PDA

View Full Version : Wu Rebel Combo

Negator131
09-25-2006, 07:04 PM
In conversation back and forth with Hanni on Rebel Stompy in Legacy, I was running through Gatherer for more Rebel tech and found something that I had initially discarded from Time Spiral:

Outrider en-Kor 2W
Creature - Kor Rebel Knight
Flanking (Whenever a creature without flanking blocks this creature, the blocking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.)
0: The next 1 damage that would be dealt to Outrider en-Kor this turn is dealt to target creature you control instead.
2/2
Time Spiral Uncommon

It seemed like just a worse version of the en-Kor creatures from Tempest block, until I realized that Task Force, from Mercadian Masques, was randomly a Rebel as well:

Task Force 2W
Creature - Rebel
Whenever Task Force becomes the target of a spell or ability, it gets +0/+3 until end of turn.
1/3
Mercadian Masques Common

The combo between these two cards and a Worthy Cause-type effect is a familiar concept, first seen in a W/G version in Extended. For reference:

Worthy Cause W
Instant
Buyback 2 (You may pay an additional as you play this spell. If you do, put this card into your hand as it resolves.)
As an additional cost to play Worthy Cause, sacrifice a creature.
You gain life equal to the sacrificed creature's toughness.
Tempest Uncommon

This combo has been thrown around Legacy for a while now, with older versions (mostly W/G as well) falling short due to the sheer speed and disruptive capabilities of decks like Goblins and Threshold. However, I think that with the printing of Outrider en-Kor, the deck may be viable, as the entire combo can be tutored up by the Rebel engine, a very viable engine for recurring threats, and also contains a built-in kill condition, if swinging becomes unviable as a way to kill your opponent (decking via Lin-Sivvi recursion and Worthy Cause sacrifice). This deck can be built entirely in mono-white, but in my opinion the color that best compliments the combo is blue, for its protection and library manipulation. A sample decklist:

WWu Rebel Combo
4 Ramosian Sergeant
2 Amrou Scout
1 Ramosian Lieutenant
2 Lin-Sivvi, Defiant Hero
1 Children of Korlis
3 Whipcorder
1 Outrider en-Kor
1 Task Force
4 Meddling Mage

4 Brainstorm
4 Serum Visions
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
2 Counterspell
3 Worthy Cause

4 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
4 Tundra
2 Plains
2 Island
4 Ancient Tomb
2 Gaea's Cradle

This deck combines a lot of the strengths of Threshold (strong disruptive element through ten counterspells and four Meddling Mages, eight cantrips to smooth draws) with the Rebel chain aggro plan and the Life combo. The combo obviously doesn't have to be the main plan of the deck, as curving out with threats and counters can be more than enough against Control decks and anemic aggro opponents. However, against something like Goblins, where you can only really hope for a board stall, the combo is quite effective; Goblins will eventually deck out, no matter what they do, if you combo out. They have a finite number of cards in their deck, whereas you can infinitely recur your Rebel chain with Lin-Sivvi and Worthy Cause with Buyback.

It has been brought up that a Swords to Plowshares on one of the two combo creatures makes the other one relatively useless and negates the combo, but I feel that one is enough. Being that the beatdown plan is the main idea of the deck, it's not a huge deal if one combo piece does get Swords'd. Also, in a matchup where the combo is really important, you can counter the Swords, or drop Meddling Mage naming Swords to Plowshares, or even recruit up both combo pieces at the End Step with Worthy Cause in hand for an instant-speed win.

I think this deck is potentially more viable than other builds of Rebels or even other Aggro decks because it has a long-term plan against something like Rifter or Landstill, decks which typically have good aggro matchups. It can utilize the combo to put the kill permanently out of reach for those decks, and can deck them out reliably. Also, this deck doesn't have to rely on winning a war of attrition against Goblins either; you can simply tutor up the kill and put the game out of reach for them as well (again, you can simply let them deck out).

Thoughts?

Hanni
09-25-2006, 08:37 PM
I really like the addition of 1-each of the combo pieces blended into beatdown plan. However, your list is sacrificing alot of the beatdown elements to fit it in. I would fit in 4 StP and 3 Jitte at least. I'm still thinking that the black splash for Duress and/or Cabal Therapy with 4 Dark Confidants for draw would be much better (since blue requires a heavier splash because of Force of Will).

Chopping out blue:
-4 Meddling Mage
-4 Brainstorm
-4 Serum Visions
-4 Force of Will
-4 Daze
-2 Counterspell

Replacing it with black:
+2 Knight of the Holy Nimbus
+4 Dark Confidant
+4 Swords to Plowshares
+4 Duress
+3 Cabal Therapy
+2 Chrome Mox
+3 Umezawa's Jitte

-3 Worthy Cause
+3 Condemn

The original beatdown deck was running Parallax Wave. With the new combo plan, it might not be necessary anymore (since it was primarily used as a win-condition), although I still believe that it deserves consideration.

I originally had a few evasive threats with Mask of Memory as draw and I still believe that is a viable plan too.

The lack of Knight of the Holy Nimbus greatly weakens the beatdown strategy. I think that with the life combo installed, the deck can afford to remove Children of Korlis. I'd replace him with Knight of the Holy Nimbus.

My version of your life-combo installed into my version of WWb Rebel Stompy:

WWb Rebels

Lands (20)
4 Flooded Strand
2 Windswept Heath
4 Scrubland
3 Plains
4 Ancient Tomb
2 Gaea's Cradle
1 Miren, the Moaning Well

Creatures (21)
4 Ramosian Sergeant
2 Amrou Scout
1 Ramosian Lieutenant
2 Lin-Sivvi, Defiant Hero
3 Knight of the Holy Nimbus
3 Whipcorder
1 Outrider en-Kor
1 Task Force
4 Dark Confidant

Spells (19)
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Condemn
4 Duress
3 Cabal Therapy
2 Chrome Mox
3 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard (15)
3 Disenchant
4 Rule of Law
1 Defiant Vangaurd
1 Thermal Glider
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Pithing Needle

It still needs alot of work. Your list is still good, I just prefer the black splash instead.

I added back in Chrome Mox because the extra accel helps, this deck wants to be able to keep up with Goblins and such. Umezawa's Jitte is extremely important for the beatdown plan. I prefer the black splash of discard in Stompy decks like Angel Stompy and Rebel Stompy. I think it's just a preference sort of thing. Swords to Plowshares is extremely important for slowing down decks like Goblins. Miren gives the deck its 4th source of sacrifice for the life combo. Dark Confidant gives the deck actual card advantage while still helping with beatdown plan. I didn't make any changes to the sideboard from my original WWb Rebel Stompy deck.

My list focuses less on the combo plan and more on the aggro plan. The problem with the combo plan is that it's not going to be able to race combo (and against Brainfreeze it doesn't matter) and it might be too slow against Goblins/Affinity. Otherwise, it seems like a great idea against any form of control and aggro/control (especially blue based control because the recruiting mechanism cannot be countered by Force of Will and the like).

I like this deck alot, it's really fun to play.

Cavius The Great
09-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Why not run something uncounterable like Diamond Valley instead of wasting a spell slot?

Negator131
09-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Because I'd rather run something uncounterable like Miren, the Moaning Well that actually produces mana. Anyway, Diamond Valley eats a land drop, is Wasteland-able, and doesn't produce mana. Also, it's expensive, and arguably suboptimal. In a deck with ten counters to back up the combo, I'm much more worried about Wasteland than opposing counters anyway.

Cavius The Great
09-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Because I'd rather run something uncounterable like Miren, the Moaning Well that actually produces mana. Anyway, Diamond Valley eats a land drop, is Wasteland-able, and doesn't produce mana. Also, it's expensive, and arguably suboptimal. In a deck with ten counters to back up the combo, I'm much more worried about Wasteland than opposing counters anyway.

Just play the Diamond Valley when you ready to combo out. That way you can use the Diamond Valley's ability in response to a Wasteland. Miren, The Moaning Well cost 3 mana to activate, it kinda sucks.

Hanni
09-27-2006, 10:19 PM
I edited my decklist in this thread with 3 Condemn instead of 3 Worthy Cause. It may be a little restrictive, since you have to attack (meaning something like Propaganda or Ensnaring Bridge might prevent that), but it's the same cc and does essentially the same thing, except it can also be used as spot removal when necessary and further helps the aggro plan rather than being a wasted card.

So as far as my list goes:

-3 Worthy Cause
+3 Condemn