PDA

View Full Version : Time Spiral Pre-Release: Who's Going?

on1y0ne
09-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Well, since tomorrow is the Pre-Release of the highly anticipated Time Spiral set, and the official unveiling of the purple cards, I figured I would ask:

Who here is going to a pre-release for Time Spiral and which one are you going to?

I, like always, will be judging in Syracuse. Although the location for Saturday is the Syracuse OnCenter as opposed to at How You Altered the Name. Sunday will be held there, however.

Nightmare
09-22-2006, 08:33 AM
If I can get Herbig down here and his GF gives the OK, I'd like to go tomorrow. Either way, Rich you should pick me up in the morning before you go.

Black and Blue
09-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Yup, I'm going.

SillyMetalGAT
09-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Team Necro will be going to the one in Conneticut on Sunday.... Rob Alexander signing fetches and duals FTW? I want him to draw little Goblins on Wooded Foothills somewhere.... that would be the tits.

scrumdogg
09-22-2006, 11:16 AM
CT, first Pre-Release at a location other than Syracuse as player or judge since before Invasion. It will be a little odd, to say the least. Oh well, working until midnight the night before should provide the same experience as driving to Syracuse and sleeping in someone's living room :) for proper ambience, of course (and I remain grateful for all the living room space provided over the years, thanks onlyone & jander).

on1y0ne
09-22-2006, 01:46 PM
CT, first Pre-Release at a location other than Syracuse as player or judge since before Invasion. It will be a little odd, to say the least. Oh well, working until midnight the night before should provide the same experience as driving to Syracuse and sleeping in someone's living room :) for proper ambience, of course (and I remain grateful for all the living room space provided over the years, thanks onlyone & jander).

It won't be the same without you...

edgewalker
09-22-2006, 04:44 PM
It's been 3 years since I've played in a real magic tourny. I think it's about time I started again. Some people might call me an addict and I call those people losers.

AngryTroll
09-22-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm in...but out here in Portland. Still, good times.

I wish I had Solidarity built....I love playing 1.5 decks at Prereleases. Oh well, at least with Thresh or GrbSA other players get to play.

URABAHN
09-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Me me me me me! I'm going! I'm going to Pre-Release!

In Richmond.

scrumdogg
09-23-2006, 12:51 AM
It won't be the same without you...

Thanks....I think ;) It is gonna be weird, hopefully good, but definitely not the same. Got so we knew what everybody was doing & how, it is a good crew.

Brushwagg
09-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Well I'm going on Sunday. Anyone got a price on drafting?

herbig
09-23-2006, 07:07 PM
How'd it go? Anyone?

on1y0ne
09-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Well I'm going on Sunday. Anyone got a price on drafting?

$18 if you don't play in the main event, $15 if you do.

AngryTroll
09-23-2006, 11:54 PM
3-2 overall, no prizes! Lame. I opened Teferi and Magus of the Disk, but had a lot of trouble building a deck to support them. Other rares: Lotus, the Green Eureka card, and something else bad in this format. I went BRg, with lots of removal (including Stormbind).

Anyway, I realized when I got home that I got severaly ripped off trading. I did not do a great job looking up prices ahead of time, and I do not know what I was thinking, but I traded an Ohran Viper ($15ish) and an Adarkar Valkerie (7-10ish) for an Asian Haunting Echoes (what, 15ish?). Grr. That's why I don't trade all that often. Yes, it was my fault. No, it does not make me feel any better about it.

Firebrothers
09-24-2006, 12:49 AM
i went to the san antonio pre release along with a ton of other people. everyone was whoring over the pre release lotus blossums. i happened to open a foil mystic snake and i say a foil tormods crypt being opened, it looked quite sexy by the way. i wonder what the prices for some of these card will be.

JeremM
09-24-2006, 12:54 AM
I went today; bought some new sleeves (my old ones were awful), some Unhinged Islands, and a pair of FoWs. Played in some team sealed, and used some terrible U/B deck rife with suspenders and Paradox Hazes; our team went 0-3 first match, byed the second, and went 2-1 in the third (the final match was me in Game 3, so I cracked a fortune cookie beforehand; somehow, that was the one game where my deck worked really well instead of absolutely miserable. Fortune cookie FTW!), so we pulled a few packs.

The set seems removal-light, so creatures tend to stick for a while in Limited. Shadow's also huge, and Dauthi Slayer hasn't lost anything in the past nine years.

Oh, and my inner Vorthos died today when I had to surrender a foil Ur-Dragon after pulling it during a casual draft (the pack sucked regardless). Coolest-looking card I ever saw, and I had to give it up to the winners.

SillyMetalGAT
09-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Well, I opened a Psionic Blast, Wheel Of Fates, and some other junk, but I had Rob Alexander sign all our duals, Fethces, and Shock Lands! He even doodled on AoD's Armegeddons. Its sick lookin now!

Blair Phoenix
09-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Went 1-2 drop in the bonus flight saturday, but I won 4-0 sunday ^_^. Of all things Slivers won the day. Sedge Sliver + Bonesplitter Sliver won me so many matches, it was unreal.

Ebinsugewa
09-24-2006, 11:23 PM
I played Two-Headed Giant, my favorite non-Legacy format. We cracked a ridiculous black-blue removal/bounce/draw suite with GHOST SHIP FTW and a bunch of other really good flyers. I had some aggressive suspend green/red guys with some support white. Our rares included Teferi and Lim-Dul, both ridiculous bombs. We went 2-1 losing only to ridiculous huge guys in round one, the Kraken that was given pro-blue so we couldn't bounce it (and having two bounce at the same time was not working) and the suspend 10 9/7 that's ridiculous. A 9/7 haste on like turn 4/5 is solid. All in all, we didn't get anything ridiculously Constructed playable, but I really like this new set and I think limited is going to be great. Rob Alexander also signed my duals and fetches and drew a Godless Shrine on my playmat. That was pretty badass. I'll try and get a scan in the pimp thread if I remember tomorrow.

Drathro
09-24-2006, 11:28 PM
I couldn't go, but I'm dying to know how the purple-symbol "Timeshifted" cards are distributed with Time Spiral. Anybody figure the distribution scheme at the pre-release? EDIT: They just updated wizards.com with the answer to my question: one Timeshift card replaces one common slot in each Time Spiral booster pack.

On a side note, I heard here (http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0609c&L=dcijudge-l&D=1&F=&S=&P=7677) (via mtgsalvation) that foils will always replace commons now, regardless of the foil's rarity.

matyburger
09-24-2006, 11:40 PM
I cracked me some good stuff (both from the main event, and the draft packs that I got for splitting in the finals), mainly:

1x Foil Shadowmage Infiltrator
2x Magus of the Disk
2x Teferi (1 Foil, 1 not)
1x Resurrection

Pinder
09-24-2006, 11:44 PM
I went in Seattle yesterday, and opened some crazy good stuff in removal such as Sudden Shock, Orcish Cannonade, Dark Withering, and Rift Bolt, and in bombs in the form of Sengir Nosferatu and Dragon Whelp. Got a few good Slivers too. Bonesplitter, Might, Fury, Two Headed, and Spinneret. Terramorphic Expanse made playing three colors a dream. I also opened Conspiracy, but it didn't make the cut. Would have been fun though :wink:. All I can say is that Verdant Embrace on Dragon Whelp with Fallen Ideal on a Fury Sliver wins games. Really fast. Also opened Phthisis, which isn't that great on it's own but fantastic under one or both of the Jhoira's Timebugs I opened. I swear I never resolved that thing without hitting my oponnent for at least 10 by killing their biggest fatty. Timebugs helped a lot with the 2 Durkwood Baloths and the Rift Bolt, too.

Went 3-0 in the first 3 of 5 rounds, but lost the 4th (Stormbind is absolutely crazy in Limited). Ended up drawing 3-1-1 into 6 packs in the 5th round because I didn't want to risk going 3-2 and getting nothing. Probably could have gone 4-1-0 for the 12 packs, though.

Opened Mystic Snake and Voidmage Prodigy in my winnings, but the rest wasn't that fantastic.

EDIT: Sure wish Rob Alexander was in Seattle...would've been nice to get my fetches and Duals signed. Did get Pete Venters to sign my Pithing Needles, though :tongue:.

Parcher
09-25-2006, 11:59 AM
I have not been to one of these things since Ravnica. I Top8'ed all three of the Invasion block pre-releases,(they didn't play the finals out) and got a box each time, even with Dream Wizards' crappy support. Then I quit Magic until Ravinca.

Now they have these random four round "flights" where you win like three sets if you 4-0. When did they start this? It not only does not make it worth the time to go as four rounds against randoms at a pre-release is no skill test at all, it makes it a losing proposition financially even if you win out.

on1y0ne
09-25-2006, 02:26 PM
I have not been to one of these things since Ravnica. I Top8'ed all three of the Invasion block pre-releases,(they didn't play the finals out) and got a box each time, even with Dream Wizards' crappy support. Then I quit Magic until Ravinca.

Now they have these random four round "flights" where you win like three sets if you 4-0. When did they start this? It not only does not make it worth the time to go as four rounds against randoms at a pre-release is no skill test at all, it makes it a losing proposition financially even if you win out.

In Syracuse, we have had four round flights for several years, now. Although the prize structure changed with Kamigawa block. Now, everyone gets at least one pack, thus the prizes for the top records were cut down. I liked it better, as a player, when their were 6 rounds, and the top prize was a box, but it was determined that having such a prize would detract from the tournament being as fun. Part of the pre-release is to have fun, and enjoy playing with the new cards. Yes, it is a tournament, but at REL 1 and 8k, having the prize lessened for the top records, and giving more prizes out, via the one pack pity prize, adds to the fun of the event. As a judge, I like it, but I know, as a player, I would not want to waste the money.

Nightmare
09-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Rich, here's a narrow and particular question:
Why doesn't Grey matter invite any artists to the PR? I've heard of people being invited all over (VA, etc.) and we've never done that. Especially this set, where we had the On-Center, with it's infinite more room, what was the rationale for not doing it?

quicksilver
09-25-2006, 02:31 PM
I went to the pre-release in Richmond. I was disapointed that the artist I wanted to sign my cards left at 10am, and that they ran out of lotus blossoms. I was glad I went 3/0/1 depite the fact that I suck at limited.

on1y0ne
09-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Rich, here's a narrow and particular question:
Why doesn't Grey matter invite any artists to the PR? I've heard of people being invited all over (VA, etc.) and we've never done that. Especially this set, where we had the On-Center, with it's infinite more room, what was the rationale for not doing it?

Allan Pollack was a guest artist at a Pre-Release in Syracuse a few years ago. I really don't know why that was the only time it happened. I can pose a query to Glen from Grey Matter, and let you know.

Regarding the OnCenter, it was really a last minute thing. The decision for using their facility was finalized a week or so before the event. I loved it their. If we could continue there, I would be happy. However, I do believe that having at least one more person on staff, who was used to things, would have helped the event go a little more smoothly. We had three new people some things could have gone better.

Nightmare
09-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Well, definately send the message along to Glen. it hink it creates a lot of incentive for not just newer people to come, but some older players who want their cards signed, too. Drawing more people to their event is never a bad thing.

If you guys ever want another staffer, let me know. I haven't ran one before, but I'm familiar with the people who run it and the way its run.

SillyMetalGAT
09-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah, Artists are definatly a plus. Rob Alexander was at the Conneticut one and we got all our Duals, Fetches, and Shocklands done. Taigas never looked so cool!

Jaynel
09-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Rosh Hashana FTL. I was really looking forward to this set, too. It's a shame I couldn't make it.

quicksilver
09-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Rosh Hashana FTL. I was really looking forward to this set, too. It's a shame I couldn't make it.

Wait, you are in sharon MA? I used to live there back in the day.

Bane of the Living
09-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Our pre release was somewhat shitty. I got in the travel lane on the way and almost missed our exit. I had to drive over the divider thingy to get to the exit. Very thrilling.

I nearly lost my cards at some point cause Im retarded. My gf got entered into the flight as Jessica Warren, who isnt her.. Then some one eyed judge wanted to see my deck to make sure I wasnt cheating. Some noob in the flight saw me and my girlfriend showing eachother cards we opened. Go wizards staffing for being flaming incompitent assholes.

Round one I got paired against GAT, then in the process of getting Rob to sign our cards we all missed the 2nd and 3rd round. They didnt even accounce it or anything. What a waste of money for entry.

Fuck wizards for not having my pre release lotus. They shouldve made this up to us. At least an extra pack of cards or something.

Getting drunk in the parking garage and getting all our Legacy lands signed was MORE than worth the trip tho.

To anyone from TJ's reading this, the site was awsome and thank you so much for scoring Rob Alexander for the event.

edgewalker
09-25-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm sitting down thinking whether or not to play the rebel chain I have (I played it and it was awsome) I over here some kid next to me go "sweet they reprinted a blue char" When I heard that, a little bit inside of me died.

on1y0ne
09-25-2006, 08:20 PM
I over here some kid next to me go "sweet they reprinted a blue char" When I heard that, a little bit inside of me died.

I heard something along those lines on more than one occassion over the weekend. I corrected everyone who called Psi Blast the "Blue Char" by letting them know how things were "back in the day..."

Kids these days, no respect, I tell ya.

edgewalker
09-25-2006, 08:54 PM
yea I heard you correct these kids and I felt a little better. I also have to add you are a one of the best judges I've ever had.