PDA

View Full Version : Help this deck (gold thing)

dahcmai
09-29-2006, 03:24 PM
This deck is something I threw together and it does surprisingly well against most everything except typical Burn and Goblins which are oviously too fast for a deck like this to handle. It rips up combo, Landstill, and Thresh which is nice but loses terribly to Goblins, sligh, and burn and I mean bad.

4 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
4 Underground Sea
4 Tundra
4 Island
2 Plains
1 Swamp
4 Pithing Needle
4 Shadowmage Infiltrator
3 Exalted Angel
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Cranial Extraction
4 Fact or Fiction
4 Brainstorm
3 Absorb
4 Counterspell
4 Force of Will

SB
3 Chill
4 Meddling Mage
3 Wrath of God
1 Aura Fracture (for enchantress if you're wondering)
1 Hydroblast

Any ideas on how to improve the goblins and burn game? The Chills and hydro just don't seem to cut it. I tried Chalices and they were too mana intensive to do much to the burn deck around here. (he boards into 2 CC stuff)

Engineered Plague was decent but I still need something more. This deck is just sooo slow. I guess I should give up but I really like the stupid thing. I would just like to see a blue control come back I guess.

I know I am going to get trashed for using the Cranials, but it's one of the tricks of the deck cutting 4 of's out of an opponent. Using in conjunction with the Needles and Mages make for a devastating effect and I would rather not cut them. That's exactly why it has such a good game against other control and combo.

quicksilver
09-29-2006, 04:36 PM
Any ideas on how to improve the goblins and burn game?

Sphere of law, all you have to do is counter/remove the pile drivers and they can't win. Also a house against burn. With counters and swords you should have no problem staying alive till you get to 4 mana.

Ta Jugs
09-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Im sure threre are better things than cranial extraction. And why not play mana leak over absorb.Mana leak is very underplayed. Meddling mage should be main, this card greatly imprives your solidarity matchup.

dahcmai
09-29-2006, 07:14 PM
The only reason it's in the board is because no one around here plays Solidarity. It would probably be main in that case.

Sadly enough Survival is more common due to the apparent lack of Pithing needles in the area so I main Needle instead. It would probably be reversed if I played in a major tourney.

In my area, the metagame is strange.

Red dominates heavily. I play no less than 7 red decks every saturday (Legacy tourney day). More than likely due to the amount of really poor magic players with no money to make something better. I have put anti-Red stuff main tons of times. Usually, it comes down to some red deck and a random combo deck that's actually good like Iggy pop in the finals. I just would like to playa control deck. I'm not big on Combo or Red.

Sphere of law sounded like a great idea, but due to the amount of red there actually are a few good ones that can kill 4th turn with not much problem. I was actually starting to think Sanctimony/Warmth might be a good idea.