PDA

View Full Version : WWu Rebel Stompy

Hanni
09-22-2006, 03:22 AM
Well, I originally got back into the game with a U/W Rebel Go deck (played with blue based control via countermagic; less focus on beatdown). I modified it slowly but surely into a U/W/b Fish deck. Looking through my cards today inspired me to rebuild a Rebel deck (Rebels are my favorite creature type, with Wizards being a close second). After thinking about it for a while, I decided the best way to build it would be to make it a Stompy deck but I choose to splash blue for Meddling Mage and a few other blue cards which I think improve the deck signifantly. Red was a close second choice, and it could be splashed instead, though I love Blue so this is what I came up with:

WWu Rebel Stompy

Lands (20)
4 Flooded Strand
2 Windswept Heath
1 Polluted Delta
4 Tundra
3 Plains
1 Island
1 Gaea's Cradle
4 Ancient Tomb

Creatures (19)
4 Ramosian Sergeant
2 Ramosian Lieutenant
1 Defiant Falcon
4 Whipcorder
2 Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
1 Thermal Glider
1 Jhovall Queen
4 Meddling Mage

Spells (21)
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Brainstorm
4 Curiousity
4 Unstable Mutation
2 Chrome Mox
3 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard (15)
3 Disenchant
1 Defiant Vangaurd
1 Nightwind Glider
2 Parallax Wave
3 Mana Leak
2 Tormod's Crypt
3 Pithing Needle

The decks primary focus is swarming the opponent with a very large amount of creatures. The deck achieves this through the built in tutor-into-play engine that 7 of the Rebels provide. The tutor-into-play engine is supported by a blue-based draw engine of 4 Brainstorm and 4 Curiosity. The 4 Brainstorm synergistically put Rebels in hand back on top of the Library so that they can be recruited out instead of hardcasted. Rebels can be played as Instants, so it is like a suedo Vial effect. I considered Vial in this deck, but the cc of the creatures varies greatly and I believe that the 4 Ancient Tomb + 2 Chrome Mox + 1 Gaea's Cradle accelerants are much more effective. The Curiosity can be attached to Defiant Falcon or Thermal Glider to draw additional cards. The tutor-into-play effect, in combined with the fetchlands and cantrip, thins the deck out considerably so that it can better draw into cards like Umezawa's Jitte.

The Whipcorder are the backbone of the aggro, being played most often. The ability to tap out opposing creatures makes combat easier for other Whipcorders or other Rebels in general. The morph ability comes in handy when this deck leans with a Tundra/Plains + Ancient Tomb when Ramosian Sergeant gets Bolted. Thermal Glider has evasion, to better swing Unstable Mutations, Jittes, Curiosity's, and simply do evasive damage. I maindeck this over Nightwind Glider because I feel that Pro Red is alot more valuable in this format, though I do sideboard 1 Nightwing Glider to toolbox in against black based aggro (but I may drop it depending). Jhovall Queen is an amazing finisher. The 4 Meddling Mages assist Whiipcorder in the 2/2 beats department and are amazing against combo (and control too). I prefer a 4/3/2 split on the recruiting engine, and I like the 2/1 split of Lieutenant and Falcon (Falcon is evasive but 1 toughness guys have trouble surviving early on when you want to be recruiting instead of attacking anyway). The ability to block but still recruit is also a great combat trick. I have Defiant Vangaurd in the sideboard as toolbox for untargetable creatures like Nimble Mongoose, Troll Ascetic, and Crystaline Sliver.

Aside from the draw engine, this deck runs 4 Unstable Mutation and 3 Umezawa's Jitte as creature pump. The Unstable Mutations are awesome, pulling my creatures out of Bolt range (and other direct damage spells). The +3/+3 pump for U is pretty awesome, buffing up my creatures for creature vs creature combat or simply doing extra damage to the opponent per swing. The Umezawa's Jitte shouldn't really need much explanation... this deck easily supports it's manacost and it makes the aggro base much more difficult to deal with.

The deck runs 4 Ancient Tomb, 2 Chrome Mox, and 1 Gaea's Cradle as the decks mana accelerants. Other than that, the deck runs a relatively solid manabase for the casting costs and color sourced required for the deck.

I just threw the sideboard together, I'm sure it could use some tuning.

This deck could also be transformed into a more Faerie Stompy-ish build with Trinket Mages in replace of Meddling Mage, maindeck Chalice of the Void, and a lone Pithing Needle with 1 Engineered Explosives in the sideboard.

I'm considering running Standstill instead of Curiousity, since the Rebel recruiting mechanism goes crazy with Standstill.

Psionic Blast is another consideration.

I can see the weakness to Engineered Plague and Pithing Needle, though the deck can asnwer that with Disenchant (or with a Chalic version, Chalice set to 1), and it doesn't roll completely over if either of those hit the table.

What do you guys think? If anything, it's an extremely fun Multiplayer deck.

xsockmonkeyx
09-22-2006, 09:59 PM
New rebel in TS:

Amrou Scout 1W

Creature - Kithkin Rebel Scout
4, T: Search your library for a Rebel card with converted mana cost 3 or less and put that card into play. Then shuffle your library.

2/1

Any good? Arguably better than Ramosian Lieutenant.

Hanni
09-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, I'd still run at least 1 Ramosian Lieutenant because the additional toughness on a recruiter can be extremely important.

I don't think I'd run a fullplayset of those guys, simply because my recruiters spend most of their time recruiting instead of attacking. 1 toughness doesn't block Lackey, it doesn't survive Darkblast, and it dies instantly to Engineered Plague. I can see them being added though.

This deck is just a casual deck right now that is pretty fun in multiplayer games, though I'm sure if I spent as much time on this deck as I did on my UWb Fish deck, that I could come up with something competitive.

Right now, it's alot slower than Goblins or Affinity, even with the accelerants. I'm not quite sure what that does to the decks viability, though I'm sure it means the deck needs maindeck or sideboard options for combo (which I neglected to think about yesterday because it was like 4 a.m.). I think that the Chalice of the Void idea (built into a Faerie Stompy-like design) would make the combo matchup really good (as well as aggro/control like Threshold).

The deck may not be as fast as Goblins or Affinity, but I feel that has a greater combo feel to it... it has amazing consistency. The deck can go crazy really quick, even in the face of spot removal, and have a huge army that the opponent simply can't deal with (unless they have something like Jitte or mass removal). I'm thinking that 2-4 Parallax Waves maindeck would be a great idea.

I'm not totally sold on the blue splash as of right now. Black offers Duress and Cabal Therapy (Therapy is nuts in this deck), as well as Skeletal Scrying/Night's Whipser. Red gives the deck spot removal and damage to the dome. I suppose that testing would reveal what would work best, though I think I would have been better off starting it as a Mono White deck and then testing out splashes to see what works better (much like Angel Stompy).

I really like this deck though, it's extremely fun and it shows alot of potential.

EDIT:

I decided actually to go with a black splash. The deck shouldn't have problems against aggro decks, especially since the deck does amazingly well against other aggro decks (recruits in response to spot removal and just simply overwhelms them with consistency of putting rebels into play every turn). The deck has problems with combo, and I feel that black offers more with Duress and Cabal Therapy.

Black also gives access to Engineered Plague, though I think that Rebel Stompy should have a relatively good game against Goblins so I didn't put it in my sideboard. Here's what I came up with so far:

Lands (20)
4 Flooded Strand
2 Windswept Heath
4 Scrubland
4 Plains
4 Ancient Tomb
2 Gaea's Cradle

Creatures (17)
4 Ramosian Sergeant
1 Children of Korlis
2 Amrou Scout
1 Ramosian Lieutenant
1 Defiant Falcon
3 Knight of the Holy Nimbus
2 Whipcorder
2 Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
1 Thermal Glider

Spells (23)
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Parallax Wave
4 Duress
4 Cabal Therapy
2 Chrome Mox
3 Mask of Memory
3 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard (15)
3 Disenchant
4 Rule of Law
1 Defiant Vangaurd
1 Thermal Glider
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Pithing Needle

I don't want to run more than 2 Gaea's Cradle... they are legendary and they are also situational at times. They are amazing though, so I increased the count from 1 to 2. I think 4 Ancient Tombs are necessary for the fast start of turn 1 Sergeant, turn 2 recruit Amrou (or whoever). I'm not really concerned about the life loss... I've played Angel Stompy, and even without Angel for lifegain, the deck did fine. I run 3 Jitte and enough deck thinning to find it if I need life that badly. I think the manabase looks pretty solid.

I changed the Rebels of the deck a little bit. I excluded Jhovall Queen because 6cc was simply too much of an investment. I still have 1 Liuetenant because the toughness of 2 is still significant. I still have 1 Defiant Falcon because evasion is still significant. I decided to run 2 Amrou because they are solid aggressors once the deck no longer needs them to recruit. Nimbus is amazing. I'm only running 3 Nimbus but I think that should be a solid number. I went down to 2 Whipcorder because Nimbus replaced him as the best 2/2 to recruit, and 2 sources of creature tap should be sufficient (I'm running StP/Wave/Jitte for removal). The 3/2 split of them gives the deck 5 2cc 2/2's, and in addition to the 2 Amrou's, the deck has 7 2cc 2 power guys. I think that should be plenty. I left Lin Sivvi in because the ability to put Rebels back on the bottom of the library is great, and she is much more mana effecient for recruting. Her 3 toughness also makes a great blocker. She also adds to the additional amount of recruiters the deck has overall. I left Thermal Glider in because he's a solid 2/1 flyer... evasion is nice, and pro red is even nicer. He shouldn't be too hard to recruit out when necessary. I also put in 1 Children of Korlis, it's a 1cc 1/1 Rebel that has: sac: gain life equal to the life you've lost this turn. I think it's pretty good tech for IGGy Pop and I can see it doing alot for other situations too (creating a lock with Sivvi, using Tombs to do damage plus whatever other damage I'm dealt, sac'ing Korlis, putting it into the library with Sivvi, recruiting it out and sac'ing, etc).

As far as spells are concerned, I decided that Parallax Wave was too good to not include. It's almost like a win condition for this deck, especially after there are a ton of rebels in play (think Tog). It protects my guys from spot removal and mass sweeps too, which is pretty nice. Overall, I like it's addition and it is supported well on the manabase. I added in Mask of Memory in replace of Brainstorm/Curiosity... the deck has evasion, the deck can support its cost, and discarding is actually a good thing for this deck (discard rebels, Sivvi puts them to bottom, recruit them into play). Drawing 2 cards per turn is pretty awesome, digging for important cards like no other. 4/4 Duress/Cabal Therapy may seem a bit excessive but I think that 8 discard effects help the deck tremendously against combo and work very well against just about everything else (grabbing spot removal, countermagic, Pithing Needle, etc).

I changed the sideboard, adding in Rule of Law to further help the combo matchup. I left in Disenchant and Defiant Vangaurd (great vs Mongoose). I replaced Nightwind Glider for another Thermal Glider... Pro Red and flying are awesome against Goblins, they can block and kill just about all of their Goblins and they can't be blocked by any of their Goblins. Thermal Glider is a better option against B/r Sui in my opinion and Nightwind Glider doesn't avoid StP from B/w Deadguy. I upped the count of Tormod's Crypt from 2 to 3.

I personally like this version alot better than the WWu version, I think it does alot more for the deck as a whole.

On a sidenote, I really love this deck. It's so fun to play, and it's extremely consistent. The rebel mechanism is so awesome. It gives to white weenie what white weenie has always lacked, which is a great mid-late game. It's such a powerful draw engine for white weenie. It turns the deck into a combo/aggro deck sorta, kinda like Goblins. I think this deck has some serious potential... I mean, it's almost like Angel Stompy except it trades a little bit of aggression for greater consistency and a better mid-late game.

I'm making a new thread since the deck is now WWb Angel Stompy, so this one can be closed.