PDA

View Full Version : [TMC Open]The Mana Clash Open(Midnight Edition)November 4, Stratford, CT

Iamfishman
09-28-2006, 10:04 PM
None of the following is set in stone. I wouldlike all of your input on what I am proposing here. If you don't speak up, though, I won't know what you are thinking.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the lunatic who brings you The Mana Drain Open(Waterbury) and The Mana Leak Open(Stratford) comes the meeting of these two giants:

THE MANA CLASH OPEN 1(Midnight Edition)

When: Saturday/Sunday, November 4, 2006

Time: Satuday Night at 5:00 PM running non-stop until around 11:00 am Sunday morning.

AND THEN WHAT?: Well, then we all imvade Hometown Buffet for the largest Magic The Gathering Brunch in recorded history!

Where: Gamingetc Tournament Center and SuperStore
555 Lordship Boulevard (Exit 30 off I95)
Stratford CT 06615
1-800-380-1115 or 203-849-0186
Lodgings: If any are interested in Lodgings, please mention it in a reply to this thread. I may be able to establish a special room rate at the nearby Ramada Inn

Dopeness Factor: The limit as x approaches the value arrived at by solving the following riddle from the right of 1/x. Riddle: Two buildings are connected by a 40 foot wire of uniform weight per inch. The wire is attached the buildings at the same height above ground level. The wire hangs between the two buildings and is called a catenary. If the wire, at its lowest point is 20 feet below the position of attachment to the building, how far apart are the buildings.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVENT 1: TYPE 1 MANA CLASH TOURNAMENT
Tourney Starts PROMPTLY at 6:00 PM(To avoid a prolonged tournament, this will be strictly enforced. Latecomers will be subject to a round 1 loss.)

Cost: $20 Entry Fee

Format: Vintage

Proxies: 10 Porxies + $1 per proxy(15 proxies maximum)

Prizes/Tournament Structure: I have a unique idea for prize support/tournament structure that I hope to try out. Let me Tarrentino it for you and go backwards. I’ll give you all the reasons for why I think things should be run this way, then I will tell you how I think the event should be run, and finally, I would like you to go back to the reasons and see if they match appropriately.
1.) Because this is my first time doing this, I have no rough estimate for attendance.
2.) Top 8s/16s take FOREVER.
3.) Sometimes some may have a perfect record after swiss, and than get hosed two games of the top 8, and end up with a draft set.
4.) Tiebreakers shouldn’t matter.
5.) Final rounds of a tournament, where the top 8 going into the last round all realize they could draw one another in wastes an hour of everyone’s time.
6.) Players can know exactly what they have the potential to win.
7.) Teammates scooping to others gives an unfair advantage to some, making magic into a popularity contest.
8.) Long events suck.
9.) Insert other random reason I am forgetting here.

The tournament, irregardless of how many players we have, will be run with 5 rounds of swiss. After the 5 rounds, prizes will be awarded based on standings after 5 rounds. This is what I have so far, tell me if it seems reasonable(keep in mind that the highest prizes are not on par with the highest prizes of Waterbury because more people will be receiving them(as opposed to one person in 175 winning a Lotus). Also, I welcome ideas for things I can use as choice for prizes.

Record Prize Choices:
5-0 Choice of: LOA/TIMETWISTER/$125/60 Packs
4-0-1 Choice of: 4 Force of Wills/$65/Booster box
4-1 Choice of: 2 Dual Lands/25 boosters/$40
3-0-2 Choice of: Any Dual Land/12 boosters/$25
3-1-1 Choice of: Any Dual Land/10 boosters/$20
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVENT 2: LEGACY MANA CLASH TOURNAMENT
{{EDIT}}Unsacntioned...see my reply below for reason{{EDIT}}
Tourney Starts PROMPTLY at 12:00 AM-Midnight Sunday Morning(To avoid a prolonged tournament, this will be strictly enforced. Latecomers will be subject to a round 1 loss.)

Format: Legacy

Proxies: No proxies Allowed

Prizes/Tournament Structure: * See above for numbered reasons for doing this.

The tournament, irregardless of how many players we have, will be run with 5 rounds of swiss. After the 5 rounds, prizes will be awarded based on standings after 5 rounds. This is what I have so far, tell me if it seems reasonable(keep in mind that the highest prizes are not on par with the highest prizes of Waterbury because more people will be receiving them(as opposed to one person in 175 winning a Lotus). Also, I welcome ideas for things I can use as choice for prizes.

Record Prize Choices:
5-0 Choice of: 4 Sea Drake/LOA/TIMETWISTER/$125/60 Packs
4-1 Choice of: 2 Dual Lands/2 Pithing Needle/25 boosters/$40
3-0-2 Choice of: 1 Reset/Any Dual Land/1 Pithing Needle/12 boosters/$25
3-1-1 Choice of: Any Dual Land/1 Pithing Needle/10 boosters/$20
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
{{EDIT}}At the end of the night, the records of players for both events will be calculated to determine a combined match point total between the two events. The top 8 players based on total match points will play in a bracketed top 8. The prizes will include bragging rights as well as additional prize support, and the “Champion of the night trophy" for the winner.{{EDIT}}

Other events: More info to come

Magic Trivia
Magic Scattegories
Type 4 Tournament
Video Games(Free use all night)
Team Competition
And possibly more

TheInfamousBearAssassin
09-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Not trying to discourage you, and I don't so much disagree with your reasoning, but I think it's still a rather poor idea to have no cut to the top x. While it is sometimes a raw deal to be tiebreakers away from top 8- I myself was tiebreakers away from drawing the last round into top 8 at the Mana Leak Open and SCG's last Duel for Duals- it's rather less interesting to read about the decks that went x-0 than a dramatic top 8 finish.

It also seems to me that the Legacy tournament should be unsanctioned. Y'know. For consistency. Who uses their Legacy rating, anyway?

troopatroop
09-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Honestly, I'm coming if it's unsanctioned and not if it is. Unsanctioned legacy is the only way to play. I've got like 10 other friends that would come if it wasn't sanctioned too.

Serially.

jamest
09-29-2006, 12:36 AM
1.) Because this is my first time doing this, I have no rough estimate for attendance.
2.) Top 8s/16s take FOREVER.
3.) Sometimes some may have a perfect record after swiss, and than get hosed two games of the top 8, and end up with a draft set.
4.) Tiebreakers shouldn’t matter.
5.) Final rounds of a tournament, where the top 8 going into the last round all realize they could draw one another in wastes an hour of everyone’s time.
6.) Players can know exactly what they have the potential to win.
7.) Teammates scooping to others gives an unfair advantage to some, making magic into a popularity contest.
8.) Long events suck.
9.) Insert other random reason I am forgetting here.
I totally agree. The Swiss system is already designed to determine a winner, so why bother with the T8? Cutting to T8 encourages intentional draws, which suck, and single elimination makes the tournament more of a crapshoot.

Some suggestions:
1) Play enough swiss rounds to determine a winner i.e. if there are 50 players, play 6 rounds of swiss. A big tournament without a winner is kind of a letdown.
2) Have the prize structure increase more evenly. For example, each win above X is awarded two dual lands. Having a prize structure that grows exponentially encourages more intentional draws, which suck.

I don't care if the event is sanctioned or not. It's all about playing in a cool tournament.

URABAHN
09-29-2006, 07:29 AM
I'd pass out shortly after the 1st round, I'm not used to pulling all-nighters. Maybe when I was 8 years old, but I'm too old and fussy now.

Nightmare
09-29-2006, 07:45 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about the way you're running the prize support, Ray. let me think on it a bit and I'll get back to you.

tivadar
09-29-2006, 08:57 AM
I actually really like this idea. Someone who goes 5-0, then gets a couple bad hand draws and finished 5-1 shouldn't be knocked out of contention because of it. I also agree with what others said, make sure you run enough rounds. The golden rule on this is ceil(lg(players)). Since there are no finals, I may even add an additional round to that, who knows.

The only thing that concerns me is the start time for legacy. I know I'd drop dead playing that late, never mind starting that late! I understand you want both groups to be able to play, and it does sound like a great idea and a lot of fun, I just think you'll lose a lot of people to sleep deprivation and have a lot of play mistakes for us old fogeys.

Also, sanctioning=good, why would you want it unsanctioned? That's the only thing I don't understand. Even if you don't use your eternal rating, then you shouldn't care about it. For me, it's a good way to remember past tourneys as well and check to see who the people I played against are...

Nightmare
09-29-2006, 09:04 AM
They care because Jack is banned from the DCI right now.

I'm actually excited about playing straight through the Vintage and Legacy events, and I think no matter what I play for Legacy, it will feel like cake compared to playing 5 hours of Long in T1.

tivadar
09-29-2006, 10:08 AM

I'm actually excited about playing straight through the Vintage and Legacy events, and I think no matter what I play for Legacy, it will feel like cake compared to playing 5 hours of Long in T1.

Ahh, forgot about that, yeah, I'm cool either way then, the more the merrier, I prefer sanctioned, but I also am not a fan of excluding people.

quicksilver
09-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Dopeness Factor: The limit as x approaches the value arrived at by solving the following riddle from the right of 1/x. Riddle: Two buildings are connected by a 40 foot wire of uniform weight per inch. The wire is attached the buildings at the same height above ground level. The wire hangs between the two buildings and is called a catenary. If the wire, at its lowest point is 20 feet below the position of attachment to the building, how far apart are the buildings.

Dopeness Factor of infinity huh?

Saddly enough I got this riddle with no problem. If the wire is 40 feet and it hangs 20 feet below the attachment points. then the buildings obviously have to be 0 feet from each other. And the limit of 1/x as x->0+, is obviously infinity.

This sounds like it could be really cool, I think the virginians would be up for it. Oh and please make it sanctioned so no one has to ride with IBA.

Watcher487
09-29-2006, 10:55 AM
At the end of the night, the winner of the Vintage Event will pair with the 2nd place finisher of the Legacy event. They will play against the winner of the Legacy event and the 2nd place finisher of the Vintage Event. The format will be 2 headed giant. The prize will include bragging rights for either the vintage(if the Vintage Champ wins) or Legacy(if the Legacy Champ wins)community as well as additional prize support for the winning team, and the “Champs of the night trophy.”

Three problems... Which 2-headed giant format will this be? And teaming the Vintage champ + Legacy 2nd placer and teaming the Legacy champ + Vintage 2nd placer seems odd considering your not even using top 8 or tiebreakers... This is all nice in theroy but all that's really going to happen if you let them all play thier respective finish decks is basically a Vintage 1 on 1 match with 2 Legacy decks just siting in the wings...

Kadaj
09-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Honestly, by far the biggest deterant to me making this is the fact that it's happening so late. School and work don't mix too well with late nights/early mornings early in November.

Beyond that I'm still going to try and be there, but I can't guarantee it by any means.

scrumdogg
09-29-2006, 11:40 AM

Jack obviously has his own viewpoint & bias, but Troopa doesn't get a say in these matters until he actually shows up. He doesn't have ten friends, he & his invisible posse would lose anyway, but it's immaterial unless the invisible friends have invisible cars........ Sanctioned is always better than unsanctioned, even with fantabulous prize support (for which Ray is well known). This prize structure looks fine - if you want a theoretical 'winner' the 5-0s can play each other on a side table at some point. It's fantastic how this structure discourages the intentional bye/teammate rigging of the final rounds. That being said, unless my work schedule changes I won't be able to make it. I work a double on Sats from 8AM to midnight and then go back in at 8AM Sun. I would cheerfully burn time off for this, but I don't have anything banked at the moment. Here's hoping the schedule changes between now & then, but I should have built time off for the next one anyway.

jazzykat
09-29-2006, 12:28 PM
It's fantastic how this structure discourages the intentional bye/teammate rigging of the final rounds.

Absolutely, although I suppose when people are on the fringe of getting prize or not it can still happen, but you aint gonna scoop in round 2 unless you don't want any prizes.

I can't go to this since I live in NM. I do think that back to back tournaments kicks ass, however I would not go to this event if I lived nearby or I would only play T1 because I have nothing near the stamina it takes to play till 5 in the morning without rest.

My suggestion is to do a 2 day affair, and find really reasonable room rates because the cost of gas will be more than a room sometimes.

I think that the 2 headed giant match should be highlander with each team not having more than one copy of a card except basic land! Everyone should have highlander decks built in case they are the winners and you can have highlander 2 headed giant side tournaments for really cheap entry for those who scrub out.

That event would make me drool!!!!

Obfuscate Freely
09-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Midnight tournaments suck. Why not make it an all day event and start the Vintage tournament early enough to finish both by a reasonable hour?

Playing Magic is no fun when half the field is too tired to concentrate, and the idea seems even less attractive to those of us who can look forward to a 6-hour drive the next day.

calosso
09-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Midnight tournaments suck. Why not make it an all day event and start the Vintage tournament early enough to finish both by a reasonable hour?

Playing Magic is no fun when half the field is too tired to concentrate, and the idea seems even less attractive to those of us who can look forward to a 6-hour drive the next day.

That is true but isn't the prize supprt is worth it.

Nightmare
09-29-2006, 01:12 PM
What a bunch of whiners. "Waaaahhh, I'm gonna be tired!!!!" Haven't you ever played Magic for like 18 hours straight through with friends? I know I have, plenty of times. Suck it up!

Ray - I know GamingEtc. has a no outside drink policy. Is coffee going to be provided? God knows we'll need it.

freakish777
09-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Three problems... Which 2-headed giant format will this be? And teaming the Vintage champ + Legacy 2nd placer and teaming the Legacy champ + Vintage 2nd placer seems odd considering your not even using top 8 or tiebreakers... This is all nice in theroy but all that's really going to happen if you let them all play thier respective finish decks is basically a Vintage 1 on 1 match with 2 Legacy decks just siting in the wings...

Not necessarily, if say Iggy wins the Legacy event, and a tendrils based combo deck takes second in the Vintage event... I could see the Iggy player adding to the storm count and then possibly even playing a Pseudo Will for his/her teammate with IGG (say turn 2, Lotus Petal, LED, Infernal Tutor for IGG, wait for your teammate to rev the storm more, IGG for them, they find Tendrils and win?).

Also, since the life totals are 40, I could see an extra swing or two with a Wearbear deciding a game. I mean, its not like Goblin Lackey & Force of Will are unplayable in T1.

insertnamehere
09-29-2006, 05:07 PM
I will definetly be there with my crew. Nobody from my crew is afraid of staying up late. Hey Tividar, have you ever heard of a NAP before the tournament or even an energy drink.

Angel of Despair
09-29-2006, 08:41 PM
This tourney sounds fun as hell. I don't see anything wrong with it. Jager bombs seem necessary for this type of event though!:tongue:
AoD

Iamfishman
09-29-2006, 08:41 PM
With as many people as I think your going to get maybe you should make the legacy event 6 rounds.

I know your way saves time, and allows for alot less rounds which is nice, but I know alot of people who like alot of rounds, b/c playing magic is just awsome regardless of where you stand in a tournement record wise.

Actually, for those who like alot of rounds, they can actually play 10 rounds(5 of legacy and 5 of vintage) which is 3 more than were at The Mana Leak Open or 2 more than at a Day 1 Waterbury.

I might like having a top 8 better, because even though it can possibly hurt the player who goes undefeated in swiss... At the same time your idea hurts the guy who gets unlucky that 1 round he gets paired up vs goblins etc. and then wins out the rest of the way. But your scenario kinda favors who wins/loses when. IDK. Just saying that If I am going to be playing at an overnight magic event, and I am stuck there... I would want to play as much magic as possible.

Kyle

Actually, my method HELPS the person who loses round 1, since this person can win the same prize for going 4-1 as someone who wins 4 and loses the last round.

Because of the starting times it is concievable to complete in both tournements right?

If so, we should totally have a prize for "OVERALL CHAMPION" Highest points at the end of the night combined over both tournements. It doesn't even have to be a Money Prize, just like a trophy ... OR A BELT!
EDIT: And the right to walk into the next Mana Clash, with the belt over your shoulder, with theme music. So much potential.

Ya know, no offence to the tournement structure, I actually really like it... but come on... it wouldn't be a tournement without someone being the "winner."

Good idea...I'm going to change what I said about the 1st and opposite event 2nd seed teaming and playing.

Here is a really good idea. After both events, I will calculate the top 8 players based on both events. Conceivably someone could have 30 match points at the end of the 2 events and be the first seed. These 8 will play a top 8 for extra prizes, a trophy, and bragging rights.

ALSO...the Legacy tournament will be UNSANCTIONED...not because I feel it should be, but because I simply have not yet put in place the neccesary work to have it sanctioned.

DampingEngine
09-29-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't play type 1, I don't like the time that the tournament is taking place, I don't like that it's unsanctioned, and I don't like the prize structure. When I heard there would be another big Legacy event I was excited, but I seriously doubt if I'll go now.

Lego
09-29-2006, 11:58 PM
I'll go if Tivadar (or anyone else, for that matter) gives me a ride to/from. November 4th is my birthday, that should count for something, right? :wink:

TheInfamousBearAssassin
09-30-2006, 12:47 AM
I kind of like the idea of 10 rounds, 5 of each format- sort of like an Eternal Invitational, minus the prestige- but what would be the format for the conjoined top 8? Any reason this couldn't be done across two days? Some of us have fourteen hour round trips to make.

insertnamehere
09-30-2006, 05:52 AM
Is their a deal for playing in Both?

NANTUKO_SHADY
09-30-2006, 09:08 AM

QFT. Mostly all of us have big trips to make it down to CT, so we might as well make it worth our while. Cutting to Top 8s and potentially making the tournament a two day affair would most definetely bring in more people. The more this tournament offers, the more likely people will commit their long hours of driving to come down.

herbig
10-02-2006, 11:04 AM
I must say, this thing looks pretty awesome. I like the overnight setup and the prize structure. I may have to actually practice so I can go undefeated and pick up another piece of power. Will there be coffee there? Perhaps someone should bring a coffee pot.

blarknob
10-02-2006, 12:28 PM
You should definately sanction the legacy part. It does nothing but help the format when wizards has real data. The more sanctioned legacy events we have the more reason wizards has to give us another legacy Grand Prix.

insertnamehere
10-04-2006, 08:42 AM
You should definately sanction the legacy part. It does nothing but help the format when wizards has real data. The more sanctioned legacy events we have the more reason wizards has to give us another legacy Grand Prix.

In regards to that. If ray cannot sanction the tournament. Dragon's lair in West Springfield will sponsor the sanctioning of the legacy event.:cool:

All I am waiting for is a response from Ray himself.

Bill

SillyMetalGAT
10-04-2006, 10:25 AM
This REALLY needs to be Sanctioned, or else most of the players don't really see a point in playing. I will definatly be going if its sanctioned, as will Bane and AoD I believe.

JeremM
10-04-2006, 11:02 AM
I'll def. try to make it, although I'd probably need a ride up. If anyone's taking I-95 north and starting somewhere south of Philly, I could probably hop on (I'm less than five minutes from I-95).

It's either that or checking train schedules, and paying some obscene amount of money to get there and back is something I really want to avoid.

Cavius The Great
10-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Do you guys realize how disgusting it will be by the time the tourney is halfway done? It's not like most the players there are going to shower before they go, but add another 16 hours to that and you'll get something similiar to a moldy cheese cow far. I mean come on guys, take fuckin showers and wear deodorant, you nasty little bastards.

tivadar
10-05-2006, 05:21 PM
I kind of like the idea of 10 rounds, 5 of each format- sort of like an Eternal Invitational, minus the prestige- but what would be the format for the conjoined top 8? Any reason this couldn't be done across two days? Some of us have fourteen hour round trips to make.

Good point, any way it can be spread across two days? I'm not even driving that far and I"m not looking forward to driving back afterwards. Could do one the first day, then the other the second day along with the finals.

herbig
10-05-2006, 06:44 PM
I still like the idea of the overnight tournament, since a "lock in" was the idea from the start. Wouldn't everyone rather have something different for a change? I expect this format to be a lot of fun and be more relaxed than a typical tournament. Plus we'll have a much greater attendance, since Legacy only players may skip out on day two and vice versa. The prize structure is such that everyone has a decent chance to at least break even on their fee and possibly get a sweet piece of power. If you go to these tournaments with the intent to profit from them you're in the wrong game.

I would also encourage everyone to check out TMD for discussion on Vintage decks to familiarize yourself with the format and start thinking about what you're going to play. A modified Legacy deck or simply hate.dec will not compete and I'd hate to see a bunch of people waste their money. Unless you're Abold playing Gro of course.

Obfuscate Freely
10-05-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm just going to reiterate my concerns about an all-night event that is 6 hours away from where I live.

I don't see any benefit to running this all night (instead of all day, or over two days), unless me and whoever I might take with me not being there is a benefit.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
10-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Yeah. I realize that no one from New York ever actually comes down to Virginia tournaments, but to educate; 12-15 hours roundtrip is a long time to be driving without having an opportunity to actually sleep.

Bane of the Living
10-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Bill will sanction this event for you. Follow the light.

Need..

.eternal..

..rating...

Must get GP's!!

You mentioned the Ramada Inn. What kind of rates are we talking?

SillyMetalGAT
10-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Bill will sanction this event for you. Follow the light.

Need..

.eternal..

..rating...

Must get GP's!!

You mentioned the Ramada Inn. What kind of rates are we talking?

Your in the wrong format if you care for your rating.

Iamfishman
10-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Some important replies, updates, and changes:

Because of the starting times it is concievable to complete in both tournements right?

Yes, I will be running very tight rounds and adhereing to the start time of Vintage so that everyone can play in both events.

Ya know, no offence to the tournement structure, I actually really like it... but come on... it wouldn't be a tournement without someone being the "winner."

This is very true, hence my next point.

First place is going to be an endurance test. Like the f-in' Ironman of magic.

14 rounds ... over 18 hours of magic ... and will need to go almost undefeated. @_@

Top 8 will be vintage presumably?

Actually, it will be 10 rounds prior to the top 8 to determine the Eternal Champion of the night. And when you hear how you place in that top 8, you will see that you certainly don't need to go undefeated(though it won't hurt.)

This is probably going to be the greatest thing ever. Sadly this is probably going to force me to commit to building a legacy deck and buying resets x_x;;;

Here's to trying something new and being open to fun ideas.

Top 8 should obv. be a Beta booster draft.

I agree, unfortunately I don't have a Beta Set.

What I do have are a Revised Set, and Antiquities Set, and an Arabian Nights Set.

The top 8 will be a Revised, Arabian Nights, Antiquities Rotessiere Draft. All 500+ cards from these sets will be laid out on a table, and players will take turns choosing one card. When all the cards have been selected players will make a 40 card limited deck adding any number of basic lands of their choosing. This will be the format for the top 8. Truly an Eternal Event.

How do I make it into this top 8 of the night?

Simple. At the end of BOTH tournaments, the total number of match points in both events for each player will be calculated. The top 8 players according to these totals will be placed into the top 8 for additional prizes and the prize of the title "Eternal Champ of the Night."

What are these extra prizes?

Good question. I'm not sure yet. The winner will at least get a trophy. Since I have no idea of attendance I may have to base this added prize support on number of total entrants.

What about the Brunch, Magic Scattegories, Magic Trivia, etc?

I'm going to try this. Have Magic Scattegories and Magic Trivia while the top 8 are drafting and playing. This could happen right after a Brunch (which would be awesome if we can arrange to have tons of yummy food delivered there.) I will be looking into this.

The only thing that concerns me is the start time for legacy. I know I'd drop dead playing that late, never mind starting that late! I understand you want both groups to be able to play, and it does sound like a great idea and a lot of fun, I just think you'll lose a lot of people to sleep deprivation and have a lot of play mistakes for us old fogeys.

Somethings that I really want people to understand are:
1.) This is not replacing TMD Open or TML Open.
2.) This is something FUN(lets not forget this reason for playing magic) that I thought of when I think of parties I have gone to with fellow magic players. Granted, their will be no drinking, but all the comrodary and fun of a night of hanging out with buds and playing magic sounds like something I really was psyched about organizing.
3.) If you are not coming, that is okay with me. I don't expect this to be the size of a Waterbury. That said, there will be alot of people having alot of fun, and if you want to be part of this, don't miss out. Start planning now.
4.) If people came down for the one day Legacy Event, what is wrong with a one night event. Simply adjust your sleep schedule for that day. Drive Friday night, Sleep Satruday Day, and you will be right as rain for playing.

I'm just going to reiterate my concerns about an all-night event that is 6 hours away from where I live.

I don't see any benefit to running this all night (instead of all day, or over two days), unless me and whoever I might take with me not being there is a benefit.

Again, this tournament, because of its overnight structure, is much more condusive to local(New England, New York, New Jersey) players. I realize this. This is NOT to say that I don't want others to come up for the event, just that I don't know what to tell you about being upset about the difficulty of attending if you have a 12 hour drive.

I don't care if the event is sanctioned or not. It's all about playing in a cool tournament.

QFT...however...

Also, sanctioning=good, why would you want it unsanctioned? That's the only thing I don't understand. Even if you don't use your eternal rating, then you shouldn't care about it. For me, it's a good way to remember past tourneys as well and check to see who the people I played against are...

As I have said, I simply have not really had the time to look into sanctioning. Its not as though I am against it. However again...

In regards to that. If ray cannot sanction the tournament. Dragon's lair in West Springfield will sponsor the sanctioning of the legacy event.

All I am waiting for is a response from Ray himself.

Bill

Bill, call me. 860-618-3412. Let's talk about this possibility.

I'm not sure how I feel about the way you're running the prize support, Ray. let me think on it a bit and I'll get back to you.

You never got back to me with your opinions

Ray - I know GamingEtc. has a no outside drink policy. Is coffee going to be provided? God knows we'll need it.

Good question...I'll see if they will make an exception for this. God knows, people will need it.

There is not. This is simply because my prize support is based proportionally on the number of players.

This tourney sounds fun as hell. I don't see anything wrong with it. Jager bombs seem necessary for this type of event though!
AoD

Sorry, as was said, alcohol will be strictly prohibitted and anyone drinking on premises will be asked to leave. I hate to be the party pooper, but there will be minors and so I would have no tolerance for such a situation.

SillyMetalGAT
10-06-2006, 10:55 PM
I agree, unfortunately I don't have a Beta Set.

What I do have are a Revised Set, and Antiquities Set, and an Arabian Nights Set.

The top 8 will be a Revised, Arabian Nights, Antiquities Rotessiere Draft. All 500+ cards from these sets will be laid out on a table, and players will take turns choosing one card. When all the cards have been selected players will make a 40 card limited deck adding any number of basic lands of their choosing. This will be the format for the top 8. Truly an Eternal Event.

So let me get this straight..... your going to let the top 8 draft these sets????? Do the players get to keep the cards?

TheInfamousBearAssassin
10-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Alright, that sounds like an amazing top 8. I think I'm going to have to go even with the ridiculous time constraints... I suppose going to sleep at 4 and waking up around noon is doable.

It would make even less sense, I think, to sanction the first five rounds and not the last five rounds.

Iamfishman
10-07-2006, 01:37 AM
So let me get this straight..... your going to let the top 8 draft these sets????? Do the players get to keep the cards?

OH MY GOD...sorry for the wicked confusion.

The top 8 will be using my sets for the draft, but they WONT get to keep the cards, the prizes will consist of other things.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
10-07-2006, 02:07 AM
Damn.... I still might first pick Library of Alexandria though.

SillyMetalGAT
10-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Damn.... I still might first pick Library of Alexandria though.

Not if its sanctioned.

Bane of the Living
10-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Not if its sanctioned.

How the f can you sanction a Revised, Antiquities, AN draft?

Comon IBA why not pick the Rabid Wombat?

SillyMetalGAT
10-07-2006, 01:24 PM
How the f can you sanction a Revised, Antiquities, AN draft?

Comon IBA why not pick the Rabid Wombat?

Cant get in the top 8 through a sanctioned tournament..... n00b.

Angel of Despair
10-07-2006, 01:28 PM
This sounds fun, I think we're gonna go! I wont bring booze, don't worry, I Do want to make it through the night after all. :tongue: I've never played Vintage before. I want to try it, but question: If I don't play in the Vintage event, will it effect my chances at top 8?

PLEASE, PLEASE HAVE COFFEE!!

~AoD

SillyMetalGAT
10-07-2006, 01:47 PM
This sounds fun, I think we're gonna go! I wont bring booze, don't worry, I Do want to make it through the night after all. :tongue: I've never played Vintage before. I want to try it, but question: If I don't play in the Vintage event, will it effect my chances at top 8?

PLEASE, PLEASE HAVE COFFEE!!

~AoD

Only that you'll have 1 chance instead of 2 to get in the top8 glory

TheInfamousBearAssassin
10-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Cant get in the top 8 through a sanctioned tournament..... n00b.

They sanctioned Proxy Vintage just for this one night? That's very considerate of them. Either that or Andy Heckt's grudge runs deeper than it appears.

SillyMetalGAT
10-07-2006, 03:08 PM
They sanctioned Proxy Vintage just for this one night? That's very considerate of them. Either that or Andy Heckt's grudge runs deeper than it appears.

They will just for you IBA, but thats only because they really love you.

herbig
10-07-2006, 03:27 PM
That draft looks amazing. All doubt about whether or not it would be worth it to come to this tournament should be erased. So cool.

Iamfishman
10-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Even better news...it looks like the five rounds of Legacy will be sanctioned after all. I will post soon as I know this is definitively happening.

Thanks to Bill(Insetnamehere) for all his continued help.

TheDragonsLair
10-07-2006, 06:44 PM
We have not yet sent in our sanctioning requests for the month of November, so it does not look like it wil be a problem for our store to sponser the sanctioning of the event. Ray, if you don't mind, ill get your number from bill and call you to make sure that there will be no problems.

Iamfishman
10-07-2006, 06:47 PM
That is fine with me. 860-618-3412

insertnamehere
10-08-2006, 01:50 PM
With the help of Kevin(The Dragon's Lair) the tournament will be sanctioned one way or another. I can't take all of the credit for this.

Iamfishman
10-08-2006, 11:40 PM
I will probably go to this no matter what, but I have some concerns about the tourney, and they all relate to your proposed top 8 draft scenario.

First of all, I love the idea of a top 8 eternal draft. It makes me want to go and provides incentive to really work hard on both formats. With that said, people should be guaranteed to be able to play in both formats, because that seems like the only real way of making top 8. My concern lies with the fact that rounds can go long, especially with the type one being first. With the tourney schedule set up as is, it is very conceivable that people who play the final round of the vintage tourney miss the chance to play in legacy because of rounds going long. Even with strict enforcement of 50-60 minute rounds, there's going to be overlap every single round of at least ten minutes, and that's being generous.

...(edited for space)

Anyway, the nightmare scenario is one that nobody wants. It's bad for the players, it's bad for the store, and it's bad for you as the tourney organizer. My suggestion is to either push the legacy tourney back by half an hour - an hour, start the vintage tourney 1-2 hours earlier, or just make a guarantee that anyone who plays all five rounds of the vintage WILL be able to play in the legacy tourney, regardless of extenuating circumstances that can and will occur.

If you can guarantee people will be able to play in both tourneys, there's no doubt you'll get a rise in attendance. Especially with the added incentive of top 8 draft. Again, the concept is great, but if players don't have the opportunity to play in both tourneys, there's no way in hell they have a shot at it.

Which brings me to one final concern, albeit minor: what kind of prizes are we talking for top 8? I understand you're doing the draft mainly for fun/bragging rights for the players, and I respect that IMMENSELY, but it'd be cool if there were some significant prizes to go along with top 8. With the top 8 draft, you're asking players (although its only 8) to play another tourney, which could go anywhere from two to six hours additionally for each person. I'm guessing minimum two because of the setup for the draft, the actual draft, and then the first round of top 8. Also, the players don't keep the cards, since they do belong to you. That raises another concern: I hope you do decklists, because otherwise you're going to have the remote possibility of one or more players in top 8 ganking your cards. The community is great and all, but there's always a couple shady ones, and you never know if one or two slip into top 8.

So, that's all my concerns in a nutshell. :p Again, I'm probably going regardless, because I <3 your tourneys, but I hope that some or all of what I brought up could be addressed by you, because I really want to see this event do well.

- Dave Feinstein

Dave,

Your concerns are very valid, and those things you said had already crossed my mind. I realize I didn't make the first definitively clear though.

1.) Players who play in all 5 rounds of the Vintage event will be guaranteed AT LEAST 30 minutes(but much more if it is available) before it starts to prepare to play in the Legacy event. This I promise.

2.) On top of all other prizes given(keep in mind that those who top 8ed probabbly earned mega prizes through the other events), I'll probabbly throw in AT LEAST a mana drain for first(more based on attendance), and some blue duals for 2-4, and packs for 5-8. Please note that those people making top 8 already have likely won about 200 or so worth of prizes from their high performances in one or both events. I never like to have the prize support be TOO top heavy, and so I am looking to really get a large game of Magic Trivia and Scattegories going with tons of prizes, to try to "spread the wealth around".

3.) As it looks right now, I will have a setup so everyone can watch the top 8 draft and eat breakfast/brunch. Then, while the top 8 matches are being played, run the largest games of Magic Trivia/Scattegories so far to date.

4.) For the money cards in those sets that are being rotessired(sp?) there will be proxied. Off the top of my head that means LOA, Bazaar, Workshop, and Blue Duals. Past that I will be keeping the top 8 decks in the top 8 area(players may leave their deck with a judge to piss or whatever) and decks of those who lose will be collected by a judge.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
10-09-2006, 02:58 AM
With the help of Kevin(The Dragon's Lair) the tournament will be sanctioned one way or another. I can't take all of the credit for this.

I suppose 14 hour round trips, no sleep, plus not being able to play in the tournament is a good enough reason to skip this one, then.

herbig
10-13-2006, 06:39 PM
So, who doesn't think I'm going to win this one?

Bane of the Living
10-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Me. Ill tear you down. Bring that deck with the islands in it.

SillyMetalGAT
10-14-2006, 05:00 PM
I suppose 14 hour round trips, no sleep, plus not being able to play in the tournament is a good enough reason to skip this one, then.

What happened to the Vintage tourney?

TheInfamousBearAssassin
10-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Best possible record of 5-5? Vintage being a less interesting format? Something along those lines?

Any info about making this thing unsanctioned non-homosexualityandnotthegoodGeorgeMichaelkind,theevilGeorgeClooneykind then?

insertnamehere
10-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Ray,
Kevin needs some information from you before he sanctions the tourney. Can you call him at 413-731-7237. He is there friday night and sunday.

Bill

TheDragonsLair
10-20-2006, 06:50 PM
We have submitted the sanctioning of this event to Wizards, so everything should be good. I hope that all of you that have been asking to see these events sanctioned will come down to show support.

SillyMetalGAT
10-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Hell yeah!

insertnamehere
10-21-2006, 12:12 AM
We have submitted the sanctioning of this event to Wizards, so everything should be good. I hope that all of you that have been asking to see these events sanctioned will come down to show support.

As usual the Dragon's lair crew will be there to kick some @$$ and take top prizes.

insertnamehere
10-21-2006, 12:12 AM

As usual the Dragon's lair crew will be there to kick some @$$ and take top prizes.

Angel of Despair
10-21-2006, 02:11 PM
Yay, another chance to beat Bill!;)

insertnamehere
10-22-2006, 08:38 AM
I don't think that will happen because I will be playing a real deck this time. Why not go to the lair the week before and see if you can put your money where your deck is.

Bryant Cook
10-23-2006, 02:35 PM
So what exactly is happening? Is it 5 rounds of T1 then 5 Rounds of 1.5? Two separate tournaments? I'm confused... please update.

quicksilver
10-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Just to let you know Virginia will not be coming up to this. As interesting of an idea that this is, it is simply not do-able when you sandwich an all night tournement between two 6 hour drives.

herbig
10-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Just to let you know Virginia will not be coming up to this. As interesting of an idea that this is, it is simply not do-able when you sandwich an all night tournement between two 6 hour drives.

So I guess EPIC wins by default. I'll be there though, so you'll still need your Blessings, Trickbinds, Stifles, Pillars, REBs, Chalices, Labs, Chains, Rules, Pblasts, Extracts, Sirrocos, Mages, Believers, Stone Rains, Sinkholes, Cranials, Tsunamis, Boils, Geddons, Hyppies, Duresses, Therapies, Hymns, Abeyances, Chants, Counterspells, Forces, Dazes, Druids, 3spheres, 2spheres, Feldon's Canes, Mnemonic Nexi, GLights, and whatever other kinds of trash you think will stop me.

Ewokslayer
10-23-2006, 03:30 PM
You forgot about Cities, Angels, Dosans, and Obstinate Familars.

Nightmare
10-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Don't forget Teferis! Yeah, now that VA isn't coming up, there's pretty much no way I'm not going to top 8 this thing.

emidln
10-24-2006, 05:09 PM
So I guess EPIC wins by default. I'll be there though, so you'll still need your Blessings, Trickbinds, Stifles, Pillars, REBs, Chalices, Labs, Chains, Rules, Pblasts, Extracts, Sirrocos, Mages, Believers, Stone Rains, Sinkholes, Cranials, Tsunamis, Boils, Geddons, Hyppies, Duresses, Therapies, Hymns, Abeyances, Chants, Counterspells, Forces, Dazes, Druids, 3spheres, 2spheres, Feldon's Canes, Mnemonic Nexi, GLights, and whatever other kinds of trash you think will stop me.

I should really mail out a shrink-wrapped copy of UbaStax to someone who is going so I can see this in a tournament report:

Round X: 0-2 vs Hate.dec

Game 1, he goes mox, ancient tomb 3sphere. I force. on turn two, he plays Smokestack. I'm killed by Rolling Earthquake for 10.

Game 2, he goes ancient tomb, chalice @ 1 on turn 1. Turn 2, he tries to follow with Trinisphere (forced). EOT, turn 3 he Boils (remanded). Turn 4 he plays Chalice @ 3. Factory beats ensue.

herbig
10-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I should really mail out a shrink-wrapped copy of UbaStax to someone who is going so I can see this in a tournament report:

Game 1:
He spends tons of life and sacs lands to play lots of cool looking artifacts. I wish turn three for Rebuild. Without any threats on the board I wait until turn 10 to combo, in response to something colorless.

Game 2:
He gets the nuts draw of a turn 1 3sphere, turn 2 Smokestack. This is akin to Solidarity comboing on turn 2. You win some you lose some.

Game 3:
He trys to get stuff out but those damn Remands keep coming. Turn 4 he casts an Uba Mask! I let it resolve (Ancestrals!), combo out, bounce the Mask, then Stroke him for something like 40.

The deck barely works in Vintage.

SillyMetalGAT
10-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Game 1:
He spends tons of life and sacs lands to play lots of cool looking artifacts. I wish turn three for Rebuild. Without any threats on the board I wait until turn 10 to combo, in response to something colorless.

Game 2:
He gets the nuts draw of a turn 1 3sphere, turn 2 Smokestack. This is akin to Solidarity comboing on turn 2. You win some you lose some.

Game 3:
He trys to get stuff out but those damn Remands keep coming. Turn 4 he casts an Uba Mask! I let it resolve (Ancestrals!), combo out, bounce the Mask, then Stroke him for something like 40.

The deck barely works in Vintage.

None of that matters, I got the tech to own you. Ill see you at the winners table Herbig, and you better be packin the Uber sideboard.

Bryant Cook
10-24-2006, 07:14 PM
None of that matters, I got the tech to own you. Ill see you at the winners table Herbig, and you better be packin the Uber sideboard.

If you win(The tournament), I'll give a binder away. Anywho WHAT THE HELL IS THE TOURNAMENT STRUCTURE!?!?!

Ebinsugewa
10-24-2006, 09:21 PM
If you win a game, I'll give a binder away.

Edited for truth.

Citrus-God
10-24-2006, 09:22 PM

What?!?! Pox? Herbig is prepared. He'll be there with 2 Extra Fetchlands, 9 Islands, and 4 Misdirections in the SB to counter your discard and LD.

Getsickanddie
10-24-2006, 09:23 PM
EVENT 1: TYPE 1 MANA CLASH TOURNAMENT
Tourney Starts PROMPTLY at 6:00 PM(To avoid a prolonged tournament, this will be strictly enforced. Latecomers will be subject to a round 1 loss.)

Format: Vintage

Proxies: 10 Porxies + $1 per proxy(15 proxies maximum)

Prizes/Tournament Structure: The tournament, irregardless of how many players we have, will be run with 5 rounds of swiss. After the 5 rounds, prizes will be awarded based on standings after 5 rounds. This is what I have so far, tell me if it seems reasonable(keep in mind that the highest prizes are not on par with the highest prizes of Waterbury because more people will be receiving them(as opposed to one person in 175 winning a Lotus). Also, I welcome ideas for things I can use as choice for prizes.

Record Prize Choices:
5-0 Choice of: LOA/TIMETWISTER/$125/60 Packs
4-1 Choice of: 2 Dual Lands/25 boosters/$40
3-0-2 Choice of: Any Dual Land/12 boosters/$25
3-1-1 Choice of: Any Dual Land/10 boosters/$20
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVENT 2: LEGACY MANA CLASH TOURNAMENT
{{EDIT}}Unsacntioned...see my reply below for reason{{EDIT}}
Tourney Starts PROMPTLY at 12:00 AM-Midnight Sunday Morning(To avoid a prolonged tournament, this will be strictly enforced. Latecomers will be subject to a round 1 loss.)

Format: Legacy

Proxies: No proxies Allowed

Prizes/Tournament Structure: * See above for numbered reasons for doing this.

Record Prize Choices:
5-0 Choice of: 4 Sea Drake/LOA/TIMETWISTER/$125/60 Packs
4-1 Choice of: 2 Dual Lands/2 Pithing Needle/25 boosters/$40
3-0-2 Choice of: 1 Reset/Any Dual Land/1 Pithing Needle/12 boosters/$25
3-1-1 Choice of: Any Dual Land/1 Pithing Needle/10 boosters/$20
{{EDIT}}At the end of the night, the records of players for both events will be calculated to determine a combined match point total between the two events. The top 8 players based on total match points will play in a bracketed top 8. The prizes will include bragging rights as well as additional prize support, and the “Champion of the night trophy" for the winner.{{EDIT}}

@wastedlife - What exactly do you not understand from the first post?

SillyMetalGAT
10-24-2006, 09:30 PM
What?!?! Pox? Herbig is prepared. He'll be there with 2 Extra Fetchlands, 9 Islands, and 4 Misdirections in the SB to counter your discard and LD.

You obviously know nothing about the power of NetherHolocaust.dec. Nothing you need to worry about, the tech hasn't left New England yet.

Bane of the Living
10-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Don't forget Teferis! Yeah, now that VA isn't coming up, there's pretty much no way I'm not going to top 8 this thing.

Wow I wonder which of you cocky bastards will play a tier one deck the best. I cant wait to see you guys playing White Thresh and Solidarity for like the millionth time.

herbig
10-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Wow I wonder which of you cocky bastards will play a tier one deck the best. I cant wait to see you guys playing White Thresh and Solidarity for like the millionth time.

Is White Thresh tier one? It auto loses to Herbigarity.

emidln
10-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Is White Thresh tier one? It auto loses to Herbigarity.

Is there something that doesn't? I don't think that even the famed Thunderbluff has a shot vs Herbigarity.

Nightmare
10-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Wow I wonder which of you cocky bastards will play a tier one deck the best. I cant wait to see you guys playing White Thresh and Solidarity for like the millionth time.Who knew playing the best deck in the format was a mistake? Geez, its like I didn't help make it good or something. Get your rogue-deck-playing head out of your ass and realize it isnt about creating the best-new-thing for everyone. Some people actually enjoy winning. Besides, how could it be the best deck if no one played it?

troopatroop
10-26-2006, 09:09 PM

That's kinda the point. Thresh/Solidarity mirrors often come down to the better player winning. It's like chess. By playing rogue you're just taking away rooks and adding knights for yourself kinda...

...that was a terrible analogy.

Meatballsinpasta
10-30-2006, 09:20 PM
That's kinda the point. Thresh/Solidarity mirrors often come down to the better player winning. It's like chess. By playing rogue you're just taking away rooks and adding knights for yourself kinda...

...that was a terrible analogy.

Hehe :laugh:

<4

So like umm i wanna go to another big turny soon. :cry:

P.M. me if there's one near maryland. =]

Dxfiler
11-01-2006, 01:12 AM
DAVE FEINSTEIN...

IS COMING.

- Dave Feinstein

herbig
11-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Whats with the lack of hype over this tournament? How many people are planning on being there?

AnwarA101
11-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Whats with the lack of hype over this tournament? How many people are planning on being there?

I guess with no VA presence everyone is a little sad.

Nightmare
11-02-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm not. Easier tournament for me. The less Jack Elgin decks present, the better.

quicksilver
11-02-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm not. Easier tournament for me. The less Jack Elgin decks present, the better.

Wait, wouldn't the more Jack Elgin decks present make it easier for you?

Nightmare
11-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Only if I play combo. No guarantees on that yet.

That's right, 2 days before the event and no idea what I'm playing. That's just how I roll.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the other hand, if people were to play Truffle Shuffle in Vintage, I would not lose a single game.

herbig
11-02-2006, 02:59 PM
On the other hand, if people were to play Truffle Shuffle in Vintage, I would not lose a single game.

Truffle Shuffle is a house against Gifts.

Nightmare
11-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Truffle Shuffle is a house against Gifts.QFT. Turn 5 Haunting Echoes FTL. Whut U got Kolosuss?

Bane of the Living
11-04-2006, 01:26 PM
THIS IS TONIGHT! Who's going?

Getsickanddie
11-05-2006, 04:36 AM
It's 4:30am est case anyone is interested I just got off the phone with Mr. Nightmare for like the 6th time with updates on the two tournaments.....
Apparently the Type 1 event had 36 players.
The Type 1 metagame was fairly serious.
The 1.5 event had around 45 players.
The 1.5 metagame = Scrubby
At the time I called him 1 4 color Thresh deck was 4-0, and a matchup yet to be finished between Madness and Ravager affinity would yield another 4-0.
Nightmare is currently sitting at 3-1 with Solidarity, and needs to win the last round to make the top 8 draft. (after going 3-2 with pitchlong.)
Herbig playing Solidarity and was 2-1, currently in the middle of game three staring down a Meddling Mage naming e. truth, and an Arcane Lab. (I believe he went 3-2 in the Type One with Pitchlong as well.)
Wastedlife managed to scrub out with The Epic Storm, but to be fair lost to Meddling Mages, and triple fow gayness. (as well as to a side boarding mistake.)

NANTUKO_SHADY
11-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Any more updates about teh Legacy Top 8!? :confused:

herbigtoo
11-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I'm interested as well. How'd my brother do? Did he trash talk, get taken seriously for it, and then scrub out? That's just his style.

herbig
11-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I'm interested as well. How'd my brother do? Did he trash talk, get taken seriously for it, and then scrub out? That's just his style.

bastard

Nightmare
11-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Final update:

There were 45 for the Legacy Event, 36 for the Vintage.

I ended the Legacy portion 4-1, after winning game one against Landstill (after him breaking his Standstill to Stifle a fetch, which I then remanded, since he had no other blue up), and he scooped. Herbig went 3-2 with Solidarity also, Wastedlife went 3-2 with TES, losing only to triple Meddling Mage and triple FOW in one match, and losing game 3 vs. Goblins due to siding one of his Burning Wish targets into his deck. Jim Lampman (regged as "Jim") went 2-3 with Train Wreck, but to be fair, he lost to me, and he scooped to Herbig.

I made top 8, as did Herbig, and we got to draft the stupid sets, which was mad fun. I drafted a shitty g/w deck, and since it was like 7am at the point of deck construction, screwed up my mana and lost in the t8. Mike drafted R/B with Colossus of Sardia and Meekstone (Savage combo), and lost to the eventual winner in the t4. Awesome time, again, and thanks sooo much to Ray and to all who went, and to The EPIC Syn for both driving the furthest to go, and for taking 1/4 of the top 8. God we're awesome.

Citrus-God
11-06-2006, 03:04 AM
Final update:

There were 45 for the Legacy Event, 36 for the Vintage.

I ended the Legacy portion 4-1, after winning game one against Landstill (after him breaking his Standstill to Stifle a fetch, which I then remanded, since he had no other blue up), and he scooped. Herbig went 3-2 with Solidarity also, Wastedlife went 3-2 with TES, losing only to triple Meddling Mage and triple FOW in one match, and losing game 3 vs. Goblins due to siding one of his Burning Wish targets into his deck. Jim Lampman (regged as "Jim") went 2-3 with Train Wreck, but to be fair, he lost to me, and he scooped to Herbig.

I made top 8, as did Herbig, and we got to draft the stupid sets, which was mad fun. I drafted a shitty g/w deck, and since it was like 7am at the point of deck construction, screwed up my mana and lost in the t8. Mike drafted R/B with Colossus of Sardia and Meekstone (Savage combo), and lost to the eventual winner in the t4. Awesome time, again, and thanks sooo much to Ray and to all who went, and to The EPIC Syn for both driving the furthest to go, and for taking 1/4 of the top 8. God we're awesome.

w00t! Wastedlife went 3-2 with TES... nice. I should start playing that deck, since I only need a couple more Burning Wishes. And woah? Solidarity is doing well for everybody? That's pretty kewl. Any Sourcers get 5-0?

tivadar
11-06-2006, 08:01 AM
w00t! Wastedlife went 3-2 with TES... nice. I should start playing that deck, since I only need a couple more Burning Wishes. And woah? Solidarity is doing well for everybody? That's pretty kewl. Any Sourcers get 5-0?

There was only one 5-0 and that was 4c thresh. I was another 4-1 with my Wu Angel Stompy Variant (Puritans). So we did draw more of a crowd than vintage, that's awesome. There could not have been more than 3 4-1's there, so 2 are currently accounted for.

Many thanks to Ray for running an awesome tournament, even if it did start at midnight. I'm looking forward to your next event. This time I'll try not to make any Noob moves :-P. Though I suppose my first had to come at some point, who knew.

EDIT: Sorry, apparently 2 5-0's. So we at least know T5 went something like this:

1st-2nd:
4c Threshold
Affinity (DxFiler)
3rd-5th:
Solidarity (Mr. Nightmare)
Wu Angel Stompy/Puritans (Tivadar)
Goblins/w

Nightmare
11-06-2006, 08:06 AM
The other 4-1 was James Lee with Goblins/w. He didn't play in the vintage event, so had no chance to make top 8, and gave Feinstein the win in round 5.

Angel of Despair
11-06-2006, 03:47 PM
I bombed out. I brought Red Thresh, and went 2-3. I only went for the legacy event. I have to say, you guys that played Solidarity all through the night and made top 8 = AWESOME! I should have brought White thresh. Even Mr. Nightmare told me that. Red just isn't as good. I lost my round 4 matchup on my own though. I was wicked tired at that point...and don't laugh, but I sided in REB's against goblins....OMG how stupid. Next time I am going to bring lots of coffee...and maybe I will have a chance. It was so cool to meet people from The Source though.

Lego
11-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Wait, am I reading this correctly? People played Solidarity in Vintage and did well? That's cool... unless I'm wrong. And then it would have been cool. Herbit played Pitch Long like he always does, right?

Angel of Despair
11-06-2006, 04:13 PM
No, I meant Solidarity in Legacy. I wasn't there for the Vintage event, but Herbig did say he played Pitch long, and that Solidarity would be a breeze. It sure looked like it was. It looked just as natural as sleeping or eating.

herbig
11-06-2006, 04:16 PM
It looked just as natural as sleeping or eating.

And being awesome.

Dxfiler
11-06-2006, 04:26 PM
There were actually two 5-0's :p

I 5-0'd with affinity. I did get the concession last round from a friend, James Lee, but I like that matchup very much and had already beaten it earlier. Post board I have BEB's and plagues coming in. I showed James this and he was scared to death, as he had nothing for me.

I'll probably put a mini report here on just the legacy when I get the chance. Event was fun, top 8 draft was long and unwieldy. I wish herbig didnt jump into RB. GG draft :p

Nice seeing source people there. I enjoyed the event, and I hope everyone else did.

- Dave Feinstein

Angel of Despair
11-06-2006, 05:07 PM
We left before the top 8 even started...So what were the actual standings after top 8? Who won that spiffy trophy?

herbig
11-06-2006, 05:21 PM
I wish herbig didnt jump into RB.

I felt my deck was pretty solid and would have had a huge advantage over the other finals deck. White Weenie stomped me though.

Nightmare
11-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Like I said, my draft deck sucked. I did not prepare for this top 8 nearly enough. Shit, I felt like I had never drafted before.

And being awesome.QFT.