PDA

View Full Version : [Deck]Mono Black Control

Annuro
10-02-2006, 01:28 AM
Is monoblackcontrol playable in Legacy? does it stand a chance against all the 2 or 3 coloured decks with duals in it? That's what I've been thinking about lately.

If it stands a chance in the legacy format it may be a good alternative for the more budget players among us (like me). it's not realy cheap, but you don't need Fetch and Duals to make it a bit playable

With some friends i made This decklist.

[Land]
22 Swamp
3 Cabal Coffers

[Creatures]
3 hypnotic specter
2 Helldoser

[Spells]
4 Dark Ritual
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Duress
4 Consume Spirit
4 Mutilate
3 Funeral Charm
3 Diabolic Edict

[Artifacts]
2 Staff of Domination
2 Oblivion Stone

No sideboard yet. But we thought about Infest, Chalice of the void etc

The card Choises

Dark Ritual. In the main sometimes useless, but it is absolutly a must to play your sb cards as quick as you can

Specter Because it makes Ritual a bit usefull in the main. And it can win you games on his own.

Funeral Charm; against lackey's etc. and with discard it makes it usefull against combo. (that's why i don't play innocent blood)

the rest is pretty obivous.

The questions we asked were;
Is it playable?
Does it need more Creature hate?
Do you need more creatures as kill?
And how should the sb look like

I hope on some comments and good discussions cause the list needs some finetuning, and feel free to drop you're own lists

valor
10-02-2006, 11:04 AM
The questions we asked were;
Is it playable?
Does it need more Creature hate?
Do you need more creatures as kill?
And how should the sb look like

There is a B/W control deck and a B/R control deck floating around, and while those give a lot more option, this is something that has a chance of working if you really like it, imo, if it works in your meta. Without some idea of that that is, here are a few suggestions:
Run Wasteland, Bloodstained Mire (even mono decks could use fetches, but theyre not required), and maybe even cabal pit.
Dark Confidant is what makes these kind of decks even possibly viable.
Sinkhole is synonomous with black control, and is awesome in this deck.
Nantuko Shade, is another awesome creature, imo, a lot of people dont like it but yes, you need more creatures.
I would up the Edicts to 4, creatures are a huge part of this format, so yes, you need more creature hate.
Im sure I missed something important here.
What I would take out:
Consume Spirit, althought its cool with Coffers Nantuko Shade is cooler.
Some land, it pretty land heavy.
Mutilate I would move to the sideboard, unless you really feel you need it. I dont know if its even needed at all.
Infest is a definite sideboard option, Pithing Needle is basically required by any control deck, and Engineered Plague is the only thing that would make Goblins close to winnable.
Also I dont know what Helldoser does and it didnt come up in searches (unless im retarted, which is possible) but I cant give an opinion on that.

Also Night's Whisper seems solid, you might want to test that as well.
Edit 2: I dont know how I forgot, but Withered Wretch In the Board isnteven negociable in this format. Also Cabal Pit and Darkblast seem solid, I dont know if you have tested them or not.