PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Cerebral Assassin?

Jaynel
10-07-2006, 07:50 PM
So basically, I've been messing around with Goblin Welder in Legacy for a few months now. Most of my decks started with abusing Mindslaver, and I tried to port Control Slaver to Legacy. I learned, however, that without Mana Drains and Moxen, the deck sucks. It was taking way to long to get the lock going and win the game.

I was looking through some old decklists, and I saw Cerebral Assassin. This deck originally had a transformational board to go from a Welder tricks mode into a Dragon build. Though I couldn't include the transformational board (some CA decks also don't run the Dragon SB), I began to mess around with the maindeck until I was happy with my results.

I'll start with the decklist, then explain my choices.

Taps For Mana (27):
4 Great Furnace
4 City of Brass
3 Vault of Whispers
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Gemstone Mine
4 Underground River
4 Mox Diamond

Taps For Busted Shit (4):
4 Goblin Welder

Taps to Beat Face (and does other stuff) (4):
2 Sundering Titan
1 Triskelion
1 Pentavus

Draw, Search, and Disruption (19):
4 Careful Study
4 Intuition
4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Fact or Fiction
4 Duress

Good in Legacy? (2):
1 Possessed Portal
1 Mindslaver

Plan B (4):
4 Animate Dead

Sideboard:
1 Triskelion
1 Platinum Angel
1 Silent Arbiter
4 Propaganda
4 Pithing Needle
4 Chain of Vapor

The Manabase: The manabase gets whomped by Wasteland, yet it is also unaffected by Sundering Titan. Artifact lands help fuel Welder and Thirst for Knowledge. Mox Diamond provides some acceleration and cannot be wasted. Both the 5 color lands really help out without too much of a downside. City of Brass has never hurt that badly, and Gemstone Mine's counters are usually only used the first few turns until you can get a better manabase up.

The Other Really Good 1cc Goblin:
Goblin Welder - It seems to me that Goblin decks are showing up less and less, and removal seems to be diminishing a little. However, he is still a very fragile guy. You don't really have much protection for him sans Duress, but he can be brought back in a pinch with an Animate Dead.

The Beats:
Sundering Titan - Triggers on welding in and welding out, yet your manabase is unaffected by this giant robot. Swings for the win, and can be animated as well.
Pentavus - Chump blocks until no tomorrow, provides stuff to weld out and makes Slaver locks possible.
Triskelion - Crowd control and also beats.

Draw/Search/Disruption:
Careful Study - Gets good artifacts in the yard, basically. Filters through the deck.
Thirst for Knowledge - A bomb in Control Slaver, a bomb here. Draws into stuff while dropping robots in the yard.
Intuiton - Always solid. Goes for triple welder if you need them, fat guys for the win, or any other stuff.
Fact or Fiction - Yes, yes, FOFEOTYL remains true. It's no fun making piles, because a fatty will almost always end up in the yard while you get a Welder, Animate, or more draw.
Duress - Protects Welder, gets rid of troublesome cards.

Random Stuff:
Possessed Portal - Good for soft locks, helps stall if you have better board position than they do.
Mindslaver - Just one activation can wreck some decks. Other times it's an "oops, you're not taking another turn." A 10 mana Time Walk at the very worst.
Animate Dead - Gets back dead Welders, goes for fatties when no Welders are around.

Sideboard:
Propaganda - slows gobbos and other fast aggro.
Pithing Needle - shuts off Crypt and other graveyard hate.
Chain of Vapor - bounces Leyline, Ground Seal (?), and troublesome permanents.
Trike, Plat, and Arbiter - anti-aggro guys.

This deck still has a lot of room for change, I think. Of course, it loses Moxen and Bazaar of Baghdad in the port, which hurts a ton. Also, Welder is very fragile in a format that packs a bunch of removal. The combo matchup needs some work, perhaps some more disruption in the board.

Lemme know what you guys think.

Brushwagg
10-07-2006, 09:06 PM
This really looks like Welder Survival without the Survivals. I would look at that thread to help out.

I do see a couple of problems too.

1. How do you protect your Welders? Your deck really depends on them to win. I would look at maybe Lighting Greaves or something. WelderSur used Sylvan Safekeeper.

2. The biggest problem is Graveyard hate. I see the Needles in the board to help aganist Crypt and etc... But Jotun Grunt and Loaming Shaman can give you some poblems. In my veiw this is really what is keeping Welder decks down is the Graveyard hate.

Eldariel
10-07-2006, 09:09 PM
I'd definately play Forces here seeing that much of your gameplan relies on a 1/1 and all your blue cards are basically expendable since they're only manipulation and set up-cards. I'd play it over Duress in a heartbeat when talking about Legacy.

SillyMetalGAT
10-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Also, you may want to try Reanimate over Animate Dead... that way you could get 1st turn fat or Welder. That would definately help you out. Also have you considered Nullstone Gargoyle as a possibility against Control?