PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] If you wanted to win a tournament?

AnwarA101
09-18-2006, 03:57 PM
I was recently putting together the Historical Top8 thread and I noticed something that is pretty obvious but I think it really says something. Only 5 decks have won a major (50 or more players) Legacy tournament this year in the US (I'm excluding the German meta). The decks are -

Vial Goblins
Threshold
Solidarity
UG Madness (just once)
Blue Skies (just once and a T2 split)

So my question is - if you want to win a tournament do you have to play these decks? I'm not convinced this is true, but the fact that there is virtually no variety in the decks that actually win tournaments makes me reconsider. The Top8s from Legacy tournaments are full of variety but when you get down to last few decks it seems that Goblins, Threshold, and Solidarity will be waiting for you with very few exceptions.

quicksilver
09-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Well this does show that you can win first with a random, like madness and blue skies did. Also how many tournments is this out of?

Ewokslayer
09-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Blue Skies was a top 2 split with Solidarity, and it was going to lose as it had zero game against Solidarity, unless Herbig screwed the pooch.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
09-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Is Solidarity a courtesy mention? It's got only two "first" finishes, and one of them was the already mentioned split with Skies.

Ewokslayer
09-18-2006, 04:18 PM
It did win D4D2, how could Gearhart let you forget it?
and has split both of the last DLDs.

AnwarA101
09-18-2006, 04:42 PM

I added that Blue Skies was a T2 split. I only mentioned UG Madness and Blue Skies for completeness, but the other 3 decks have won multiple events this year as far as I can see.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
09-18-2006, 04:50 PM

Technically. But all the evidence suggests your name has to be Michael Herbig for you to win with Solidarity as anything more than a fluke.