PDA

View Full Version : TML Open 1 - Deck List

kabal
09-11-2006, 07:59 PM
There lists are available here (http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t%5BC1%5D=leg&start_date=2006-09-01&end_date=2006-09-20)

Ebinsugewa
09-11-2006, 08:03 PM
There list are available here (http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t%5BC1%5D=leg&start_date=2006-09-01&end_date=2006-09-20)

Yeah, the top 15 of them. Frown.

Watcher487
09-11-2006, 08:49 PM
I just love the fact that they call Truffle Shuffle GWB Control and leave Eon Blue Apoc alone.

kabal
09-11-2006, 09:01 PM
What is everyone think of the Vial Affinity build:

Artifacts
4 Aether Vial
3 Cranial Plating
4 Terrarion

Artifact Creatures
4 Arcbound Ravager
4 Arcbound Worker
4 Frogmite
2 Myr Servitor
2 Ornithopter

Artifact Lands
1 Darksteel Citadel

Creatures
3 Atog
4 Disciple Of The Vault

Instants
3 Fling

Lands
2 Blinkmoth Nexus

Sorceries
4 Thoughtcast

Artifact Lands
2 Ancient Den
4 Great Furnace
4 Seat Of The Synod
4 Vault Of Whispers

Lands
2 Glimmervoid

Allot closer to what I normally run, except s/Myr Servitor/Myr Enforcer/. Not sure if Sevitor was a mistake in adding the list to SCG or if they really playing it.

I think Thoughtcast is a must... never quite sure how the builds running green for Berserk can reliably draw in since it is also in the form of 2s.

Ta Jugs
09-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Will these lists be on the main page?

kabal
09-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Will these lists be on the main page?

Yes, Anusien just stated @ SCG that all 108 should be available by Wednesday of this week. Which means the link on the homepage will be added then. Not quite sure why having the link there is that important?

scrumdogg
09-11-2006, 10:34 PM
I just love the fact that they call Truffle Shuffle GWB Control and leave Eon Blue Apoc alone.

Anusien & his consistency :) Gotta love that naming convention, cuz Eon Blue Apocalypse obviously describes the deck purpose to a T. And the irony is that the deck was originally proposed by Roopey, a Virginian & proud member of the "I got banned everywhere for being An Ass Club"

TheInfamousBearAssassin
09-12-2006, 04:29 AM
Am I the only one that noticed that that deck is in no way, shape, or form, Eon Blue Apocolypse?

Eldariel
09-12-2006, 08:17 AM
The other Faerie Stompy-deck in Top 16... I mean, Quicksilver Dragon? WTF? No, seriously, Quicksilver Dragon? It wasn't even played in T2! Oh, and Fabricate? With Quicksilver Dragon? WTF!

EDIT: Oh yea, 23 lands. O.o? I wanna chat with that fellow.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
09-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Well, it's bigger than Werebear, dodges StP and flies. And it's legitimately badass.

Obfuscate Freely
09-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Am I the only one that noticed that that deck is in no way, shape, or form, Eon Blue Apocolypse?

It's closer to EBA than Roopey's list is. For reference, here (http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=12162.0) is an ancient thread about the deck (from 2002), and the relevant list:

//EBA (Eon Blue Apocalypse)
//The Mana (cover your eyes, its bad)
4 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Tundra
1 Underground Sea
1 Flooded Strand
1 Adakar Wastes
1 Underground River
1 Gemstone Mine (it gets a little better after this)
4 City of Brass
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 Black Lotus
1 Sol Ring
3 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine

//I'm Playing WW/u!
2 Savannah Lions
3 Swords to Plowshares
3 Meddling Mage
1 Dismantling Blow

//I'm playing mono-u!
3 Ophidian
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
1 Fact or Fiction
3 Mana Drain
4 Force of Will

//I'm playing sui!
4 Duress
4 Phyrexian Negator
2 Chainer's Edict
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Yawgmoth's Will

2 Vindicate (didn't fit anywhere else)

Now, I don't know the history of EBA, but this is the oldest thread on it I could find on The Mana Drain, and I think it's pretty safe to say that Roopey didn't create it and that Rob Costanza took more inspiration from the Vintage lists than from Roopey's. Roopey's deck is just another Gro list, anyway.

That said, I agree that Anusien is a douche not to call Truffle Shuffle by its name.

EDIT (http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=11481.0): Another old link.

kabal
09-12-2006, 10:43 AM
That said, I agree that Anusien is a douche not to call Truffle Shuffle by its name.

Well, he at least took the time to input them into SGC database, which im sure is a manual process. For that some thanks should be given.

Watcher487
09-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Well, he at least took the time to input them into SGC database, which im sure is a manual process. For that some thanks should be given.

It actually should be cut and paste and that's about it. There isn't much to actually taking decklists from one source to another on-line.

quicksilver
09-12-2006, 12:37 PM
It actually should be cut and paste and that's about it. There isn't much to actually taking decklists from one source to another on-line.

I beleive he has to type them all out since we submitted the deck lists on paper.

Watcher487
09-12-2006, 02:09 PM
I beleive he has to type them all out since we submitted the deck lists on paper.

That's just too much work to physically. There has to be a way to just cut and paste certain aspects of the decklist together. You should have a list of general cards/decks listed off then all you need to do is just cut/paste the basics with a little bit of typing for all of the weird stuff you get like Quicksilver Dragon.

quicksilver
09-12-2006, 02:11 PM
That's just too much work to physically. There has to be a way to just cut and paste certain aspects of the decklist together. You should have a list of general cards/decks listed off then all you need to do is just cut/paste the basics with a little bit of typing for all of the weird stuff you get like Quicksilver Dragon.

I would think it would be quicker just to type each deck list then to try to find a list online for each one, then make changes, then compare each list card for card to ensure that they are exactly the same.

Watcher487
09-12-2006, 02:21 PM
I would think it would be quicker just to type each deck list then to try to find a list online for each one, then make changes, then compare each list card for card to ensure that they are exactly the same.

Well as an example I have a general list for Goblins, and what I have is a notepad doc with the general list on it but it doesn't have numbers (ie. ' Goblin Matron') All I would do is just plug in the numbers and just add in the oddball cards that pop out. Especially since SCG has the deck database/generator it especially shouldn't be difficult to just plug in a name (especially since his naming convention should help with this, since it's all his stuff) and he gets a general list/ recent list.

Shriekmaw
09-12-2006, 04:26 PM
What is everyone think of the Vial Affinity build:

I think Thoughtcast is a must... never quite sure how the builds running green for Berserk can reliably draw in since it is also in the form of 2s.

I thought the build of your affinity list is a very decent one. I do have some concerns with 14 color cards used in the main deck. I believe the right number and the number that has worked for me very well in the past is a range from 8-12 color cards excluding lands. You always want a very high artifact count in the deck, since the deck is Affinity after all.

I do prefer the Berserk version of the deck, just because of the quicker win factor. I do agree that sometimes your hand is sub par and thoughtcast would be very good to see in your hand.

If I ran thoughtcast, I would go with my basic core (you guys should know what it is by now) and cut 2 berserks, and 2 pithing needle md for 4 thoughtcast. Also the 4 tree of tales would be replaced by 4 seat of the synod, but I guess you would figure that out.

A lot of people would make the argurment that while Berserk and Pithing Needle may be good in some matchups, Thoughtcast is probably good all the time. I can't really argue with that point.

I have found myself just winning a lot of games on the back of Berserk alone, so that probably why I favor that version more. Either version is very good in my opinion. You do lose naturalize by cutting green, which I found to be handy a lot of times while sideboarding.

PM me if you would like and I can send you my current list. I just didn't think posting added lists would add a lot to the discussion in this thread.

Great Job on the tournament and hope to see maybe one day: Affinity as a Deck to Beat.

kabal
09-12-2006, 04:39 PM
I thought the build of your affinity list is a very decent one.

Thanks for the feedback, but just to clear things up this wasn't my build or was I at this tournament. Granted, I wish I could have been instead I was playing casual Legacy at DragonCon at day.

On a side note, the build I play is similar, except that I run Enforcer.

Anusien
09-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Oh man, <3 ObfuscateFreely. Yep, I'm a douche alright. Actually the first time I saw the GWB list was before I ever read about it on the Source, had no idea what to call it, and named it GWB Control. If I ever get the chance to go back and fix all the names of the lists like I plan to, I may change it. I'm not sure to what though, since the arguments about consistency don't hold. The "Truffle Shuffle" lists tend to be radically different, even through events.

I was actually really struggling to figure out what to call that EBA list. It has only the same strategy and few cards in common with traditional EBA, but it has very few of the elements we associate with Fish today (Vial, Standstill, manlands). It's definitely not 3C Angel Stompy. It might end up being Fish, but I'll evaluate that later once I get more of the lists in.

Yes, I get the lists on paper, and type them up. As far as I know, that's how everyone does it. I could keep a Goblins list, a Threshold list, and a few others handy, but you're discouting a few things: #1) filling in numbers for that would take longer than just typing them in, #2) people run weird decklists. The time consuming part of this is not physically typing the decks. The more time consuming parts are looking at the list to get the name (and double checking to follow convention on Survival lists, combo lists, stuff like that), getting the name and placement of the player right, and then reading the lists. Want to make judges and me fall in love with you, and facilitate tournaments? Type your lists. A few of you do this for the SCG events (<3) but no one did it for TML. Not only does it really slow me down if I have to figure out what the hell you wrote, but most of you write these at the absolute last minute, so it's all illegible scrawl.

Shriekmaw
09-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback, but just to clear things up this wasn't my build or was I at this tournament. Granted, I wish I could have been instead I was playing casual Legacy at DragonCon at day.

On a side note, the build I play is similar, except that I run Enforcer.

I personally love Myr Enforcer in the deck and believe there is not a reason I could think of to run less than 4 copies. A 4/4 creature that can come down for free is difficult for any deck in legacy to handle, especially multiples.

I've seen some not so good decklists of Affinity make Top 8, which just shows the broken the Affinity mechanic is in the game.

Don't hestiate to ask if you have any questions about the deck or matchups in general. I'm always looking for ways to improve the deck or sideboard strategies.

Zilla
09-12-2006, 05:55 PM
I was actually really struggling to figure out what to call that EBA list. It has only the same strategy and few cards in common with traditional EBA, but it has very few of the elements we associate with Fish today (Vial, Standstill, manlands). It's definitely not 3C Angel Stompy. It might end up being Fish, but I'll evaluate that later once I get more of the lists in.
Technically, if you wanted to be 100% consistent, when you don't know what to call a deck, the logical conclusion would have been to call EBA "UWB Aggro Control", which would follow the same convention you used for Truffle Shuffle. It would, of course, be equally non-descriptive, but at least it would be consistent.

In any case, I'm not trying to pick a fight. I think we put far too much emphasis on this argument. It has a great deal less consequence to the health or advancement of the format than everyone seems to believe, regardless of which side of the argument you're on. If people are actually interested in the format and in specific decks, they're going to put in the minimal research required to get exact decklists and draw their own conclusions about what it should be called.

legacyplayer0
09-12-2006, 07:43 PM
3c Angel Stompy should definitely not be labeled Angel Stompy. It's a whole lot different in many many ways.

NANTUKO_SHADY
09-12-2006, 07:58 PM
3c Angel Stompy should definitely not be labeled Angel Stompy. It's a whole lot different in many many ways.

Yes... the biggest difference is that 3c Angel Stompy is actually somewhat decent. The name should really be switched to Bruised Weenie. As the deck is White Weenie, with a splash of black and blue! :smile:

Bryant Cook
09-12-2006, 08:02 PM
How about that they both carry the same gameplan, achieve it the same way, AND play 75% of the same cards... Therefore it's the same deck. Theres no significant differance between the two decks, that is so grand that a name change is in order.

legacyplayer0
09-13-2006, 06:35 AM
First of all, it's not a total name change, it's just an indication that it has more colors than that awful mono-white version. Angel Stompy to 3c Angel Stompy is not a total name change, but it is an way of letting people know that yes, there is a difference. Also, the game plan is a lot different. 3cAS has disruption and card manipulation. It plays more like a combination of traditional AS and Gro than just AS.