PDA

View Full Version : [Deck Idea] Jar-Tarded

Alfred
09-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Magus of the Jar is a spoiled card from the new set Timespiral, and it is essentially Memory Jar in creature form with 3UU as a casting cost. The idea of this deck came to me as sort of a reanimation strategy, where you can use Corpse Dance and Shallow Grave as draw 7s, allowing you to draw into more of them, using Rituals to make the mana required, and obviously using Tendrils of Agony as the win condition.

I think that Careful Study as well as Dredge cards could be used to get Magus into the grave, where you can then begin the process of drawing an insane amount of cards and winning.

I'm a bit rushed right here, or I would create a decklist myself, but I would appreciate it if someone took my deck idea and ran with it!

Mad Bomber
09-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Magus of the Jar is a spoiled card from the new set Timespiral, and it is essentially Memory Jar in creature form with 3UU as a casting cost. The idea of this deck came to me as sort of a reanimation strategy, where you can use Corpse Dance and Shallow Grave as draw 7s, allowing you to draw into more of them, using Rituals to make the mana required, and obviously using Tendrils of Agony as the win condition.

I think that Careful Study as well as Dredge cards could be used to get Magus into the grave, where you can then begin the process of drawing an insane amount of cards and winning.

I'm a bit rushed right here, or I would create a decklist myself, but I would appreciate it if someone took my deck idea and ran with it!

Don't use tendrils as the win...go oldschool and use megrim :)

But yea after i read that card last night i was like OMG we can build jar again...then i was like...well iggy pop is actually a little better so i dropped the idea because of magnus's summoning sickness...but corpse dance is a nice touch...the deck still gets pwn'd by maindeck leyline of the void :(

Alfred
09-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Also, if you really wanted, you could runs stuff like Mystic Snake or something with a relevant CITP or static ability because both Corpse Dance and Shallow Grave are both instants, and can be used to respond to things. Buried Alive would obviously become a much better card if this were the case, because it would allow you to run a toolbox approach.

Mad Bomber
09-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Also, if you really wanted, you could runs stuff like Mystic Snake or something with a relevant CITP or static ability because both Corpse Dance and Shallow Grave are both instants, and can be used to respond to things. Buried Alive would obviously become a much better card if this were the case, because it would allow you to run a toolbox approach.

lol toolbox made me think of survival :eek:

EOT pitch squee to get magnus..pitch magnus to get magnus ect ect.

Untap do something kewl to win the game :)

Alfred
09-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Also, forget I mentioned Mystic Snake, because Daring Apprentice would be far better as it could be used turn after turn as a counterspell. I wouldn't want to dilute the deck with Survival, even though it you could find the Maguses better, because it would probably require far too many creatures to make a Tendrils plan optimal.

Mad Bomber
09-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Also, forget I mentioned Mystic Snake, because Daring Apprentice would be far better as it could be used turn after turn as a counterspell. I wouldn't want to dilute the deck with Survival, even though it you could find the Maguses better, because it would probably require far too many creatures to make a Tendrils plan optimal.

Magus + Megrim = 14 damage....add an additional of either in there and you have game

Togit460
09-14-2006, 11:46 PM
I'm pretty sure i'll get a warning for this, but there's already a nice big thread on TMD about this. Look at some of their idea's, it might prove inspirational to you all. I personally was hoping for it to be a legend so that goryo's vengeance would get some play. oh well... -peace, J.J.

Mad Bomber
09-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Ok so i decided to take the base combo shell and build a first version of the deck...so far in goldfishing it has combo'd out around turn 3 or 4...nothing to amazing really :(

4 flooded strand
4 polluted delta
2 underground sea
1 trop island
2 swamp
2 island
1 cabal pit

3 intuition
3 mystical tutor
4 infernal tutor
4 dark ritual
4 LED
4 shallow grave
2 corpse dance
4 brainstorm
4 buried alive
4 duress
4 Magus of the Jar
4 Megrim

This was a quick build as i'm sure it can be better. But everytime i look at a build like this it just seems like i should be playing iggypop instead lol

Afro
09-15-2006, 01:14 AM
I'm pretty sure i'll get a warning for this, but there's already a nice big thread on TMD about this. Look at some of their idea's, it might prove inspirational to you all. I personally was hoping for it to be a legend so that goryo's vengeance would get some play. oh well... -peace, J.J.

Why would you get a warning from this?

This could be a cute deck but like someone else said if you ask me Iggy-Pop is just plain faster.

Alfred
09-15-2006, 01:29 AM

:( Well, I guess it couldn't be an original idea could it? I think it deserves some testing though.

Warmonger
09-15-2006, 01:39 AM
I'm afraid you lose to Needle and Tomord's Crypt, also any Meddling mage naming Megrim is lethal. Only Duress is much to little to handle all typical combo hate.

dahcmai
09-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, it took all of three seconds to realize wizards printed something that says combo deck all over it and there's a bunch of people making decks with it already.

I have it down to a turn 3 kill fairly consistantly and with the god-draw it can go turn 2, but that's pretty unlikely. The Megrim kill is accidental unlike the original deck, tendrils of course is a much better kill card. I'm still testing my version and I'll post it later when I had a chance to give it some testing.

Odds are you'll see a couple at the next duel for duals. It looks that good.

Mad Bomber
09-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Well, it took all of three seconds to realize wizards printed something that says combo deck all over it and there's a bunch of people making decks with it already.

I have it down to a turn 3 kill fairly consistantly and with the god-draw it can go turn 2, but that's pretty unlikely. The Megrim kill is accidental unlike the original deck, tendrils of course is a much better kill card. I'm still testing my version and I'll post it later when I had a chance to give it some testing.

Odds are you'll see a couple at the next duel for duals. It looks that good.

Don't be stingy...post up your deck lol

dahcmai
09-17-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't like posting decks that don't have a ton of testing, all that gets is a bunch of people saying how much it gets stopped by this or that and how bad it looks. I like to come in when I'm happy with it and give multiple matchups and reasons why I picked cards and it's a mess right now in my book.