PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Palinwake Control

ShaheenSoorani
09-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Hey legacy players! I'm not very good at legacy, but I've been know to be better than average in other formats and now I'll give this format a shot. I went 6-2 at GP Philly, top 8ed a dual for duals, and other little things here and there but nothing really amazing. Heres what I'm going to be playing at the dual for duals.

3 Mirarris Wake
3 Palincron
4 Counter Spell
4 Force of Will
2 Fact or Fiction
3 Cunning Wish
2 Intuition
1 Stroke of Genius
1 Regrowth
4 Sword to Plowshares
2 Decree of Justice
3 Wrath of God
4 Brainstorm
3 Krosan Verge
4 Tropical Island
4 Tundra
2 Savanah
4 Windswept Heath
3 Flooded Strand
2 Island
1 Plains
1 Forest

Sideboard

1 Intuition
1 Moments Peace
1 Stroke of Genius
1 Forbid
1 Capsize
1 Disenchant
4 Meddling Mage
3 Tabadors Crusade (whatever that gob wrath is =/)
1 Rule of Law
1 Arcane Lab

Just one of those bad looking control decks really. Most of the decks I run look pretty bad on paper, but work suprisingly well. Like I said, I'm no legacy master, but I enjoy playing this deck and I have pretty good game against many of the decks in the format. The only deck that mutalates me is solidarity game 1, but game 2 I have a decent amount of board for the deck. Mirarri's Wake ftw!

Parcher
09-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Damn Ali, you sure do love you a Cunning Wish.

First thoughts:

1) Threshold will pick this apart. You will never get a Wake, Palinchron, or FoF to resolve. Wrath is sub-optimal against them, as they have no need to overextend. And this dosen't seem fast enough to make Decree matter. I know you love Wing Shards, and it helps against Thresh greatly.

2) Graveyard Hate. In addition to helping against Thresh, you will need serious help vs. Ichorid, or any Loam based deck. The Loam draw engine is as fast as yours, and is uncounterable. Ichorid is rare, but only a complete hoser such as Crypt or Morningtide can stop the engine. Wake+Decree isn't even good enough As even if cast before you die, they all will have flying. Crypt also helps against IGGy-Pop.

Goblins and Tide sholud be passable post-board, and this will wreck all of the mid-range Aggro (Pikula, Angel Stompy, etc.). But as amazingly as I know you play U/W, you really need to address the graveyard issue.

The only other major hole I see is only one Disenchant effect. There are a great many decks that abuse Artifacts and Enchantments, and having 1 is almost useless against them, even if you can wish for it. I'm sure you're intimately familiar with Affinity. Remember how broken it was before the bannings? How people were maindecking Oxidize and Electrostatic Bolt? It's worse in Legacy. And though not a standard, has been showing well lately. So I expect it in force at Roanoke.

Good to see you on The Source.

Mad Bomber
09-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Ok so i think the deck looks pretty interesting.

I just can't help but notice that you play the following:

Palincron
Stroke of Genius
Cunning Wish

So why not just leave one High Tide in the board and put an auto win combo into your deck?? Just food for thought :wink:

Amoeba-
09-15-2006, 02:03 AM
For graveyard hate maybe you should play Morningtide. It's strong, effective, and only costs 1W to play.

ShaheenSoorani
09-15-2006, 12:50 PM
1 high tide wouldn't be a bad idea.

Isn't there a better answer in legacy than morning tide? An instant answer from blue?

Actually I think threshold would get destroyed by this deck. Resolving wake becomes a cute option, because this game turns into trench warfare between a aggro control deck (being threshold) and a control deck (this) where nearly every card has to be countered. We know threshold plays silly cards like daze, and only has 8 real counters so just play around daze and eventually one of your wraths, facts, wishes for card draw/counter spell, wake, palincrons, regrowth for one of them again, and/or krosan verge and out mana them will happen. I think this would be a nearly impossible matchup for threshold on the contrary, and even if all those fail in some freak way you always have a big decree.

Once some graveyard hate is added, that would improve some of the matchups stated early. And maybe for affinity a hurkles recall in the sideboard wouldn't hurt.

parallax
09-15-2006, 01:06 PM
What, no Rewinds?

The best graveyard hate in blue instant is probably Stream of Consciousness. I don't think Ichorid is likely to put up strong numbers in a Legacy event. I've never seen it played. I would expect to see Affinity, but Force, Swords, and Counterspell should give you long enough to Wish for Hurkyl's Recall.

Parcher
09-15-2006, 04:41 PM
You have one way to stop Mongoose. Wrath. And that's not coming down before turn five. Especially since verge is a prime Needle target for them. They won't care about Decree until turn eight or so. You've already taken at least seven damage by then, and still can't mount an offence if you do Wrath.

That little shit is way more effective than you would believe when you have no creatures larger than he. I would seriously condsider the mentioned Hurkyl's in the board, as well as a way to stop the 'Goose.

ShaheenSoorani
09-17-2006, 04:12 PM
I added hurkles recal, but I really think that mongoose is overrated, and is only attacking for 3 on turn 3 +, and far to slow to be a threat.

Cavius The Great
09-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Have you considered Exploration? It might speed up the deck a bit making Mirari's Wake come into play a couple turns sooner.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
09-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Oh god oh god oh god. I so want this deck to be good.

Honor the Fallen would be effective Ichorid/Reanimator graveyard hate you could wish for, but pretty ineffective against Life from the Loam, Iggy Pop, and Threshold. Right now I think your weakest card is Intuition, as you have no special way to abuse the card. Running Stifle in that slot would probably be randomly strong, hitting a number of cards in every matchup, and improving Goblins and Iggy Pop as matchups. You might also be able to cut a land for another Regrowth. The card does have very strong synergy with Fact or Fiction.

Suggestion; in addition to the Mages, as additional combo hate try -2 RuleofLaw/ArcaneLab, -1/2 something else, probably Crusades, +3/4 Glowrider. Denial-Beats conversional sideboard= the win.