PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] WWb Rebel Stompy

Hanni
09-23-2006, 03:55 AM
Well, I originally got back into the game with a U/W Rebel Go deck (played with blue based control via countermagic; less focus on beatdown). I modified it slowly but surely into a U/W/b Fish deck. Looking through my cards today inspired me to rebuild a Rebel deck (Rebels are my favorite creature type, with Wizards being a close second). After thinking about it for a while, I decided the best way to build it would be to make it a Stompy deck with a black splash for Duress and Cabal Therapy.

WWb Rebel Stompy

Lands (20)
4 Flooded Strand
2 Windswept Heath
4 Scrubland
4 Plains
4 Ancient Tomb
2 Gaea's Cradle

Creatures (17)
4 Ramosian Sergeant
1 Children of Korlis
2 Amrou Scout
1 Ramosian Lieutenant
1 Defiant Falcon
3 Knight of the Holy Nimbus
2 Whipcorder
2 Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
1 Thermal Glider

Spells (23)
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Parallax Wave
4 Duress
4 Cabal Therapy
2 Chrome Mox
3 Mask of Memory
3 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard (15)
3 Disenchant
4 Rule of Law
1 Defiant Vangaurd
1 Thermal Glider
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Pithing Needle

The deck's primary focus is being a white weenie deck. The deck is somewhat similar to Angel Stompy, except it uses Rebels for a few reasons. Rebels have a recruiting mechanism... it's like a built in draw engine for the deck, it gives the deck great consistency, and it gives the deck a much better mid-late game (although the deck isn't as aggressive as Angel Stompy).

I didn't want to run more than 2 Gaea's Cradle... they are legendary and they are also situational at times. They are amazing though, so I definitely want 2. I think 4 Ancient Tombs are necessary for the fast start of turn 1 Sergeant, turn 2 recruit Amrou (or whoever). The 2 Chrome Mox add additional accleration and can be pitched later on with Mask of Memory if it's not necessary.

I'm not really concerned about the life loss from my manabase... I've played Angel Stompy, and even without Angel for lifegain, the deck did fine. In my deck, I run 3 Jitte and 1 Children of Korlis, and enough deck thinning (and tutor for Korlis) to find them if I need life that badly.

I think the manabase is pretty solid.

4 Ramosian Sergeant is a given. I run 1 Ramosian Liuetenant because the toughness of 2 is sometimes significant. I have 1 Defiant Falcon because evasion is sometimes significant. I decided to run 2 Amrou Scout because they are solid aggressors once the deck no longer needs them to recruit. Knight of the Holy Nimbus is amazing. I'm only running 3 Nimbus but I think that should be a solid number. I run 2 Whipcorder because they are solid 2/2's and 2 sources of creature tap help. The 3/2 split of Nimbus/Whipcorder gives the deck 5 2cc 2/2's, and in addition to the 2 Amrou's, the deck has 7 2cc 2 power guys. I think that should be plenty. I run Lin Sivvi in because the ability to put Rebels back on the bottom of the library is great, and she is much more mana effecient for recruting. Her 3 toughness also makes a great blocker. She also adds to the additional amount of recruiters the deck has overall. The deck has 10 recruiting Rebels which I think is a solid number. I run 1 Thermal Glider maindeck because he's a solid 2/1 flyer... evasion is nice, and pro red is even nicer. He shouldn't be too hard to recruit out when necessary. I also put in 1 Children of Korlis because the life gain is helpful... it's great against IGGy Pop, aggro, and it can somewhat create a Worship/Confinement-like lock.

As far as spells are concerned, I decided that Parallax Wave was too good to not include. It's almost like a win condition for this deck, especially after there are a ton of rebels in play (think Tog). It protects my guys from spot removal and mass sweeps too, which is pretty nice. Overall, I like it's addition and it is supported well on the manabase. I'm running Mask of Memory for draw (in addition to the tutor recruiting). The deck has evasion, the deck can support the Masks cost, and discarding can actually be a good thing for this deck (discard rebels, Sivvi puts them to bottom, recruit them into play). Drawing 2 cards per turn is pretty awesome, digging for important cards like no other. 4/4 Duress/Cabal Therapy may seem a bit excessive but I think that 8 discard effects help the deck tremendously against combo and work very well against just about everything else (grabbing spot removal, countermagic, Pithing Needle, etc). The flashback of Cabal Therapy is pretty awesome in this deck.

My sideboard is a work in progress. I put 4 Rule of Law to further help the combo matchup. Disenchant is utility against problematic cards like Pithing Needle. Defiant Vangaurd is great vs Nimble Mongoose, as well as other untargetable guys like Troll Ascetic. I run an extra Thermal Glider... pro red and flying are awesome against Goblins, they can block and kill just about all of their Goblins and they can't be blocked by any of their Goblins. Thermal Glider is a better option against B/r Sui in my opinion than Nightwind Glider and Nightwind doesn't avoid StP from B/w Deadguy anyway. 3 Tormod's Crypt are useful since there is alot of graveyard reliance in the format.

On a sidenote, I really love this deck. It's so fun to play, and it's extremely consistent. The rebel mechanism is so awesome. It gives to white weenie what white weenie has always lacked, which is a great mid-late game. It's such a powerful draw engine for white weenie. It turns the deck into a combo/aggro deck sorta, kinda like Goblins. I think this deck has some serious potential... I mean, it's almost like Angel Stompy except it trades a little bit of aggression for greater consistency and a better mid-late game. If anything, it's an extremely fun deck for casual multiplayer.

What do you guys think?

Cavius The Great
10-22-2006, 07:03 AM
Isn't the whole point of Rebel decks, more so Counter-rebels, is to be reactive and either get a creature or counter a spell? Please correct me if I'm using wrong logic.

lolosoon
10-22-2006, 07:44 AM
I'm not sure of rebels beeing close to competitive in Legacy, but with the new TimeSpiral Outrider En-Kor and the good'ol Task Force, can't we find some room to add a life.dec alternate win to a W/u/x Counter-Rebel build ?!

Genesis
10-26-2006, 09:58 AM
I think your rebel selection is strong and versatile, children of korlis EOT is savage and its also pretty nasty against a resolved Tendrils. But your splash and spells used... I agree with Cavius, doesn't this play better with counters? Constantly threatening countermagic and whenever they pass without casting something worth countering you punish them by making more dudes?

Also do you think Standstill would be viable with a blue splash? Is there room for 1 or 2 enlightened tutors?