PDA

View Full Version : [New Card Discussion] Holy Shit Part II

Rastadon
09-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Angel's Grace W
Instant

Split second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't play spells or activated abilities that aren't mana abilities.)

You can't lose the game this turn and your opponents can't win the game this turn. Until end of turn, damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 reduces it to 1 instead.

...and just about everyone got a kick to the junk. Along with Orim's Chant and Abeyance, this gives white a fair chance against combo. If only Isochron Scepter wasn't so vulnerable...

wmagzoo7
09-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Yeah that is really rediculous might not be as good as chant but prob. as good as abeyance also if they can kill u on their turn u r screwed as hell.

Poron
09-23-2006, 07:36 PM
I haven't still understood if that "splice second" means that it can't be countered too *_*

Ewokslayer
09-23-2006, 07:41 PM
I haven't still understood if that "splice second" means that it can't be countered too *_*

Since no one can play spells or abilities while it is on the stack it can't be countered.

Poron
09-23-2006, 07:49 PM
insane cards then...overall the green disenchant with splice 2... bah, too strong ability

URABAHN
09-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Doesn't do a damn thing vs. IGGy Pop. Loss of life (Tendrils of Agony) isn't prevented. Well, I suppose it does let you live half a turn, though.

UrDraco
09-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah but iggy pop now has another creature it has to deal with in order to win. The one with a W casting cost 1/1 Sac this critter to gain life equal to the life lost this turn. Could totally own IGGy pop if they don't bounce it.

Lego
09-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Since no one can play spells or abilities while it is on the stack it can't be countered.

This is not exactly true. It can't be countered with spells or activated abilities. Triggered abilities will still trigger though, so Counterbalance, for instance, can still counter it.

Togit460
09-24-2006, 01:19 AM
does this card getting printed make scepter chant a more viable deck? If so then what starting decklist base would you use?

Warmonger
09-24-2006, 01:35 AM
Posting fake since the spoiler is completed is pure idiocy, isn't it?

Lego
09-24-2006, 01:58 AM
Posting fake since the spoiler is completed is pure idiocy, isn't it?

I'm confused. Are you saying this card is a fake? We're talking about Angel's Grace, right? http://magiccards.info/ts/en/3/ That one?

Warmonger
09-24-2006, 02:19 AM
Hmm, sorry, I' blind. :frown:

How could I miss this card? It's unbielievable! Easily handles most of combo decks. (maybe except Solidarity, but additional turn is worth effort).

mogote
09-24-2006, 04:18 AM
How could I miss this card? It's unbielievable! Easily handles most of combo decks. (maybe except Solidarity, but additional turn is worth effort).
Which combo decks are you talking about? It doesn't really handle Brain Freeze and Tendrils of Agony which are the most prevalent combo kill cards. All it does is to delay the inevitable.

Elfrago
09-24-2006, 09:13 AM
IMHO pretty sucks...

Only keeps you alive until next turn.

Warmonger
09-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Which combo decks are you talking about? It doesn't really handle Brain Freeze and Tendrils of Agony which are the most prevalent combo kill cards. All it does is to delay the inevitable.
You are right about Tendrils. The problem is that random other combo decks that might be stopped by this card suck already.
But against Solidarity... cast it at the beginning of your upkeep when library is empty and swing with all critters once more. Might be sueful.

My Name Is Scott
09-24-2006, 10:05 AM
IMHO pretty sucks...

Only keeps you alive until next turn.
Having one in your hand forces solidarity to go off a turn sooner than they normally would. Unfortunately you have to play a fast clock for it to be effective, and even then it's horrible against every other deck.

rsaunder
09-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Combine this card with 1/2 gaea's blessings, and it's be a real threat for solidarity.

dahcmai
09-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Now THIS one is actually useful against Tendrils.

http://mtgsalvation.com/spoiler/time-spiral/

Children of Korlis W
Creature - Human Rebel Cleric
Sacrifice Children of Korlis: You gain life equal to the life you've lost this turn. (Damage causes loss of life.)
1/1

You can wait until a few of the Tendrils copies hits and just about kills you then use it regaining quite a bit of life to survive the last ones. I like this one. It's an auto-include in type 1 fish decks if anything and may spawn some interesting Angel stompy varients also for Legacy.

I think I'm the most happiest about this one though. It's just plain useful

Wipe Away 1UU
Instant
Split second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't play spells or activated abilities that aren't mana abilities.)
Return target permanent to its owner's hand.

Finally you can bounce something and they can't do stupid crap in response.

MattH
09-24-2006, 01:46 PM
This card is trash. It does nothing to Brain Freeze (without Blessing backup) or Tendrils, and it doesn't even beat Salvagers (they burn you to 1, empty their mana pool with Salvager activations, then simply play out an LED and a Pyrite Spellbomb and kill you in your upkeep. Or wish for Maga/Orzhov Guildmage and life loss your ass into the ground).

Even with Blessings in your deck, it's also not really going to help against Tide if you give them enough time to generate the mana to Stroke you out. You won't lose this turn but you won't have a library and then you'll lose that way.

This card beats NO combos that are any good. Actually I cannot think of any combos this beats unless you count Dark Ritual-Hatred as a combo. Maybe Pandeburst but again only if they have the absolute minimum combo (1 of each), otherwise they do the same thing Salvagers did above. Even Trix is life loss, and you would die on your own untap step anyway.

The Korliss Kids look a lot better - at least they make Tendrils go off for 40 or find a removal.

Nytemare
09-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Well..for Solidarity:

You can't go off in response to lethal damage against decks which run this card.

You have to Brain Freeze exactly because you don't want your opponet to draw his whole library and give him a turn to use it.

Volt
09-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Well..for Solidarity:

You can't go off in response to lethal damage against decks which run this card.

You have to Brain Freeze exactly because you don't want your opponet to draw his whole library and give him a turn to use it.

More than one turn, really. If you Stroke him for his entire library, he's going to have another Angel's Grace or 3 in his hand

This is a very good card against Solidarity.

laststepdown
09-24-2006, 09:41 PM
In regards to Quicksilver's signature-it looks like wizards finally did print a solidarity hoser. The problem here is that they run Twincast. Only testing will show the true power, if any.

MattH
09-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Wow there's some ill communication here.

First, who goes off with lethal damage on the stack? Go off in their beginning of combat phase, so you can use a Turnabout to tap their creatures into not attacking if you have to.

Second, Twincast isn't relevant because you can't respond to Angel's Grace in order to copy it. I'm not seeing this one.

If you Stroke him for his entire library, he's going to have another Angel's Grace or 3 in his hand
I had not thought of that, so you win that point. I guess in combination with Blessing, this is indeed good against Tide. But still only against Tide, and only in combination with Blessing (otherwise Tide can still Freeze your library away and watch you die on your next turn).

Phantom
09-25-2006, 09:36 AM
First, who goes off with lethal damage on the stack? Go off in their beginning of combat phase, so you can use a Turnabout to tap their creatures into not attacking if you have to.

Clearly, you have never been bolted to death after the combat phase.

EDIT: Is this card useful for Life decks? I don't know anything about the combo, but I would imagine that staying at one life for another turn while you set up your combo is pretty sweet. Plus, it helps with the Solidarity matchup, which can't be favorable.

URABAHN
09-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Clearly, you have never been bolted to death after the combat phase.

Then you'd lose anyway, what's your point? If the Solidarity player can't kill you with Stroke of Genius, they try to mill your deck. In that situation, you still get the rest of your turn anyway, and the rest of your extra turn (Meditate) until your draw step.

Phantom
09-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Then you'd lose anyway, what's your point? If the Solidarity player can't kill you with Stroke of Genius, they try to mill your deck. In that situation, you still get the rest of your turn anyway, and the rest of your extra turn (Meditate) until your draw step.

I never claimed my situation would affect the card in question or even the game result, I was simply stating that there are situations where Solidarity has to go off with letal damage on the stack.

dahcmai
09-25-2006, 02:12 PM
I played Solidarity for a while before people started hating it out of the area and I used one Words of wisdom main because of the dominace of Sligh and Goblins here. It made it a lot easier to just wait until lethal damage was on the stack and just go off ending with a Words. You usually got an extra land drop out of the deal instead of trying to go with only 3 lands.

Clark Kant
09-25-2006, 04:42 PM
I would run Seedtime before I run this card.

Most good combo decks run blue and run 4 Brainstorm which they always wait till the end of your turn to play. Respond to one with Seedtime and you get an extra turn.

The cool part is, Seedtime is good against a ton of noncombo decks to, and pretty much everything control.

Peter_Rotten
09-25-2006, 05:00 PM
This is really lame thread about a mediocre card.

That is all.