PDA

View Full Version : Bribery and Corruption

Tacosnape
10-02-2006, 12:52 PM
So here's the situation.

At a local card shop, the store owner is running sanctioned tournaments, ranging from FNM to Extended to Release Events to Legacy. This person also makes a habit of playing in his own tournaments under a different DCI#.

One of the players at the local shop makes it a habit of buying himself a higher DCI rating (And has done so into the top 150 or so in the world). In a FNM tournament, said player faced said store owner and was beaten by said store owner, 2-1. The player offered the Store Owner several packs out of the tournament prize in exchange for the Store Owner claiming a loss and giving the win to the Player. The Store Owner agreed, and shady shit went down.

My question is, since the person actually in charge of the event has no interest in maintaining the integrity of these tournaments, what can I do, besides not play in them? Is there a proper procedure for reporting something like this to the DCI if you're not in a position of any authority? Will anything realistically be done?

Thanks.

calosso
10-02-2006, 12:55 PM
So here's the situation.

At a local card shop, the store owner is running sanctioned tournaments, ranging from FNM to Extended to Release Events to Legacy. This person also makes a habit of playing in his own tournaments under a different DCI#.

One of the players at the local shop makes it a habit of buying himself a higher DCI rating (And has done so into the top 150 or so in the world). In a FNM tournament, said player faced said store owner and was beaten by said store owner, 2-1. The player offered the Store Owner several packs out of the tournament prize in exchange for the Store Owner claiming a loss and giving the win to the Player. The Store Owner agreed, and shady shit went down.

My question is, since the person actually in charge of the event has no interest in maintaining the integrity of these tournaments, what can I do, besides not play in them? Is there a proper procedure for reporting something like this to the DCI if you're not in a position of any authority? Will anything realistically be done?

Thanks.

Write a complaint to the DCI. They will investigate.

Tacosnape
10-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Write a complaint to the DCI. They will investigate.

Where would I send it?

Machinus
10-02-2006, 02:52 PM
I thought this thread was some kind of bad enchantment combo.

Atwa
10-02-2006, 03:24 PM
I thought this thread was some kind of bad enchantment combo.

Me too :)

But I agree, you defenatly should report this to the DCI, since these kind of people ruin the game (at least the organised part of it). This is a very big act of cheating and should be punnished by at least a 2 year ban.

The only other matter, is to make sure the store owner doesn't find out you've send the complaint. When he'll find out, you can make sure he'll at least ban you from his store and tournaments, but if there is a lot of corruption going on, I'm not sure you even want to play over there.

kirdape3
10-02-2006, 06:01 PM
E-Mail Andy Heckt at andy.heckt@wizards.com . He's the head of the Organized Play department and will certainly investigate.

If this is true, then all parties concerned get a 5 year ban. The ONLY reason that Bob Maher got off with a 6 month +b is that he turned himself and everybody else in. Ask Theron Martin how fun the last 5 years have been as far as Magic's concerned.

advisory6000
10-02-2006, 08:50 PM
3. Player Eligibility
Anyone is eligible to participate in a DCI-sanctioned tournament except the following:
* The tournament organizer of record

The tournament organizer would be ban running tournments for 4 years and 2 more years for the cheating.. The player would get 2 years and maybe more for detail with a tournament official.

umbowta
10-02-2006, 09:58 PM
3. Player Eligibility
Anyone is eligible to participate in a DCI-sanctioned tournament except the following:
* The tournament organizer of record

The tournament organizer would be ban running tournments for 4 years and 2 more years for the cheating.. The player would get 2 years and maybe more for detail with a tournament official.This is the technicality that allows me to play in the events that I promote at Pandemonium. The "organizer of record" is store owner, Brandon Petitpren. Brandon handles all the prizes, entry fees, and DCI reporting but he NEVER plays in the events.

advisory6000
10-03-2006, 04:04 AM
This is the technicality that allows me to play in the events that I promote at Pandemonium. The "organizer of record" is store owner, Brandon Petitpren. Brandon handles all the prizes, entry fees, and DCI reporting but he NEVER plays in the events.

A organizer is anyone that was taken the test and pass it and has current organizer status with the DCI. Does not matter if your a store owner or someone like me that is a organizer thats does not own a store. To run a official REL 1 DCI event you must have 8 players and a organizer, if the organizer is playing who's running the event? With this being FNM the guy pretty much just fucked himself and his players for any section events in that areas.. You don't wanna be blackbook by the DCI.

Tacosnape
10-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Advice appreciated. Thanks, guys. Call me crazy for still putting some stock in the integrity of magic.

Please Lock/Hide/Do Sneaky Ninja Shit With this thread should I decide to report this.