Angel

4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Divine Sacrament
2 Orim’s chant
4 Brainstorm/Standstill/Accumulated Knowledge
2 Jitte (can you get more?)
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Moat

Warmonger
09-11-2006, 12:33 PM
I suggest to discard couple of cards and play it in extended, as legacy doesn't seem to pump this deck in any way.

M.Maddox
09-11-2006, 12:34 PM
True.

nocigar87
09-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Thx everyone for posting! I really appreciate it

In all, I can see that glory doesn't make the cut for any of you so I will play it in sideboard and leave some slots for something else. Now,

to monkey: your deck idea looks interesting but it's way TOO budget :P and is a bit too much control for me (4 FoW add = $$$ + control). But, looking at your version, I'm sure I could do something good with it. I will add more draw sources though. Thanks

to Maddox: I like your idea based on the fact that you keep the same idea out of the deck. The only problem I find is the mana . 21 lands without wayfarers is borderline, I would maybe suggest 22? and I would switch coastal towers for adarkar wastes (I'm not that poor :P) because life shouldn't be a problem, I usually beatdown the opponent faster.

On top of that, accumulated knowledge is a great idea instead of deep analysis as I will end up drawing more and I'll have more cards in graveyard for ********.

For now, I'll keep mage count at 2 because it may take a while to find 2 more and I'll replace the 2nd jitte you suggested for tutor (it may be less good because I lose a draw, but your version still has a variety of 4 good artifacts/enchantments for it to be useful)

Lastly, I cut some cards to get my 4 Logics back to have a bit more control, so consequently, I kept Patrol Hound in the deck. Although all of you cut that card of the deck in your post, I like it better than Aquamoeba (because of divine sacrament) and because of discard ability for Logic and early Screech.

About the metagame, I believe cutting on 2 2-droppers won't screw up the metagame as I now have more options with 2 lands. Thanks again everyone! and keep on suggesting ideas! I like what your are saying.

Here is the updated version after your posts:

W/U Tribe Control

7 Plains
3 Islands
1 Tundra
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Flooded Strand
4 Adarkar Wastes
3 Wasteland

4 Tireless Tribe
2 Patrol Hound
4 Savannah Lions
2 Meddling Mages
2 Battle Screech
2 Exalted Angel

4 Circular Logic
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Divine Sacrament
2 Orim’s chant
4 Accumulated Knowledge
1 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Moat
1 Enlightened Tutor

M.Maddox
09-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Looks good :)

nocigar87
09-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Tomorrow, there's a legacy tournament in my neighborhood so I'll try it out!

For now, I'm missing 4 AK and 1 soFI but I'll find a way to get them ;). Wish me success and mostly no mulligans! :cool: