PDA

View Full Version : Osyp on Legacy

The Marco
09-11-2006, 01:03 AM
Hey guys Osyp ran an article today on SCG (for what its worth...)!

If you want to check it out:
http://www.starcitygames.com/

Apparently Iggy Pop is the best deck in the format... Really...

Anyways!

herbig
09-11-2006, 01:24 AM
He did have some awesome things to say about the format:

"To conclude, I would just like to make a plea to Wizards of the Coast. Even though some people at this event lived as far away as Virginia, everyone seemed to know each other. The Vintage and Legacy community are much more organized and devoted than Wizards gives them credit for, and it's a shame there aren't more events that can cater to this very loyal group of people. It seemed like the majority of the people there weren't there just to try and win a piece of Power or forty dual lands, they legitimately loved the format and really enjoyed playing it. If this many people can care for a format as this community does, it seems like the least Wizards could do is offer more than one tournament a year for them to compete in."

I think he must have missed the Solidarity matches though with his Goblins/Threshold/IGG metagame analysis. He also spelled Mr. Nightmare's name wrong unfortunately but hey we know who he is!

on1y0ne
09-11-2006, 02:11 AM
It's a premium article, so not everyone is going to be able to read it.

Nightmare
09-11-2006, 07:18 AM
GOD. Is my name that hard to spell? Doug, thanks for setting it straight in the boards.

Also, he had a nice plea at the end for Wizards to give us more big events. I'm glad to see it coming from a name pro like Osyp.

scrumdogg
09-11-2006, 10:18 AM
He was supportive of the format, even if his view of the format is limited & simplistic - this is positive exposure. He didn't get your names right, were you surprised? You guys are Legacy players, he neither knows nor cares who you are. He didn't act like an ass or write an article that made me want to set him on fire (of course, he being separated from DeRosa might have had a positive effect....), bonus.

Nightmare
09-11-2006, 10:23 AM
He was supportive of the format, even if his view of the format is limited & simplistic - this is positive exposure. He didn't get your names right, were you surprised? You guys are Legacy players, he neither knows nor cares who you are. He didn't act like an ass or write an article that made me want to set him on fire (of course, he being separated from DeRosa might have had a positive effect....), bonus.
Am I surprised he got my name wrong? No. Does it still bug me? A little. At least all the people who matter (ie: Legacy Players) know who he meant. Like I said, this article is great for everyone when it comes from someone with the professional clout of Osyp. I don't know if you guys noticed or not, but he's been to like every big 1.5 event in the tri-state area. I think we have a fan!

scrumdogg
09-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Am I surprised he got my name wrong? No. Does it still bug me? A little. At least all the people who matter (ie: Legacy Players) know who he meant. Like I said, this article is great for everyone when it comes from someone with the professional clout of Osyp. I don't know if you guys noticed or not, but he's been to like every big 1.5 event in the tri-state area. I think we have a fan!

And you should be irritated, it is a bit dismissive. He does either seem to enjoy the format or he is seriously bored.....and thinks he can beat us because we're not well known enough to have to spell our names correctly.....

Ewokslayer
09-11-2006, 10:40 AM
And you should be irritated, it is a bit dismissive. He does either seem to enjoy the format or he is seriously bored.....and thinks he can beat us because we're not well known enough to have to spell our names correctly.....

Chill, it is a misspelled name. It isn't like there is an easy reference for him to find the correct spelling if he decided to take the time.
You seem to be putting a whole lot of malice behind a misspelled name.

Nightmare
09-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Chill, it is a misspelled name. It isn't like there is an easy reference for him to find the correct spelling if he decided to take the time.
You seem to be putting a whole lot of malice behind a misspelled name.I beat a high-calibur pro. In fact, I kicked his ass. It wasn't even close. 90% of the match was him resolving Brainstorm, staring down 2 Meddling Mages and a Jotun Grunt at 8 life. I smashed him. I want people to know I did. If that makes me malicious, then so be it.
As for a place to check the spelling, he could always, you know, look at the top 8, or even the FINALS to find my name.
That said, I'm not really THAT upset about it, but it does irk me a bit. I'm sure you'd be put off if he called you Kevin Devindorf, too.

Ewokslayer
09-11-2006, 11:11 AM
I beat a high-calibur pro. In fact, I kicked his ass. It wasn't even close. 90% of the match was him resolving Brainstorm, staring down 2 Meddling Mages and a Jotun Grunt at 8 life. I smashed him. I want people to know I did. If that makes me malicious, then so be it.
As for a place to check the spelling, he could always, you know, look at the top 8, or even the FINALS to find my name.
That said, I'm not really THAT upset about it, but it does irk me a bit. I'm sure you'd be put off if he called you Kevin Devindorf, too.

In fact my name has been spelled wrong on starcity when Anusien had my decklist in front of him with my name typed out. I PMed him and he corrected it. I certaintly didn't think Anusien was been malicious about it as scrum was suggested with Oysp. It is perfectly understandable that you want your name spelled correctly.
However, until today and the TO posted the standings it was difficult to find where your name is stated in relation to the tournament. Obviously he could have gotten the spellings easily the day of the tournament but after the fact it seems nearly impossible without a lot more work than should be required for a name.

Kevin? Where did that come from?

Edit: I might have actual comments about the article once I get home and can read it, Stupid work computer not working with SCG membership.

Nightmare
09-11-2006, 11:18 AM
In fact my name has been spelled wrong on starcity when Anusien had my decklist in front of him with my name typed out. I PMed him and he corrected it. I certaintly didn't think Anusien was been malicious about it as scrum was suggested with Oysp. It is perfectly understandable that you want your name spelled correctly.
However, until today and the TO posted the standings it was difficult to find where your name is stated in relation to the tournament. Obviously he could have gotten the spellings easily the day of the tournament but after the fact it seems nearly impossible without a lot more work than should be required for a name.
If I could PM Osyp, I'd have it corrected (if I really cared that much). the funny part is, this conversation makes it seem like it's a big deal, but really, I'm just bored at work. I posted my report on like 4 message boards, if he reads any of them (it's possible he doesn't) he could have found it there. Also, he came with Jason, the guy I split Rd. 7 with, and I'm sure he knew my name since it was in his report as well.

Kevin? Where did that come from?
I was pointing out that no one likes their name screwed up. Thanks for making my point for me. :wink: Also, I think I knew a kid named Kevin Devindorf once.

Ewokslayer
09-11-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm just bored at work.
Me too

I posted my report on like 4 message boards, if he reads any of them (it's possible he doesn't) he could have found it there. Also, he came with Jason, the guy I split Rd. 7 with, and I'm sure he knew my name since it was in his report as well. I don't think your report actually has your name in it. So he could have referred to you as Nr. Nightmare in his report but I doubt that would have been helpful.

I was pointing out that no one likes their name screwed up. Thanks for making my point for me. :wink: Also, I think I knew a kid named Kevin Devindorf once.
I understood the point, just not the choice of Kevin. But apparently I do look like a Kevin and you once knew someone with the name.

Phantom
09-11-2006, 11:52 AM
It's a premium article, so not everyone is going to be able to read it.

Is there a way for non-premium members to read it, like posting it on here? Or is that horribly illegal?

Nightmare
09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Is there a way for non-premium members to read it, like posting it on here? Or is that horribly illegal?It's a violation of SCG's site policy. There isn't really much more than a tournament report, plus what Herbig quoted (Must be nice to have a free Premium Membership, ya mooch :wink:), so don't feel too bad about missing it.

Bane of the Living
09-11-2006, 06:33 PM
I beat a high-calibur pro. In fact, I kicked his ass. It wasn't even close. 90% of the match was him resolving Brainstorm, staring down 2 Meddling Mages and a Jotun Grunt at 8 life. I smashed him. I want people to know I did. If that makes me malicious, then so be it.

First off I think its lame for SCG to make this article Premium because most Legacy players like me dont give a shit about a premium account since the articles are usually based off Standard.

Second, altho I know your enjoying your spot in the sun, victory against Joe Black; I will reitterate, in the Legacy format, he is not a pro caliber player. Congratulations for tromping him but he was playing IGGy against White Thresh. You should've told him to just go grab lunch.

I for one, really appreciate his input and interest in not only our format but our community. Kudos to him, he is someone with a voice, a mtg poster boy. We need a few of those to watch our backs.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
09-11-2006, 06:40 PM
So Osyp writes an article talking about what a great, underappreciated format Legacy is, and the response is to call him a pompous jackass, lambast him for not getting someone's name right, and talk about how he's not so great- aside from winning a couple PTs, what has he even done anyway, right?- and he can totally come around to a Legacy tourny again, next time he wants his butt kicked.

Oh, so that's why people hate Legacy players.

The Marco
09-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Take it for what it is...good advertising for a format that needs it. Unless some of you would rather keep the format underground and not officially supported... we need people like Osyp and Pikula to advertise what a great format Legacy really is... so what if they do not know everything about the format.

scrumdogg
09-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Take it for what it is...good advertising for a format that needs it. Unless some of you would rather keep the format underground and not officially supported... we need people like Osyp and Pikula to advertise what a great format Legacy really is... so what if they do not know everything about the format.

Exactly, which was my point. The banter about the name-bit was exactly that. If I wanted to lambast him, there would have been no doubt that he was being lambasted. No place to check info....other than here, or checking with Ray....or reading the fucking pairings/standings....or taking legible notes - yeah, there were zero options. In short, Devindorf, get the stick out of your ass :)

Tacosnape
09-12-2006, 12:45 AM
So Osyp writes an article talking about what a great, underappreciated format Legacy is, and the response is to call him a pompous jackass, lambast him for not getting someone's name right, and talk about how he's not so great- aside from winning a couple PTs, what has he even done anyway, right?- and he can totally come around to a Legacy tourny again, next time he wants his butt kicked.

QFT times 5 Billion.

A lot of Legacy players need to stop being so emo and accept the fact that no matter how much we might want to think we're an 'elite' format, the truth is that just not that many people are getting into it. We needed someone who's recognized to show a little interest in the format.

Anarky87
09-12-2006, 01:14 AM
I think for the most part, the issues about names in the beginning of the thread are merely jesting. And if not, well, then come on, grow up. I've been called Rick Shipman, Nick Shipmar (At Gencon) and even Rachel (Long and strange story). Point is the correctness of your name in his article is kind of moot. The overall focus is that a pro player brought the spotlight to our format and also apparently mentioned how much fun he had playing in Legacy. This is the kind of attention we've all been wanting, no? So who cares who didn't spell someone's name right. People will listen to him and think about what he's said because he's a pro. And in doing so they will hopefully trickle their own way into our format and expand its horizons.

Artowis
09-12-2006, 01:41 AM

Jack beat me to this. And I can't agree more.

Nightmare
09-12-2006, 07:52 AM
First off I think its lame for SCG to make this article Premium because most Legacy players like me dont give a shit about a premium account since the articles are usually based off Standard.Already, you've clearly stated that you haven't read the article, and as such, your opinion of it is nothing more than a bitch session about Premium.

Second, altho I know your enjoying your spot in the sun, victory against Joe Black; I will reitterate, in the Legacy format, he is not a pro caliber player. Congratulations for tromping him but he was playing IGGy against White Thresh. You should've told him to just go grab lunch.I made it very clear that this is a matchup of my dreams to play against any pro. If you honestly think the cards in your deck (be they duals, power, or shocklands) make any difference in your playskill level when you're at the level Osyp is at, you are DEAD wrong. He was, by far, the best player in that room, and although he has little experience in our format, he still played extremely tight.

So Osyp writes an article talking about what a great, underappreciated format Legacy is, and the response is to call him a pompous jackass, lambast him for not getting someone's name right, and talk about how he's not so great- aside from winning a couple PTs, what has he even done anyway, right?- and he can totally come around to a Legacy tourny again, next time he wants his butt kicked.I thought he was a straight up good dude. I also think his article was great. I corrected two people now who have said he isn't a great player (obviously he is). I'm sure he will be a contender in any Legacy event he plays in, as soon as he can take the time to learn the format.

Guys, Ewokslayer and I were only kidding around yesterday. You all need to chill the hell out.

Ewokslayer
09-12-2006, 08:17 AM
The decklists are starting to go up on SCG.

Solidarity 22nd place Brian Diefendof Miscellaneous 2006-09-10 Stratford, Connecticut, United States
Sigh,
I guess this is ironic.
Irony Blows.

Anusien
09-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Hey, blame that one on the DCI. I'm double-checking names versus the standings list.

By the way, if I miss a name, and it's possible since I know approximately 0 of you hoes, IM me (Anusien on AIM), PM me, or e-mail me. I do have the capability to fix that, after all.

When the fuck did you become insightful?
If I say I agree with Jack, does it break the space-time continuum?

TheDarkshineKnight
09-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Maybe.

MattH
09-13-2006, 12:13 AM
And what if I said I agreed with him? Can I get a 'definitely'?

Legacy: Elitism, at Bargain Prices*!

*Actual elites sold seperately.